Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It's not that hard to articulate. School sports shouldn't be professional. It makes education secondary

Then it needs to start with the AD/Coaches/TV deals on down.  They are the ones at fault, not the kids demanding a piece of the pie while everyone else gets rich on their behalf

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Then it needs to start with the AD/Coaches/TV deals on down.  They are the ones at fault, not the kids demanding a piece of the pie while everyone else gets rich on their behalf

No, you CANNOT dismiss the Fanbase from blame.  You are right, but the Fanbases drive this.

It's pretty easy to just dismiss our culpability and create scapegoats.  Fanbases drive this and overlook until it gets to the tipping point...like now.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

No, you CANNOT dismiss the Fanbase from blame.  You are right, but the Fanbases drive this.

It's pretty easy to just dismiss our culpability and create scapegoats.  Fanbases drive this and overlook until it gets to the tipping point...like now.

What exactly is the fanbase driving and how are the fans today different than 2000?

Is it NIL or the current transfer rules that are feeding this negativity energy towards my beloved college football??

Personally, I think the biggest issue with CFB is the current transfer rules. Speaking of, is this temporary? I was under the impression it was covid related. Actually, pretty sure it was. When schools opted out last season. IIRC. They allowed for kids to transfer w/o penalty (not having to sit out). So when does this transfer rule go back to kids having to sit out a year?  Or is that a lost cause now?  Where’s @ellitor when I need him?

Edited by TXaubie

2 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Is it NIL or the current transfer rules that are feeding this negativity energy towards my beloved college football??

Personally, I think the biggest issue with CFB is the current transfer rules. Speaking of, is this temporary? I was under the impression it was covid related. Actually, pretty sure it was. When schools opted out last season. IIRC. They allowed for kids to transfer w/o penalty (not having to sit out). So when does this transfer rule go back to kids having to sit out a year?  Or is that a lost cause now?  Where’s @ellitor when I need him?

Permanent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

What exactly is the fanbase driving and how are the fans today different than 2000?

Keeping up with the Jones, i.e. Alabama and Georgia

Did I mis-read that? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'd like that but idk how you'd get them to stop.

My question is where does that mentality end? HS football generates a ton of money too. In Texas they have six figure coaching salaries and 70 million dollar stadiums. The players don't even get scholarships. Don't those kids deserve a piece of the pie too? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

It's permanent, as it should be. One free transfer is extremely fair. You can't be fine with coaches walking out as they please without a moment's notice and then think it's "ruining the game" for a player to have the option to redirect their career ONCE without punishment.

I'm okay with that but they should ban intra-conference transfers. It happens rarely but most HC don't take another job within their own conference. 

4 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Hmmm can anyone provide details.

I don't have any details from the article but the player in the picture is Robby Ashford that played at Hoover and signed with Oregon in 2020. 

• Thanks 1

The update is that the staff seems ready to move onto Robby Ashford (he's supposedly going to visit this weekend). Basically implying that they don't think Caleb Williams is likely anymore. And also, bringing in a 2nd QB basically means that there is 100% attrition to be expected (ie: D.Davis and/or Finley) so they're trying to get a 3rd guy in now (Calzada, Geriner, Ashford).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nurbis said:

I don't have any details from the article but the player in the picture is Robby Ashford that played at Hoover and signed with Oregon in 2020. 

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

The update is that the staff seems ready to move onto Robby Ashford (he's supposedly going to visit this weekend). Basically implying that they don't think Caleb Williams is likely anymore. And also, bringing in a 2nd QB basically means that there is 100% attrition to be expected (ie: D.Davis and/or Finley) so they're trying to get a 3rd guy in now (Calzada, Geriner, Ashford).

Just to add to that a little, FSU and Arkansas have been in talks with RA, but AU hadn't reached out until a few days ago. IF AU pushes will be hard to beat. Also, RA plans on playing both Football and Baseball, but only focusing on Football the first year.

I know i'd feel a little better about the QB room if we had a guy that could move around a bit. I think Ashford would provide more mobility than Calzada or TJ

I'd rather wait until after spring and go after a UGA QB or something. Heck, Jack Sears knows the offense and could even serve the Grant Loy role well. Guess they see something in him

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Just to add to that a little, FSU and Arkansas have been in talks with RA, but AU hadn't reached out until a few days ago. IF AU pushes will be hard to beat. Also, RA plans on playing both Football and Baseball, but only focusing on Football the first year.

16 minutes ago, metafour said:

That seems to be the path to our QB roster.

Unless there is a better option in the portal, Ashford gives them an athletic QB. Not sure he is a better passer than DD, but he's taller and probably better in the pocket seeing over the OL.

Not sure what else he brings..I don't seem him ever starting.

Not sure how I feel about bringing in another unknown who hasn’t played a ton. We are setting it up for Calzada and TJ being the 2 guys with playing time and I just don’t think either of those guys bridges the gap from last year. Also, Ashford coming in basically tells Dee that he’s being replaced in that sophomore spot. Maybe I’m wrong. It would just be really nice to get a JT Daniels, Dart, Sears type.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Not sure how I feel about bringing in another unknown who hasn’t played a ton. We are setting it up for Calzada and TJ being the 2 guys with playing time and I just don’t think either of those guys bridges the gap from last year. Also, Ashford coming in basically tells Dee that he’s being replaced in that sophomore spot. Maybe I’m wrong. It would just be really nice to get a JT Daniels, Dart, Sears type.

Some folks on On3 claiming there's a lot of chatter about Geriner making a run at the starting spot. Seems all but concluded that DD is getting pushed out, which has been apparent for months. I agree with you though. Wish we'd swing higher. Not a fan of this one

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

Some folks on On3 claiming there's a lot of chatter about Geriner making a run at the starting spot. Seems all but concluded that DD is getting pushed out, which has been apparent for months. I agree with you though. Wish we'd swing higher. Not a fan of this one

I believe that he will. I watched a few of his games and he stays calm and doesn't make many mistakes. He also has a big time arm with pretty good touch! 

• Like 2

Just now, au302 said:

I would to hear Austin Davis' honest evaluation of Geriner. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 90s Distortion said:

I would to hear Austin Davis' honest evaluation of Geriner. 

Everyone's evaluation has been extremely high so I'm sure his would be, also. 

Not sure I've heard a particular weakness mentioned. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, au302 said:

Some folks on On3 claiming there's a lot of chatter about Geriner making a run at the starting spot.

Everyone wants to hype the rookie QB.  People here said DD was going to take the starting role from Bo.  Ppl hyped Bo, Ppl Hyped Jeremy Johnson.

Everyone loves the new guy

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Everyone wants to hype the rookie QB.  People here said DD was going to take the starting role from Bo.  Ppl hyped Bo, Ppl Hyped Jeremy Johnson.

Everyone loves the new guy

Because he’s the only guy that hasn’t s**t the bed yet. Haha. Optimism 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2