Gernorris Wilson Decommits After Harsin Firing

toddc

8 hours ago, milehighfan said:

All they have to do is take a look at the current starters we have on the OL to realize if they put in the work they can be starters immediately....if not sooner.

Well yes. There will be a lot of vacancies on our O-line after this season. Why the coaching staff hasn't been able to sell this fact and get more commitments from top prospects is befuddling.

• Like 1

We could probably get plenty of commits from low end 3* OLs right now, kids that would normally sign with UAB, Troy, USA, etc.  But the 4*s likely think there will be a new staff next year,so they are waiting to see how the season goes, maybe holding off until new staff or NSD. 5* are not in the picture for AU right now. I would like to be more optimistic but realism reels me back in.

2 hours ago, autan said:

We could probably get plenty of commits from low end 3* OLs right now, kids that would normally sign with UAB, Troy, USA, etc.  But the 4*s likely think there will be a new staff next year,so they are waiting to see how the season goes, maybe holding off until new staff or NSD. 5* are not in the picture for AU right now. I would like to be more optimistic but realism reels me back in.

Most of the 4* guys are committed elsewhere. I took a look at the Rivals 250 a few weeks ago. Only nine O-line guys on that list remained uncommitted. Now, we might flip a few if they don't sign early but that's iffy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Most of the 4* guys are committed elsewhere. I took a look at the Rivals 250 a few weeks ago. Only nine O-line guys on that list remained uncommitted. Now, we might flip a few if they don't sign early but that's iffy.

You're right Mikey as usual. Most are already committed. (A few like Chester are still out there). Even if the committed kids really like AU, there's no way they would flip into the uncertainty. Patience is not a virtue for most of us!!

• Like 1

• augolf1716 unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Zeek changed the title to Gernorris Wilson Decommits After Harsin Firing

Didn't he have a committable offer from someone else, UNC I believe. If it's still on the table he may have decided to take it, not being sure if new coaches would honor his committment. Auburn's policy back in the day was to honor them, but times are tough and different now.

2 minutes ago, autan said:

Didn't he have a committable offer from someone else, UNC I believe. If it's still on the table he may have decided to take it, not being sure if new coaches would honor his committment. Auburn's policy back in the day was to honor them, but times are tough and different now.

I think it was Michigan State and Mel Tucker

50 minutes ago, Zeek said:

To be expected 

This is why getting a new coach ob=n-board quick is important.  When I say on-board I don't mean leaving in the middle of a season and coming here but allowing us to make an announcement sooner rather then later.  That will help keeping as many of the current recruits as the new coach likes and maybe help get some new recruits. 

With our need for O-line I believe any of the current O-line recruits would be kept by a new coach  but you never know.

• 1 month later...

Is this kid still in play for Auburn?

7 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Is this kid still in play for Auburn?

Not sure, after decommitting from Auburn, he committed to Oregon.  If you look at the On3 page about him, it shows they are predicting he has a better chance to choose Auburn than Oregon.  Maybe he has been contacted by the new staff and he is rethinking things.  He is from Florida and Auburn is a lot closer to home.  Who knows.  Maybe we will be surprised tomorrow.  We'll take all the OL guys we can get.  We were high on him once, don't think we would turn him away if he reengaged conversation and wanted to reenter the fold.

• Like 1