OL Avery Jones to AU!

PigskinPat

3 hours ago, toddc said:

BREAKING: Auburn lands East Carolina center transfer Avery Jones

30 minutes ago

Avery Jones was set to spend his final season at Illinois after transferring from East Carolina, instead he'll spend it at Auburn after announcing his commitment on Tuesday.

The center who started every game for the Pirates in 2022 has one year of eligibility remaining.

Originally a 4-star recruit in the Class of 2018, Jones started his career at North Carolina. Jones was rated as the No. 144 player and No. 4 guard by 247Sports. In the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Jones was the No. 285 player and the No. 13 guard.

Jones transferred to East Carolina and became a workhorse along the inside of the offensive line for the Pirates from 2020 onward.

Starting his ECU career as a guard in 2020, Jones started in eight of nine games. Jones moved to center ahead of the 2021 season and started in 11 of their 12 games, playing 874 snaps and earning a PFF grade of 59.6. In the 2022 season, Jones played every game at center, grading out with a mark of 63.2, but excelling as a pass blocker with a grade of 76.9. Jones led the team with 852 snaps this past offseason.

As a graduate transfer, Jones is listed by East Carolina at 6-foot-4, 290 pounds. Jones is the third transfer addition to Auburn's offensive line, joining former Western Kentucky tackle Gunner Britton and former Tulsa tackle Dillon Wade. It's an impressive haul for Jake Thornton and Hugh Freeze, restocking an offensive line room that was in desperate need of immediate help.

Overall, Jones marks transfer addition No. 10 for Auburn this portal cycle, with still plenty more needs to fill. That includes offensive line, as Auburn is still in pursuit of adding another guard and potentially another offensive tackle, too.

Entering the transfer portal on Dec. 8, Jones committed to Illinois a few days later on Dec. 12. Just over a month later, Jones now finds himself an Auburn commit. 

12COMMENTS

From the 2022 roster, Tate Johnson returns after starting the season at center before a season-ending injury. Johnson, along with incoming freshmen Connor Lew and Bradyn Joiner make up the current center room, with Jones now on the way.

Jones is originally from Havelock, North Carolina and graduated in December with a degree in communication. 

Auburn Undercover will continue to update this story.

2F4F37B4-C888-49F2-8D8A-4E1FC2812EAA.jpeg

I will always prefer Bluey, but at this point this gif sums up how I feel about recruiting. The success Freeze has had on the recruiting trail is truly mind-blowing. We are actually meeting every single need we have, and not just with bodies, but good quality recruits. I'm so excited for this upcoming season!

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I will always prefer Bluey, but at this point this gif sums up how I feel about recruiting. The success Freeze has had on the recruiting trail is truly mind-blowing. We are actually meeting every single need we have, and not just with bodies, but good quality recruits. I'm so excited for this upcoming season!

Bluey is going kablooey for high school recruits and the mind blowing is for transfers. Bluey is my favorite too but I was getting some pushback for some reason. So I just split the difference! 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

He was.  BB was really high on him

We have now flipped O-Linemen from Bret Bielema at Illinois and from Mario Cristobal at Miami, in just a matter of weeks. That's saying something because those 2 coaches always have strong O-Lines. WDE

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Yep he is bitter. 
So supposedly, this player showed up Sunday and his visit was kept on the down low because he was committed to Illinois. 

Remember when we won the National Title in 2010 and Cam left for the NFL and we went after Russell Wilson from NC State? It was between us and Wisconsin to get him. Bret Bielema was HC at Wisconsin and they had a stout O-Line. We had lost Ziemba after 2010 and others on our O-Line so Russell Wilson chose Wisconsin since their O-Line was better going into 2011. 

When Bielema was asked why Russell Wilson chose Wisconsin over Auburn, he said "Because he wants to win and he knew he could win here at Wisconsin." 

That was a very cocky reply by Bielema but also stupid because we literally had just won the National Title a month before that. I've never, ever liked Bielema and I laughed a little inside when he came to the SEC and got his ass handed to him most weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

When Bielema was asked why Russell Wilson chose Wisconsin over Auburn, he said "Because he wants to win and he knew he could win here at Wisconsin." 

I would be teed off if my coach didn’t say that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Remember when we won the National Title in 2010 and Cam left for the NFL and we went after Russell Wilson from NC State? It was between us and Wisconsin to get him. Bret Bielema was HC at Wisconsin and they had a stout O-Line. We had lost Ziemba after 2010 and others on our O-Line so Russell Wilson chose Wisconsin since their O-Line was better going into 2011. 

That was a very cocky reply by Bielema but also stupid because we literally had just won the National Title a month before that. I've never, ever liked Bielema and I laughed a little inside when he came to the SEC and got his ass handed to him most weeks. 

Dude, he had them put the story of how he meet his wife in the Arkansas Gameday program!!  SMH!!