Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

I'm gonna say the same thing I said on the thread where the newbie broke the info.   This is all leaked info for leverage in renegotiations with FOX.    More money and getting Oklahoma and Texas off of that "Big noon" game.    Yes, there is smoke, only because they are fanning the flames enough to make it not look like a bluff.   

Interesting to talk about, but I don't think it will ever happen.

According to Geoff Ketchum of orange bloods

Both Texas and Oklahoma are expected to inform the big 12 early next week they will not be extending their grant of rights deal with the big 12

47 minutes ago, shuebru said:

I'm gonna say the same thing I said on the thread where the newbie broke the info.   This is all leaked info for leverage in renegotiations with FOX.    More money and getting Oklahoma and Texas off of that "Big noon" game.    Yes, there is smoke, only because they are fanning the flames enough to make it not look like a bluff.   

The Texas/OU game has historically been played at noon-ish because of the state fair.  That game ain't moving.

Other games though....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The Texas/OU game has historically been played at noon-ish because of the state fair.  That game ain't moving.

Other games though....

Brad. It is time for you to march up to the president’s and then the AD’s office there in Austin and lay down the law that this ain’t happening. We are counting on you to put a stop to this nonsense. Hell no to UT (although I wouldn’t mind OU)

• Haha 1

#BREAKING: Early next week, the @TexasLonghorns and @UofOklahoma will send a letter to the @Big12Conference stating that neither school will renew their media contracts when they expire in 2025. -more-

#BREAKING: SOURCES: After notifying the @Big12Conference early next week, @TexasLonghorns and @UofOklahoma will petition the @SEC for membership. -more-

per twitter ^

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Mega conferences are coming.  I'm resigned to that.  Just keep Texas out of the SEC.

I think OU would be a 14-0 vote to admit.  UT is the one that brings baggage.

Let's just bring OSU with them and still serve the purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Orangebloods publisher Geoff Ketchum and I have checked in with multiple sources on Wednesday and asked about Texas’ desire to leave the Big 12 and join the SEC. Texas and Oklahoma are ready to make that move. A high-level university official informed Orangebloods the expectation is that Texas and Oklahoma would inform the Big 12 as early as next week that both schools intend to decline on extending the existing set of media rights. The contract expires in 2025. "That should start the dominos," the source told Orangebloods. That major piece of news Orangebloods learned coincides with an earlier report on Wednesday. Houston Chronicle’s Brent Zwerneman was the first to report Texas and Oklahoma reached out to the SEC about joining that conference. Zwerneman also said, “An announcement could come within a couple of weeks concerning the potential addition of UT and OU to the league, the person said, which would give the SEC 16 schools and make it the first national super-conference.” In addition, Orangebloods was told a move to the SEC would signal the end of the LHN and that the school has come to terms with this. Another source told me he would not be surprised if LHN simply folded into the SEC Network (both are owned by ESPN).

#BREAKING: Early next week, the @TexasLonghorns and @UofOklahoma will send a letter to the @Big12Conference stating that neither school will renew their media contracts when they expire in 2025. -more-

quote:
#BREAKING: SOURCES: After notifying the @Big12Conference early next week, @TexasLonghorns and @UofOklahoma will petition the @SEC for membership. -more-

either its really happening or someone is pulling a great big troll job

Thanks but no thanks. Texas and OU ruined the SWC then they almost ruined the BIG 12 back in 2011 when Texas became greedy and signed the Longhorn network. Why do you think Colorado, Mizzou, T A&M, and Nebraska all jumped ship?? They were tired of these two teams taking the lions share and leaving the rest with scraps. Also, Texas can barely make it through the Big 12 schedule there would be no way they would be able to handle the SEC. If this were to happen and they were to join the SEC, Texas would have to drop the Longhorn network.

Texas & OU, looking to leave Big 12, contacts SEC, who has interest in both schools, sources told @Stadium. “This will take some time but there is interest on both sides,” source said. UT plans to notify Big 12 it doesn’t want to extend grant of rights

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jesus, reading that Texas Horn thread, their fans seem like a treat, don’t they? That’s all we need is another entitled, we’re better than you fan base to have to listen to along with Bama and UGA.

