Head Coaching Search 2022

Zeek

7 minutes ago, Beaker said:

losing record coaching 3 different programs and is driving a desk job at U of Ark; if I were him, I would stay in Fayettechill

But that means he is perfect for the Job sign him immediately with Rhett Lashlee and co-HC and Gene as DC and Terry Bowden as OC would work perfect. Tommy could even come down and be a analyst so he can do the Senator thing still. Does Al Borgas still coach? Hell bring him on too. Hell tell Gus we are sorry and invite him back as an analyst while he  keeps his HC job and UCF 🤣 

Edited by autiger88
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Kevin Steele.  Most the Boise boys are on defense and special teams.  Keep Caddie and Etheridge.  Gotta hire an OC anyway

I hear you, but does he attract talent?  The other parts give you credit. 

Also, he would split fanbase more than we are now.

Just now, Beaker said:

I hear you, but does he attract talent?  The other parts give you credit. 

Also, he would split fanbase more than we are now.

I think it depends who he brings in as OC.  Most hated the Chizik hire till he brought in his staff.

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Kevin Steele.  Most the Boise boys are on defense and special teams.  Keep Caddie and Etheridge.  Gotta hire an OC anyway

Nonono.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Beaker said:

So let me just set up the ideal profile:

• someone who knows the SEC as a coach (maybe a player)
  • someone who would attract talent
  • has recruited the SEC successfully 
  • has recruited against our rivals would be a bonus (not required)
  • has a lot of coaching connections - been a coach for a while
  • prefer a younger coach, us old guys don't seem to attract as much talent
  • would be nice to have been a coordinator, but Dye and Sweeny were not coordinators (among others)

Bout right?

We missed the coaching carousel, let's not make this list "Mission Impossible"

Biographical details
Born April 19, 1974 (age 47)
Mobile, Alabama
Playing career
1994–1997 Auburn
1998–2001 Carolina Panthers
2002 Indiana Firebirds
2002* Washington Redskins
2002* Ottawa Renegades
Position(s) Quarterback
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2003 Mattie T. Blount HS (AL) (assistant)
2004 LSU (GA)
2005 Miami Dolphins (STA)
2006–2007 Tuskegee (QB)
2008–2009 South Alabama (WR)
2010–2012 Florida State (QB)
2013–2015 Auburn (co-OC/WR)
2016 LSU (WR)
2017 Florida State (QB/RC)
2018–present Texas A&M (WR)

The burning question is could he hire a decent OC?   I have s sneaky feeling he could. The man has been coaching in the south/SEC almost a decade.

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2

Just now, Beaker said:
Biographical details
Born April 19, 1974 (age 47)
Mobile, Alabama
Playing career
1994–1997 Auburn
1998–2001 Carolina Panthers
2002 Indiana Firebirds
2002* Washington Redskins
2002* Ottawa Renegades
Position(s) Quarterback
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2003 Mattie T. Blount HS (AL) (assistant)
2004 LSU (GA)
2005 Miami Dolphins (STA)
2006–2007 Tuskegee (QB)
2008–2009 South Alabama (WR)
2010–2012 Florida State (QB)
2013–2015 Auburn (co-OC/WR)
2016 LSU (WR)
2017 Florida State (QB/RC)
2018–present Texas A&M (WR)

Has anyone ever trusted DC to do more than recruit and be a position coach?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Has anyone ever trusted DC to do more than recruit and be a position coach?

Not really I don't think.   I don't know the man, but he has an interesting profile and Auburn is a tough spot with the coaching carousel about out of quarters.  

It's not like we have a ton of money to go lure away great OC and DC the way Miami just did, paying buyouts.  

He could be a bridge for us with a decent contract, with crazy incentives.

Edited by Beaker

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Not really I don't think.   I don't know the man, but he has an interesting profile and Auburn is a tough spot with the coaching carousel about out of quarters.  

It's not like we have a ton of money to go lure away great OC and DC the way Miami just did, paying buyouts.  

He could be a bridge for us with a decent contract, with crazy incentives.

Make DC our new HC?  Maybe we should wait a bit on this move.   

We've got some time and we usually spend ourselves broke before making our next colossal f'up.   

But, then again, I suppose we can do more damage if we multi-task..

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

OK so I agree van gorder sucked and lefty was/is hands down the worst o.c. on the planet with a track record of destroying programs he goes too. that said, I mean .. a lot of college kids are going to drink, they're going to smoke weed (frankly it should be viewed as a better alternative than drinking) and the that was when the whole synthetic crap was fresh on the scene. that said, dyer definitely had issues and the party / folks getting shot certainly is inexcusable. I still think the ptb immediately target him. I don't want him but I also don't think he would be terrible either. 

I didn't mean to come at you like that. I read it wrong and thought you were saying Chizik would be a good hire again. My fault and I apologize.

