Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Several tweets on there are saying it's about recruiting. I don't know how they would know this but it's being said by more than few. Who knows though but here is one of them fwiw.

Austin davis was overwhelmed by recruiting in college so he is stepping down as OC
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CR said:

Transfer Portal- 0 players incoming at OL and WR. 2 huge question marks at QB. Players leaving in droves, including 8 DL. At this rate DL will look like OL within a few years. Looks like no more incoming transfers headed this way.

Coaches- Lost highly respected DC and DL coach. Struck out on at least top 2 DL coach candidates. Fired WR coach four games into season, replaced with coach from Boise who everyone knew was going to be on staff at first opportunity.Fired OC who was supposed to help recruiting in the region and to top it off, lost his son to main rival at our biggest position of need. Tried to replace him with coach under the shadow of NCAA investigation, blocked by administration here. Said coach was later fired by his current employer. Hired an NFL QB coach to much acclaim, now looks like he'll never have a coaches photo taken here. OL coach was expected to be replaced according to several of the beat guys but he somehow remains after signing 1 HS OLineman and totally bombing in the portal.

Recruiting- Struggled most of the early cycle, some improvement at the end to salvage a decent class. Good chance of a total bomb in the late signing period. Hard to see Schmedding/Brumbaugh as anything other than a step back in recruiting in comparison to Mason/Eason. Carnell and Ethridge(along with Trovon Reed, who we depend on desperately despite not even being an on field coach) are left trying to pick up the (considerable) slack of the other coaches in recruiting, especially with Mason and Eason gone.

This all followed a season that ended with 5 consecutive losses after having a lead in most if not all of these games. And from some credible posters here, he has struggled to connect with the boosters who, like it or not, Auburn is heavily dependent on for financial support. I'm mystified how Harsin has any support left at this point.

All the above, and of course we could add about a half a dozen more, and it takes this for people to figure it out? 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Part I - Harsin blocked trying to hire Zack Hill, whom currently resigned and under investigation by the NCAA

Part II - Austin Davis appears to be on the outs.  Absent this weekend.  Starting to break on most pay sites that he's not coming back.  No one seems to know why.

Part III - Welcome Coach Kiesau??

It’s official.  Harsin’s football program is an unmitigated disaster and it’s heady straight for the iceberg.  My man has lost control and yet he’s out tossing around chick fillet sandwich’s to students before bb games.  Smh…

• Like 2

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Keep that head buried deep, ostrich 

How does identifying that we are discussing rumors equal to having my head in the sand????? 

If Davis is gone because he is overwhelmed by the job….. then yes, this is very bad for the team and is a terrible look for CBH. 

If it’s because his mother is dying or he is on his way to a NFL team then this is also bad but a different shade of bad. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's just more bad press after more bad press.  NSD on Wednesday looks to be a disaster.  More bad press.  I've always been a supporter of Harsin, but this really feels like everything is just unravelling. 

I am beginning to think Harsin is completely lost and does not belong at a major program. AU is becoming the laughingstock of the college football world. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

How does identifying that we are discussing rumors equal to having my head in the sand????? 

If Davis is gone because he is overwhelmed by the job….. then yes, this is very bad for the team and is a terrible look for CBH. 

If it’s because his mother is dying or he is on his way to a NFL team then this is also bad but a different shade of bad. 

Bruh.  He's 100% gone.  It's not a rumor.  He's told coaches he's not coming back.

For the life of me I don't understand why some people can't accept any negative news and need to browbeat others for discussing the true current state of the program.

Keep your head buried tho.  It iS jUsT RuMoRs!!!!111

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

PTB should go ahead and contact Dabo for 2023. Might as well do whatever you have to do. 

Like someone mentioned early ITT, Harsin either has terrible luck or he is trash at hiring. I don’t know what to think. Maybe a little of both. 

4 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Several tweets on there are saying it's about recruiting. I don't know how they would know this but it's being said by more than few. Who knows though but here is one of them fwiw.

