I think this is where the hatred started for espn......

kevon67

Say what you will, but I have and will always have a tremendous amount of respect for CTT.  After 2003 and Jetgate, and how he continued on, you can't help but respect that.  He was treated HORRIBLY by our BOT, they should be ashamed.  

I think he made a TERRIBLE decision in hiring that offensive coordinator whose name I have chosen to forget, and also keeping his "good ole boys" around when some should have been ousted, but CTT did a lot for Auburn, and for that I am appreciative.  

He sure was a heckuva lot better than Bowden that is for darned sure.  I think he brought the respectability back to Auburn that Bowden completely erased.  

BSPN can go jump in a lake as far as I am concerned.  

Remember Tuberville worked a year with ESPN.

First time I saw the hatered was when we dropped hte FSU game in 2000ish.

Auburn2049.jpg

Very true.

I will always be thankful to Tommy for what he did here, but that does not mean what happened was the wrong thing for Auburn Football either.

Amen brother ! Tubs did plenty well, but he "earned" being shown the door. Jetgate was classless and brought Tubs support he did not earn, but came to him based on the Auburn Creed and not because the fan base thought he should be retained. Again, appreciate the positives but Auburn and Tubs both needed to part.

War Eagle !

Say what you will, but I have and will always have a tremendous amount of respect for CTT.  After 2003 and Jetgate, and how he continued on, you can't help but respect that.  He was treated HORRIBLY by our BOT, they should be ashamed.  

I think he made a TERRIBLE decision in hiring that offensive coordinator whose name I have chosen to forget, and also keeping his "good ole boys" around when some should have been ousted, but CTT did a lot for Auburn, and for that I am appreciative.  

He sure was a heckuva lot better than Bowden that is for darned sure.  I think he brought the respectability back to Auburn that Bowden completely erased.  

No need in rehashing all this again, but maybe -- just maybe -- the "good ol' boys" were the only ones Tuberville thought he could trust. 

When did Jay Jay decide to hire Gene as head coach?  "The day he left for Texas."  The day he left for Texas, Auburn had just completed a perfect season, was a media favorite, had the national Coach of the Year, was about to have four players in the first round drafted and owned the state of Alabama.  Why would you mentally be making a change at that point?  Blame Tuberville all you want, but when the administration -- led by "The day he left for Texas" Jacobs -- turned its collective back on Tuberville, the program was destined to suffer.  And it did as TT grew disillusioned and then finally made a fatal mistake in hiring a snake oil salesman named Tony in a too little too late effort to revitalize the program.  The decision was right (see Chizik's hire of Malzahn) but the execution was wrong. 

We had 12 years under Tuberville where the only hint of scandal was the NYT trumped up sociology story.  They were mostly good years.  I won't be disparaging Tommy any time soon.

No need in rehashing all this again, but maybe -- just maybe -- the "good ol' boys" were the only ones Tuberville thought he could trust. 

When did Jay Jay decide to hire Gene as head coach?  "The day he left for Texas."   The day he left for Texas, Auburn had just completed a perfect season, was a media favorite, had the national Coach of the Year, was about to have four players in the first round drafted and owned the state of Alabama.  Why would you mentally be making a change at that point?  Blame Tuberville all you want, but when the administration -- led by "The day he left for Texas" Jacobs -- turned its collective back on Tuberville, the program was destined to suffer.  And it did as TT grew disillusioned and then finally made a fatal mistake in hiring a snake oil salesman named Tony in a too little too late effort to revitalize the program.  The decision was right (see Chizik's hire of Malzahn) but the execution was wrong. 

We had 12 years under Tuberville where the only hint of scandal was the NYT trumped up sociology story.  They were mostly good years.  I won't be disparaging Tommy any time soon.

I won't disparage him but, come on how does someone making millions of dollars become delusioned?  Why all the duck hunting instead of recruiting players who could actually get in to school?  Why all the stringing us along on contract extensions?  Tubbs had a chance to lock up the sec west after 2004 and he failed to do it.  He allowed his product on the field to steadily decline.  He was fired due to his lack of performance.  If he hated the powers that be so much then quit and go somewhere else.  Don't take our money while slowly killing us from the inside. 

