Giving Coach Harsin a pass this season

tbone4jc

11 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

That’s just not being honest on how the season has played out.   MSU game was a complete failure.   I would also say that giving up 21 points to D3/3rd string backup is a failure.   The defense played good enough to win the aTm and PSU games, that is correct.   So that puts it at offense 2 defense 2

Okay let's do this and don't run from this 

USCe averages 23 points a game. The defense gave up 21 ppg. You really want to blame the defense for the offense only putting up 17 points on a team that gives up on average 23 points per game? Vandy put up more points on USCe than we did.

The defense held every single SEC team we faced below their average PPG except Mississippi State.

The defense is in the top half of in rushing defense and scoring defense in the SEC. They are pitiful at passing defense and yards of course par bend don't break

The offense is in the bottom half in every metric of the conference statistically. But you are saying both the defense and the offense are on the same footing and you are calling me a liar? 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Pass for what? The guy gets paid to coach and win ball games. It would be one thing if in the games they were hard fought for 4 quarters. Not do well for a quarter or even half and then disappear. Giving up 2 good leads 2 straight weeks to lower SEC tier teams is bad. Really bad. Also, you have several questionable coaching calls and some just leave you scratching your head, and the Ga. State game really didn't help.

Give him props though for helping get the LSU curse off our backs. So not all has been bad, but the bad stands out so much that it really draws concerns if he really can make it in the SEC.

This just does not seem like a good fit at this point. From recruiting and staff choices to second half failures and even his handling of the covid situation, it just seems like it’s always something. I was willing to go with “the fish out of water but at least he’s not a AU good ole boy” thing but I do think we could have made a better choice. Money will dictate he comes back next year and maybe he’ll get it dialed in but I’ve got serious doubts and am starting to think we are just gonna waste a couple years before he’s fired anyways. 

• Like 1

What’s the criteria that makes him a good coach. The last two weeks has been anything but good coaching. Understandable he is in his first year but there are certain things u would like to see that would be encouraging. When he took over Boise the team was loaded and the program never needed to reload. However, he is here and clearly learning on the job. Gotta give him time to right the wrongs unless it’s so egregious that u can’t overlook it. Let’s see what happens moving forward starting next week.

I have to keep reminding myself that other than a few decent transfers and a handful of Freshmen that will be redshirted, ALL the rest of the roster was here before Harsin even got here. It seemed like we were improving as a team and then about 2/3 of the way into the season we hit the wall. I don't know what happened or why we did that, we just did.

Maybe it's normal in a rebuilding year for the players already here to plateau like that, maybe those players are unable to improve any more, I don't really know but you could see it happen. So the reality is we sit at 3-4 (should be 5-2) in the SEC along with a lot of other teams the same or worse. It's been a tough year and I'll give Harsin a C for this 1st year. But, we have a lot of work to do. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

USCe averages 23 points a game. The defense gave up 21 ppg. You really want to blame the defense for the offense only putting up 17 points on a team that gives up on average 23 points per game? Vandy put up more points on USCe than we did.

The defense held every single SEC team we faced below their average PPG except Mississippi State.

The defense is in the top half of in rushing defense and scoring defense in the SEC. They are pitiful at passing defense and yards of course par bend don't break

The offense is in the bottom half in every metric of the conference statistically. But you are saying both the defense and the offense are on the same footing and you are calling me a liar? 

Our offense is in the bottom half in scoring offense and offensive TD’s but somehow they’ve done enough?? Lol, these people really think our defense is supposed to be shutting out every opponent and if they don’t then it’s a failure.

It also don’t help that the offense fails on getting a 4th and 1 deep in they own territory and the defense has a short field to work with 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, e808 said:

What’s the criteria that makes him a good coach. The last two weeks has been anything but good coaching. Understandable he is in his first year but there are certain things u would like to see that would be encouraging. When he took over Boise the team was loaded and the program never needed to reload. However, he is here and clearly learning on the job. Gotta give him time to right the wrongs unless it’s so egregious that u can’t overlook it. Let’s see what happens moving forward starting next week.

There is no objective criteria. I get everyone wants to s*** on the defense and I will too when it is warranted. However, my biggest concern is the Jeckyl and Hyde crap going on. I am also deeply concern that we have an offensive mind coach and we go blank in the second half. 3 points to Ole miss, 3 points to USCe, 0 points to the Aggies, 6 against Mississippi State .  That is a major issue. But of course we need fall guys. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Cool down brother.  If I were calling you a liar, I would say you’re a liar.   I’m not going to get into feelings.   

now, to your point on the season.   Why bring games that Auburn won into the equation?   I’m just going off the four losses.   Same footing?  It’s not looking at the season from a wide lens, break each game down to how it was played out.   Scoring 34 and missing a fg should be enough to have beaten MSU.   I don’t care how many points South Carolina has average on the year, I saw an offensive team that could only run the ball because it was playing a third string D3 qb.   Any coach with a brain would have loaded the box every play and dared that guy to beat them.   Auburn did it at times and it showed they couldn’t do anything (14-0).   For some reason he went away from it and they started having success.   In my previous statement, I said the two other losses were solely on the offense.  

