Rece Davis Should Be Fired from Game Day

ScotsAU

3 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I mean, if Auburn boosters ran with a fabricated story that could've destroyed a family, wouldn't that be disgraceful? 

I can be thrilled that he's gone and also not be happy with February at the same time. 

Yeah, headline was misleading, sounds like he's saying the firing was disgraceful/despicable, but he's talking about what may or may not have motivated the inquiry in February.

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Take Feb Inquiry out of it and his own field results and lack of recruiting were grounds ro fire him. Davis just wants to fan the flames. Pay him no mind

But yes, Rece doubles down and says "Did the best he could. They lost a bunch of double-digit leads, too, so he’s not without blame here, but I don’t think it had risen on the field to be the level of a fireable offense." Well, I'm glad Rece isn't our Athletic Director.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Harsin's fate at Auburn has nothing to do with boosters or, Auburn "culture".

Harsin failed miserably at all of his primary job functions.  Not one part of the Auburn football program was improving.  In every aspect we were in total decline.

I feel no ill will towards Harsin.  However, I feel no sympathy either.  He is walking away with more money than the entire history of earnings for many families in the state of Alabama.  He is taking that money without having done one single thing to improve Auburn football. 

Harsin will get $30 million for two years of doing a very poor job.  He is not a victim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I mean, if Auburn boosters ran with a fabricated story that could've destroyed a family, wouldn't that be disgraceful? 

I can be thrilled that he's gone and also not be happy with February at the same time. 

You are assuming it was a fabricated story.  Just because they didn’t fire him in February, doesn’t mean there was nothing to the implications.  The female involved in the story left the department soon there after.  Granted,  I probably would have too if all eyes were on me.  That’s the personal stuff. The accusations from former players and coaches were more damning and you didn’t need boosters to make that stuff up.  I want to get to the truth so we all know and don’t have to guess what happened.  

All that being said, I absolutely hate what his family has had to go through.  That part is the tough part.  If someone from the AD had not leaked, none of it would have been in the public purview. 

Edited by 3rdgeneration
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Harsin's fate at Auburn has nothing to do with boosters or, Auburn "culture".

I think much of Reeces point (with a few shock words) was more about - ok if he’s  a bad hire then man up and fire/pay him last Feb and skip the ridiculous circular firing squad, slow death of the past 8 months.  Further needlessly killed his rep (and our program). 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Auburn06 said:

He is actually right. Why would anyone want to coach at Auburn when they know if the boosters suddenly don't want you, they will create false stories to try to destroy your reputation & your family...

The thing is we don’t know what was founded or unfounded. It seems assumed it was a witch-hunt because he wasn’t fired . What was apparent we say change in how Harsin did something’s . If anything keeping that an investigation was going on could have been handled better. We probably want know what was discovered unless the gloves come off. 

I thought the Feb stuff was a really bad look. I don't know what all was true and not true but Auburn did Harsin no favors by the way that was handled. Davis is right that we should have just fired him then instead of wasting this year.

But what happened in Feb had zero to do with Harsin failing so miserably as AU head coach. If he won this season and recruiting stayed in the tank then yeah maybe you can point to the Feb stuff. But Harsin took and decent Auburn team and made them terrible. Thats on him....no boosters had anything to do with that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, e808 said:

The thing is we don’t know what was founded or unfounded. It seems assumed it was a witch-hunt because he wasn’t fired . What was apparent we say change in how Harsin did something’s . If anything keeping that an investigation was going on could have been handled better. We probably want know what was discovered unless the gloves come off. 

the truth is when you have players and employees beating on your door with complaints about the head coach you really have no choice but to investigate. when players hit the portal or coaches getting fired it is not a witch hunt. and at the end of the day is it against the law to be an assh*le? you cannot disrespect players this day and time.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I agree. I was in Harsin's corner after the February fiasco until March when he wasn't even trying to recruit or coach the team in a way that would lead to success on the field. I blame him 100% for the state of the program after he told us to "just watch". I know now he meant for us to watch how he was going to run the program into the ground because a few people believed and ran with a story that impugned his character. It turns out his character is not something to hang one's hat on because he did nothing to earn the outrageous money he was being paid. He should get nothing in a buyout because his termination was for cause. He did not do his job, period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never knew Rece went to bammer. Interesting tidbit of facts in this thread. I might have to look at him differently now! Although I don't typically tune into Game Day anyways. I think Harsin got every bit of a chance to prove himself on the football field. Last year, and this year even after the fiasco. Ultimately it was the on field production that was his down fall. Not the investigation, whether warranted or not.