Harsin: Team 60% vacinated

mb711

Just win baby.

the guys on the team are grown and can decide what’s best for them. No matter what any of us think we know it’s up to the player, staff to make the best individual decisions for themselves.Keep in mind there is still little info on the long term affects of the vaccine. Can any of us believe the media ?  Nobody really cares about Scalici or his opinions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

The vax has significant side effects too.

My wife was really sick for 2-3 days after each shot. When people hear stories like this it’s  scary. That being said, I think people should be vaccinated.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm not going into the vast differences between the vaccine and hydroxychloroquine. They have so little in common. It was an odd comparison. 

Im not comparing the drugs. Im comparing how hydroxychloroquine wasnt tolerated last year to the point you couldnt even speak about it. Doctors trying to talk about it were suppressed. 

Im saying some are concerned about what else is being suppressed, like the effects of  the vaccine. 

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

You're not wrong about its uses but my point was about the information being suppressed last year. People, including myself are concerned about the vaccine, which isnt FDA aaproved yet and I undedstand why. There is info out there and we dont know what to trust. Doctors have been silenced as well.

5 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

The vax has significant side effects too.

I mean, I know what I trust, and it's not difficult at all. Nor is it political. I mean, the vaccine was a win for the prior administration. The current one can only claim the rollout. I know that people are getting rich but that's how healthcare is designed to work in this country. 

I know hundreds of people who have gotten the vaccine. Not a single serious issue among them. 5,000 people in my organization. Vast majority vaccinated, no issues reported.

I'm sure if you look in the right places you can find people who have heard stuff, though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

My wife was really sick for 2-3 days after each shot. When people hear stories like this it’s  scary. That being said, I think people should be vaccinated.

But no ongoing effects, correct? Rough couple days after is not unusual and typically just a sign of the vaccine working properly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This is stupid. He gets paid to win football, not be a medical expert. There's no right answer to this question for his position, he'd be crucified either way. The whole "he needs to be role model" or "greater good is at stake"- it's infuriating. COVID Vaccinations, much like votes and religion, are up to NOBODY but yourself. 

Disclaimer- I work in healthcare and got both doses of Moderna, and I think it's smart to get the vaccines, but it's 10000% not my choice to make for everyone else and there is a good bit of conflicting data out there.

This. Some of you are making extreme statements without a danged clue. I happen to be married to a medical expert. While she and I are vaccinated due to our age, she is adamant that the data in no way supports our HS age son getting the shot, vs the risks from the vaccines. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, I know what I trust, and it's not difficult at all. Nor is it political. I mean, the vaccine was a win for the prior administration. The current one can only claim the rollout. I know that people are getting rich but that's how healthcare is designed to work in this country. 

I know hundreds of people who have gotten the vaccine. Not a single serious issue among them. 5,000 people in my organization. Vast majority vaccinated, no issues reported.

I'm sure if you look in the right places you can find people who have heard stuff, though.

My wife wont take it because she doesnt trust the government citing the Tuskegee experiment. Many of my co-workers feel the same even with monetary incentives to take the vax, they wont do it.

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/nick-saban-pretty-close-to-90-percent-of-players-have-been-vaccinated

Excerpt:

"I think there's two issues when it comes to vaccines," Saban said. "First of all, we have a majority of our players who have gotten the vaccine, and we've given every player on our team the choice to do that. I think there's a couple things to consider. First of all, you have a personal decision, which comes down to risk — risk of COVID, relative risk to the vaccine. It's the same thing. We don't really have a lot of knowledge about how this stuff is going to affect people in the future, so that's a personal decision that everybody has the right to make.

"On the other hand, you also have a competitive decision to make because you're going to be a part of a team. So how does the personal choice and decision you make affect the team?...

"But players have to understand that you are putting your teammates in a circumstance and situation. We can control what you do in our building. We cannot control what you do on campus and when you go around town, who you're around, who you're associated with, and what you bring into our building.

"So every player has a personal decision to make to evaluate the risk of COVID relative to vaccine, and then they have a competitive decision to make on how it impacts their ability to play in games, because with the vaccine you probably have a better chance. Without it, you have a lesser chance that something could happen, a bigger chance that something could happen that may keep you from being on the field, which doesn't enhance your personal development.

