Who is your #1?

AUinMS9528

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Grimes doesn't have any experience at being a head coach. He's a decent number 2 but not a head coach. I wouldn't want him anywhere near this program as a head coach. He also may be selfish

Eh, I hate the "no HC experience" excuse.  Your argument could have easily been applied to Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart before they were hired at OU & UGA.

Find the best fit and coach available.  If that's a current assistant, so be it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree with majority of what you said but where is this coming from?

Just making random assumptions like everybody else

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Eh, I hate the "no HC experience" excuse.  Your argument could have easily been applied to Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart before they were hired at OU & UGA.

Find the best fit and coach available.  If that's a current assistant, so be it.

Just pointing out how it doesn't make sense to say it for one guy but it be fine for another

2 hours ago, autan said:

Jeff Grimes would have the biggest impact with our OL deficiencies.

Yes but can he lead a football team? I hear ya, that is the priority but I hope we truly are vetting these coaches exhaustively . Also , not picking on you. I feel the same way when people point to guys who main positive is solely recruiting .

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes but can he lead a football team? I hear ya, that is the priority but I hope we truly are vetting these coaches exhaustively . Also , not picking on you. I feel the same way when people point to guys who main positive is solely recruiting .

Most people think he is ready to take on a HC role. He's got about a decade of OC/co-OC experience on top of his SEC experience and Auburn familiarity.

• Thanks 1

Mark Stoops. Then Freeze as #2. What Stoops has done at Kentucky is incredible. He’s already a winner in the SEC and he’d be able to reel in much better talent here. 

I think he’s the safest bet for us. I think his floor would be an 8 win season every single year, and his ceiling could be national titles.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Most people think he is ready to take on a HC role. He's got about a decade of OC/co-OC experience on top of his SEC experience and Auburn familiarity.

He has an extensive knowledge experience and I think his Auburn familiarity puts him on Auburn’s shortlist.

I would agree with that. He is still #3 for me though 

Grimes was good at recruiting OL at Auburn. But, if hes the HC, does he stack up to Saban, Smart etc in the living room? He may be a perceived “safe” choice, but this program needs a jolt of more than just a solid guy. 

3 minutes ago, CR said:

Grimes was good at recruiting OL at Auburn. But, if hes the HC, does he stack up to Saban, Smart etc in the living room? He may be a perceived “safe” choice, but this program needs a jolt of more than just a solid guy. 

He is absolutely the safe, prototypical choice. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

He has an extensive knowledge experience and I think his Auburn familiarity puts him on Auburn’s shortlist.

I would agree with that. He is still #3 for me though 

He's be a typical auburn hire. Then we'd get our ass kicked playing with a bunch of 3 star guys and would be talking about how we'd be able to compete if we had the talent the good teams have

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

He is absolutely the safe, prototypical choice. 

Yeah, like Gus and Chizik. This program is mired in blahness with a bad roster. Its time to be willing to roll the dice(with the caveat he understands recruiting) and take a chance on hitting it big.

Edited by CR

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He's be a typical auburn hire. Then we'd get our ass kicked playing with a bunch of 3 star guys and would be talking about how we'd be able to compete if we had the talent the good teams have

Yep I consider him a very safe hire. Yes he knows the offensive line and he is credited with certain individual development but can he recruit ? Can he lead men ? Is he the guy that is able to handle this rebuild ? I have my reservations solely based on the other options ?

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep I consider him a very safe hire. Yes he knows the offensive line and he is credited with certain individual development but can he recruit ? Can he lead men ? Is he the guy that is able to handle this rebuild ? I have my reservations solely based on the other options ?

Can he recruit is an easy thing to research.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Grimes-18/AllTimeRecruits/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Can he recruit is an easy thing to research.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Grimes-18/AllTimeRecruits/

So why don’t you read my past post. That’s also an easy thing to do.  Majority of those are offensive linemen . I have no doubt he can recruit the line . I am talking as a whole to the program of Auburn, across the board. Thanks though smart ass.

Edited by DAG

Just now, DAG said:

So why don’t you read my past post. That’s also an easy thing to do.  Majority of those are offensive linemen . I have no doubt he can recruit the line . I am talking as a whole to the program of Auburn. Thanks though smart ass

Why are you such a damn baby?  The majority of his recruits are O lineman?  NO s***!  He's a long time O-line coach.  I wouldn't expect otherwise.

Want more on the guy?  Feel free to read what is being said about him nationally.  Seems as if BYU was ready to promote him before Sitaki stayed.  The Venables parrallel pointed out here is actually really strong.

https://www.si.com/college/baylor/football/bears-jeff-grimes-dave-aranda-head-coach-big-12-byu

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

So why don’t you read my past post. That’s also an easy thing to do.  Majority of those are offensive linemen . I have no doubt he can recruit the line . I am talking as a whole to the program of Auburn. Thanks though smart ass

It shows he can close.  HC are closers with regards to recruiting.  They are rarely the primary. He would hire those recruiters to fill his staff.

Was Chizik a good recruiter? He was okay, but his staff was dominant.

Would he recruit as well as Deion? No, no one would.  That said, he recruits better than everyone else mentioned and he has replicated that success everywhere he has been.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

He also may be selfish

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Just making random assumptions like everybody else

Man, I was dumfounded when I read the first post. Then laughed after the 2nd.

• Like 1