What to do with the OL?

bigbird

7 minutes ago, woodford said:

Jeff or JB Grimes? Your guess is as good as mine.

You know more than I and we do need talent, but this is college football. Coaching is so crucial. It shouldn't be this bad. 

It was a set up question.  Grimes, of course, the one that will be our next HC.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 7:57 AM, aucom96 said:

Basically the Gus special. Quick screens, misdirection and counters, RPO. Get Koy Moore and Tank in space and hope someone misses. 

I'm not sure we have enough experience at QB to pull it off well, regardless. 

Truth

23 hours ago, arein0 said:

I think everyone knows we dont have the line to give enough protection to attack deep and that is why you are seeing teams load up the box.

I think we should focus on getting the defense to move side to side to wear them down physically. Try to get them running and thinking vs reading and reacting. On passing plays, I would always have 2 TEs on either side to chip the edge rushers. Quick slants, outs.

With this same line, we have had designed down field plays in years past.  This staff simply isn't smart enough to understand how to scheme.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Uggh, it's been so bad for so long.

Who was our last competent and consistent OL coach?

Jeff Grimes!

(I know you know that.   You just wanted someone to answer it out loud. 😁)

Edited by AUinMS9528
  • Haha 2

Hire Golf as the OL coach and give each of the OL players a case of PBR to consume pre-game.  I don’t see how it could be any worse than what we’ve already seen… 😂

On 9/26/2022 at 6:43 AM, bigbird said:

They are who we thought they were...

dennis-green-theyare-whoe-we-thought-the 

You're the HC or OL coach.  How do you fix the issues?  

Personnel change? Who?

Different plays? Which?

Scheme? What do you adjust?

What do you do to fix our most glaring on field issue?

That's a great question.........while anyone one of those lineman could knock me on my arse easily, the average d lineman in the SEC isn't 55yrs old😆

8 hours ago, gctiger said:

Hire Golf as the OL coach and give each of the OL players a case of PBR to consume pre-game.  I don’t see how it could be any worse than what we’ve already seen… 😂

Some people are aggressive drunks. This could work 😂

• Like 1

In Harsin's 2 recruiting classes, he has only signed 3 OL recruits.  To put this in perspective, during the same timeframe, he signed 12 DL recruits.  3 OL vs 12 DL!!!!!  This makes me question...  Why didn't Harsin make the OL his top priority?  Why didn't Harsin sign any OL's from the transfer portal?  Why do we have an Alabama guy coaching our OL?  Is our OL coach secretly working for the enemy?  With numbers like that, it almost seems like it.  LOL!!!             

• Like 1

AU has had a ton of strong OL’s over the years until let’s say the last 4 or 5. This should be the MAIN focus of the next HC. The trenches keep you in games and are sometimes more important than even the QB play. See Bama under McCarron and McElroy. Serviceable QB’s but far from top tier talented QB’s. Even UGA, with Stetson. Improve the OL and things will get better on the O. Until that happens, it doesn’t matter who the coach is. Just my two cents worth. 

• Like 2

Pretty sure @Brad_ATXis the only one who proposed any option within the coaching staff’s capabilities: flex tape. Lots and lots of flex tape. Everything else requires a miracle one week in the making.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watch the OL a lot during the game uga could have rushed only two and still would have put pressure on Robby. I mean their were time times the uga DL was not even touched

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Some things you can't fix 

WTH is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Watch the OL a lot during the game uga could have rushed only two and still would have put pressure on Robby. I mean their were time times the uga DL was not even touched

WTH is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess he thought the “fall down sleeping OL throwback screen pass” was the play call.  Simple miscommunication.  We’ll get that cleaned up in practice.   Just watch.  

• Haha 1

I love the fact that he tagged Harsin and Friend on it. Not that they will care. Some of these clowns 🤡 aren’t worthy to wear the AU uniform. 

we're replacing players with NPCs with bad ai. That's what it resembles.

Tough to watch is right.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

This is every bit as bad as the 2020 performance. The 3-technique defender shaded on the RG’s right shoulder has his hand down, and the Edge outside of the RT in a 7-Tech is clearly indicating pass rush. The NT is shaded so far to the left of the center he is basically in a 2-Tech position, but facing the center. And our RG turns left to help the center, or to protect against an LB or safety blitz?

It makes zero sense. As the former NFL QB said in his video on AU’s OL’s 2020 performance against UGA, you have to account for every defender who has his hand on the ground or is otherwise strongly indicating Rush.

Edit: I just realized the NT was actually a linebacker and dropped into coverage. That left the LG, the C, and the RG blocking air.

Edited by meh130
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

We need to get an entirely new OL through the transfer portal during the off season.  No one needs to play next year.  Good thing for us, many will leave due to expired eligibility.  New coaching staff needs to start from scratch, not try to fix this.

3 minutes ago, meh130 said:

This is every bit as bad as the 2020 performance. The 3-technique defender shaded on the RG’s right shoulder has his hand down, and the Edge outside of the RT in a 7-Tech is clearly indicating pass rush. The NT is shaded so far to the left of the center he is basically in a 2-Tech position, but facing the center. And our RG turns left to help the center, or to protect against an LB or safety blitz?

It makes zero sense. As the former NFL QB said in his video on AU’s OL’s 2020 performance against UGA, you have to account for every defender who has his hand on the ground or is otherwise strongly indicating Rush.

What I was saying to. How do you ignore the man covering you up? Like there literally isn't anyone else.

• Like 2

Just now, roe4christ said:

We need to get an entirely new OL through the transfer portal during the off season.  No one needs to play next year.  Good thing for us, many will leave due to expired eligibility.  New coaching staff needs to start from scratch, not try to fix this.

There gonna have to. We only have like 5-6 coming back.

• Like 1