"Then how does it affect the team if you bring it to the team? So these are choices and decisions that every player has to make. Our approach has been I think we've had three medical doctors sort of give lectures to our team about the pros and cons of the whole COVID circumstance, the vaccine circumstance, so that they can make intelligent decisions about what they do."

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AU80cruiser said:

My wife wont take it because she doesnt trust the government citing the Tuskegee experiment. Many of my co-workers feel the same even with monetary incentives to take the vax, they wont do it.

Not that you or your wife give a damn, but that one I get. There are folks that have a legitimate distrust that they can't shake and I don't blame them.

I do think there is a lot of distrust out there that isn't similarly earned and is even disingenuous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shabby said:

I wonder if he changes his tune when unvacinnated players start missing games. Pros and Cons? Seriously like their are any comparable cons. 

How are you going to know those that miss are unvaccinated? Already some Olympic players pulling out due to testing positive that were vaccinated. Don’t think that piece of information will be available to general public.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Scalisi? Why is that a weak statement from Harsin. I guess if you are in the camp that you MUST be vaccinated regardless of your personal preference, then he is wrong.

I don't like some in the media that is giving their opinion on it. Just state the facts of the interview. 

I wonder how the AD and the University is approaching this? Are they not giving instructions to their HCs, including Harsin on what they want them to push, not push?

This is a good question, sort of like "was there witness prep before going on the stand?"  I figure Harsin would have been expecting a question on this topic at the bare minimum, and probably didn't need to be told that by higher-ups...but, that's above our pay grade.  

I would have been OK with something along the lines of "any decisions that are made regarding vaccinations and the like are a personal matter among players, their parents and medical staff, and I am not going to address that in this forum." Basically, what Leach said without the Leach "curmudgeon-ness".

I'm not surprised that media folks are asking because they've probably been told to do so, but they should expect to hear a whole bunch of nothing specific.  There are polite ways to tell folks to sod off.

I just don’t see how a coach can count on a player who may be out of the lineup for an extended amount of time due to something that is preventable by taking a vaccination. I think it’s a selfish decision to not do what’s best for the team.  Just my opinion I’m sure other people feel differently.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

How are you going to know those that miss are unvaccinated? Already some Olympic players pulling out due to testing positive that were vaccinated. Don’t think that piece of information will be available to general public.

How did you find this out?

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/nick-saban-pretty-close-to-90-percent-of-players-have-been-vaccinated

Excerpt:

"I think there's two issues when it comes to vaccines," Saban said. "First of all, we have a majority of our players who have gotten the vaccine, and we've given every player on our team the choice to do that. I think there's a couple things to consider. First of all, you have a personal decision, which comes down to risk — risk of COVID, relative risk to the vaccine. It's the same thing. We don't really have a lot of knowledge about how this stuff is going to affect people in the future, so that's a personal decision that everybody has the right to make.

"On the other hand, you also have a competitive decision to make because you're going to be a part of a team. So how does the personal choice and decision you make affect the team?...

"But players have to understand that you are putting your teammates in a circumstance and situation. We can control what you do in our building. We cannot control what you do on campus and when you go around town, who you're around, who you're associated with, and what you bring into our building.

"So every player has a personal decision to make to evaluate the risk of COVID relative to vaccine, and then they have a competitive decision to make on how it impacts their ability to play in games, because with the vaccine you probably have a better chance. Without it, you have a lesser chance that something could happen, a bigger chance that something could happen that may keep you from being on the field, which doesn't enhance your personal development.

"Then how does it affect the team if you bring it to the team? So these are choices and decisions that every player has to make. Our approach has been I think we've had three medical doctors sort of give lectures to our team about the pros and cons of the whole COVID circumstance, the vaccine circumstance, so that they can make intelligent decisions about what they do."

Just now, weagl1 said:

I just don’t see how a coach can count on a player who may be out of the lineup for an extended amount of time due to something that is preventable by taking a vaccination. I think it’s a selfish decision to not do what’s best for the team.  Just my opinion I’m sure other people feel differently.

