some separation for QBs after first scrimmage

aubiefifty

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

And even if he was, give him the benefit of the doubt with regards to improving. He had another year in the system, another year with S&C, another year being coached correctly, another year with teammates, etc. There is a real possibility that throughout this off-season, TJ improved.

Definitely possible, but there's no game evidence yet. Personally, I could care less who takes the snaps, I want Auburn to win football games because that's what matters most. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 2:51 PM, AUwartigerAU said:

I think Ashford may not fit the scheme the best, but I think he gives us the best chance to win. And the best chance at a dynamic offense. Just my thought….

Agree. Especially when you have two QBs who are not consistent. I think Ashford will have a package no matter who starts. I don't think we can afford not to have him as a running threat. If he can use those reps and show he can improve his passing...he could have a chance to be the starter later in the season. 

Edited by WarEagle1983
  • Like 1

I think I would feel better about TJ if the narrative was "Calzada and Ashford have come gunning the job, and TJ as a result has improved to keep it".

Instead the narrative seems to be "Calzada doesn't know the playbook and Ashford is as accurate as a Storm Trooper".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think maybe this sums it up….

All 3 have a strong arm, right? 
TJ has the experience in our system

Ashford is the most athletic of the 3.   
Calzada beat bama.  
None have shown consistency.   Once one of the 3 can start showing some consistency, we’ll have our answer.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. Especially when you have two QBs who are not consistent. I think Ashford will have a package no matter who starts. I don't think we can afford not to have him as a running threat. If he can use those reps and show he can improve his passing...he could have a chance to be the starter later in the season. 

i think this is a good thing. if ash gets in and the others are struggling it would give us another option.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I think Ashford's accuracy is not as bad or as far off as the other QB's as people think. With Ashford its about decesion making and if he has learned when to stand in the pocket and when to bailout then he likely gives us the best chance to win based on overall measurables. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I think I would feel better about TJ if the narrative was "Calzada and Ashford have come gunning the job, and TJ as a result has improved to keep it".

Instead the narrative seems to be "Calzada doesn't know the playbook and Ashford is as accurate as a Storm Trooper".

Since I have cganged my Avator I am going to take this comment personal. LOL!  😒

• Haha 3

For what it’s worth… reports are that  Ashford went for 13-22 today in practice. 

I’m excited to see him on the field but I’m not sure it will be in a starting role this year. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:55 PM, GreenTiger said:

For what it’s worth… reports are that  Ashford went for 13-22 today in practice. 

I’m excited to see him on the field but I’m not sure it will be in a starting role this year. 

It depends on what kind of throws were the 22 passing plays. How many drops were there? I don't think you can say it's bad without knowing the situation. Plus when you add in Ashford's running threat, 13-22 may not look too bad. 

I know there likely will not be another Nick Marshall but if he has some of those attributes and able to complete some passes here and there; i'll take it. So i get why some are hyping Ashford. 

At this point, I want to see all the QBs the first two games b/c i don't think our QB race is going to be settled anytime soon until they see real live action. 

It's clear to me at this point that they're trying to decide if ZC or TJ starts and Ashford is going to have a package b/c neither of the other two look that great. We have a roster of QBs that are largely inconsistent and Ashford will be brought in to make defenses think and react to a different scheme of our offense. Therefore, I'm not excited about ZC or TJ at this point. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

It depends on what kind of throws were the 22 passing plays. How many drops were there? I don't think you can say it's bad without knowing the situation. Plus when you add in Ashford's running threat, 13-22 may not look too bad. 

I know there likely will not be another Nick Marshall but if he has some of those attributes and able to complete some passes here and there; i'll take it. So i get why some are hyping Ashford. 

At this point, I want to see all the QBs the first two games b/c i don't think our QB race is going to be settled anytime soon until they see real live action. 

It's clear to me at this point that they're trying to decide if ZC or TJ starts and Ashford is going to have a package b/c neither of the other two look that great. We have a roster of QBs that are largely inconsistent and Ashford will be brought in to make defenses think and react to a different scheme of our offense. Therefore, I'm not excited about ZC or TJ at this point. 

Sure. Hence opening my statement with….. “For what it’s worth”. Never said or implied Ashford is bad. 
I believe we won’t know our starting QB until the Penn State game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

How many drops were there?

If they're only dropping balls thrown by Ashford, that is indicative of a problem itself.

I like the package option; forces defenses to waste time prepping for different plays, and he could be advantageous in the redzone or on 3rd/4th down short yardage plays with RPO's.

• Like 2

Ashford wadnt good on Tues. inaccurate and lacked touch. 

