Rather taking a ratings beating now.

DKW 86

Link

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX THU SEPT 16, 2004 11:42:09 ET XXXXX

CBS CONCERN OVER VIEWERSHIP PLUNGE; RATHER RATINGS FADE IN MAJOR MARKETS

CBS executives on both coasts have become concerned in recent days that Dan Rather's EVENING NEWS broadcast has plunged in the ratings since the anchor presented questionable documents about Bush's National Guard service.

NIELSEN numbers released this week show Rather fading and trailing his rivals in every Top 10 city, other than San Francisco, with audience margins in some cities running more than 6 to 1 against CBS!

Executives fear many voters inclined to vote for Bush are now switching off Rather.

"The audience appears to [be] polarized," a top CBS source said from LOS ANGELES on Thursday. "Rightly or wrongly, we're being perceived as 'anti-Bush,' which I do not think is fair to Dan, who is a fine journalist... of course we do not like to see the ratings coming back the way they are this week."

In Philadelphia, the nation's #4 market, Rather pulled a 2.6 rating/5 share on Tuesday night against ABC's 13.3 rating/23 share and NBC's 4.0/7.

In Chicago, Rather hit a 2.3/5 to ABC's 9.2/20.

CBS trailed ABC by more than 2 to 1 in Los Angeles.

And in the nation's top market, New York, Rather finished not only behind NBC NIGHTLY NEWS and ABC WORLD NEWS TONIGHT -- but also pulled less audience than reruns of the SIMPSONS, WILL & GRACE and KING OF QUEENS.

Rather finished dead last in New York during the 6:30 pm timeslot among all broadcast channels tracked by NIELSEN on Tuesday.

"Rightly or wrongly, we're being perceived as 'anti-Bush,' which I do not think is fair to Dan, who is a fine journalist

What planet is this dude from?! Rather has a 30+ year history of making a partisan ass out of himself.

Now, he says he wants to "break the story" on the documents: Link

"If the documents are not what we were led to believe, I'd like to break that story," Rather said in an interview last night. "Any time I'm wrong, I want to be right out front and say, 'Folks, this is what went wrong and how it went wrong.' "

Gawd. This is beyond awful. If he truly believes that plus if he thinks any viewer is going to believe it, he's lost his mind. He's probably thinking WWCD (what would clinton do?) and hoping he can bluff his way out. Either way, he's finished. He's lame. CBS should realize there's nothing left to do but put their old war horse out of it's misery with a single shot. BLAM! :o

How old is Rather biased Dan now? Well into his 70's and getting senile, I believe.

I hope that CBS takes this opportunity to put him out to pasture and find a younger and less biased replacement. Maybe the success of Fox, with their impartial take on the news will influence CBS to stop allowing their newsreaders to feed their bias to us.

THe thing is...they've spent the last week telling people how STUPID they are for doubting dan and ole cbs.

Now that they HAVE to look into it...they want people to be receptive?

Whatever! You are only doing your research now because your little smear campagin didnt work

Archived