A theory with Devan Cambridge's shot

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Remember the Laker who would put the ball behind his head as part of his shooting form? Can't remember his name but he was very good.

I'm gonna guess you are older and are referencing Keith (updated to Jamaal) Wilkes. One of the most unorthodox shots I have ever seen that he could consistently hit. Brings back memories and I thought of him when reading your post before you mentioned him...lol.

14 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I'm gonna guess you are older and are referencing Keith (updated to Jamaal) Wilkes. One of the most unorthodox shots I have ever seen that he could consistently hit. Brings back memories and I thought of him when reading your post before you mentioned him...lol.

Yes....Silk.  Thanks....

Even his FTs came from behind his head. And he had those droopy eyes, and just played so smooth. 

He was on some great Laker teams back then. When(as you were right, a older guy) guys like him, Magic, Bird, Jabaar, McHale, the Chief, etc. played....

On 2/14/2022 at 1:13 AM, tigeraddikt said:

Here’s my theory on Cambridge’s shot: he has terrible mechanics and therefore misses the vast majority of them. No one has taken time to focus on helping him with it bc he can jump 13’ and his true value is playing D, hustling for rebounds, and playing above the rim.

He drained a bunch of 3’s as a freshman against USCe a couple years back and ever since then, he’s christened himself as the second coming of Steph Curry (I exaggerate).

Or maybe it's just the headband.

To be fair to Cambridge He was awesome AT HOME vs Rocky Top AND LSU as well that season from three but was bad virtually every other game that season. He only made 1 three away from Auburn arena that whole season and it was in Legacy Arena vs St Louis. He did not make a single three in any true road game that season. Now he just cannot buy a three pointer NO MATTER WHERE HE is playing. That is the biggest weakness I see from this team. Three point shooting. We are missing some snipers. Even the 2020 team who at times could be offensively challenged was A MUCH more consistent three point shooting team. Or at least they seemed to make more. That is my perception at least. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

To be fair to Cambridge He was awesome AT HOME vs Rocky Top AND LSU as well that season from three but was bad virtually every other game that season. He only made 1 three away from Auburn arena that whole season and it was in Legacy Arena vs St Louis. He did not make a single three in any true road game that season. Now he just cannot buy a three pointer NO MATTER WHERE HE is playing. That is the biggest weakness I see from this team. Three point shooting. We are missing some snipers. Even the 2019 team who at times could be offensively challenged was A MUCH more consistent three point shooting team. Or at least they seemed to make more. That is my perception at least. 

It's like we are in Bryce slump mode all year long lol

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

To be fair to Cambridge He was awesome AT HOME vs Rocky Top AND LSU as well that season from three but was bad virtually every other game that season. He only made 1 three away from Auburn arena that whole season and it was in Legacy Arena vs St Louis. He did not make a single three in any true road game that season. Now he just cannot buy a three pointer NO MATTER WHERE HE is playing. That is the biggest weakness I see from this team. Three point shooting. We are missing some snipers. Even the 2019 team who at times could be offensively challenged was A MUCH more consistent three point shooting team. Or at least they seemed to make more. That is my perception at least. 

Jabari is the only rotation player shooting even an NCAA-average percentage from 3pt, everyone else on the team is below average to terrible from three. There are 301 teams shooting better than us, out of 358. 

Makes our record even more incredible, actually. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

However - the stats say 2019 was even worse! I wouldn’t have expected that either. That team finished 309th in 3pt%. 

• Like 1

I was high on Cambridge when I saw him the first time in an exhibition his freshman year. I still love his abilities on many things, but let's be honest here. His shot is broken and getting worse. He needs a full rebuild after the season is over. I'm not sure he does a single thing in his shooting form that you would want to teach a middle school or high school player to do. His body is aligned (hips and shoulders at same angle of approach), his hands are putting opposite forces on the ball (creates tension in the big arm muscles leading to inconsistent distances), his wrists are at unconventional angles (leads to inconsistent accuracy) and he underutilizes his legs. I hate to say it, but I never expect him to make it when he shoots it anymore. On top of all that, many times you can see a hesitation which tells you he isn't confident in it, which may be worst of all. 

I'm rooting for him, but a rebuild of that stroke is necessary in the off season. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dunndone414 said:

However - the stats say 2019 was even worse! I wouldn’t have expected that either. That team finished 309th in 3pt%. 

The final four team was even worse?! Wow really? Now that's absolutely blowing my mind man. Because didn't they make the second most threes in a single season ever behind the 2018 nova team?!  Because I mistyped and said the 2019 team when I meant the 2020 team which was the final four team backups plus Samir and Okoro. 

Edited by GwillMac6

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

The final four team was even worse?! Wow really? Now that's absolutely blowing my mind man. Because didn't they make the second most threes in a single season ever behind the 2018 nova team?!  Because I mistyped and said the 2019 team when I meant the 2020 team which was the final four team backups plus Samir and Okoro. 

I was referring to the 2019-20 team. The final four team was a much better shooting team. Sorry for the confusion. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

I was referring to the 2019-20 team. The final four team was a much better shooting team. Sorry for the confusion. 

Although IIRC Doughty was finding his stroke late in the regular season. Too bad Emmert, errrrr COVID, stole their chance at a postseason run. 

Last night Devan hit a crazy tough 3 with a defender in his face and then later air balled an absolutely wide open 3 with no one even close to him. He’s just not a good shooter, but if you take enough of them some will go in I guess. If he would get away from taking the 3’s altogether I think he’d have a much higher level of respect in general. He’s obviously a fantastic athlete. 

On 2/16/2022 at 9:59 AM, JwgreDeux said:

I was high on Cambridge when I saw him the first time in an exhibition his freshman year. I still love his abilities on many things, but let's be honest here. His shot is broken and getting worse. He needs a full rebuild after the season is over. I'm not sure he does a single thing in his shooting form that you would want to teach a middle school or high school player to do. His body is aligned (hips and shoulders at same angle of approach), his hands are putting opposite forces on the ball (creates tension in the big arm muscles leading to inconsistent distances), his wrists are at unconventional angles (leads to inconsistent accuracy) and he underutilizes his legs. I hate to say it, but I never expect him to make it when he shoots it anymore. On top of all that, many times you can see a hesitation which tells you he isn't confident in it, which may be worst of all. 

I'm rooting for him, but a rebuild of that stroke is necessary in the off season. 

Agreed.  His shot looks like Barkley's golf swing.  

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Last night Devan hit a crazy tough 3 with a defender in his face and then later air balled an absolutely wide open 3 with no one even close to him. He’s just not a good shooter, but if you take enough of them some will go in I guess. If he would get away from taking the 3’s altogether I think he’d have a much higher level of respect in general. He’s obviously a fantastic athlete. 

Only thing I have to add is that he was moving left while shooting that shot. He’s probably made less than 5 moving threes all season but maybe that’s a solution. I dunno 

I do fantasize about a world where he could shoot. Because he’s just such an insanely impactful rebounder and has high instincts on that side of the ball 

We’re really in a situation where like three different guys could be a borderline star if they could just add a consistent shot and nothing else. Jaylin has been absolved by how bad DC and Flan has been shooting (he doesn’t take the same volume as they’d normally do, and does add inside game obv), but his touch has cratered. His slow wind up honestly makes him less optimal a choice than even DC. And then he releases it on the way down so I’m always worried about an injury on a close out or a potential up down call. 

I complained about it in here already, but it’s really tough seeing these guys that were relatively good spacers last season just give us nothing resembling.