Class is a failure without O Linemen

gr82b4au

On 10/1/2021 at 10:45 PM, AUwent said:

May the team give me a Patronus tomorrow night.

(That...um...rumor from earlier was crap, right?)

https://www.wizardingworld.com/news/discover-your-patronus-on-pottermore

Be careful.

My wife's is a tiger!

Mine is a sparrow?!? SMDH.

1 hour ago, tinman said:

Please name me and ELITE coach who would come to us.  Hell, there's only a hand full of ELITE coaches out there, and IMO, no amount of $$$ would get them to AU.

I don't believe that.  I think the list of coaches we couldn't have gotten for $12 million a year is very, very short.  Other than Saban and (maybe) Dabo Swinney and some pro coaches, who do you think would have turned that down?

And if you are correct that no one would have taken the job for that much money, it's over anyway.

25 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I don't believe that.  I think the list of coaches we couldn't have gotten for $12 million a year is very, very short.  Other than Saban and (maybe) Dabo Swinney and some pro coaches, who do you think would have turned that down?

And if you are correct that no one would have taken the job for that much money, it's over anyway.

LMAO.

When was the last time ANY school just went out and hired a $12 million a year coach?

Who is it that you think is worth that amount, that is guaranteed to produce results?

Armchair analysis like this this absolutely kills me. "Yeah if I was in charge I'd just offer a blank check...". Where is this money coming from, by the way? Didn't they piss away $20+ million just to fire the last guy? 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, metafour said:

LMAO.

When was the last time ANY school just went out and hired a $12 million a year coach?

Who is it that you think is worth that amount, that is guaranteed to produce results?

Armchair analysis like this this absolutely kills me. "Yeah if I was in charge I'd just offer a blank check...". Where is this money coming from, by the way? Didn't they piss away $20+ million just to fire the last guy? 

1.  Yes, they did, and that's part of my point.  If you average out Malzahn's 2017 contract he averaged damn close to that amount per year for mediocre results.  If we can raise that much money to fire a guy who isn't cutting it, why can't we raise that much money to hire a name coach?  Why do we only open the money bags when we want to get rid of someone rather than when it's time to hire someone?  This is the change in thinking I was talking about.

2.  Before uat hired Saban, no one was paying $4 million for a college head coach either, and they also got laughed at when they did it.  I believe they are having the last and longest laugh, however.  There is no reason we couldn't be the next reason that college football salaries get shifted up.  The fact that no one has done it yet is the whole point.

3.  No one can guarantee success.  I never said that or anything like it.  I'm just talking about what we will need to compete with the teams we have to compete with for top recruits.

4.  I'm pretty sure we're all armchair analysts here, aren't we?  If there are any college football coaches or ADs posting here, please raise your hand.  Football is entertainment.  It's show business.  Sometimes I think some of us forget that's what we're trading opinions about.

13 hours ago, tsande07 said:

I have the following count for next year, assuming no one comes back for a Covid-offset year:

Seniors: (i.e. next year they'll be Seniors)

• Jalil Irvin (IOL)
  • Kameron Stutts (IOL)
  • Kilian Zierer (Tackle)

Juniors:

• Keiondre Jones (IOL)
  • Tate Johnson (IOL)

Sophomores:

• Avery Jernigan (IOL)
  • Garner Langlo (Tackle)
  • Colby Smith (Tackle)

Freshman and Transfers:

• TBD

Keiondre Jones (RG) will be our lone returning starter in this scenario. IMHO, it looks like Tackle is still the biggest need, however.

Given what the transfer portal looked like last year, I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for more than a couple of quality pickups there. I'd happily accept being proven wrong, naturally.

For some reason everyone seemed to expect Coffey to be the lone Sr lineman to return

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

For some reason everyone seemed to expect Coffey to be the lone Sr lineman to return

I'd certainly be happy to have an extra body back, if only for depth!

2 hours ago, metafour said:

LMAO.

