Class is a failure without O Linemen

gr82b4au

We all love AU. We want to win. 

Right now, recruiting is the only thing that matters. In this game there are the haves and the have nots. Heck look at Georgia. I think that their coach is horrendous, but they are going to win a ton of games (maybe all of them) because they have more talent than anyone. The South Carolina coach agreed a couple weeks ago. 

Because of several years of recruiting failures, especially O linemen, our roster is not in good shape at all. We need players, and we need them this year. We can’t wait another year. And so far, we have met a few needs, but not our most pressing need. 

We need at least 3-4 O lineman in this class. They need to be 4* quality lineman, not just a fill a need player…preferably HS players but transfers are fine. 

If we don’t sign quality o lineman, this class is a failure. Plain and simple.

It did Gus in (we saw it coming) and it will doom Harsin. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Right now, recruiting is the only thing that matters. In this game there are the haves and the have nots. Heck look at Georgia. I think that their coach is horrendous, but they are going to win a ton of games (maybe all of them) because they have more talent than anyone. The South Carolina coach agreed a couple weeks ago. 

Because of several years of recruiting failures, especially O linemen, our roster is not in good shape at all. We need players, and we need them this year. We can’t wait another year. And so far, we have met a few needs, but not our most pressing need. 

We need at least 3-4 O lineman in this class. They need to be 4* quality lineman, not just a fill a need player…preferably HS players but transfers are fine. 

Can't argue with much of that. 

It's just so strange. A premier SEC team that can clearly sell playing time should not have this much of a problem recruiting any position. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Can't argue with much of that. 

It's just so strange. A premier SEC team that can clearly sell playing time should not have this much of a problem recruiting any position. 

I mean seriously, I do not get it!!!  I can understand not having o Linemen when Gus was the coach because his offense was a joke and everyone said that the lineman would not get to the NFL. But he is gone. Harsin has had very good lineman even at Boise. Friend recruited lights out at TN. Kids can come here and start next year. We should be turning them away at this point!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

May as well get ready for disappointment...

I agree, but it is not just OL. Fact is, the AU current recruiting will DEFINITELY not be competitive in the SEC at this point.  I see nothing in our Harsin recruiting list that will prepare Auburn too compete with UGA, Bama, or even teams that we usually beat like OM, A&M, etc. Nothing against the guys on the list, but honestly, a truckload oof 2 and 3 star guys will not be competitive against any team (like bamqw, UGA, etc) with a truckload f 5 star players.

Thing is, this year performance counts a LOT as far as recruiting for this season. So far, Auburn looked competitive against Penn State, but looked like a steaming pile of poo-poo vs Ga State. That's not going to attract anyone. We will need to step up and play Real SEC Man football against LSU or ...........

Harsin is used to going after 3 star guys and coaching them up.

Problem is, SEC teams recruit 5 star guys and coach them up. You cannot win with a roster of a bunch of 3 star guys, even if you can coach up a couple to SEC level.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

May as well get ready for disappointment...

But the main question is why? What is it about Auburn to stop lineman from committing? 

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

cannot win with a roster of a bunch of 3 star guys, even if you can coach up a couple to SEC level.

I agree. But we hired a line coach that has recruited multiple five stars for Tennessee the past three years and has ties to the south. We no longer run a high school offense. What is keeping Auburn from getting quality Linemen in this class? It makes no sense. 

Edited by gr82b4au

25 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

But the main question is why? What is it about Auburn to stop lineman from committing? 

I agree. But we hired a line coach that has recruited multiple five stars for Tennessee the past three years and has ties to the south. We no longer run a high school offense. What is keeping Auburn from getting quality Linemen in this class? It makes no sense. 

The biggest thing hurting our OL recruiting is still the years of negative recruiting from other coaches due to the HS system we ran IMO. Harsin can change that, but it is not an instant fix. The best thing we can do is look competitive and competent on the field like we have every game minus GA ST. Hopefully we can pick up some steam on a few guys this cycle and if we could somehow squeeze a couple OL into the draft would be AUmazing, but I don't see it happening. Maybe Hamm due to his size and frame if he has a good year. 

I really don't look for OL recruiting to change any until 23 class. 

I think the staff is looking/hoping to add a number of O-line transfers to replace those who graduate. So far they simply haven't seemed all that interested in hustling the high school kids.

