Is Nix developing under the new staff?

japantiger

56 minutes ago, au302 said:

The Penn State game was a step forward for him imo. He played within the system, but was hurt by missing some deep balls and reads. LSU was a "heroic" performance, but it was more so because he used his athleticism and "backyard" abilities to win that game. Unfortunately, as evidenced by Georgia, that does not usually work. That's why the Arkansas game was the biggest sign of development from him. Stayed in the pocket, hit deep shots, didn't panic as much. Big step. Now it's about consistency for him. That is what he needs to do to take that next step and either get to the league or guarantee there is absolutely zero QB question heading into the offseason

This is pretty much what was going thru my head thinking about posting this...his Comp% against Arky was 80% (on the road no less; he's never been above 55% on the road); highest QBR of the year  and largely responsible for any YoY stat improvement.  He threw well; he set his feet; he put the long balls exactly where they needed to be; but then he also badly underthrew and placed the ball in the wrong place on the INT.   He came back after the bad redzone 3rd and 5 play early in the 4th qtr and made a very nice run later to completely ice that game....he should be asked to run more.  He is fast and quick and his running instincts have gotten better each year (but that is mostly on the coaching staff).  he brought us from behind on the road.  This is really the 1st time I've thought he was showing signs of development; and it showed in the #'s.  But, yes, he has to come forward with an N of 2 now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Let me see if I got this right; "I don't mean to sound harsh; but let me insult anyone with an opinion other than mine; even though I provide no info or facts to support my obviously superior position"...is that about it? 

Yea..I mean I guess as far as "providing facts to support my position" I could have linked the games on Youtube... Either way, may have bee a little harsh. No insult intended....the point I was trying to hammer home is that stats don't always tell the story. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Curious, you don't see any of the "Bo haters" criticizing him very much any more. Sure, he's had some rough patches, and there is a lot about him I don't like, but the young man has definitely improved with the current coaching staff. He's had to, they'd benched him if he hadn't.

Because nobody was a Bo Hater, it is pretty simple.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

I would call this line score against Arkansas an indicator of improvement

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Bo Nix 21/26 292 11.2 2 1 97.7

Sometimes you have to make that tricky little 8 foot down hill left to right  breaking putt for the hole to start looking like a number 9 washtub. Maybe Arkansas was that putt for Nix

• Like 2

7 hours ago, japantiger said:

When I look at the stats, it's hard to see evidence of Nix's improvement or development.  His comp% is less than 1 point better than last year (60.7 vs 59.9 last year); HE's 64th in yds in the NCAA; 74th in TD's...below avg.  His TD to INT ratio is better...he protects the ball well and always has.  Rushing yards are trending to be a little less than the prior two years with fewer rushing TD's.   He's made some great scrambling plays; but he had done those in prior years.  He rose to the occasion against Arky and beat them (in my opinion) ; but that is an N of 1; and I haven't really seen anything to indicate a consistent change in production upwards.  I'm looking for evidence; what he did against LSU and Arky just don't really show in his #'s.

Definitely looked better against Arky. Will it stick? Hope so. We’ll see.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I would call this line score against Arkansas an indicator of improvement

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Bo Nix 21/26 292 11.2 2 1 97.7

Sometimes you have to make that tricky little 8 foot down hill left to right  breaking putt for the hole to start looking like a number 9 washtub. Maybe Arkansas was that putt for Nix

Definitely, he just needs to find consistency.  He can't have one game like this then the rest of P5 games are bleh.  Consistency isn't 80% comp, but just have a couple games in the mid 60s+ in a row, balls down the field are actually catchable, executing the offense, and a 8+ YPA.  He's got a good chance out of the bye week to do that vs a weaker defense.  Build some momentum then have a nice road game/road win at Kyle field

He seems to be improving but some of us (me included) have been pretty critical because of his dumb mistakes throughout his career. He’s not a fire NFL QB, but he can continue to make plays and Auburn can win some football games with him going forward. 

Saturday is such a massive game. Probably one of the most underrated big games in recent history imo. 

• Like 3

The Arkansas game was transformative. My eyes saw more chest high throws than all other games combined. Terrific routes. On time. On target throws. All game. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

My eyes saw more chest high throws than all other games combined.

That really stood out to me, too. Just much more catchable balls. Really hope he can hang onto some of that upstairs when he's in a less comfy pocket again. That's why that second long TD gives me so much hope. He knew he was gonna get rocked but he stepped into it and delivered. Felt like new territory, but it's possible I'm not remembering a time he's done that before.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Definitely, he just needs to find consistency.  He can't have one game like this then the rest of P5 games are bleh.  Consistency isn't 80% comp, but just have a couple games in the mid 60s+ in a row, balls down the field are actually catchable, executing the offense, and a 8+ YPA.  He's got a good chance out of the bye week to do that vs a weaker defense.  Build some momentum then have a nice road game/road win at Kyle field

Yeah, I agree.  Only about 10 every down  QB's are throwing over 70% Comp% for a season (unfortunately one of those is always the QB across the state).  I don't expect 80%; High 60's (over 65%)  regularly would be transformative (and what we should expect).  Think of the near misses we've had where a key 3rd down throw would have changed the outcome. 

