2022 4* LB Robert Woodyard Signs With Auburn

Paladin

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Under Mason, Auburn will likely try to maintain the same 11 players the majority of the game to limit substitution. 

AU played 23 last Saturday. That's not a whole lot, but it's a lot more than 11.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

AU played 23 last Saturday. That's not a whole lot, but it's a lot more than 11.

Straining at gnats again, I see. 

And the reality is, other than the “interior” DL positions, there was even less rotation than the 23 indicates. Of the 85 snaps defended, we had five guys play 70+ (McClain, Smoke, McCreary, Knighten, and Puckett… the last two were only at 70 because they left injured). We also had another four that were at or near 60 snaps (Hall, Leota, Pappoe, and Simpson). 

Of the 935 snaps played by the defense, those nine guys accounted for 68% of the total (634 snaps). If you add Wooden and Harris, that number jumped to 79%. So 8 out of 10 plays, those 11 shared the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

And the reality is, other than the “interior” DL positions, there was even less rotation than the 23 indicates. Of the 85 snaps defended, we had five guys play 70+ (McClain, Smoke, McCreary, Knighten, and Puckett… the last two were only at 70 because they left injured). We also had another four that were at or near 60 snaps (Hall, Leota, Pappoe, and Simpson). 

Of the 935 snaps played by the defense, those nine guys accounted for 68% of the total (634 snaps). If you add Wooden and Harris, that number jumped to 79%. So 8 out of 10 plays, those 11 shared the field. 

Bill Taylor...

Is there any way you'd be willing to do the same from a game with last year's D.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Straining at gnats again, I see. 

Anyone incapable of discerning the difference between 11 and 23 needs a remedial term in second grade arithmetic. More than double cannot be termed straining at gnats.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

And the reality is, other than the “interior” DL positions, there was even less rotation than the 23 indicates.

The reality is that 23 players were used on defense. That's a far cry from "11 to 15". To get back to the origin of this discussion, none of the 23 who played were those linebackers who will make us "be ok" at the position next year.

In 1972, Auburn beat Tennessee 10-6 using only 13 players on defense. On the review show, Coach Jordan fussed at himself for not substituting more. 13 is still the fewest I've ever heard of AU using on defense. If Mason's goal is to use only 11 to 15, he's on a very weird track. Who wants to bet that Mason will never beat or tie Shug's record by using 13 or fewer? I've got a dollar bill to put up.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Anyone incapable of discerning the difference between 11 and 23 needs a remedial term in second grade arithmetic. More than double cannot be termed straining at gnats.

The reality is that 23 players were used on defense. That's a far cry from "11 to 15". To get back to the origin of this discussion, none of the 23 who played were those linebackers who will make us "be ok" at the position next year.

In 1972, Auburn beat Tennessee 10-6 using only 13 players on defense. On the review show, Coach Jordan fussed at himself for not substituting more. 13 is still the fewest I've ever heard of AU using on defense. If Mason's goal is to use only 11 to 15, he's on a very weird track. Who wants to bet that Mason will never beat or tie Shug's record by using 13 or fewer? I've got a dollar bill to put up.

Owen Pappoe played 60 snaps. You have info that he’s going pro next year? He call you first?

Also, I have to laugh at the 23 number. One of those guys (Kaufman) played ONE snap, but that counts just the same as McCreary playing 85 snaps, I guess. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

No one's cares that it's 11, 17, 23, or what have you.  The point is, and has been, that Mason prefers a small rotation compared to Steele and that's one reason why the backups don't get much PT over our all-something LBs. To that your argument is 23 isn't 11?  Pathetic.

You are so amped to try and be right that you've completely missed the point of the conversation.  Typical.

It fits 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Also, I have to laugh at the 23 number. One of those guys (Kaufman) played ONE snap, but that counts just the same as McCreary playing 85 snaps, I guess. 

Spin it however you choose. We are not likely to see only 11 to 15 players used on defense and that's the statement I was referring to. Yep, I went back and looked and there was no mention of snap counts, just 11 to 15.

You didn’t get that from me. I said we have tight rotations. You said our rotations were three-deep in some spots but not at LB. I threw the BS flag, and your 23 (which again includes a guy who played one snap out of 85) proves I was right. By choice and design, we have very tight rotations. 