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I don’t want him fired but I want Bobo and Mason gone after the Iron Bowl. 

I want Bobo gone.  Ill hold my breath on Mason

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Cool down brother.  If I were calling you a liar, I would say you’re a liar.   I’m not going to get into feelings.   

now, to your point on the season.   Why bring games that Auburn won into the equation?   I’m just going off the four losses.   Same footing?  It’s not looking at the season from a wide lens, break each game down to how it was played out.   Scoring 34 and missing a fg should be enough to have beaten MSU.   I don’t care how many points South Carolina has average on the year, I saw an offensive team that could only run the ball because it was playing a third string D3 qb.   Any coach with a brain would have loaded the box every play and dared that guy to beat them.   Auburn did it at times and it showed they couldn’t do anything (14-0).   For some reason he went away from it and they started having success.   In my previous statement, I said the two other losses were solely on the offense.  

LOL. I look at the season as a whole. I don't pick in choose to make an agenda. You just said I wasn't being honest. You are now saying you don't care what USCe averages? Do you care what Auburn averages on offense? 30 ppg, yet we could only muster 17 against USCe, but you don't want to talk about that because it doesn't fit your narrative. What a joke.

Edited by DAG

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
50 minutes ago, Didba said:

Facts, in all honesty, defense played great against Moo State. 

Gave up 6 TD drives in a row 😂😂😂

Just now, DAG said:

LOL. I look at the season as a whole. I don't pick in choose to make an agenda. You just said I wasn't being honest. You are now saying I don't care what USCe average? Do you care what Auburn averages on offense? 30 ppg, yet we could only muster 17 against USCe, but you don't want to talk about that because it doesn't fit your narrative. What a joke.

You are getting it all out of wack.   I only care about winning.     I’m looking at the four losses and looking at how those games played out.   Do you really believe that South Carolina is any good? The 4th down decision was poorly planned and even worse on the execution side.  I don’t have a narrative. I don’t think Auburn is good team and I’m not sure if it’s players or coaches.   If I had to give a percentage, I would say 75 players 25 coaching.   

Just now, aubaseball said:

You are getting it all out of wack.   I only care about winning.     I’m looking at the four losses and looking at how those games played out.   Do you really believe that South Carolina is any good? The 4th down decision was poorly planned and even worse on the execution side.  I don’t have a narrative. I don’t think Auburn is good team and I’m not sure if it’s players or coaches.   If I had to give a percentage, I would say 75 players 25 coaching.   

You are not answering a single question. What are you talking about? I think based on the metrics I've shown, USCe is indeed not good, but you don't care about that. What are you basing your percentage on? It is clearly not stats.

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Funny, I see it the other way around. Offense didn't hold up through the course of the game and the defense gets hosed bc of it.

And this is something to taken seriously.   Lol

I say keep Mason but fire Bobo. Mason’s defense ain’t pretty, but it’s been doing pretty well for a first year defense. Bobo is a tried and true goob. We all knew it when he was hired. I almost want Harsin out just for daring to hire Bobo. 

He a great QB coach. I think Bo has really improved. But he’s a freaking terrible play caller.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are not answering a single question. What are you talking about? I think based on the metrics I've shown, USCe is indeed not good, but you don't care about that. What are you basing your percentage on? It is clearly not stats.

What question do you want me to answer?   And if they aren’t any good , shouldn’t 14 be enough to win?  How about a shutout by the defense?  Or is that a no no?  
im basing it on the ole eyeball metrics.   I watch the games and see mistakes by players all over the field.   Then at times, I see 4th and 1 plays and we throw a Hail Mary.  I see a defense rush 3 guys the entire game.   That’s my stats

15 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

What question do you want me to answer?   And if they aren’t any good , shouldn’t 14 be enough to win?  How about a shutout by the defense?  Or is that a no no?  
im basing it on the ole eyeball metrics.   I watch the games and see mistakes by players all over the field.   Then at times, I see 4th and 1 plays and we throw a Hail Mary.  I see a defense rush 3 guys the entire game.   That’s my stats

Exactly, we know and it isn't rooted in logic. The point is the defense did more than enough to ensure a win based on the stats and averages of performances by both teams. To say this is an utter failure of the defense is simply based on your "ole eyeball metric." Who utterly failed was our offense based on their yearly average metrics. IF USCe is not a good team, why did the offense only put up a whopping 17 points against them, which is significantly lower than their normal output? The logic here is clueless.  Our defense typically gives up 22 ppg (Which is top four in the SEC btw). So you are saying the defense should've played better by their standard, while it is totally okay for the offense to be putrid? Since they didn't do that, it was an utter failure?