Auburn didn't start to get "hated" by ESPN when this happened.  They have disrespected us for a longggg time before the Tub situation.  I've heard from older Auburn fans that there was some kind of altercation/problem with lee corso and Auburn.  I don't know all the facts or what exactly happened, just remember something about it.

When did Jay Jay decide to hire Gene as head coach?  "The day he left for Texas."   The day he left for Texas, Auburn had just completed a perfect season, was a media favorite, had the national Coach of the Year, was about to have four players in the first round drafted and owned the state of Alabama.  Why would you mentally be making a change at that point?  Blame Tuberville all you want, but when the administration -- led by "The day he left for Texas" Jacobs -- turned its collective back on Tuberville, the program was destined to suffer.  And it did as TT grew disillusioned and then finally made a fatal mistake in hiring a snake oil salesman named Tony in a too little too late effort to revitalize the program.  The decision was right (see Chizik's hire of Malzahn) but the execution was wrong. 

I won't disparage him but, come on how does someone making millions of dollars become delusioned?  Why all the duck hunting instead of recruiting players who could actually get in to school?  Why all the stringing us along on contract extensions?  Tubbs had a chance to lock up the sec west after 2004 and he failed to do it.  He allowed his product on the field to steadily decline.  He was fired due to his lack of performance.  If he hated the powers that be so much then quit and go somewhere else.  Don't take our money while slowly killing us from the inside. 

Money isn't always the answer.  When you're making that kind of scratch, it hardly ever is.  People at that level don't really care that much about money.  You ever had a job where your boss was out to get you?  Where he gave you no support and essentially isolated you? 

If the AU administration had backed Tuberville in 2004-05 the way the hated Bama administration fell in line behind Saban... 

Ahhhh.... it's not worth it. 

You're right.  He was fired.  He sucked.  He was killing us.  The fact that he had zero support from anybody in charge, the fact that he constantly (and rightfully) had to look over his shoulder every single day was not a factor at all.  He just went hunting and didn't recruit Kodi Burns, Lee Ziemba, Byron Isom, Wes Byrum,  Josh Bynes, Zac, Mario, Mike Berry, T-Zach, Demond, Eric Smith, Darvin, Neiko, Nick Fairley...  They all just came on their own.

This is a pointless discussion. Think whatever you want.

Money isn't always the answer.  When you're making that kind of scratch, it hardly ever is.  People at that level don't really care that much about money.  You ever had a job where your boss was out to get you?  Where he gave you no support and essentially isolated you? 

If the AU administration had backed Tuberville in 2004-05 the way the hated Bama administration fell in line behind Saban... 

Ahhhh.... it's not worth it.   

You're right.  He was fired.  He sucked.  He was killing us.  The fact that he had zero support from anybody in charge, the fact that he constantly (and rightfully) had to look over his shoulder every single day was not a factor at all.  He just went hunting and didn't recruit Kodi Burns, Lee Ziemba, Byron Isom, Wes Byrum,  Josh Bynes, Zac, Mario, Mike Berry, T-Zach, Demond, Eric Smith, Darvin, Neiko, Nick Fairley...  They all just came on their own.

This is a pointless discussion. Think whatever you want.

I will think what I want look back at the classes huge chunks of those who signed aren't here to help now.  He had been at auburn for several years by 2004-05 he knew nobody was going to hand over complete control to him like the bammers did saban.  I for one don't want them to do that.  So I guess if your boss undermines you and you are miserable you should stay in that job being paid millions of dollars and whine about being undermined come on.  Constantly, looking over his shoulder excuse is garbage if he had continued to win he would have been fine.  But he didn't he went downhill and was a jerk in the process.  You named 14 players who you give tubbs complete credit for.  Before, chizik and trooper taylor our wrs could not catch the ball if it hit them in the face.  Our offense was anemic and byrum had just had the worst year of his career.  If you took the olineman you listed two years ago for tubbs and look at our production nobody would have taken that.  Kodi when he played in place of cox didn't look like he even knew the plays and had been so hampered on his development for two years from lack of coaching.  We went with chris todd at qb instead.  I know I will not change your mind, but I also won't allow tubbs to go blameless in the position we found ourselves in two years ago.  By the way if you find a job that you are being undermined by your boss that pays millions per year and you find you can't handle it just let somebody else know it will filled before your office chair is cold.

