Why Ashford should start over TJ at Quarterback

aubiefifty

• Haha 1

i was a little underwhelmed but he makes some good points..............

Finley threw what should have been two picks also. They were dropped by our defensive backs that were there. Another disappointment. The video is talking backup not starter. Is the poster assuming Calzada will start?  Geriner? 

12 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Finley threw what should have been two picks also. They were dropped by our defensive backs that were there. Another disappointment. The video is talking backup not starter. Is the poster assuming Calzada will start?  Geriner? 

people have been saying he brought calzada to start but that is just people talking so i have no idea. it is slow news wise        so i am just giving folks something to look at. i am a robby guy myself until our frosh gets his wings. when they say they will be putting in packages for him it would appear he might be special. what do you think jj?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

people have been saying he brought calzada to start but that is just people talking so i have no idea. it is slow news wise        so i am just giving folks something to look at. i am a robby guy myself until our frosh gets his wings. when they say they will be putting in packages for him it would appear he might be special. what do you think jj?

I thought Ashford and Geriner both looked great.  Either one would be great in my mind. Ashford has more college experience by one year so I would lean his way. Finley looked no different than he ever did. As our starter and as the QB1 from LSU that we absolutely destroyed. Calzada is just unknown. He beat bammer which is a great accomplishment but how is he in the long run.  We though I heard a coach say that they could all run the full offense so when I hear “put in packages” it makes me wonder. If you are putting in packages and that’s all you got then you will be scouted and it won’t work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

He's basing his argument on A-Day? Seriously? If that were the right path, Barrett Trotter would have started for us in 2010...

That having been said, Ashford probably should be the backup before Finley.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

He's basing his argument on A-Day? Seriously? If that were the right path, Barrett Trotter would have started for us in 2010...

i wish tj could get it together. he has not made any kind of fuss and he is a great young man from everything i have read about him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I think I should play over Ashford and TJ. I had zero incompletions during A Day. :big:

The incompletions aren't the full story. When they occur is always the bigger factor. I will always prefer a QB who can run too. 

• Like 1

I would hope that Harsin has an open mind and isn’t “bringing in starters”. If Harsin is everything he claims to be, there will be an open competition in the fall and the best man will win. I just have a hard time seeing how TJ and Zach are the actual best options. Especially TJ. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i wish tj could get it together. he has not made any kind of fuss and he is a great young man from everything i have read about him.

I'd love for him to put it all together because the team would definitely rally around him. I just have my doubts that he will.

Frankly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Geriner put out there if Calzada gets hurt. Hell, I wouldn't be that surprised if he wins the job outright in preseason practice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I think I should play over Ashford and TJ. I had zero incompletions during A Day. :big:

The incompletions aren't the full story. When they occur is always the bigger factor. I will always prefer a QB who can run too. 

after i posted this and was listening while looking for other stuff for the board i realized the guy sounds like a young kid..lol

Just now, Rednilla said:

I'd love for him to put it all together because the team would definitely rally around him. I just have my doubts that he will.

Frankly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Geriner put out there if Calzada gets hurt. Hell, I wouldn't be that surprised if he wins the job outright in preseason practice.

we have the hardest schedule in the nation so best be using our best. i think Geriner is a great talent but i would not want to destroy his confidence unless he is mentally ready.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I would hope that Harsin has an open mind and isn’t “bringing in starters”. If Harsin is everything he claims to be, there will be an open competition in the fall and the best man will win. I just have a hard time seeing how TJ and Zach are the actual best options. Especially TJ. 

The open competition will last about 10 days. 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

The open competition will last about 10 days. 

I agree, it just won't take long for the cream to rise to the top in this competition.  A-Day gave a few glimpses of the pro's & con's of each player. 

I've was said TJ is nothing but a serviceable backup. If he has to play, won't win you any games nor lose you any. 

