Its official...Texas A&M joins the SEC

AuburnWarVet

I like the move A&M is making by coming into the SEC....it is a WIN/WIN for both. Who will be the 14th member? It won't be Mizzou. Mizzou has been trying to bluff the Big ten into thinking the SEC is seriously interested but you can rest assure we aren't. They are a natural fit for the big ten, with their rival being the Illini, and will eventually land with those schools. I'm excited about the prospects of the 14th team. Since we have UAT in our state, it would be interesting to gauge the interest of those schools that are in the same state as current SEC members like Clemson, Georgia Tech and FSU. We could also look at the big east teams like USF, WVU, Louisville and TCU. I'm not so sure about UCF or any schools in C-USA

A&M has huge potential.  Absolutely no reason they can't rise up to the top of the conference.  I know they've stumbled over this in the past, but it wasn't that long ago that VaTech played Richmond, VMI, and William & Mary every year.  Just a matter of leadership and opportunity.

Plus, A&M has a natural affinity with Auburn.

I know everyone says Clemson and fsu would be blocked but honestly they are what fits.  Especially fsu they are basically a sec team without the schedule right now. I'm sure Florida does like being the only sec team in state but it fits the conference and honestly fsu to the sec hurts us uga  and bama as much if not more than it does their recruiting.  Its a divided culture in that state and both programs are headed back up they wouldn't loose five recruits a year with fsu in the sec. Where as there would be a major push in south Alabama and south GA if state was in the sec. And when you think about the level of talent in Florida its just not the issue it would be in south Carolina

Also didn't slive say that they were concerned with the brand not just TV markets. To me mizzo is a shotgun marriage at best that will never fit. Fsu is to me the obvious choice as the fit the brand and have the potential to one day pull another title which would still further the sec. Clemson would be the next best fit but honestly it would hurt usce significantly and I don't see it happening b/c their state isn't full of talent and usce does hang their recruiting on being the only sec game in town. As far as tech next time you are in Atlanta count how many tech hats you see, they don't play our brand and they don't even own the city they are in. Uwv is such a horrible idea that it makes me want to vomit. Vt wouldn't be bad but they Really are not interested. As far as ucf they are no more on the rise than Troy. I have Brother in law that played ball there and still lives in the area and they don't have the  culture at all. It'd just he adding a team for the number. As far as usf I think it'd be more of an issue than state. Its an extremely talent rich area with unreal weather. A fan base that wants to get into the game. Noone wants a team in the bay to he able to tell kids stay near home and still play in the sec. I'm sure I'm wrong but I say fsu until both fsu and the sec say no, I Just don't see a legit argument for it to not be them. Also if you wanna talk about TV markets with the acc expanding uf is far from the only team in Florida getting TV time right now. getting the best program in the acc and the other half to a au/ua rivalry situation brings a good bit more veiwership than forcing a non football market into the sec or reaching that vt or uwv gets you DC.

A & M changes everything with distance and cost to travel.  I'd like AU in East which only happens with W. expansion.

The trouble is there is not enough to the W. to want to bring in and what do you do with them once they are in ?

The only candidate on the horizon is Missou and they really want in the BIG 10.  SEC is not a consolation prize.

I think in the end we  will wait a year and take one of the ACC teams which wants to come and we want to come.  Several candidates out there.

Archived