For those questioning Trotter

AUfan_UAgrad

Ok I have seen (not just here but other places as well) people questioning Trotter, our offense, and lack of scoring in the game.  Think about it for a minute, this was our 3rd time to play them in 2 years.  USC has to have a lot of film on us.  If you watch, the receivers were not open very much, which I think was making Trotter force things.  I don't think it's our receivers fault, I just think that USC was well prepared for our passing game.

Ok I have seen (not just here but other places as well) people questioning Trotter, our offense, and lack of scoring in the game.  Think about it for a minute, this was our 3rd time to play them in 2 years.  USC has to have a lot of film on us.  If you watch, the receivers were not open very much, which I think was making Trotter force things.  I don't think it's our receivers fault, I just think that USC was well prepared for our passing game.

Trott did a great job managing the game on the last drive. He's had his ups and downs this year. But all the people doubting him have to realise, it starts at the O-Line. If they don't give him time, bad decisions will be made. I believe everyone should support him. He's OUR quarterback. He's the leader of OUR team. I love Trott and believe he's got a good rest of the season ahead of him.  :believe:

You're right, it's not all Trotter's fault.......all in all, I think he is doing a good job managing the game - a few bad throws and a few times he has held the ball too long......while it may be a moot point, do you ever wonder where the team would be had Russell Wilson chosen Auburn......would we still be 4-1 with a bunch of players still needing to grow......or would we be 5-0 with RW providing a jolt of confidence to a group of guys not realizing that they still need to "grow"........I'm happy with what we've got, but what if..................

I think it is a combination of reasons. For one, we don't have T-Zach, Adams, and Kodi to help Blake at WR. This season, no other receiver has proven to be a consistent threat besides Blake. Lutz is occupied with the job of H-back which is limiting his catches. We miss Eric Smith.

T-Zach and Kodi were good blockers on the corners that helped our running game.

Cam was a running threat and teams had to respect that. That threat automatically freed up space for our receivers. That's why Cam threw to mostly wide open targets.

South Carolina is not as familiar with our players this year as we are their's. We have many new faces and they didn't know what to expect, but they do know Malzahn's system from playing us two times before. South Carolina returned the core of their offense intact, so we were familiar with all they do.

If you say managing the game one more time I think his number will change to 12 and he will become left-handed  :-X

Gus's offense is not meant for a game manager. One thing you can give him is that he has been excellent with the game on the line against USU and USC. The pick against Clemson was a great defensive play, but we were moving and about to make things really intersting. He is the perfect leader for the personality this team has built around itself. Not always the best looking, has his moments, but he figures it out when it matters most. Interpret that how you like.

I think the only real beef most people have with Trotter is that he needs to learn to throw it away more instead of forcing it.  That's an experience thing, but it is costing us right now.  I would be willing to bet he throws it away a lot more against Arkansas.  Trotter doesn't seem the type to keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Most people calling for Frazier aren't calling for him because of Trotter but because having a mobile QB in there would take some pressure off of the O-Line that is still gelling, because the other teams would have to be worried about the run on every play.

Sorry AU-Weagle, my bad......I just don't see that "explosive" play from the QB that is characteristic of CGM's offense.......maybe it will come from Trotter in due time......I hope so

Man yall should read the game thread lol...I still think trotter is the best guy for the job RIGHT NOW....one thing to think about is we are 5 games in and have used a limited play book still...with the style d arky plays we will see more of frazier but vs fl and lsu trotter will have to make some big plays to stand a chance

So Totter is now 4-1 as the starting QB for a team in the toughest conference outside the NFL...

If he continues at this rate AU wins 80% of our games this year = 10-3 season... (do the math)

... in a rebuilding year... looks very good to me for this point in his career...

So Totter is now 4-1 as the starting QB for a team in the toughest conference outside the NFL...

If he continues at this rate AU wins 80% of our games this year = 10-3 season... (do the math)

... in a rebuilding year... looks very good to me for this point in his career...