UT could actually compete with the bama propaganda and might have enough to call bama out on their tactics

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

They're worse than Bama in many ways.

M...A...N...Y

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

A&M and Mizzou are hard no votes.

Arkansas hates UT and left the SWC largely because of them.  Likely no as well.

Only need one more no to sink this and remember, LSUs AD used to be the AD at Aggie.

I think LSU may refuse due to recruiting areas and the advantage over UTx in Texas because of the SEC

• Like 1

I don’t have a vote in this matter, but if I did I would go to the mat to keep Texas out of the SEC.  They are bad news and would always want special treatment.  That special treatment of UT is precisely why the Big 12 is going downhill and why its predecessors failed.  I fail to see how the SEC would gain with the addition of UT. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

C468BC35-4C91-42BC-ACC4-6119768AB5CD.jpe

i guess its safe to say POD B would be us, bammer and nobody else

One caveat that I would add is a permanent annual cross-pod rivalry game--obviously we would play UGA.

Edited by CT Tiger

I genuinely hope this doesn't happen. The competition is stiff enough without adding OU. 

A&M will block UT. I cannot see Mizzou and Arky going for either being added either.

If LSU is opposed to another Texas school, this whole thing folds. 

34 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I don’t have a vote in this matter, but if I did I would go to the mat to keep Texas out of the SEC.  They are bad news and would always want special treatment.  That special treatment of UT is precisely why the Big 12 is going downhill and why its predecessors failed.  I fail to see how the SEC would gain with the addition of UT. 

backing-you-get-yours.gif

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Easy question:

Name one conference that Texas has left better?

Answer: None

SWC failed in large part due to backroom UT shenanigans.

Nebraska, Mizzou, and Aggies all bolted the Big 12 because of UT and their arrogance.

I live here in Austin y'all.  You have no freaking idea what we'd be signing up for.  I'm not talking about on-field stuff.  Off the field, they are a cancer to conferences.

Every last bit of this...attitudinally, they're locusts.  It'd be like knowingly giving yourself herpes to add them.  That's about as nicely as I can put it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

One caveat that I would add is a permanent annual cross-pod rivalry game--obviously we would play UGA.

Not that we have it currently but playing Georgia every year in the Pod alignment would cancel out the potential of playing all SEC teams within a two year timeframe.  I am wondering if they try to make that happen. 

1 hour ago, bootskii said:

Thanks but no thanks. Texas and OU ruined the SWC then they almost ruined the BIG 12 back in 2011 when Texas became greedy and signed the Longhorn network. Why do you think Colorado, Mizzou, T A&M, and Nebraska all jumped ship?? They were tired of these two teams taking the lions share and leaving the rest with scraps. Also, Texas can barely make it through the Big 12 schedule there would be no way they would be able to handle the SEC. If this were to happen and they were to join the SEC, Texas would have to drop the Longhorn network.

OU wasn't in the SWC

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

UT could actually compete with the bama propaganda and might have enough to call bama out on their tactics

M...A...N...Y

I think LSU may refuse due to recruiting areas and the advantage over UTx in Texas because of the SEC

I truly don't think the conference knows what its signing up for in Texas.  A&M fit like a glove. 

This.....this will not be good.

• Love 1

Texas wouldn't have the muscle to flex in the SEC the way they do in the Big 12 or old SWC.  Oklahoma is the only program with any stature in the current Big12.  Bama, UGA, Florida, Tennessee, TaMu, and Auburn aren't going to let Texas push them around.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

No problem with OU joining but god no on UT. I've been to a UT/Auburn game in Austin........it sucks

UT fans are nausuaing

I haven't seen much of them (or paid much attention lol) but always felt they would be a lot like Alabama fans. After reading their forum for about 5 mins I can say that they are indeed like Alabama fans, without the recent success.

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

C468BC35-4C91-42BC-ACC4-6119768AB5CD.jpe

i guess its safe to say POD B would be us, bammer and nobody else

I personally would like to see them swap Arkansas and A&M so that the "old big 12" would basically be its own pod.