The return of the I-Formation

RunInRed

Loving the I backfield. DC’s haven’t seen it and don’t know what to do.😅(still need to bring back tear a way jerseys though)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. 

Note to self. You can do EVERYTHING you want out of a two TE SET 12 or three TE SET 13.   Love me some Heath Evans.

Love me some Fred Beasley.   Mix WR/TE in different positions. hola!!

How about some Tommie Agee, Tony Richardson, or Reid McMillon?

• Like 1

I told my son a year or so ago that if LBers kept getting smaller some one was gonna bring back the I formation. To be fair, when Gus was at his best, he used a tight end or H back to motion into a semi I formation. The blocker just never got set or had his hand in the dirt.

9 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I told my son a year or so ago that if LBers kept getting smaller some one was gonna bring back the I formation. To be fair, when Gus was at his best, he used a tight end or H back to motion into a semi I formation. The blocker just never got set or had his hand in the dirt.

It was OK until every defense keyed on the tight end knowing the ball was sure to follow

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

It was OK until every defense keyed on the tight end knowing the ball was sure to follow

Not necessarily.  Malzahn runs a TON of split zone concepts.  His offensive downfall was when he decided not to recruit O Linemen.  2013, 2014, and 2017 were good years because they had some talented, and NASTY, O Linemen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

Utilizing counters and ISO can help with that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Utilizing counters and ISO can help with that.

No doubt. My comment was strictly based on how Gus used the TE/HB position while at Auburn 

• Like 2

I love it too, but enjoy it now because this may be the last time we see it here. Harsin/Bobo/Friend are all stuck in 2005. Lane and Freeze.... they are pretty much exclusively out of the gun. I don't think they even have fullbacks on the roster, or ever really go under center. Jeff Grimes does use it a bit though, lol

Love the "I" as well, but w/o a dominate OL, we'd struggle big time against better defenses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dabrasco said:

Or just loading the box on every AU first down because you knew the hurry up play was an A gap run. At least in Gus's offense.

I know I’m crazy for saying this and don’t know what I’m talking about but barring a complete disaster this weekend, what has this staff done that makes you think they can’t handle the big time?  I have a feeling Caddy could recruit at an elite level.  Friend and Schmed have looked great in their roles.  Kendall Simmons as far as I can tell has been good at Oline coach.  Give these guys an Oline, a Qb, and some depth and watch out.  I know it’s not as exciting as paying a suspect coach 10 mil over the next 10 years or giving a coach with multiple shady dealings in his past a 2nd chance but it’s crazy to even think like that right?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Give these guys an Oline, a Qb, and some depth and watch out. 

That's a big GIVE there...just need 6 solid Offensive players then solid backups, right?  Easy!

These coaches have been on the team for 2 years now and have been recruiting with below-average results.  I like the effort they have put in but it is (too little too late) with regard to recruiting and depth.

3 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

That's a big GIVE there...just need 6 solid Offensive players then solid backups, right?  Easy!

These coaches have been on the team for 2 years now and have been recruiting with below-average results.  I like the effort they have put in but it is (too little too late) with regard to recruiting and depth.

I don't think you can blame Harsin's awful recruiting on his assistants. At every school the "closer" is the head coach and Harsin earned a solid F in that department. There are guys visiting now who have always been interested in Auburn but wouldn't commit as long as Harsin was involved with the AU program.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't think you can blame Harsin's awful recruiting on his assistants. At every school the "closer" is the head coach and Harsin earned a solid F in that department. There are guys visiting now who have always been interested in Auburn but wouldn't commit as long as Harsin was involved with the AU program.

Yep.  That Texas A&M guest list tells you everything you need to know about the effort these guys are putting in.  It’s fair to say the previous staff sucked at recruiting but who was arguably the best recruiter on that staff?

20 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

Whoever the coach is will have to bring in at least 5-6 Olinemen from the portal.  Depending on how the coaches feel about Calzada, Holden, or if Robby can figure out the throwing part of Qb you’ll probably be getting at least 1 guy from the portal.  Defense will need the depth.  With the portal nothing is impossible.

10 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Whoever the coach is will have to bring in at least 5-6 Olinemen from the portal.  Depending on how the coaches feel about Calzada, Holden, or if Robby can figure out the throwing part of Qb you’ll probably be getting at least 1 guy from the portal.  Defense will need the depth.  With the portal nothing is impossible.

Nothing is impossible now-a-days, but to ask for a solid OL from transfers immediately is quite a stretch.  

You want to get back fast?  Make a splashy hire and get the kids interested in coming to AU again.  I like the heart these coaches have shown but the only way to move on from this Harsin disaster is to bring a new group in.  

And, I do think we should retain some of the staff (Caddie especially) and not scrap them all.