TOP 10 COACHES ON 'HOT SEAT' HEADED INTO 2011 SEASON

auburn4ever

If we are strictly talking SEC then I would rank it:

1. Mark Richt

2. Houston Nutt

...the list gets fairly big when you look nationally though.

Guest WarDamnSoule

I think Richt and Houston Nutt are feeling the heat in the SEC but I am absolutely flabbergasted as to how Ron Zook has managed to hold on to the Illinois job for this long, especially after last year. There are a few other people who'll be looking over their shoulder but the Zooker's seat should definitely be the hottest this year.

Yeah -- agree on Richt and Nutt.  I actually wonder how much time they'll give Muschamp at Florida if they struggle this season. Ditto Dooley at Tennessee.

I'm not advocating that either should be put on the hot seat; just feel like those fan bases are ... fickle.

I'm not advocating that either should be put on the hot seat; just feel like those fan bases are ... fickle.

In the SEC, excluding Vandy, I believe the same can be said about every fanbase to an extent. Yes this even includes us.

In the SEC, excluding Vandy, I believe the same can be said about every fanbase to an extent. Yes this even includes us.

Hmmm ... well, I agree with you, to an extent. However, I do think Auburn fans are renowned for supporting the team no matter what. Not quite sure how to put this without sounding like I think Auburn fans are special -- oh, wait: I do think we're special -- but other teams' fanbases have a higher degree of fickleness, fairweatheriety, however you want to say it, than Auburn.

Tennessee fans are some of the worst in this regard, in my experience. UGA not so much -- they are bad for other reasons.  :laugh: Ole Miss fans, though, are like Auburn fans in their loyalty to the team. The difference is that they don't expect to win as much as Auburn fans do.

Just my opinions, based on my experiences. I'm often proved wrong. Not too long ago, I would've said there was a high degree of mutual respect between Auburn and UGA fans. But now, I think that has turned into one of the nastier rivalries in the SEC.  :dunno:

I seem to remember some AU fans putting Ted Roof on the hot seat early in the 2010 season.... ;)

I think all fan bases are fickle to some extent.

Who's says he's off it?  :laugh:;)

:laugh:

3. Butch Davis  doesnt help that his team is headed to probation....

4. Dabo Sweeny Miami, FSU should be better and USCe should whip them...

5. Paul Johnson

6.  Les Miles - I think LSU will be pretty good next year, but I don't think they will win the West.  That would be at least 4 years in a row and counting.  For Auburn's sake I hope Les stays at LSU for a long time with 9 win seasons but no championships.

Probably not top ten but I would put Mack Brown on the watch list.  Coaches leaving and a poor result of the last season may make him a target if he should repeat the poor results of this past season....

I agree with Zook for sure...he manages to pull out some kind of a decent season and they are ok with him again, but I think its getting to that point with him where the fan base and all are wanting more consistency.

I would also put Schiano at Rutgers up their on a bit of a hot seat. He was a hot young name a few years ago, but they have had some big drop-off the last 3 years or so now.

I think UGA will suprise everyone with a good year next year. Four good recruiting years, plus Jarvis Jones (LB) will be eligible. Brown at Texas if they do not have a good year. Newweasel at UCLA. Plus, I think Nutt will always be on the hot seat and be offered a job somewhere so he can use it for an extension/pay raise.

In no peticular order is :

1.Mark Richt but does the Bulldog program really care about winning Championships ?!?! Its on the fans

2.Rick Neuheisel got pushed around this pastrecruiting class and I really like Rick but...just dont know ?