I will think what I want look back at the classes huge chunks of those who signed aren't here to help now.  He had been at auburn for several years by 2004-05 he knew nobody was going to hand over complete control to him like the bammers did saban.  I for one don't want them to do that.  So I guess if your boss undermines you and you are miserable you should stay in that job being paid millions of dollars and whine about being undermined come on.  Constantly, looking over his shoulder excuse is garbage if he had continued to win he would have been fine.  But he didn't he went downhill and was a jerk in the process.  You named 14 players who you give tubbs complete credit for.  Before, chizik and trooper taylor our wrs could not catch the ball if it hit them in the face.  Our offense was anemic and byrum had just had the worst year of his career.  If you took the olineman you listed two years ago for tubbs and look at our production nobody would have taken that.  Kodi when he played in place of cox didn't look like he even knew the plays and had been so hampered on his development for two years from lack of coaching.  We went with chris todd at qb instead.  I know I will not change your mind, but I also won't allow tubbs to go blameless in the position we found ourselves in two years ago.  By the way if you find a job that you are being undermined by your boss that pays millions per year and you find you can't handle it just let somebody else know it will filled before your office chair is cold.

This discussion is over. 

It doesn't matter anyway, your memory appears to be so short you'll forget it happened by tomorrow. 

I will think what I want look back at the classes huge chunks of those who signed aren't here to help now. He had been at auburn for several years by 2004-05 he knew nobody was going to hand over complete control to him like the bammers did saban. I for one don't want them to do that. So I guess if your boss undermines you and you are miserable you should stay in that job being paid millions of dollars and whine about being undermined come on. Constantly, looking over his shoulder excuse is garbage if he had continued to win he would have been fine. But he didn't he went downhill and was a jerk in the process. You named 14 players who you give tubbs complete credit for. Before, chizik and trooper taylor our wrs could not catch the ball if it hit them in the face. Our offense was anemic and byrum had just had the worst year of his career. If you took the olineman you listed two years ago for tubbs and look at our production nobody would have taken that. Kodi when he played in place of cox didn't look like he even knew the plays and had been so hampered on his development for two years from lack of coaching. We went with chris todd at qb instead. I know I will not change your mind, but I also won't allow tubbs to go blameless in the position we found ourselves in two years ago. By the way if you find a job that you are being undermined by your boss that pays millions per year and you find you can't handle it just let somebody else know it will filled before your office chair is cold.

This discussion is over.

It doesn't matter anyway, your memory appears to be so short you'll forget it happened by tomorrow.

Doubt it, Tubbs is that you?  I didn't know they had the internet out there in lubbock.  But, when you can't win go to the insult always a good fall back position.

Just to make a point.

I don't think JJ was looking to get rid of TT the day Chizik left for Texas.  I think that comment was meant to convey that JJ always held Chizik in high regard.  Perhaps in the back of his mind he had the thought, what a great head coach he would be. 

Just my impression. 

Just to make a point.

I don't think JJ was looking to get rid of TT the day Chizik left for Texas.  I think that comment was meant to convey that JJ always held Chizik in high regard.   Perhaps in the back of his mind he had the thought, what a great head coach he would be. 

Just my impression. 

Won't discount that possibility.  Not the way it was phrased, but it's possible. 

Still hard to deny that Tub never had administrative support.  He wasn't Jay's guy.  Was never going to be. 

Blame cuts both ways. 

I just have a real problem with people dumping on Tuberville.  I named 14 guys.  All are starters on this team.  That means that only eight or nine AT MAX aren't Tuberville's guys.  I left off a few I'm sure because I was running from memory.  70 - 75% of this team consists of players recruited by Tubs.

The guy had us competitive every year but two (his first and last) and we stayed out of trouble.  Never even a whiff of it.  You knew with Tuberville that every three years or so you were going to have a pretty special team and that for the most part, the ones in between would do a lot of good things. 

