Who is your #1?

AUinMS9528

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Why are you such a damn baby?  The majority of his recruits are O lineman?  NO s***!  He's a long time O-line coach.  I wouldn't expect otherwise.

Want more on the guy?  Feel free to read what is being said about him nationally.  Seems as if BYU was ready to promote him before Sitaki stayed.  The Venables parrallel pointed out here is actually really strong.

https://www.si.com/college/baylor/football/bears-jeff-grimes-dave-aranda-head-coach-big-12-byu

That’s what I’ve been saying this whole time smartass. I know what he can do on the o-line. I don’t know if he can be the face of the whole dang program. What you showed me is he is an elite observer and recruiter of the offensive line. I’ve acknowledged that. You could’ve easily found that if you looked hard enough. That has never been my question about him. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It shows he can close.  HC are closers with regards to recruiting.  They are rarely the primary. He would hire those recruiters to fill his staff.

Was Chizik a good recruiter? He was okay, but his staff was dominant.

Would he recruit as well as Deion? No, no one would.  That said, he recruits better than everyone else mentioned and he has replicated that success everywhere he has been.

I would agree with all of that. Thanks for not being a smart ass.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

It was hard for him to not be but I think he was afraid. lol

Yes be very afraid . 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

I'm perpetually a smart ass.  It's against my nature not to be.

• Haha 1

Just now, bigbird said:

Scared of being a dumbass...

Lmao I am sorry big bird . Grimes is your guy but in comparison to the other two he just does not bring me excitement. However, I will say he wouldn’t be a bad hire at all. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s what I’ve been saying this whole time smartass. I know what he can do on the o-line. I don’t know if he can be the face of the whole dang program. What you showed me is he is an elite observer and recruiter of the offensive line. I’ve acknowledged that. You could’ve easily found that if you looked hard enough. That has never been my question about him. 

Not trying to get in the middle of this cat fight, but look at Sam Pittman.  He is the face of Arkansas.   Do you not think because you haven’t seen him lead, that he can’t do it?   I don’t know a thing about the guy.  I really don’t remember him at Auburn, I guess because there was another Grimes.   If Gus can be the face of the program, I believe there are plenty that could do the job

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not trying to get in the middle of this cat fight, but look at Sam Pittman.  He is the face of Arkansas.   Do you not think because you haven’t seen him lead, that he can’t do it?   I don’t know a thing about the guy.  I really don’t remember him at Auburn, I guess because there was another Grimes.   If Gus can be the face of the program, I believe there are plenty that could do the job

I think Sam Pittman is the right man for what Arkansas desires . I don’t think Sam Pittman will get them to the heights of Bobby Petrino. I hope you see the parallel of that. 

34 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Man, I was dumfounded when I read the first post. Then laughed after the 2nd.

There's always a method to my madness. So when many were saying this about Sanders I now have some of the same people saying no wait just because he doesn't have a bunch of experience means he can't coach. 

One of the reasons I miss my guy Loof so much. People don't know how often they were agreeing with me when he would post and me and him would laugh about it.

I do it with you sometimes to but you like to take all the credit and run 😡

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Mark Stoops. Then Freeze as #2. What Stoops has done at Kentucky is incredible. He’s already a winner in the SEC and he’d be able to reel in much better talent here. 

I think he’s the safest bet for us. I think his floor would be an 8 win season every single year, and his ceiling could be national titles.

I've gone back and forth, but I like Stoops. He's probably my favorite after Deion and maybe Lane. Stoops truly is the safest bet of all. 

After reading about Freeze's recent stupidity with the DM to the Liberty student, I just don't trust the guy. It would be one thing if it was a standalone event. But he should know better by now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

I've gone back and forth, but I like Stoops. He's probably my favorite after Deion and maybe Lane. Stoops truly is the safest bet of all. 

After reading about Freeze's recent stupidity with the DM to the Liberty student, I just don't trust the guy. It would be one thing if it was a standalone event. But he should know better by now. 

Unless Stoops is just pissed about that business with basketball school, I think he continues to build Kentucky.

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

I think me and you are seeing it the same way. One of my young guys are playing for him right now and he was really loving it. And it wasn't all about the school he kept bragging on the coach which if you knew him you'd really see that's pretty damn impressive

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think me and you are seeing it the same way. One of my young guys are playing for him right now and he was really loving it. And it wasn't all about the school he kept bragging on the coach which if you knew him you'd really see that's pretty damn impressive

I think we are too. Let's bring in a coach that will be respected and appreciated by the players and recruits and vice versa. Someone they can be excited about. That's a great place to start. 

Edited by cbo
  • Like 1

Honestly, from a recruiting and coaching position I think Freeze is the best option, but I don't think Auburn will take him. I get that he needs to have his phone taken away and put in a lock box. But I think a big school with NIL money combined with Freeze will do very well.

I think Freeze is better than Kiffin, but I do think Kiffin has a "splash" factor.