Austin davis was overwhelmed by recruiting in college so he is stepping down as OC

Overwhelmed haha

You gotta love these people with fantasy jobs complaining about how bad it is. 

“Oh no I hate flying on a private plane talking about a kid’s sport. It’s so bad.”

It could all be so simple as him changing his mind and wanting back in to the NFL. Who TH really knows. I remember when Gus hired Rick Biascifor ST coach and he did the exact same thing, went back to the NFL. So did Tracy Rocker. Nothing really was gonna change for this recruiting cycle anyway and I doubt if Davis or any new OC was gonna change where this class is currently. ( it is done) Also many here said it was gonna be Harsin’s offense and more than likely Harsin calling plays. Not a good look but not the end of Auburn football as many are implying. 

• Like 2

I personally felt like Davis was coming in as a rather feckless and ineffective oc in terms of being anything other than a qb coach and saw it as a strange hire. 

To me the loss / dismissal of Kobe Hudson was when I was really put on notice of things being extremely borderline untenable within the program. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

I'm not "pro Harsin" or "anti Harsin" or an apologist or anything. I'm as dumbfounded and fed up with this BS as everyone else.  But if it really ends up being the case that Davis couldn't hike his skirt up and was scared of doing what he was hired to do, I'm not totally sure Harsin is to blame for that. Hard to say Harsin didn't adequately prepare him for what was to come, Davis went through the process as a player, he should know enough about what recruiting entails to realize the grind that was coming his way. If he wasn't man enough for it then he never should have accepted the job. Screw him.

That said, I wonder who we will hire as our HC for 2023?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Hard to feel bad for them. They chose Auburn. Which was a very dumb decision. Anyone with a working brain who can run a quick analysis of the program knows it’s not a place for QB’s at the moment. 

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

Hard to feel bad for them. They chose Auburn. Which was a very dumb decision. Anyone with a working brain who can run a quick analysis of the program knows it’s not a place for QB’s at the moment. 

or coaches....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I am beginning to think Harsin is completely lost and does not belong at a major program. AU is becoming the laughingstock of the college football world. 

I remember when I came to that realization. 

We all got excited when the guy started lifting weights with his players, but the fact of the matter is most of us had to google who Harsin was when he was announced. There’s a reason Harsin had such a stellar win loss record, but had been at Boise for so long. The guy is a Mountain West/ Pacific NW coach to his core. 

• Like 4

The most auburn thing to happen is all this turnover and somehow, someway we have a successful season next year. This is such a weird scenario though. It is bizarre too because Pete Carrol and RW praised this guy. It would look weak as hell, if he ran now.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The most auburn thing to happen is all this turnover and somehow, someway we have a successful season next year. This is such a weird scenario though.

Spot on. We are headed for an amazing year if recent history is an indicator 😆 

• Haha 1

Any chance we could hire Bobo away from UGA? He's a great QB developer and can recruit. He could probably take Calzada to the next level. 

He's got SEC play calling experience and HC experience. 

• Haha 2
  • Dislike 2

51 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Bruh.  He's 100% gone.  It's not a rumor.  He's told coaches he's not coming back.

For the life of me I don't understand why some people can't accept any negative news and need to browbeat others for discussing the true current state of the program.

Keep your head buried tho.  It iS jUsT RuMoRs!!!!111

Ok friend. If you’re going to come at me directly with generalized assumptions about where my head is then please understand that I’m going to respond. In this case my response was mature and honest with the situation and contained no personal attack directed toward you.
I responded with a open ended question and also identified that IF or when the facts unfold neither would reflect positively on the situation. There is no browbeating happening in this exchange and sorry if you felt as such. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We should all be aware of the disaster we're headed towards. I've never seen such a bad offseason.  Take into account how awful the last 6 weeks of the season were and then a horrendous bowl game by our new play calling HC...

Oh, and we got 0 OL when it was our #1 priority but let's ignore that whole we convinced ourselves ots better that we got 5 6 year dudes go come back after striking out 

BAF6BBE0-C07D-4F42-AFB6-48E9F84FF971.gif

• Haha 2