It was best for him to leave when he did.  Best for him, best for AU.  That doesn't mean anybody should raise a leg and whizz all over his AU legacy.  It's my opinion that we sound like the ungrateful Bama horde when we do so.  And that offends me.

Just to make a point.

I don't think JJ was looking to get rid of TT the day Chizik left for Texas.  I think that comment was meant to convey that JJ always held Chizik in high regard.   Perhaps in the back of his mind he had the thought, what a great head coach he would be. 

Just my impression. 

Won't discount that possibility.  Not the way it was phrased, but it's possible. 

Still hard to deny that Tub never had administrative support.  He wasn't Jay's guy.  Was never going to be. 

Blame cuts both ways. 

I just have a real problem with people dumping on Tuberville. 

The guy had us competitive every year but two (his first and last) and we stayed out of trouble.  Never even a whiff of it.  You knew with Tuberville that every three years or so you were going to have a pretty special team and that for the most part, the ones in between would do a lot of good things. 

It was best for him to leave when he did.  Best for him, best for AU.  That doesn't mean anybody should raise a leg and whizz all over his AU legacy.  It's my opinion that we sound like the ungrateful Bama horde when we do so.  And that offends me.

No problem with that galen I just happen to hold the opposite feeling that people who seem to hold tubbs out as a woe is me character.  Who was only doing the best for AU but the evil lowder and Ad wouldn't let him bothers me the same way the opposite bothers you.  Sorry if I came off as a jerk before I just got into it too much. :we:

Just to make a point.

Just my impression. 

Blame cuts both ways. 

I just have a real problem with people dumping on Tuberville. 

No problem with that galen I just happen to hold the opposite feeling that people who seem to hold tubbs out as a woe is me character.  Who was only doing the best for AU but the evil lowder and Ad wouldn't let him bothers me the same way the opposite bothers you.  Sorry if I came off as a jerk before I just got into it too much. :we:

Meh.  No big. 

There's blame on both sides.  Tubs grew distant and got himself into a situation he couldn't get out of.  Not sure he knew how to get out of it.  I would really like to have seen one of his defenses -- and you've got to admit we never had a really bad one under him -- with this type of offense.  He tried to go that direction with Franklin, but just picked the wrong horse.  Franklin was an idiot.  Once he hired that clown, it was effectively over for Tuberville.

I don't blame him for losing his intensity in a way.  As a boss, I see it from my employees, particularly when I've decided they're expendable and am just waiting for the right time to make the change.  Yeah, that's a horrible thing to admit but it's true.  Nine times out of ten the employee on the bubble will go into the tank rather than improve the performance.  I don't know why, really.  It's like they decide it's inevitable and just have no more motivation.  Just waiting out the days until they get canned.  Maybe that's how it was for him. 

I just can't agree that he was on the verge of ruining the program.  He would have come around.  Maybe he'd have hired Malzhan?

Tubs was a good coach, but not a great one. He had 1 great season and the rest were average. He had raised a lot of good players over the years, but our goal right now should be to win a national championship. Gene Chizik could achieve in 2 years what Tubs couldnt in his entire tenure. I know, we got screwed in 2004, but when we were primed for a good run we were let down. (2008 & 2006).

Like i said, i appreciated him but we have to aim higher.

ESPN can jog on. It was our decision to fire him, and what a decision it was.

Sort of reinventing history here.  We didn't fire him (even though many wanted to), but one of our trustees did effectively breach our contract with him, allowing him to walk out with his buyout in hand.  Hard to hate the coach of the 2004 season.  But coaches who aren't aggressive recruiters won't survive, and thankfully this staff lives and dies by recruiting.

The hate started before that. It actually started when Tubbs lobbied for the chance to play in the BCS championship game. When Dr Lou popped off Tubbs was quoted in the media as saying "Whats he done ? He never was competitive in the SEC ?" After that , it was on....Lou bragged about his N.C. ring and so forth ON THE AIR !!! Basicly he told Tubbs if he didn't have on of these to zip it. Then Tubss fired back...It was ugly.

And Lou hasn't forgotten it.

Archived