I think Aranda would be the next best choice.

I think Sanders has potential, but also some risk. I don't think Auburn is going to hire him. Sanders is an enigma. He has $93 million in lifetime earnings, but by some estimates his net worth is only $40 million. My guess is it is actually higher. I don't see Sanders having burned $53 million over the last 30 odd years. But that is the point with Sanders. He already has "FU" money. Sanders is looking for a mission, not a job.

I think Grimes would work very well. I think he is the offensive version of Aranda, back when Aranda was the hot coordinator everyone was projecting to be a head coach soon.

A thought about Stoops. Is he hungry? Does he want to go up a level, and work harder? That is a good question. He has a good thing going at UK. He is like Tubbs at Ole Miss right now.

So I guess my list is:

1st: Freeze

2nd: Aranda

Tied at 3rd: Kiffin/Grimes

4th: Sanders (High Risk/High Reward)

5th: Stoops

But the more I think of it, Grimes is the value play. He is a Cristobal at Oregon or Pittman at Arkansas type hire. Some school is going to hire him as a head coach and he will do well.

Edited by meh130

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

a smart ass is someone who can sit on an ice cream cone and tell you what flavor it is. grins..........just throwing a little laughter in here. i hope ya grinned.............

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lmao I am sorry big bird . Grimes is your guy but in comparison to the other two he just does not bring me excitement. However, I will say he wouldn’t be a bad hire at all. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Grimes but I would be equally thrilled with Deion.  Both have tremendous upsides and both would do a lot of great things here.  Both have strengths that the other doesn't. I really don't think either would be bad. I'd be ready to support either fully.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There's always a method to my madness. 

I do it with you sometimes to but you like to take all the credit and run 😡

There's always madness to my methods.

I don't necessarily take the credit, it's given. You get it too when I send you our PM notes and you take my stance. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Grimes but I would be equally thrilled with Deion.  Both have tremendous upsides and both would do a lot of great things here.  Both have strengths that the other doesn't. I really don't think either would be bad. I'd be ready to support either fully.

Hey I forgot to tell you this.....you're going to laugh because it really made me mad.

Anyway I was arguing with someone and they said to me something like you are wrong even bigbird said this!

Now If it's not about equality or something like that I usually don't get mad because I know what I know and if you don't like....whatever I don't care

But when they said the bird thing like I couldn't argue it because even you said it I was like bump you and bump bird too 😂😂😂😂 I legit got hot. Then when I thought about I could just imagine you laughing and I just thought to myself bird won again 😂

Edited by cole256
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There's always madness to my methods.

I don't necessarily take the credit, it's given. You get it too when I send you our PM notes and you take my stance. 😂

If one day you came on and said you were Cole the entire time at least 10 people head's would explode at the thought they were being nice and agreeing with me this entire time😂

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Honestly, from a recruiting and coaching position I think Freeze is the best option, but I don't think Auburn will take him. I get that he needs to have his phone taken away and put in a lock box. But I think a big school with NIL money combined with Freeze will do very well.

I think Freeze is better than Kiffin, but I do think Kiffin has a "splash" factor.

I think Aranda would be the next best choice.

I think Sanders has potential, but also some risk. I don't think Auburn is going to hire him. Sanders is an enigma. He has $93 million in lifetime earnings, but by some estimates his net worth is only $40 million. My guess is it is actually higher. I don't see Sanders having burned $53 million over the last 30 odd years. But that is the point with Sanders. He already has "FU" money. Sanders is looking for a mission, not a job.

I think Grimes would work very well. I think he is the offensive version of Aranda, back when Aranda was the hot coordinator everyone was projecting to be a head coach soon.

A thought about Stoops. Is he hungry? Does he want to go up a level, and work harder? That is a good question. He has a good thing going at UK. He is like Tubbs at Ole Miss right now.

So I guess my list is:

1st: Freeze

2nd: Aranda

Tied at 3rd: Kiffin/Grimes

4th: Sanders (High Risk/High Reward)

5th: Stoops

But the more I think of it, Grimes is the value play. He is a Cristobal at Oregon or Pittman at Arkansas type hire. Some school is going to hire him as a head coach and he will do well.

I predict you’re going to be very pleased come December.

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I posted this in the past but it was something that impressed me at the time.  Many years ago, when Grimes was the OL coach at AU I was attending Tiger Walk and positioned near the stadium entrance where the recruits were lined up and the players and coaches entered.  As Coach Grimes entered, he apparently recognized one of the OL recruits, immediately stopped, pushed his sunglasses up on his head (eye contact), shook hands and had a brief conversation.  You could tell the young man was impressed as was I.  I don't know how he would be as a head coach but he appears to know how to connect with players.  I have always liked him.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

All three of my guys would have my support until they don't.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

All three of my guys would have my support until they don't.

Exactly. Prove my faith right or wrong.