Also in before GeOrGiA StAtE

People should be supportive of all the QB 's in the same way they were supportive of the last QB. On this site you shouldn't even be able to critique a QB. This board should be the most QB friendly board on the net

• Like 2

I saw plenty of criticism thrown at Bo Nix last year. Myself included. Especially after GA St game. One prominent sports writer in the state, Goodman , even called for Bo to be benched in favor of TJ for the rest of the yr. Plenty of posters on this very board criticized Bo. Some on the board defended his every move. TJ or whoever wins the job will face the same scrutiny.  Comes with the territory of playing QB in this state.

• Like 2

I will never stop pulling for us to start a QB with wheels. It's an equalizer that we desperately need.

The defense has to be honest or get burned when your QB is a threat to take it to the house every single play. It opens up the offense in ways that we just don't have the talent to do on our own at this point. 

• Like 1

I have to admit I was pulling for Finley prior to A-Day game. He was put in a tough position at end of year where Bo had been getting all the 1st team reps. I really thought with him getting the majority of the 1st team reps and staring with 1st team Offense against 2nd team defense he would shine. Initially he did but as game went on he went backwards. The almost picks were just bad decisions that a 3rd year QB even as a backup should not have made. Ashford looked good and like others I like that he has wheels. A bad performance in A-day game means more to me then a good performance in A-day game as over the years we have seen Superman in A-Day game that never became starters. 

As for people in Geriner corner please some perspective a lot of the defenders were third team and walk-on's. I saw a very good arm and a quick release but also saw him lock in receiver and throw because TE was open.  I am not knocking Geriner I would have to see him against a better defense before I would push him as a freshman starter.

I believe Summer/Fall that Calzada/Ashford will end up being number 1 and number 2 and I am not sure which will be 1 and which will be 2.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I have to admit I was pulling for Finley prior to A-Day game. He was put in a tough position at end of year where Bo had been getting all the 1st team reps. I really thought with him getting the majority of the 1st team reps and staring with 1st team Offense against 2nd team defense he would shine. Initially he did but as game went on he went backwards. The almost picks were just bad decisions that a 3rd year QB even as a backup should not have made. Ashford looked good and like others I like that he has wheels. A bad performance in A-day game means more to me then a good performance in A-day game as over the years we have seen Superman in A-Day game that never became starters. 

As for people in Geriner corner please some perspective a lot of the defenders were third team and walk-on's. I saw a very good arm and a quick release but also saw him lock in receiver and throw because TE was open.  I am not knocking Geriner I would have to see him against a better defense before I would push him as a freshman starter.

I believe Summer/Fall that Calzada/Ashford will end up being number 1 and number 2 and I am not sure which will be 1 and which will be 2.

True that Bo got 1 reps until the game he got hurt, then TJ thereafter. Hard to tell with TJ last year as his injury definitely affected his play but he stuck it out ( for the good of the team , I might add).

On Geriner, he seemed inly able to watch/throw to his right side of field. They looked like much pared down choices in the play calling. That limits him greatly IMO.

23 hours ago, Rednilla said:

If cam had 2 years if being a giant blob of meh, then yea. 

Must have missed that cam was a stud recruit who lit up the highlight reels before he came to Auburn. Or that TJ was mid tier QB recruit who has been lacking at 2 different schools now. 

I’m pulling for Ashford or Calzada. I have not seen enough consistency from TJ to expect him to go to next level, this includes LS WHO time.

• Like 1

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/film-room-looking-at-the-deep-throws-from-zach-calzada/

Posting because it's a free article. I am growing more and more intrigued. He just looks the part. I know he wasn't a good QB last year, and I get that he may never be, but the physical talent is high. These are just flashes, but high level throws

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

People should be supportive of all the QB 's in the same way they were supportive of the last QB. On this site you shouldn't even be able to critique a QB. This board should be the most QB friendly board on the net

Cole, you are 100% right. Some of the same people that defended Bo to the end were out on Finley after a couple games. I'm not saying Finley is the answer, but the different treatment was noticeable. 

But you and I can still critique QB play. And some others that were reasonable about Bo, too. For those who wish to be considered, send your application to cbo@InevershinedBosballs.com. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1