Tide for Toomers / Designs

AU Lover

NEWS FLASH

We (BAMA) didn't kill anything! Some nut job did this act. I especially had nothing to do with it.

I think you were the ring leader. :rolleyes:

:poke:

NOTE: For any who would take that as fact - it was a joke. That's why these :rolleyes:

:poke: were posted.

Just don't divulge the secret combination (28-27-14-0). Oops. :big:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evidently I'm in the minority but who cares if an alabama group wants to raise money to help the Toomer's effort?

If you're in the minority (and I'm not sure you are), you definitely are not alone. I'm there right with you.

Long before anybody had ever heard of Harvey Updyke, he or someone exactly like him in every way was the exact image in my mind of what an alabama fan was. He's the epitome of the entire bammer nation.

Evidently I'm in the minority but who cares if an alabama group wants to raise money to help the Toomer's effort?

Me!!!!! Have you read some of the stuff on bama boards such as the link I posted from RollTidebama.com

Hi there. Yes, I'm the "self-proclaimed Auburn fan." I've been a fan since I was a kid...in a UGA household. When I was 5 years old, I wrote on a piece of paper that I wanted to go to Auburn University to be a Design Engineer. I lived the dream, and attended Auburn from 1998-2002. I graduated with a degree in Industrial Design and things came full circle. Since that time, I've been a mentor to young AU design students and represented my University as a leading professional in my field. Now, I'm a dad of a 2 year old little girl who knows that the AU logo is "Auburn", loves Aubie, and says "War Eagle" at the drop of a hat. On Thursday evening, after listening to sports talk in Birmingham all day and watching all the events of the Toomer's incident unfold, I was inspired to create a design that I could share with some friends as my own personal tribute. That design went viral and things went crazy from there. As a good Alum who's heart is right, I decided that all the hype about the designs could be put to good use if used for raising money to preserve our Toomer's tradtion. How amazing would it be to play a role in giving back to my alma mater for such a great cause. And so I contacted the University to show my designs, share my wishes and make sure this was handled properly in regards to licensing and fund raising. I still haven't heard back from them yet, but hope to by tomorrow

But back to Friday. While my designs were going viral, there was a bigger Facebook phenomenon growing. That was the Tide for Toomer's group, who in such a short amount of time has already raised almost $40K for our school as a sign of solidarity. In all the craziness of Friday, I was asked by a contributor if I had an Alabama version. I kept track of how the group was doing and decided that I would do my own part to support their cause by creating a modified version of my original Auburn Toomer's Oaks graphic. I chose to use the "A" as part of a tagline "Rise Above," which is exactly what that group and all the contributors were doing. At such an ugly time, and where our rivalry seemed to be headed to a dark place, the Alabama fans united to stand beside us instead of against us.

I say all of this to ask those to stand with me and that group. If your brother holds out his hand in a time in need, do you slap it away? We Auburn fans are better than that...at least I expect us to. Is my design really offensive now that you know the story? Is it still okay to question my loyalty to Auburn? I challenge you to search down deep, because a true Auburn man or woman lives by the Auburn Creed. This is bigger than the rivalry, and I hope if not now, someday you will have a change of heart. There, I've said my peace. The rest is up to you.

That's about like putting a muslim symbol on the American Flag because a small group raised a few thousand dollars to rebuild the World Trade Center towers.

Let's face it we are all humans no matter what football team we love. That runs a little bit deeper that school colors don;t you think? I love you all! :)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. :poke:

I'll take that as a you love me a little bit. It's cool it will be our secret! SSSHHH! :big:

Let's face it we are all humans no matter what football team we love. That runs a little bit deeper that school colors don;t you think? I love you all! :)

I'll take that as a you love me a little bit. It's cool it will be our secret! SSSHHH! :big:

For a bamzo, you're alright, Rev. :thumbsup:

Now let me get back to stewing and being aggravated.

For a bamzo, you're alright, Rev. :thumbsup:

Now let me get back to stewing and being aggravated.

HAHAHA! I was just thinking someone was going to get mad because I was trying to pump some sunshine into this thread. Ok back to the HATE!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! :moon:

I appreciate the gesture of TfT and love these designs. I do not blame a whole group for a nutcase's actions. And I know there are more out there who support him, but the same would be true if the tide were turned, so to speak.

Stop being so dang nasty.

Be gracious.

Try showing the low-lifes how much better than them that we are. Otherwise, they got what they wanted. They won. Sucker.

In your case. Not mine.

Expanding on my position (and points already raised by others)...

I think we all ought to strive to overcome the nastiness of the rivalry.

To me, TfT appears to be a genuine effort by decent alabama fans who are putting their money where there mouth is in condemning a hateful act.

So, I conclude that alabama fans trying to raise money for the cause -- especially since it appears to be AU approved (i.e., all the money will be going to the AU-controlled fund that has been established) -- is a good thing.

Just my two cents.

Why do you and others keep saying this is an effort by bama fans. It is NOT only bama fans. At least one of the "founders" is an Auburn fan and a lot of the pledges are from Auburn people. I don't know what the breakdown in pledges between Auburn and bama fans is. Do you?

Long before anybody had ever heard of Harvey Updyke, he or someone exactly like him in every way was the exact image in my mind of what an alabama fan was. He's the epitome of the entire bammer nation.

Yes!!