It is interesting however that he did turn in an 80% outing against an SEC opponent.  Maybe, just maybe, (I know, I'm now bordering on being an "all Bo, all the time" guy now with this comment); this is the ability some folks saw in him when evaluating his potential.  OK, I'm gonna put down the scotch bottle...to early to be drinking this kind of cool-aid.  

He has the defense in front of him to turn in another strong outing this weekend.  Stop me, stop me...I'm getting way to optimistic.    

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That really stood out to me, too. Just much more catchable balls. Really hope he can hang onto some of that upstairs when he's in a less comfy pocket again. That's why that second long TD gives me so much hope. He knew he was gonna get rocked but he stepped into it and delivered. Felt like new territory, but it's possible I'm not remembering a time he's done that before.

I had commented on the long balls; but had not really noticed the overall change in just putting the ball in the numbers where it can be caught.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Yeah, I agree.  Only about 10 every down  QB's are throwing over 70% Comp% for a season (unfortunately one of those is always the QB across the state).  I don't expect 80%; High 60's (over 65%)  regularly would be transformative (and what we should expect).  Think of the near misses we've had where a key 3rd down throw would have changed the outcome. 

It is interesting however that he did turn in an 80% outing against an SEC opponent.  Maybe, just maybe, (I know, I'm now bordering on being an "all Bo, all the time" guy now with this comment); this is the ability some folks saw in him when evaluating his potential.  OK, I'm gonna put down the scotch bottle...to early to be drinking this kind of cool-aid.  

He has the defense in front of him to turn in another strong outing this weekend.  Stop me, stop me...I'm getting way to optimistic.    

I've swung back and forth a lot this season. Was pretty hopeful on him developing, then he was up and down and while I saw some mechanical stuff look better, I was just over it and ready for him to be done.  LSU was a good road win but "Back yard football", UGA even with some drop, 3 were bad drops with a lot of borderline catchable balls and zero down field throws.

Arkansas was different, hopefully that trend continues.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. The plays were executed so consistently well, they actually made it look routine. Like a well oiled machine. If the passing game can do that, we have a chance in any every game.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Agreed. The plays were executed so consistently well, they actually made it look routine. Like a well oiled machine. If the passing game can do that, we have a chance in any every game.

Calzeda (A&M) showed that Bama is very beatable by solid QB play (and very good scheming).  He made a couple of 1st downs with his legs, he stood in and got hit while putting the ball exactly where it needed to be, and he kept mistakes to a minimum.  A&M called a very good offensive game plan against Bama...they were able to get Smith on LB's and slower safeties, used their backs out of the backfield well, good TE matchups and they made catches in small windows.  They made the Bama defense look very human.  So with an improved Nix, we can win that game.  

• Like 2

I think many are echoing Bo's "consistency" and I agree. There are a lot of variables, outside of one individual, to each football game; however, I am still unsure what type of QB is going to show up for each game. 

OM will be a meaningful gauge on whether our team is experiencing a season of flashes that will keep us connecting the dots or an example of how we are consistently improving and developing. I am hoping for the latter. 

• Like 1

He needs to have an Arkansas like game again tomorrow. As much as we don’t like it, Auburn can’t really run the ball like we thought they would. Maybe they’ll improve but we need better run blocking up front. 

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Because nobody was a Bo Hater, it is pretty simple.

There were a few.  I remember posts saying there was no way he should be a D1 starter and that we never should have offered him.  Not from regular posters I don't believe.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The last time I remember him doing that was in the IB last year. He stood tall, stepped up and delivered a missile to SW 18 that would have been a sure fire TD if caught.

• Like 1

Synergy - combined effect is greater than the individual sums.

O-line is providing better pass protection. Bo feels more comfortable staying in the pocket. Result is better fundamentals and read progression, so he throws a better ball, on time to the correct read. Receivers are learning alignment and correct route running and timing. Result, they are in the correct spot and are getting a more catchable ball. Since they know what they are doing they are more focused on catching the ball. Result, fewer drops. Everyone's confidence improves. Rinse and repeat and it continues to improve (I hope).

• Like 2

My opinion is that if Bo Nix can slow his brain down.. he will do just fine. When his brain gets going too fast, it translates to every aspect of his game. He expects the play to be developed before it really should be - which makes him leave the pocket too early.. he throws harder/faster.. his internal clock is just a wee bit fast..  and it throws off his entire game. When he slows down.. he lets plays develop and throws a better ball.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, woodford said:

He seems to be improving but some of us (me included) have been pretty critical because of his dumb mistakes throughout his career. He’s not a fire NFL QB, but he can continue to make plays and Auburn can win some football games with him going forward. 

Saturday is such a massive game. Probably one of the most underrated big games in recent history imo. 

Agree with the big game comments here.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

My opinion is that if Bo Nix can slow his brain down.. he will do just fine. When his brain gets going too fast, it translates to every aspect of his game. He expects the play to be developed before it really should be - which makes him leave the pocket too early.. he throws harder/faster.. his internal clock is just a wee bit fast..  and it throws off his entire game. When he slows down.. he lets plays develop and throws a better ball.

Sure seems this way looking from the outside.

Next year should be a breakout year for Bo if things continue to progress the way it appears. 

• Like 1

He knows what to do.  Arkansas proves that.  He got into the "zone" which allows him to approach the moment with a still mind.  Now it's just a matter of getting into that zone on a habitual basis, which more reps should take care of. 

With his physical talents, the sky's the limit.

• Like 1