I have a post on here of who I think our PTB will target and Chizik was on that list. I totally agree with you about our boosters would probably go after him again because he has the Auburn ties and will be their puppet. I think the PTB would target Chizik, Muschamp, Steele and possibly Lashlee and Mason. God help us if that comes true.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I didn't mean to come at you like that. I read it wrong and thought you were saying Chizik would be a good hire again. My fault and I apologize.

I have a post on here of who I think our PTB will target and Chizik was on that list. I totally agree with you about our boosters would probably go after him again because he has the Auburn ties and will be their puppet. I think the PTB would target Chizik, Muschamp, Steele and possibly Lashlee and Mason. God help us if that comes true.

I think your list is right on target.  When things go bad, our decision-makers seek comfort in retreads.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Make DC our new HC?  Maybe we should wait a bit on this move.   

We've got some time and we usually spend ourselves broke before making our next colossal f'up.   

But, then again, I suppose we can do more damage if we multi-task..

Considering we have 3 former players on staff right now (has Zac E bolted?), he could probably keep those guys.  The potato boys would be gone...DC has coached QBs and WR  - 

He has got to have a ton of contacts in the SEC - coaching wise.

You know he knows every HS football stadium north of Orlando in our recruiting zone and has been recruiting TX.   I am telling you there may be some merit to this.  He could lock down Mobile and attract talent.  Those are two things we have not done since...since...2013?  Heck we did not capitalize after 2013.   You get my point.

2 yr deal - $6 mil with incentives for 6 wins, 7wins, 8 wins, etc.

a head coaching job - I would guess the man would have as good of a chance as anyone else someone could toss out there.   And he could probably keep 2 of our best recruiters on staff.

Think about it - who is gonna make up ground on recruiting faster that DC and Caddy and Zac, all working together?  It ain't gonna be a retread HC

Just let it marinate for a little.

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2

Just now, Beaker said:

Considering we have 3 former players on staff right now (has Zac E bolted?), he could probably keep those guys.  The potato boys would be gone...DC has coached QBs and WR  - 

He has got to have a ton of contacts in the SEC - coaching wise.

You know he knows every HS football stadium north of Orlando in our recruiting zone and has been recruiting TX.   I am telling you there may be some merit to this.  He could lock down Mobile and attract talent.  Those are two things we have not done since...since...2013?  Heck we did not capitalize after 2013.   You get my point.

2 yr deal - $6 mil with incentives for 6 wins, 7wins, 8 wins, etc.

a head coaching job - I would guess the man would have as good of a chance as anyone else someone could toss out there.   And he could probably keep 2 of our best recruiters on staff.

Just let it marinate for a little.

Can we compromise?  Kendal Briles for HC and DC as OC.  Maybe we won't lose to Arky next season.     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Can we compromise?  Kendal Briles for HC and DC as OC.  Maybe we won't lose to Arky next season.     

For you?   Ok, I wouldn't make that deal for just anyone.   Just sayin'

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I think it is the out of the box kind of thinking that we need to make ourselves attractive to the 2023 class (which supposedly is deep in AL - and we are behind, way behind again). 

We can't hire a retread,  hire a stable staff and attract the talent.  Those three don't go together.   Kirby, Nick, Kiffen, Jimbo - they can all win those battles against a retread HC.  Heck - we would lose 7/10 times to UT right now with a retread.    Need to think recruiting first I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Probably got to pay too much for briles.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Probably got to pay too much for briles.

Maybe, but it's what I want.  

If we end up with a retread or a cheap-o no-name midwestern potato, I'm done. 

You hear me?

I'M DONE! 

11 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think it is the out of the box kind of thinking that we need to make ourselves attractive to the 2023 class (which supposedly is deep in AL - and we are behind, way behind again). 

We can't hire a retread,  hire a stable staff and attract the talent.  Those three don't go together.   Kirby, Nick, Kiffen, Jimbo - they can all win those battles against a retread HC.  Heck - we would lose 7/10 times to UT right now with a retread.    Need to think recruiting first I think.

Agree completely.

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Maybe, but it's what I want.  

If we end up with a retread or a cheap-o no-name midwestern potato, I'm done. 

You hear me?

I'M DONE! 

I like the strategy, devils in the details.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I like the strategy, devils in the details.

Who knows?  Maybe Briles can use some of our existing potatoes left over from last season?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beaker said:

This guy is approved by a $6 billion dollar company. Obviously, those commercials tested out well, or they would not made several of them. And it is clear SABAN did not mind connecting his brand with him. High school players would swarm to play for him at Auburn. He already out recruited us for a few top players at that small, small school. Reread that last sentence, and let it sink in. 

Deon-Sanders-1.jpg

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

Auburn would be lucky to find someone like a Sam Pittman who will rally this team, hire a dynamic OC, and build a winning culture.  The good news is Auburn has talent on both sides of the ball and can win immediately.  No need to take a chance on a flashy name.  

• Dislike 1