Team = Community

It's not a completely personal decision at all. This has been known for ages. Just some folks refuse to GAF.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Excerpt:

I like his response...

Saying that about him leaves a bad taste in my mouth 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

The deadliest virus known to man ( even with a 99% survival rate) had a vaccine created in right at a year.  Seems legit to me.  Just has me wondering why we haven’t  created these super vaccines for other illnesses?  

I know you don't care or actually want to know how it was developed so quickly because you already believe what you believe, but here is a small chart that gives some info on it:

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Coronavirus/Community_Resources/Vaccinations/Print-Materials/Fact-Sheets/Development_English.pdf

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I think it is asking too much for someone to make a purely medical decision (agree it can have impacts to the team) for the “good” of the team.

Not to get into the whole vax debate but Auburn did pretty well keeping people healthy during the season.  I'm going to trust the team to do the same again this year.  School starts in a couple weeks so we'll see if there is any blips.

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Harsin is putting politics above science and the well-being of the program if he keeps discussing getting Vaccinated in terms of pros and cons.

How is this political? Since when is every personal choice have to be politically motivated? Oh wait....probably since the majority have lost the ability to think freely for themselves. Who are any of us to assume his motives? I respect that he is not forcing this on them and letting them make their own decisions regardless how I personally feel about the vaccine.

I would expect a leader to give me the information and let me choose however I may choose. If I have questions or ask for his personal opinion then he can give it to me, otherwise...give the boys the information and resources and let them make their own decisions. 

1 hour ago, Auhud08 said:

I actually think he’s being a leader. By allowing his players to make the decision for themselves hes allowing them to be adults. None of us know whether Harsin has the vax or not. He very well couldve told his player- I chose to get vaccinated i want you to make whatever decision you feel is best for your health and others. 

THIS^^^^^^^^^

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Get vaccinated and reach the 85% threshold and don't worry about anything else but football. 

This should make a coach's jobs easier, one less thing to worry about. 

An 85% vaccination level removes the need to test everyone multiple times a week, leaves more time for folks to focus and concentrate their time and energies on football. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, toddc said:

Toddc I can respect a comment like that. At least you understand the viewpoint of the opposition. There are far worse horror stories than someone being sick for a couple of days as well. People having heart issues afterwards, along with other horror stories. 

I think the biggest thing for many is just the lack of long term knowledge on this and the fact that it is being shoved down their throats so hard by the govt and the media and many have lost all faith and trust in both of those entities. People were lied too so much by the media and the same Govt about the Covid death rates and counts along with countless other lies they just do not trust it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I do think there is a lot of distrust out there that isn't similarly earned and is even disingenuous.

There is also a lot of distrust out there that is FULLY earned and justified as well. The same people pushing the vaccine are a lot of the same talking heads who seem to be allergic to the truth. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

50 minutes ago, au302 said:

Really scary to me how we have such a large portion of society that believes it's their right to know other peoples personal medical statuses and also believe they have the right to demand people make certain medical decisions. Not even trying to be political. My stance has always been why should someone whose vaccinated care if others are? You're vaccinated so you're protected. Despite what many are saying, I think Harsin handled this well. He acknowledged the gravity of the situation, complemented the medical staff, and is allowing our players to make their personal and private choice. Downvote away but he showed great leadership here. He knows he's a football coach and not a doctor, so props to him for allowing the medical staff to educate the players on this matter

Not to get away from the point that you are making about society as a whole, but I think a lot of people here wouldn't care one bit if a win or loss wasn't on the line. That speaks volumes to me. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

It is unfortunate this has become so political.  From my experience and my lady friend who is a nurse at Emory, people will not change their minds until COVID-19 affects you or a family member.  I just had a client whose brother wouldn’t take the vaccine.  He attended his daughter’s wedding a month ago and contracted it there.  After a valiant month-long fight, he passed.

And I am sharing this because I want each and every one of you to be healthy and happy.  Here is an article circling Facebook from an Alabama doctor that might be a worthwhile read:

'It's Too Late': Doctor Says People Begging For COVID Vaccine Before Being Intubated“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/8035920002

• Like 3