And ask those TaM fans, if they now think that 8-9 Million dollar coach they hired is earning his money right now?

So he thinks 1 12 mil one will definitely do it? Even a Cadillac can produce a lemon...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Harsin was not the best we could get, he was just the best we could get without changing our thinking.

Auburn may well be the toughest coaching job in the country.  Those of you saying we've got to have a name coach are exactly right IMO.  Unless and until we make the commitment to pay whatever it takes to get one of the best coaches in the game that is a household name, we're going to continue to slide slowly farther down the SEC ladder.  If it takes $10 million a year, $12 million a year, whatever.  Unless and until we are willing to pay for a Ferrari instead of shopping at the Honda dealership, this is what will happen.

Nothing against Harsin.  He may be a very good coach.  But that will not be enough for us to succeed.

The possible exception is if we get out front and develop an NIL program that outperforms our competition.  Pay offensive linemen enough and they will come.  Just like an elite household name coach.  We don't need to spend money on both, I suppose.  One or the other will do.  But we've got to spend money on at least one of them.

May be the worst post I have seen this week. SMH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Do we not think any of the guys starting right now will return? I mean, I don't see many of them getting drafted unless something changes the back end of this season. Everyone of them can come back right?

3 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

It's not over.  I was around when we hired Pat Dye.  There were other coaches available who were not interested in the job because of their being afraid to compete against Bear Bryant.  Dye was not and went toe to toe with Bryant and bama.  Harsin is showing me the same sense of grit, not being afraid of Saban.  He has his own process and it's going to take some time.  He could have stayed in Boise or held out for a Pac 12 job, but he came to AU not because of the $$$, but the opportunity to compete in the best conference against the best coaches.

It's  not always about the $$$.  Hell, when you make $5 million or more you can't spend it all anyway.  And AU will never be the school to break the bank to get a coach.  It's just not in our DNA.

• Like 1

Hey, there are a ton of old threads for bad takes about who we should have hired. They're from back when there was a point in discussing who we should hire to replace Gus. And there will be more opportunities for bad takes about who we should hire to replace Harsin *when it's time to replace Harsin*.

But for now, bad takes in an offensive line recruiting thread about who we should have hired instead of the guy who just ended a curse dating back to the Clinton administration- with Bo Nix playing behind *that* offensive line- seem extra, super duper, really truly embarrassingly stupid. 

20 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Do we not think any of the guys starting right now will return? I mean, I don't see many of them getting drafted unless something changes the back end of this season. Everyone of them can come back right?

The consensus from various Mods/Insiders was none would return.  I'm not really sure why or why not.  Pretty sure Hamm would be on his 7th year after HS if he came back (missed a year due to cancer I believe).  

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The consensus from various Mods/Insiders was none would return.  I'm not really sure why or why not.  Pretty sure Hamm would be on his 7th year after HS if he came back (missed a year due to cancer I believe).  

I would say our coaches would know that situation better than anyone. I doubt they all return, but I doubt none return either.

27 minutes ago, tinman said:

It's not over.  I was around when we hired Pat Dye.  There were other coaches available who were not interested in the job because of their being afraid to compete against Bear Bryant.  Dye was not and went toe to toe with Bryant and bama.  Harsin is showing me the same sense of grit, not being afraid of Saban.  He has his own process and it's going to take some time.  He could have stayed in Boise or held out for a Pac 12 job, but he came to AU not because of the $$$, but the opportunity to compete in the best conference against the best coaches.

It's  not always about the $$$.  Hell, when you make $5 million or more you can't spend it all anyway.  And AU will never be the school to break the bank to get a coach.  It's just not in our DNA.

O.k., but Dye competed by being competitive in paying players.  

That's definitely one of the options I said we've got.  And it's legal now, which is great.

But this is exactly what I'm talking about.  It's not 1980 any more. 

We're not going to compete with what we've got to compete with without spending money. 