Edited by DAG

After the LSU, Arkansas and Ole Miss games I felt pretty good about it.  Harsin and Bobo plainly blew the PSU game we should have won.  On the positive side the backs ran all over them in the second half and but for the stupid 4th and 2 call we probably ruin the white out.  I didn’t think we had a chance against UGA and we didn’t especially with all the drops. But Nix had definitely shown great improvement.  Then came A&M.  I thought they had better players and they did but I thought the defense was really coming on at that point so I still didn’t feel to bad about it. The game was much closer than the score.  The scoop and score killed any chance we had and that stuff happens.  Then came the MSU debacle and the mess last night.  Both games lost due to stupid game plans and failure to adjust by the coaching staff.  The defense sits back in “coverage” and let’s the MSU QB totally eat them alive after leading by 25 points.  They adjust at the half and what Mason and Bobo were doing I have no idea. I guess counting their money because they sure weren’t coaching.  Last night here we go again up by 14 and looking good.  They make a drive but we head up the field again.  Then comes the infamous 4th and 1 on our own 35 with 3 minutes to go in the half.  Any coach not named Lane Kiffen is punting.  But Harsin decides let’s go.  We got a stud RB running all over them and who should be getting the ball but he’s standing on the sideline.  So Bobo decides let’s throw long into double coverage.  Huh?  WTF?  So we give them a short field and they punch it in to tie the game, get the crowd in it and give them new life.  Our offense goes in the tank the second half (as usual) and they win the game by running the same play over and over, left, right, it doesn’t matter.  We plug up the middle but the back simply bounces it outside and we lose contain, over and over and over again.  No defensive adjustment to cut it off.  Just let them do it.  Pitiful, pathetic coaching on both sides of the ball.  Yes, I was giving them the pass until the last 2 weeks but they have lost me.  If they follow this with a beat down by Bammer, a lackluster bowl performance and a poor recruiting effort, I think we may be heading toward mediocrity for a long time, especially when I see teams we usually beat turning their programs around.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Good analysis. My issue, and maybe this is irrational, is that I expected the defense to be pretty good. They are ok but meh tbh. Offense has been horrendous for a few years. I'm no expert, but just eyeballing it it seems like the offense has taken some strides. Definitely not where it needs to be. I was underwhelmed with the Bobo hire but knew we needed to rebuild the personnel on offense besides RB.

I was ecstatic like a lot of us with the Mason hire. I guess I had too high of expectations for Mason and the defense. We have zero depth behind the starters in the front 7, and I think we have simply been worn down at times due to that lack of depth 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

Good analysis. My issue, and maybe this is irrational, is that I expected the defense to be pretty good. They are ok but meh tbh. Offense has been horrendous for a few years. I'm no expert, but just eyeballing it it seems like the offense has taken some strides. Definitely not where it needs to be. I was underwhelmed with the Bobo hire but knew we needed to rebuild the personnel on offense besides RB.

I was ecstatic like a lot of us with the Mason hire. I guess I had too high of expectations for Mason and the defense. We have zero depth behind the starters in the front 7, and I think we have simply been worn down at times due to that lack of depth 

A lot of us I think expected an elite defense including myself. The fact is we were sadly mistaken. We aren't close to elite. We are just "decent." I don't like the bend don't break philosophy but it works if it is coupled with an adequate or high octane offense. The problem is our bend don't break is opposite of a below average offense. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

As much as I am disappointed with our in game results over the last 2 games I am not going to be super critical of the end results for this season. My reasons are pretty simple...

1. This is his first season in the SEC and as most ha e recognized we really are lacking the Jimmy's & Joe's to be a really good team.

2. I would rather have  sustainable success instead of a flash in the pan great season and ten years of roller coaster highs and lows.

3. There are a lot of I's on this current team who play for themselves that has not bought into the current staff's philosophy. 

4. CBH is a good coach and once he gets the players on both sides of the ball he needs I think we will be very happy.

With that being said, this season is the only season he gets a pass on. Next season we must see improvement on the oline and the defense. We cannot ever blow a 25 point lead to an inferior team and we should  eat the teams we are supposed to beat 99.9% of the time. 

Im sure your "giving" him a pass while brushing doritos off your belly is important to coach harsin. There are some folks with seriously delusional self images on this board.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1