The Harsin Question

Malcolm_FleX48

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Feel free to excuse yourself till you feel better prepared for the conversation.

You should do better than coming back with another gibberish post. Go get some numbers to support your position, if you have one.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You should do better than coming back with another gibberish post. Go get some numbers to support your position, if you have one.

My position is you're obsessed with defending Gus. You defend anything and everything said against him. No matter the forum, the thread, or the subject, there you are, ever vigilant to defend Gus.

Facts/Proof: Your posting history.

It's interesting to say the least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Are any of the transfers playing well for their new teams? It sounds like they are not playing or not producing. 

I believe JJ Pegues is starting at Ole Miss. Haven't seen him play, but he has a couple tackles and a sack. 

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You know why the ranking was so low when Harsin was hired? The numbers were low because several de-committed when there was a coaching change. The ranking had to raise when the numbers increased. Had all the new ones been 2* guys the ranking would still have come up significantly.

So then why did Al.com release an article on Dec. 9th before Malzahn was fired stating the class was ranked 42nd?

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/12/adding-context-to-auburns-42nd-ranked-recruiting-class-as-early-signing-period-nears.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I swear reading through this forum lately has been like watching a bunch of scorpions in a bucket. At the end of the day, college football is entertainment. It's supposed to be fun. I haven't seen this many people this wrapped around the axle about something that's supposed to be fun since the last Star Wars movie came out.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

I swear reading through this forum lately has been like watching a bunch of scorpions in a bucket. At the end of the day, college football is entertainment. It's supposed to be fun. I haven't seen this many people this wrapped around the axle about something that's supposed to be fun since the last Star Wars movie came out.

giphy.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/12/2022 at 1:17 PM, aucom96 said:

From the things he says, Harsin sees himself as primarily a developer. From his actions to date, he seems to view recruiting in terms of vetting over numbers. The problem is that our roster is depleted and we need those numbers to get Harsin to the point of discovering his abilities as a developer. If recruiting doesn’t pick up substantially, it will be a moot point because he’s nearing a sub-SEC level roster and time will cease to be on his side.

Especially in a year where the 25/yr scholly cap has been waived.  This staff is hopefully beating down doors to fill the roster with whatever they can get.  IF a player doesn't pan out later then steer them to the portal and back-fill that spot later.  

44 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

You think it's bad now? Just wait till we lose a game or two. 

This place will be absolutely apocalyptic. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I thought his background and history in coaching made him a promising hire. That was day one. Then I (wrongly) thought Bobo and Mason were good hires.

I became disillusioned and started questioning things when he failed to successfully close out the 2021 recruiting class in February 2021. It's been downhill since then.

Harsin’s background and history revolved around taking over a program that Petersen built. Wasn’t that difficult to continue winning 9+ games/yr against New Mexico, Wyoming & San Jose St.

Mason was a great hire. Of course he wasn’t “one of them” so Harsin ran him off. Bobo was a horrific hire…didn’t need more proof.

In the words of Dennis Green…recruiting is what we thought they would be. Solely off the name Auburn and nothing from the HC. In this era, it needs to be at least equal.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

56 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

You think it's bad now? Just wait till we lose a game or two. 

This place will be absolutely apocalyptic. 

There will be at least five…likely six…maybe seven. Strap yourselves in. 

Edited by Viper
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Carnell said:

You are correct but that is the case in just about all instance.  Even with Bama hiring of Saben a large base of their fans wanted another canadiate such as Rodriguez.  Really the only coaching search that can remember that was relatively calm was when we tried to hire Dooley.  However, when Dooley turned us down, the Kaos began.

I’m sorry but your Bama comparison is not true.   RR was verbally hired by Alabama and in the process of getting to Alabama and signing the papers, he changed his mind.   During the time leading up to offering him the job, Saban wasn’t even a candidate.   After this happened, Mal Moore went after Saban.
I believe that everyone would have been on board with Dooley. 

On 9/12/2022 at 2:35 PM, murpjf88 said:

BTW, was Smart highly rated as a head coach when he first joined Georgia? I don't think he was.

He had never been a HC. He was, however, consistently a top 5 recruiter. And that’s what wins 10+ games/yr.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 2:04 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

I hope so. Gonna be honest. Watching a video of him and the team jumping around tossing water everywhere after that game against San Jose St made me smh harder than I have in a while. There was very little reason for celebrating Saturday night. That game was antithetical to everything Harsin preaches. 

When you know you are coaching an average team because you made it so, you will use any positive tactic and gimmick possible to make them believe you are better than it appears. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2022 at 3:22 PM, PoetTiger said:

Let em celebrate, it has no bearing one way or the other. It was a sloppy game from start and cleared up towards the finish. It appeared Auburn thought they could toss their helmet out there and win. SJSU, invested a lot more into the game than Auburn did. They wanted the upset, probably had it circled all summer while Auburn was possibly looking ahead, just like the many posters here were.