True "ifs," but we haven't gotten to the hard part of the schedule yet.  Well, I guess we're just getting in it now.  I'm not anti-Trotter, and I trust the coaches to know who gives us the best chance to win.  I just have two issues regarding Trotter being the qb.  One, he telescopes a lot of passes which explains most of his interceptions this year.  We don't help that by rolling him out and effectively cutting the field in half.  He's giving defensive backs a huge head start in getting to the ball, and the good ones are making us pay.  Two, he doesn't seem to be a running threat at all which is making the zone read much harder to execute since no one has to respect him as a runner.  The truth of that shows up when Frazier comes in.  It's a whole different running attack with a qb who can/will run.  We finally saw Trotter keep the ball once or twice Saturday, and he had a couple of nice gains.  I've concluded that with Trotter we're just going to have to take the good with the bad.  He frustrated the heck out of me for most of the afternoon and then looked like a super bowl MVP on the last drive. 

I like Barrett Trotter, everyone knows he's not Cam Newton but, you can WIN with him - Chris Spielman , ESPN Analyst on national telecast

Who is the QB Coach ? He needs to do a BETTER JOB. as in EARN his salary !!! CGM needs to continue to use high percentage passes, ESPECIALLY on the road. Build his confidence back up. The telegraphing is the coach's fault in not correcting it in practice. Trotter is sound, not perfect but sound. He needs to get the ball to the playmakers and let them WIN the game. He does need to carry the ball a little more to keep the opponents honest. Why haven't we max protected and thrown deep more often early in games to back the safeties out ?! AU pays their coaches well, they NEED to coach a little better, ESPECIALLY the QB Coach !!!

I say BT is good enough to WIN with and Frazier taking a dozen snaps a game is OK as long as it doesn't harm BT mindset. You, me and all AU Coaches know that the true Freshman is NOT ready to take over this team now. Next season, maybe. Using Frazier as they do seems to be working most snaps, but Trotter IS the best chance AU has to WIN now.

Please WAIT to the off season to start a QB controversy. I'll be busy enjoying these WINS until then ! You who want a controversy can talk that divisive mess up after the Bowl WIN !!! THX.

I also want to comment to you who didn't like Cox. Brandon Cox has a better winning percentage (what REALLY matters) than prob 90% of all AU starting QB with a minimum dozen starts. Yes, he "managed" the game and in MOST cases he managed WINS !

Time to SKIN some hoggs, friends

:wareagle: JUST WIN BABY  :party:

I can not say if it is Trotter or CGM, the facts are speaking for themselves. On Saturday I know of at least two times that the same play was called 5 times or or more in a row. It looks that the powers have little confidence in Trotter in making the pass, he was all over the place Saturday. Like it or not there are some problems on the offensive side of the ball. Considering the line for the most part has done their job as well as the running backs. I have said it many times when you run certain sets with the same players it will be get picked up.

I can not say if it is Trotter or CGM, the facts are speaking for themselves. On Saturday I know of at least two times that the same play was called 5 times or or more in a row. It looks that the powers have little confidence in Trotter in making the pass, he was all over the place Saturday. Like it or not there are some problems on the offensive side of the ball. Considering the line for the most part has done their job as well as the running backs. I have said it many times when you run certain sets with the same players it will be get picked up.

I agree BT didn't have a good day. CGM didn't have a good day either OR did they ? AU WON ! Everyone must remember SC has a decent D! CGM does needs to reassess his tendencies. The AR DC has said in the past "they knew what was coming" referring to CGM. I have also (believe this or not) heard a sideline reporter comment that CGM called such and such a high percentage of the time in such and such situation. That reporter got that info you know from the opposing D staff in preparation for the telecast. CGM is good, BUT this is not high school, this is BIG TIME CFB and if opposing coaches pick up your tendencies and stop you, you normally LOSE !

Mo one and only problem with Trotter is he stares down his reciever. it makes it easier for the D to intercept/break up the play, resulting in the lack of offense you are talking about. part of this is due to the O line not holding the pocket very long, the other is trotters natural tendancy to go where the planed pass is to go and not go through his progression.

as time passes he will get better at this, especially as the O line improves and he has more time.

