Head Coaching Search 2022

Zeek

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Its not downgrading him to state the facts of his qualifications.

If Auburn had hired a coach last year with two total years coaching experience most on this board that are pining for Deion Sanders would have rioted.  Half the fan base referred to Malzahn as “that high school coach”….but even he had vastly more experience than Deion Sanders even if a lot of it was at the high school level. 

And no one has discussed what happened at Prime Prep Academy…….which basically ruined the lives of a lot of those “high level” players he brought in on promises of accreditation and getting them to and through college only to completely collapse in a heap of debt, gross mismanagement, and lawsuits….and guess who paid the cost when their college scholarships were stripped because they no longer academically qualified? 

It takes a lot more than a great personality to be a successful SEC head coach. 

Prime prep is a different story. He has some blame it in it but it's moreso trusting the wrong people to HELP him run Prime prep. He can't do everything and when you don't have the knowledge...you just don't know. 

No, I wouldn't want him at AU but let's not down a man who's doing the work. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

We just tried that. The results are a disaster.

and if we stay the course where does that lead us?

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

He’s already achieving more than Auburn is. He got the #1 recruit in the nation to sign to him at an HBCU school. We’re struggling to sign 3 stars

I doubt that would happen. Deion said he wanted to coach FSU years ago and they ignored him. That’s something he hasn’t forgot 

I don’t know about that. The lure of bringing your alma mater back from the ashes is a BIG draw. 

The more fun question here is who in the hell is going to be responsible for finding the next head coach?  I think it is pretty obvious that our current A/D will not be here long term.  Are they going to let him conduct the search or make a call?  If not him, then who?  This could not have happened at a worse time.  What a complete and total Charlie Foxtrot.  

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Yeah he is far from being a homer only reason he went to Auburn was that was were his girlfriend at the time was going. Damn I use to hear him back in 2007 or so with Matt Chernoff at 680 I think

He’s still there. 

• Sad 1

If I am in charge, I have two primary criteria -- they must be Credible and Stable.  Credible means they have sufficient experience and status to appeal to the administration, other coaches, and recruits.  Stable does not mean they have not changed jobs, but means their life is not fricking crazy.  We need a calm and collected person to see Auburn through this mess -- it's going to take some time and a lot of work.  So let's examine some of the named candidates and apply this criteria---

Prime Time -- Stable.  Certainly credible with recruits -- unsure about other coaches and admin.

Freeze -- Not sure he passes the credible standard at this point.

Dell -- I think he might pass both.  His inexperience as a head coach might be problematic with our current dysfunction.

Sean Peyton -- would surely pass both.

Aranda -- would surely pass both.

Grimes -- same as Dell.

Feel free to add others and do your own analysis.  If you find the guy that passes both, offer him $15 million a year with no buyouts.  That will be the standard soon for the big boys.  Saban is worth way more than that.  Make him create a budget, but otherwise give him full control over buying the groceries and over ops.  And then go out and hire someone (expensive and good) from NFL, NBA or Premier League marketing to navigate the new world of NIL.

if Harsin's out as is rumored, I do hope his replacement is Hugh Freeze. 

Canning a guy after murky charges of moral impropriety and character flaws and then replacing him with a guy with a history of NCAA violations and a penchant for hookers?  Gives this story that dash of ironic symmetry other programs can only dream of.  

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Butthead said:

If I am in charge, I have two primary criteria -- they must be Credible and Stable.  Credible means they have sufficient experience and status to appeal to the administration, other coaches, and recruits.  Stable does not mean they have not changed jobs, but means their life is not fricking crazy.  We need a calm and collected person to see Auburn through this mess -- it's going to take some time and a lot of work.  So let's examine some of the named candidates and apply this criteria---

Prime Time -- Stable.  Certainly credible with recruits -- unsure about other coaches and admin.

Freeze -- Not sure he passes the credible standard at this point.

Dell -- I think he might pass both.  His inexperience as a head coach might be problematic with our current dysfunction.

Sean Peyton -- would surely pass both.

Aranda -- would surely pass both.

Grimes -- same as Dell.

Feel free to add others and do your own analysis.  If you find the guy that passes both, offer him $15 million a year with no buyouts.  That will be the standard soon for the big boys.  Saban is worth way more than that.  Make him create a budget, but otherwise give him full control over buying the groceries and over ops.  And then go out and hire someone (expensive and good) from NFL, NBA or Premier League marketing to navigate the new world of NIL.

I see a big difference between Grimes and Dell due to experience as Coordinator.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Is this a joke?

Yes, a few pages back someone insinuated that this whole process is similar to when the 
Vatican signals agreement on the selection of a new Pope.  

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Is this a joke?

If you're talking about that explosion GIF, yes.

If you're talking about this whole Harsin fiasco, yes.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If you're talking about that explosion GIF, yes.

If you're talking about this whole Harsin fiasco, yes.

I knew about the Pope thing. I was just curious as to whether he was hinting that a change actually was happening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casatiger said:

Blake Anderson would be a good hire but probably too many similarities to CBH.  

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

confused-no.gif