Problem is it wasn’t a game that AU could win by more than 24 (the Vegas line) more often than not. We really are only 8 points better than a FCS program who went 5-7 last season and gave up 7 sacks to Portland St two weeks ago. AU wasn’t looking ahead. Because if they cleared it up at halftime, they should have blown SJSU’s doors off in the 2nd half. That clearly didn’t happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

Problem is it wasn’t a game that AU could win by more than 24 (the Vegas line) more often than not. We really are only 8 points better than a FCS program who went 5-7 last season and gave up 7 sacks to Portland St two weeks ago. AU wasn’t looking ahead. Because if they cleared it up at halftime, they should have blown SJSU’s doors off in the 2nd half. That clearly didn’t happen.

I’m pretty sure that SJSU is an FBS school.   Auburn has been an average team (minus 2010, 2013 and 2017 ) for the last 13 years.   I wish I had the answer on who would actually come and coach at auburn that is a slam dunk hire.     

12 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m pretty sure that SJSU is an FBS school.   Auburn has been an average team (minus 2010, 2013 and 2017 ) for the last 13 years.   I wish I had the answer on who would actually come and coach at auburn that is a slam dunk hire.     

Sorry, I meant Group of 5. Point is they aren’t a P5 program. They went 5-7 last season mostly playing their conference foes. A 4-8 USC team beat them 30-7. This isn’t 2015 Jax St, who went on to play in their National Championship game. This isn’t Appy St, who has a 5-star QB. It’s a bad Mountain West Conference team who struggled to beat Portland St (who subsequently lost to Washington 52-6) and had no business hanging with us. 

Auburn fielded above average teams in 2014, 2016, 2018 & 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I’m sorry but your Bama comparison is not true.   RR was verbally hired by Alabama and in the process of getting to Alabama and signing the papers, he changed his mind.   During the time leading up to offering him the job, Saban wasn’t even a candidate.   After this happened, Mal Moore went after Saban.
I believe that everyone would have been on board with Dooley. 

Not what I heard Moore was getting was getting set to hire RR and Drummond was down in Miami negotiating with Saben undermining the efforts by Moore.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

He had never been a HC. He was, however, consistently a top 5 recruiter. And that’s what wins 10+ games/yr.

He'd also worked under the most detail oriented, OCD little basturd in the business and knew what it took to put a consistent championship contender on the field.  He was at the very center of "The Process" and lived it 24/7. 

3 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

He'd also worked under the most detail oriented, OCD little basturd in the business and knew what it took to put a consistent championship contender on the field.  He was at the very center of "The Process" and lived it 24/7. 

Yup and why he was a top 5 recruiter year after year. Dye wanted him after Chiz. Alas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Yup and why he was a top 5 recruiter year after year. Dye wanted him after Chiz. Alas.

I remember at the time thinking how wrong Dye was for wanting Smart and we would be fools to turn down Gus.  It turns out I am just an idiot.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

I remember at the time thinking how wrong Dye was for wanting Smart and we would be fools to turn down Gus.  It turns out I am just an idiot.  

Unfortunately, we had no say-so. Recruiting solves all. Who knows if Kirbs had stayed. If signed, he likely bolts to GA eventually. Who knows who we sign next.

6 hours ago, Carnell said:

Not what I heard Moore was getting was getting set to hire RR and Drummond was down in Miami negotiating with Saben undermining the efforts by Moore.

Gary N Drummond was on record saying that paying Saban $4MM a year, or whatever it was initially, was lunacy.   Turns out he was badly wrong.  But, he came up in the years where CPB refused to be paid more than the University President.  Of course CPB was on about 7 boards where he really made his money.    

26 minutes ago, Viper said:

Unfortunately, we had no say-so. Recruiting solves all. Who knows if Kirbs had stayed. If signed, he likely bolts to GA eventually. Who knows who we sign next.

The program would be in much better shape if Kirby came here, even if he left a few years later. And if he has things working at AU, it's very possible he stays. 

It's painful to know we could have had Kirby. But it also should give us hope that we can get the right coach, if we make the right decision just one time.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, cbo said:

The program would be in much better shape if Kirby came here, even if he left a few years later. And if he has things working at AU, it's very possible he stays. 

It's painful to know we could have had Kirby. But it also should give us hope that we can get the right coach, if we make the right decision just one time.

100% agreed. Back in 2007, I ribbed a good bammer friend that "Suitcase Saban" would be leaving them after 5 years and move on to the next best program. He said at that time. "At least we'll be better for it." I lost that bet, paid for his dinner 5 years later, and still wonder what we'd be like if we had Kirbs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nurbis said:

So then why did Al.com release an article on Dec. 9th before Malzahn was fired stating the class was ranked 42nd?

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/12/adding-context-to-auburns-42nd-ranked-recruiting-class-as-early-signing-period-nears.html

I don't know why Al.com posted such a thing. While the gross numbers weren't good, there were 3 4* players that signed on the Dec. 10 early signing day.. Was the recruiting rated this poorly on other sites? I don't remember it being so. Three 4* guys of themselves should have kept the level above 42. But then, it was Al.com so anything that makes Auburn look bad is possible.