3.Dabo Sweeny can recruit like any other elite Coaches but cant do anything w/ them when they get there

4.Dennis Erikson had many loses that could have been W's but bottom line GOTTA WIN

5.Mack Brown ?!?!?!  O know but he cant afford another 5-7 season, even w/ his 10 Win season streak

6.Butch Davis should have been ACC coach of the year w/ the players they didnt have, but regaudless its on him

7.Paul Johnson was HOTTT even 1 season into GA Tech job, but he really needs a turn around from this year

8.Turner Gill... SO GLAD WE GOT CHIZIK!!! But 3-9 at KU is not gonna fly even at B-Ball school

9.Jim Grobes also went 3-9 and thoug he seemed 2 put Wake on the map in FB, He's gotta have results

10.Ron Zook w/ no real significant Wins in '10, Zooker needs a big season 

you folks must have missed it but zook got a raise and extension about two weeks ago. ad said expectations are bowl game appearences. nutt also got extension this dont mean they cant get fired, but i dont think it shows a hot seat either. i think richt's contract buyout kept him there and might continue to keep him there. more bama loses especially iron bowl losses will be too much fun to ingest, but i dont see saban pushed out but when he starts consistently loosing 3 and 4 games a year the updyke's of the gump nation(which are a bigger % than bama will admit), start throwing bricks, nick saban will wish he never crawled into that sewer.

I have a feeling UGA is going to have a really good year.  If crowell steps up like Dyer did for us this year, I could see them going all the way.  The UGA vs Auburn game could be huge this year.

A fellow MD friend of mine that is one of Ole Miss's highest contributing Alumni, indicated to me in a conservation that he and I had at a Christmas party in Asheville this past December, that Houston Nutt is not going anywhere hopefully for a long time. The fiasco under Ed Ogeron recently, left a horrible taste in the mouth of their AD and board. It has been a very, very, long time since Ole Miss has had back to back 9 win seasons. He indicated that Ole Miss would allow Nutt to have another losing season in 2011 and possibly 2012. If Nutt has a 6-6 season or better next year, he will buy himself another 4-5 years as HC at Ole Miss. Houston Nutt is a very good coach that knows how to get the most out of his players. If you look at Nutt's tenure at Arky, he had some losing season, but always managed to have some back to back winning seasons immediatly afterwards. Ole Miss is a very hard school to win the SEC West title. However, Nutt provides Ole Miss' best chance of achieving this.

WDE!!

Doc

In no peticular order is :

1.Mark Richt but does the Bulldog program really care about winning Championships ?!?! Its on the fans

2.Rick Neuheisel got pushed around this pastrecruiting class and I really like Rick but...just dont know ?

3.Dabo Sweeny can recruit like any other elite Coaches but cant do anything w/ them when they get there

4.Dennis Erikson had many loses that could have been W's but bottom line GOTTA WIN

5.Mack Brown ?!?!?!  O know but he cant afford another 5-7 season, even w/ his 10 Win season streak

6.Butch Davis should have been ACC coach of the year w/ the players they didnt have, but regaudless its on him

7.Paul Johnson was HOTTT even 1 season into GA Tech job, but he really needs a turn around from this year

8.Turner Gill... SO GLAD WE GOT CHIZIK!!! But 3-9 at KU is not gonna fly even at B-Ball school

9.Jim Grobes also went 3-9 and thoug he seemed 2 put Wake on the map in FB, He's gotta have results

10.Ron Zook w/ no real significant Wins in '10, Zooker needs a big season 

With Gill only being in his first season, I think Kansas will give him a solid 3 year look. A lot of crap coming out of Mangino's tenure there buys Gill a full look.

Grobe at Wake, I wouldnt put him in this list yet. Another bad year will, but lets see how they look this year.

Erickson and Neuheisel for sure are looking toasty in their seats. But Rick just did the typical staff shuffling so that will buy him an extra year.

I have a feeling UGA is going to have a really good year.  If crowell steps up like Dyer did for us this year, I could see them going all the way.  The UGA vs Auburn game could be huge this year.

UGay has the EASIEST schedule in the SEC - they play don't play Al, LSU or Ark from the west and the east will be weaker this year than last.  So even though I don't think Richt is a good coach, I expect they will win 9 or 10 games just because the competition is so weak.

Archived