Calzada and Tj both looked good

Brahms is touch and go so youll likely see Tate Johnson or Council there (Tate Johnson is my pick for starter with Council as a backup and him starting guard)

Best part about tate is he has another year so if he does start that just helps for ‘24

SIAP

• Thanks 1

Ashford is a great athlete. Is he a starting QB??? TBD. I love that he is on the team and yes…. could help us in some situations. The Ashford chatter/hype reminds me of the 2021 athletic freshman QB who never saw the field and transferred. We fans love the unknown or unproven players because we can create them into our hopeful saviors. Of course I hope he is the next Nick Marshal 😁

I hope he’s the next Malik Willis but with playing time!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I hope he’s the next Malik Willis but with playing time!

I haven’t seen too much film but Robby has the build, and some of the attributes of a young Josh Allen. Throws a good ball but not super accurate and can really use his legs if necessary. 

Coach Harsin is taking a page from the NS coach book.  When he talks about the QB position and the immeasurables that go into naming a QB starter, he is talking to us.  He is telling us who is improving in these areas and who is not.  He did not spend much time talking about speed, spirals or completion %. This was the opinion from someone who has been at practice.  Things are not perfect, this may play out through the season.  I think he is asking us to tolerate the intolerable until the picture is clarified by performance on the field.

Little doc, venerable outsider

• Like 1

All I ask if our QBs can make the basic throws…don’t know why this has been so problematic lately 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

At this point, we either trust Harsin or not.  I trust him to get it right.

IMO, Harsin is currently weighting leadership/game management skills as the priority if other things are approximately the same, which is why Finley has separated himself.  But, I think it will remain a competition at least until the Penn State game.

All we really need from a QB to exceed last year is adequate play  - the proverbial 60% completion rate.  But that 60% has to include the ability to occasionally stretch the field and avoid teams stacking the box. If we can manage to stretch the field and unleash our running game, we will be a team to contend with.

All things considered, I feel pretty good.  At least this year, we've got an actual QB room to draw from - no more playing an injured QB because we have no viable alternative.

And like I said, I trust Harsin to get it right.  There's as much as stake for him as anybody.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

IMO, Harsin is currently weighting leadership/game management skills as the priority if other things are approximately the same, which is why Finley has separated himself.  But, I think it will remain a competition at least until the Penn State game.

All we really need from a QB to exceed last year is adequate play  - the proverbial 60% completion rate.  But that 60% has to include the ability to occasionally stretch the field and avoid teams stacking the box. If we can manage to stretch the field and unleash our running game, we will be a team to contend with.

All things considered, I feel pretty good.  At least this year, we've got an actual QB room to draw from - no more playing an injured QB because we have no viable alternative.

And like I said, I trust Harsin to get it right.  There's as much as stake for him as anybody.

I remember when we use to make fun of game day manager like QBs. I would love to have that right about now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

I remember when we use to make fun of game day manager like QBs. I would love to have that right about now. 

Back when we had receivers that could get a little separation and catch the ball when it was delivered - which is the other side of that "adequate" QB play I failed to mention.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:21 PM, bigbird said:

And even if he was, give him the benefit of the doubt with regards to improving. He had another year in the system, another year with S&C, another year being coached correctly, another year with teammates, etc. There is a real possibility that throughout this off-season, TJ improved.

He didn't look amazing in the spring game, but I thought he look better.  1st pass was a rollout.  He was a near disaster last year on any pass on the move.  Still had some overthrows, which another offseason/fall camp, hopefully can continue to improve

Pretty good deep ball to Tank that Tank needs to make a better play on.  A WR catches that for a long gain.

Perfectly placed deep ball to #3 and a horrible drop.

He had 2 really bad overthrows, one that ended up a pick.

You change the ball to Dawson and Tank's drop to a catch and he's 69% Comp%, 13/19 for 225 and 2 or 3 TDs with a pick....in limited action.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad my profile has been updated to QB1 TJ Finley long before I hyped up and convinced myself he'll win the hiesman this year

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Seems simple but that's the biggest issue with both current QBs contending for the starting position. Thus, why we're going to have to use Ashford in packages just to give defenses an additional real threat to gameplan for. 

It's also why it wouldn't surprise me if  (hopefully it will not be the case) we see all 3 starting at some point. 

Do i think TJ has improved some; Yes. But at the same time it doesn't appear that he's in the lead b/c he's looked so much better. Rather it's that ZC hasn't looked good and TJ has been in the system longer and he's a good leader. 

• 3 weeks later...