Not only is AU losing basically the entire starting OL but most of the back-ups. AU needs to sign at least 4 high quality HS OL and 3 transfers that can start/depth immediately at OT. 2022 could be an extremely rough year at OL if high impact transfer players aren't signed!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I know it's an uphill battle, but the literal only reason to want Friend is because he's supposed to be a transcendent recruiter in this aspect

I read the same about friend . Supposed to be an ace coach and recruiter. AU is the land of opportunity for Oline .

• Like 4

5 hours ago, keywest said:

Not only is AU losing basically the entire starting OL but most of the back-ups. AU needs to sign at least 4 high quality HS OL and 3 transfers that can start/depth immediately at OT. 2022 could be an extremely rough year at OL if high impact transfer players aren't signed!

I’m very, very worried about 2022. Genuinely curious about how this site and our fanbase as a whole feels about the regime in 15 months time. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by AUwent

8 hours ago, AURex said:

I agree, but it is not just OL. Fact is, the AU current recruiting will DEFINITELY not be competitive in the SEC at this point.  I see nothing in our Harsin recruiting list that will prepare Auburn too compete with UGA, Bama, or even teams that we usually beat like OM, A&M, etc. Nothing against the guys on the list, but honestly, a truckload oof 2 and 3 star guys will not be competitive against any team (like bamqw, UGA, etc) with a truckload f 5 star players.

Thing is, this year performance counts a LOT as far as recruiting for this season. So far, Auburn looked competitive against Penn State, but looked like a steaming pile of poo-poo vs Ga State. That's not going to attract anyone. We will need to step up and play Real SEC Man football against LSU or ...........

Problem is, SEC teams recruit 5 star guys and coach them up. You cannot win with a roster of a bunch of 3 star guys, even if you can coach up a couple to SEC level.

Rex is spot on about this years performance. Top level high school kids do not know who Harsin is. HS coaches in this part of the country have never met him or talked with him. To draw interest from the top recruits, AU has to play well, be competitive and actual win some games that maybe they are not supposed to this year. That will start drawing the interest of the big recruits. I read where the top recruit in Alabama for 2023 released his top 5. AU did not get a sniff. No where to be found. We cannot wait on  the "it will take 2 or 3 years" to see recruiting results.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Rex is spot on about this years performance. Top level high school kids do not know who Harsin is. HS coaches in this part of the country have never met him or talked with him. To draw interest from the top recruits, AU has to play well, be competitive and actual win some games that maybe they are not supposed to this year. That will start drawing the interest of the big recruits. I read where the top recruit in Alabama for 2023 released his top 5. AU did not get a sniff. No where to be found. We cannot wait on  the "it will take 2 or 3 years" to see recruiting results.

Yup. For long term ramifications it is extremely worrying if Harsin really was the best we could get. Not sure if who we have to play is an excuse when you consider two teams generally considered below us in the pecking order got coaches I would kill (figuratively) to have right now.

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 3

11 hours ago, AURex said:

I

This. Boise State philosophy is to recruit only certain players who are coachable and a cultural fit. This approach won’t work in the SEC if the talent gap is huge.

At this point, what we need is an explosive offense and hang tons of points on our opponents to get recruits excited (and accelerate recruiting).

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

I’m very, very worried about 2022. Genuinely curious about how this site and our fanbase as a whole feels about the regime in 15 months time. 🤷‍♂️ 

We all get it. It is a huge uphill battle right now. We know that Harsin did not create this dire situation that we are in, but He does not have much time to correct it. It must be rectified in THIS class, or Auburn will turn into Tennessee or Florida state. Using the transfer window is fine, but there is no guarantee that kids will be available. Friend is an ace recruiter, and his job is to pull in the top HS linemen. If we go into November with no lineman…

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

We all get it. It is a huge uphill battle right now. We know that Harsin did not create this dire situation that we are in, but He does not have much time to correct it. It must be rectified in THIS class, or Auburn will turn into Tennessee or Florida state. Using the transfer window is fine, but there is no guarantee that kids will be available. Friend is an ace recruiter, and his job is to pull in the top HS linemen. If we go into November with no lineman…

And let’s suppose this does happen—I’m torn back and forth on how long we should really give the guy. There may come a point at which keeping him is an absolute detriment to our recruiting. When you have a new coach, you simply cannot be depending on having success right out the gate.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I agree!!!