We're not going to compete by recruiting 3 stars and "coaching 'em up," like Tuberville did.  That's over.

Again, I think we have a couple of choices about how to spend the money we need to spend, but if we say stuff like, "It's just not in our DNA to do this or that," that's fine, but IMO we are going the way of the dodo.  Who also didn't have it within its DNA to adapt to its environment.

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I would say our coaches would know that situation better than anyone. I doubt they all return, but I doubt none return either.

Yeah, I'm sure they do.  Just relaying was the prevailing opinion was on who returns.  I'd think 1st year starters like Trox might return.  He's been OK, maybe another year post injury could help him.  IDK tho

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

What's wrong about it?

For starters, you imply that we didn't change our way of thinking with this hire and that we just went along the same old AU way which is very far from true. Harsin was completely out of the norm hire for AU which was exactly what we needed.

You then assume we can get anyone we want by paying a stupid high premium which also isn't true. The only coaches out there right now worth near what you said is Saban. That's it. He isn't leaving Bama to come here. See Texas AM and how well they are doing with paying stupid amounts for a "big name coach". Being stupid with money with the last couple coaches put us in this mess to begin with.

Then you act like we hired some nobody. We went out and got the coach with the 3rd highest winning percentage in the game. You imply that because we got Harsin we will continue to fall down the SEC ladder which is also disingenuous.

Those are just the bullet points.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

For starters, you imply that we didn't change our way of thinking with this hire and that we just went along the same old AU way which is very far from true. Harsin was completely out of the norm hire for AU which was exactly what we needed.

You then assume we can get anyone we want by paying a stupid high premium which also isn't true. The only coaches out there right now worth near what you said is Saban. That's it. He isn't leaving Bama to come here. See Texas AM and how well they are doing with paying stupid amounts for a "big name coach". Being stupid with money with the last couple coaches put us in this mess to begin with.

Then you act like we hired some nobody. We went out and got the coach with the 3rd highest winning percentage in the game. You imply that because we got Harsin we will continue to fall down the SEC ladder which is also disingenuous.

Those are just the bullet points.

O.k.

Thanks for your constructive comments.

Time will tell whose theory is correct.  

1 minute ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

O.k.

Thanks for your constructive comments.

Time will tell whose theory is correct.  

I sure hope you are still around when it does and you are welcome, friend.

Bama (Saban) and Ohio State (Meyer) are the only Ferrari type hires in recent memory. They were available, even though Saban lied that he wasn't. But everyone knew those 2 could possibly win big. Go further back. LSU (Saban), Florida (Meyer), Clemson (Dabo), Ohio State (Day, Tressel), and Oklahoma (Riley). Were any of these marriages considered elite at the time they were hired?

9 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Bama (Saban) and Ohio State (Meyer) are the only Ferrari type hires in recent memory. They were available, even though Saban lied that he wasn't. But everyone knew those 2 could possibly win big. Go further back. LSU (Saban), Florida (Meyer), Clemson (Dabo), Ohio State (Day, Tressel), and Oklahoma (Riley). Were any of these marriages considered elite at the time they were hired?

Meyer was. Had just taken a non-BCS conference team to a BCS bowl for the first time.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Meyer was.

Yes at Ohio State. Was he elite when Florida hired him from Utah (pre Pac 12 member)?

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Yes at Ohio State. Was he elite when Florida hired him from Utah?

See my amendment. 

I agree that Saban when UAT hired him and Meyer when tOSU hired him were truly next level hires that very very few could ever get. 

But, there's a massive spectrum between "Saban when UAT hired him/Meyer when tOSU hired him" and the types of hires Tennessee has made over the last decade.

What has worried me is that it's entirely because of who their rivals are, applying to us as well--sitting around and praying that Lord Farquad hangs it up soon is not a viable strategy in case it just so happens to not work out with CBH, which I have much more hope for after the win in BR.

Edited by AUwent