World's Worst Predictions!

ToraGirl

Last night while prepping for youth Bible study, I came across some wild predictions that fell way short.  In retrospect, they remind me a lot of all of the crow eaten this year, within and without, regarding all things Auburn.  Rule of this "game" is that you can list one prediction...either from memory or from research...just to keep us reminded that not only do we NOT know it all, but that we armchair experts need to maintain a little joie de vivre in the art of being wrong--only to be pleasantly surprised!

WWP:  “We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.”  -

Decca Recording Company reflecting the Beatles, 1962

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Theoretically, television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility--a development which we should waste little time dreaming about.

- Lee de Forest, 1926, inventor of the cathode ray tube

This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.

- Western Union internal memo, 1876

D-III player Joe Dudek is the smart pick for the Heisman - December 2, 1985.

It's weird seeing a magazine pull a move like this 25 years ago. I thought the whole "take an absolutely inconceivable position and argue it like a madman" thing started after ESPN instituted its policy of hiring on-air talent based on how loud they can yell, not how smart their opinions are. But here, two-and-a-half decades ago, "SI" pulled out a Baylessian argument that Bo Jackson should lose the Heisman to a guy who was tearing up Division III football.

With all due respect, that's like saying Jeff Bridges should've lost the Oscar to Chad Vader.

(Jackson ended up winning the Heisman. Joe Dudek finished ninth in the voting -- which is incredibly impressive for a D-III player. But still.)

"Bobby Lowder will never leave the AU Board of Trustees...."  (handful of posters... :-X)

AND  "Radio has no future."  ~ Lord Kelvin (1897)

My mind works like a funnel. in comes the info, and out it goes with very little resistance.

don't ask, just delete my post.

"You should go back to driving a truck."

Guy in charge of the Grand Ole Oprey to Elvis Presley

The internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse

Founder of 3Com corporation (1995)

Bammer coach: "Bo, if you go to Auburn, you will NEVER beat Alabama."

I think we all know what happened with that stupid comment.

• 2 weeks later...

“With over 50 foreign cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry isn’t likely to carve out a big slice of the U.S. market.”

- Business Week, 1958

• 1 month later...

Archived