Hi there. Yes, I'm the "self-proclaimed Auburn fan." I've been a fan since I was a kid...in a UGA household. When I was 5 years old, I wrote on a piece of paper that I wanted to go to Auburn University to be a Design Engineer. I lived the dream, and attended Auburn from 1998-2002. I graduated with a degree in Industrial Design and things came full circle. Since that time, I've been a mentor to young AU design students and represented my University as a leading professional in my field. Now, I'm a dad of a 2 year old little girl who knows that the AU logo is "Auburn", loves Aubie, and says "War Eagle" at the drop of a hat. On Thursday evening, after listening to sports talk in Birmingham all day and watching all the events of the Toomer's incident unfold, I was inspired to create a design that I could share with some friends as my own personal tribute. That design went viral and things went crazy from there. As a good Alum who's heart is right, I decided that all the hype about the designs could be put to good use if used for raising money to preserve our Toomer's tradtion. How amazing would it be to play a role in giving back to my alma mater for such a great cause. And so I contacted the University to show my designs, share my wishes and make sure this was handled properly in regards to licensing and fund raising. I still haven't heard back from them yet, but hope to by tomorrow

But back to Friday. While my designs were going viral, there was a bigger Facebook phenomenon growing. That was the Tide for Toomer's group, who in such a short amount of time has already raised almost $40K for our school as a sign of solidarity. In all the craziness of Friday, I was asked by a contributor if I had an Alabama version. I kept track of how the group was doing and decided that I would do my own part to support their cause by creating a modified version of my original Auburn Toomer's Oaks graphic. I chose to use the "A" as part of a tagline "Rise Above," which is exactly what that group and all the contributors were doing. At such an ugly time, and where our rivalry seemed to be headed to a dark place, the Alabama fans united to stand beside us instead of against us.

I say all of this to ask those to stand with me and that group. If your brother holds out his hand in a time in need, do you slap it away? We Auburn fans are better than that...at least I expect us to. Is my design really offensive now that you know the story? Is it still okay to question my loyalty to Auburn? I challenge you to search down deep, because a true Auburn man or woman lives by the Auburn Creed. This is bigger than the rivalry, and I hope if not now, someday you will have a change of heart. There, I've said my peace. The rest is up to you.

That's about like putting a muslim symbol on the American Flag because a small group raised a few thousand dollars to rebuild the World Trade Center towers.

That's just dumb.

Let's face it we are all humans no matter what football team we love. That runs a little bit deeper that school colors don;t you think?

Thats what I love about folks on the wrong side of events like this. " hey , everyone has fans like these .. " no, not everyone. The more you try to gloss over this as an exclusively alabama problem, the more you try to equivocate imaginary injustices done to bama , and say .. " Oh, this is just some silly matter, and both schools are exactly equal, no worse, no better than each other " , the more you believe that lie, and the less you give a damn about anyone else. All you're doing now is trying to white wash over his, as quickly and best you can, so you don't have to feel bad about yourself or your fanbase.

Well, guess what you SHOULD feel bad. And this stigma on Alabama is going to last a very long time.

I'm not going to let you hate me Raptor. :thumbsup:

I donated....

Not being cute but I'm curious.....did you donate or pledge? Who is accepting the money and who at Auburn will it be given to?

I donated....

Not being cute but I'm curious.....did you donate or pledge? Who is accepting the money and who at Auburn will it be given to?

I honestly could not tell you. I donated and paid via paypal. I didn't do much research since I heard that the Auburn University had ask for a repost of this or is in some way involved.

I donated....

I honestly could not tell you. I donated and paid via paypal. I didn't do much research since I heard that the Auburn University had ask for a repost of this or is in some way involved.

Hmmmm, could I interest you in a few acres of land I own. It's in the flood plain but other than that it's a great piece of property.

I appreciate the gesture of TfT and love these designs. I do not blame a whole group for a nutcase's actions. And I know there are more out there who support him, but the same would be true if the tide were turned, so to speak.

That you'd even say that, to me, proves that you're not an Auburn person.

Stop being so dang nasty.

Be gracious.

Gracious for what ? I've every RIGHT to be nasty. 2 130 yr old tree were killed because of Alabama's jealousy and hatred of Auburn. What next... The Grove at Ole Miss ? Another UGA "mysteriously" dies ? Exactly what line is it that bama fans won't cross ? Hell, bricks through the coaches window... remember when THAT was considered too much ? Just a day in the life for a bama fan, huh ?

Try showing the low-lifes how much better than them that we are. Otherwise, they got what they wanted. They won. Sucker.

In your case. Not mine.

The 'sucker' is anyone who thinks bama fans are in the least bit remorseful or upset over this. There's every indication that such sentiments as T4T is nothing more than a PR job for bama to try to rescue its heavily damaged reputation. I can go on and on , with examples of bama fans happy this happened, but no amount of evidence is enough to show you the light.

I donated....

Hmmmm, could I interest you in a few acres of land I own. It's in the flood plain but other than that it's a great piece of property.

Yea I know, I know. But as public as this is you can bet that the money will go to where it is supposed to go. Not only that Paypal is VERY strict when it comes to Donation accounts like the one that is set up. I had to jump through hoops when I set one up to raise money for kids at Christmas through a website I own. Had to send in back account info, Not for profit numbers and proof, etc..

I donated....

Yea I know, I know. But as public as this is you can bet that the money will go to where it is supposed to go. Not only that Paypal is VERY strict when it comes to Donation accounts like the one that is set up. I had to jump through hoops when I set one up to raise money for kids at Christmas through a website I own. Had to send in back account info, Not for profit numbers and proof, etc..

I hope the IRS swoops in and confiscates all the money. I for one don't want it.

Archived