Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

LSU and Arkansas presidents…

image.gif

If I had a time machine I would go back to 1950 and start a university. Subsidized to the ends of the earth and then football TV deals on top of that. God, they print money (our money). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think there’s a good chance the big 12 implodes entirely before Texas and Oklahoma would have to pay a dime.

I wonder if the remnants of the Big 12 are poached by the AAC? I’m sure Kansas and maybe even ISU head to the B1G. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Its one or the biggest reasons why I don't understand LSU and Arkansas voting yes.

Don't think they had a choice

Weird to say but I am actually very excited about this and what it will do to the schedule. No way the East/West format survives. We will have to go to four team pods or no divisions and three or four protected games instead. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't think they had a choice

So a mandate instead of a vote. 

47 minutes ago, woodford said:

I wonder if the remnants of the Big 12 are poached by the AAC? I’m sure Kansas and maybe even ISU head to the B1G. 

@woodfordMay not have to poach from the conference. Word is the rest of the Texas universities are actively shopping themselves to the PAC 12 right now.

28 minutes ago, gr82be said:

So a mandate instead of a vote. 

@gr82be Unlikely. The money was just too good to pass up. The only team that likely fought behind closed doors till the bitter end was A&M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

so what's the deal with the "pod system"?  what does that mean,exactly? you always play the other 3 and rotate others?

Yes.  It allows to host every non pod team within 4 years in a 9 game conference season. But you basically alternate playing the other teams not in pod every other year. 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

If this is true then be prepared for a&m to probably shop around and try to leave the SEC🤷 because thats a s***ty thing to do.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

so what's the deal with the "pod system"?  what does that mean,exactly? you always play the other 3 and rotate others?

I would guess so.  The most efficient way I could see it working is playing the three in your own pod every year and then playing two of the four in each of the other three pods on a rotating basis.

Keeping some annual rivalries intact would be trickier in a pod format that's reasonably balanced, though.  But, that seems to matter less and less anymore.  

Just now, autiger88 said:

If this is true then be prepared for a&m to probably shop around and try to leave the SEC🤷 because thats a s***ty thing to do.

I tend to not put a whole lot of stock in Bohls, but this would not be surprising...and yeah, if true, that's definitely s***ty.  I'm going to hold off on further comment on this one at the moment, though.

3 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

"A&M was kept in the loop the entire time" is a title of a thread on the A&M board, but I can't read the contents. So who knows.

I assume you play each team in your pod every year and 2 in each pod every year

If they do go pod I'd be interested in seeing who Auburn ends up with.  Knowing our luck it'll be Alabama, UGA, and a LSU/TaMu/Florida.  Another probably pod setup would be Bama, Vandy, Mizzou, Miss State and Auburn, UGA, Florida, Oklahoma.  

2 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I agree but I really doubt a&m leaves nowhere else can they get the type money SEC generates for them except maybe Big 10. There are other reason I don't think they will leave but you never know we shall see......

• Like 2

Saw this mentioned as a way to try to keep the big 12 afloat.  I really wouldn't mind it honestly. A&M, Mizzou, Nebraska and Colorado returning to the big 12, but when it's all said and done, it probably won't happen. I just miss the old big 12 lol

Edited by Maverick.AU

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Saw this mentioned as a way to try to keep the big 12 afloat.  I really wouldn't mind it honestly. A&M, Mizzou, Nebraska and Colorado returning to the big 12. 

Mizzou ain't leaving the SEC no way no how $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Mizzou ain't leaving the SEC no way no how $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I figure not,  just didn't know if the big 12 would get desperate and start trying to make things happen lol

• Like 1

some act like they don't mind paying, others, like this tweet, seem to think they wait until 2025. For scheduling and alignment purposes, that might be the most logistical option, but do Texas and OU really want to wait that long?

11 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

"A&M was kept in the loop the entire time" is a title of a thread on the A&M board, but I can't read the contents. So who knows.

I hope they were because A&M doesnt deserve that. 

• Like 2

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

some act like they don't mind paying, others, like this tweet, seem to think they wait until 2025. For scheduling and alignment purposes, that might be the most logistical option, but do Texas and OU really want to wait that long?

I don't see this as being true at all. It already looks like it's a done deal if that's the case there won't be any waiting I believe they are in by next year. 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I also can't help laughing at the $70 exit fee part lol. I know it was a typo, but I laughed harder than I should 

20 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

be prepared for a&m to probably shop around and try to leave the SEC🤷 because thats a s***ty thing to do.

Nope! As pissed off as they are they are not going to pass up the money the SEC is going to make them.

• Like 1