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 8:59 PM, bigbird said:

that Mason prefers a small rotation compared to Steele and that's one reason why the backups don't get much PT

Just curious. Do you think some of Mason’s philosophy on rotations was shaped at Vandy where he didn’t have a lot of depth? 

23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Just curious. Do you think some of Mason’s philosophy on rotations was shaped at Vandy where he didn’t have a lot of depth? 

Just My opinion. Trust and ability may be the reasons we play a tight rotation (most starters playing the majority of the game) While I like the concept of rotating players to keep them fresh, conference games does not afford us the opportunity to give younger, inexperienced players more playing time this season. 

On another note, The defense we watched against A&M still had mistakes but has vastly improved. In the next 2-3 seasons I think we will be very pleased with our team as a whole but especially the defense side. War Eagle and IGTBAAT!

You didn’t get that from me. I said we have tight rotations. You said our rotations were three-deep in some spots but not at LB. I threw the BS flag, and your 23 (which again includes a guy who played one snap out of 85) proves I was right. By choice and design, we have very tight rotations. 

Not true. This post is the first time I've used the term "rotations" in this thread. Period.

Did I get the 11 to 15 number from you? No, it was your wing man who posted that. What you did was attempt to defend it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don't think so. He did similarly while at Stanford.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Your ~80% stat also reinforces my point too.  Mason prefers to find the best 11-15 and rely on them.  That doesn't mean they don't sub, but they certainly don't rotate players like Steele did. Which, again, is the point of the discussion.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't think so. He did similarly while at Stanford.

What he’s doing is working. We’re now 3d in the SEC in scoring defense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

What he’s doing is working. We’re now 3d in the SEC in scoring defense. 

And it's just gonna get better as we move in players more specific to the scheme and those we have gain more experience and comfort. 

Right now our bend flexes between the 20's. In a couple years I expect that to shrink to in between the 30-35's

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/4/2021 at 9:34 AM, Mikey said:

I've never seen a philosophy in which quality players who are ready don't get a chance to play. Steiner & Co. are nearing the end of their second full season of college ball. Sometimes it can take a while for the cream to rise to the top, but this trio is being mighty slow about it.

As far as Mason's substitutions, he's played three deep at most positions, except McCreary doesn't come out much and the three LB's are all we see until the clock reads 0:00 or we have a 30-point lead.

You said Mason has played three-deep at most positions. Whether you used the word rotation or not, that’s what you said. In reality, we’re playing three-deep at zero positions. At multiple positions, we’re not taking the starter off the field. Even when we do rotate, it’s limited snaps. Wooten/Pappoe have a time share. Hall, Moultry, and Leota share two positions roughly evenly. Etc. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 12:14 PM, augolf1716 said:

humm Robert Woodyard

Once the word is out that someone may flip, and they still do not flip after several weeks, it seems less likely that he will… 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Once the word is out that someone may flip, and they still do not flip after several weeks, it seems less likely that he will… 

You're starting to sound like bird..................hint...that's not good:poke:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 9:59 PM, bigbird said:

No one's cares that it's 11, 17, 23, or what have you.  The point is, and has been, that Mason prefers a small rotation compared to Steele and that's one reason why the backups don't get much PT over our all-something LBs. To that your argument is 23 isn't 11?  Pathetic.

You are so amped to try and be right that you've completely missed the point of the conversation.  Typical.

It fits 

D'ont know much about rotation or number of plays. I do remember back in the day UT was our second week game, we opened with Chattanooga and Shug only use 3 offensive plays. His scheme worked and we beat a favored UT.

13 hours ago, grandpajay said:

D'ont know much about rotation or number of plays. I do remember back in the day UT was our second week game, we opened with Chattanooga and Shug only use 3 offensive plays. His scheme worked and we beat a favored UT.

That’s where Malzahn learned it!!

• Like 1

For a long time because of number of visits and the type people saying they thought we had a good chance to flip him I felt really good about him. I have to admit that as more and more time passes and he doesn't flip that I am now leaning that he won't leave bama and come to us. I hope I am wrong but my gut says he doesn't flip.