Ha ha ha.  MALZAHN is the quarterbacks coach!!  I can't help but think that if a QB draw for Trotter wasn't called every once in a while that he wouldn't be more of a threat to run.  That also may give the other team something to think about.  Sure, he's no Cam Newton, but even Garcia did it several times with quite a bit of success.

I said this earlier on another AE thread....

The O-line makes it hard for BT to execute. Not having Eric Smith available left a big problem for our offense because he was the best blocker we had.

We won the game. What more could you ask of that young man?  :banghead:

He's been pretty gutsy so far. I think he's doing a great job under less than ideal circumstances considering the youth of his protection up front. Things will improve as those kids gain more experience.

The OL has done it's job for the most part?

In 2009 thru 5 games, Auburn allowed 2 sacks from 148 pass attempts. In 2010, they have allowed 12 in 126 pass attempts.

In 2009 thru 5 games, AU averaged 5.42 yards per rush. In 2011, Auburn is averaging 4.57.

I am not the person who wants Trotter benched in favor or Frazier just yet, but I can't figure out this scenario that has played out more than once thus far:

Frazier enters the game and either through runs of his own or handing off on the sweep, Auburn gets a first down just to see Dyer and Trotter come back to the field and Trotter hand off to Dyer on a play up the middle. If the next play call is a hand off to Dyer...wouldn't it be more effective to have Frazier be the one handing it to him? I think Frazier's role will continue to expand as the season moves on, but that isn't just because of how Trotter plays(good , average or bad I think KF's role expands). 4-1 is 4-1, it hasn't been pretty but I will take it and keep losing my voice each and every weekend. :wareagle:

I am not the person who wants Trotter benched in favor or Frazier just yet, but I can't figure out this scenario that has played out more than once thus far:

Frazier enters the game and either through runs of his own or handing off on the sweep, Auburn gets a first down just to see Dyer and Trotter come back to the field and Trotter hand off to Dyer on a play up the middle. If the next play call is a hand off to Dyer...wouldn't it be more effective to have Frazier be the one handing it to him? I think Frazier's role will continue to expand as the season moves on, but that isn't just because of how Trotter plays(good , average or bad I think KF's role expands). 4-1 is 4-1, it hasn't been pretty but I will take it and keep losing my voice each and every weekend. :wareagle:

This is exactly what I keep repeating at my house. Does Gus think having trotter in makes the defense worry about a deep pass? Why not keep Frazier in to balance the running game?

Don't know if anybody saw my other post, but Auburn ran on 30 of 32 first downs Saturday -- including the initial 19, then two passes, then the rest runs.  That means Trotter is almost always throwing in passing situations. 

Add to that that our pass blocking is below SEC snuff and that our receivers aren't breaking open often.

So, sure, Barrett has made some bad throws and held the ball too long on occasion.  But in my view Gus would have to take a look in the mirror before even thinking about a change.  (And #10 has shown no indication that he's ready for the job.)

The difference in sacks this year compare to last year is last year we had a QB reading the defense and could evade the defense and not getting sacked. The one thing that I can remember from summer camp was both CGM and Trotter said he was a pocket passer and was not fast enough to be a roll out passer. At issue with Trotter,s passing, off target passes, looking down the receiver, and not finding the check off receiver. What made Cam effective last year was his ability find a open receiver and stay in the pocket and take the hit for the completion. The problem right now is Trotter has taken some hard hits this year and from week 1 to week 5 he has regressed in his ability to pass the ball. I would love to see him make the corrections and lead the team, but again in this aspect he has also regressed. The first two week of the season he was a leader on the sidelines, but the last three weeks he has looked as if he was feeling sorry for him self setting alone on the bench. Who ever the QB is Trotter, Frazier or Mosley will have that ownership and command the respect of the players during the good and the bad.

Its whats in all of the above posts but I think we will see changes in offense every game as the season progresses. Partly because we are finding out what we have and partly because we don't want to show too much too early.

Archived