Is the defense really that much better?

keen1

a few more relevant bullet points regarding Ted Roof defenses in the last 10 years. these numbers are from '01-'10

*given up 30+ points 55 times

*given up 40+ 29 times

*average giving up 29.7 points per game

*average giving up 400 yards per game

*average scoring defense rank #82

*finished last in his conference in total defense 4 out of 10 years

those stats are telling, but you forgot to mention they were mainly compiled while at Duke and Minnesota, neither of which are juggernauts.  Its convenient to use these stats to further your point, it's even more convenient to forget to mention the little fact of why they are so bad.

I would have used his stats from the better teams he coached at but there werent any. wonder why that is? its not like I just hand picked from the bad pile, kinda like you do with your responses. why didnt you address the point I made about his stint at Ga Tech? those were his best defenses out of his entire career and they were barely top 25. sorry you dont like the facts but dont blame me, I dont like them either. I am just delivering the info. 

What Roof did at other schools is not as important as what he has done at AU.  For example, I doubt many of our Bammer friends would have anything bad to say about Gene Stallings.  But his head coaching record prior to his stint at UA was horrible, 45 - 79 - 1, to be exact.  But at Bama, he went 70 -16 - 1.  Let's not foget our own head coach, who everyone laughed at when he was hired with a 5 - 22 record from Iowa State.  As Al Borges once said, it ain't the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmy's and the Joe"s.  He said that wwhen he had three first round draft picks in his backfield, four future NFL WR's and three NFL lineman.  But several years later, when he didn't have any of those guys, our offense was not as productive.

So, if you must have this discussion, at least focus on what matters, the current situation, and not waste time trying to figure out if someone did a good job somewhere else a long time ago.  And as for that, I side with Al Borges.  Give us some experienced Jimmy's and Joe's that have NFL careers in their future and I expect us to be a pretty good team in all areas, including defense.  That day is coming, trust me!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody needs to stop wishing for the defensive glory years because those aren't coming back until we also return to the years of boring offense.  Maybe Roof isn't the best DC possible for for our situation, but it would be hard to find a DC who would be better and would stick around more than two years.

Why?  Because it would be career suicide for a DC to work opposite Malzhan.  Only way to get a defensive coaching superstar is to get them when they are unproven, and once they were remotely successful they'll jump at any DC job on a ball control non-hurry-up team.

If Roof is good enough to help Auburn win games, then he is exactly what we need for long term stability.  Evidence suggests that he is helping Auburn win games. 

The only better long term situation I can imagine is Chizik taking over the defense and getting another position coach.

Please share the "evidence".  I'd like to hear from the "Just wait till next year" if you have anything solid you can point to that makes you feel this way...or is it just a gut feeling.  Just because a guy is getting playing time this year doesn't mean he'll be a beast next year.  That comes from coaching.  Only example I can think of is NF and the man that gets the most credit for coaching him up is no longer on the Plains. 

What Roof did at other schools is not as important as what he has done at AU.  For example, I doubt many of our Bammer friends would have anything bad to say about Gene Stallings.  But his head coaching record prior to his stint at UA was horrible, 45 - 79 - 1, to be exact.  But at Bama, he went 70 -16 - 1.  Let's not foget our own head coach, who everyone laughed at when he was hired with a 5 - 22 record from Iowa State.  As Al Borges once said, it ain't the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmy's and the Joe"s.  He said that wwhen he had three first round draft picks in his backfield, four future NFL WR's and three NFL lineman.  But several years later, when he didn't have any of those guys, our offense was not as productive.

So, if you must have this discussion, at least focus on what matters, the current situation, and not waste time trying to figure out if someone did a good job somewhere else a long time ago.  And as for that, I side with Al Borges.  Give us some experienced Jimmy's and Joe's that have NFL careers in their future and I expect us to be a pretty good team in all areas, including defense.  That day is coming, trust me!

very good post! (of course any time we can use a Borges quote is good)Roof will go from "average at best" this year to "wow maybe roof is pretty good" next year to "roof is the best D coord in the history of football" in 2013.  of course the increasing embarassment of talent all over the defense might help! 

roof is a quality d coord.  gotta give him the same benefit of the doubt that chizik is given.  if chiz keeps him then i like him.

Chizik had a miserable record at iowa state before we hired him... I am glad we did not look at his records and stats from those years before making a decision a few years ago.

Roof has been involved in helping us win games. I thought the defense was the main reason we won the national championship game last year. The offense looked bad in that game.

I agree 100% about our HUNH offense affecting the defense. You can have a good offense and a good defense but you can't have a great HUNH offense and a top 10 defense. Look at Oregon's stats. They are ranked 72 in the nation in total defense. The defense is on the field a large portion of the game.

With that being said, there is no reason why the defense can't be better and be in the top 30. With no injuries, I expect the defense to be much better next year. I hope I am correct. I like Roof but we need to see better soon.

And we need to start by making adjustments QUICKER...not just at halftime.

We have the best recruiters in the country on staff.  Why have we not been able to recruit a bunch of big ole nasty LB's with really bad attitudes to this team?

We have the best recruiters in the country on staff.  Why have we not been able to recruit a bunch of big ole nasty LB's with really bad attitudes to this team?

Well I will agree with this one. Over the years the LB recruiting has been less than stellar. I think we are trying. Frost, McKinzy, Landrum... we are recruiting Kwon. We are trying to get bigger and faster LBs.

Yeah, we're young this year, I get it. But what about last year when we had all those seniors, not to mention a lights out junior by the name of Nick Fairley? Why did TR always have to make incredible adjustments at the half? What really bailed out Roof last year was a young man by the name of Cam Newton. Needless to say we don't have Fariley or Newton. But this team has played 9 games  and it is still suspect against the run as well as the pass. Before some of you rake me over the coals just look at the stats and see for yourself. I've been an AU fan for over 50 years and will continue to pull for the tigers. I would just like to see improvement in our defense.

last year??? you mean the national championship defense?

For the record, I think CTR deserves the opportunity to coach here next year. With that said, let's not pretend our defense was great last year because we won the National Championship. We gave up over 24 points (average) a game last year. Gave up over 30 points four times. In one game we gave up 43 points! We won those games because our offense couldn't be stopped.

For the record, I think CTR deserves the opportunity to coach here next year. With that said, let's not pretend our defense was great last year because we won the National Championship. We gave up over 24 points (average) a game last year. Gave up over 30 points four times. In one game we gave up 43 points! We won those games because our offense couldn't be stopped.

true ... but the funny thing is, after that 43 points given up, it was the defense who ended up winning us that game (silly statement, i know).  but i would argue that the beginning of the year, our defense played soft, "dont give up the big play" defense per chizik, not roof.  our offense was also run at the beginning of the year with an attempt at ball control, "protect the defense" kinda philosophy.  i would not argue that we had breakdowns on the d, but i would argue that it was more personnel related and not as much coaching.

i will not argue that we have an "elite" defensive combination of coaching, players and scheme (which factors in the effect the offense has on the D).  I, too, want to see defensive improvement next year.  3 full recruiting classes.  gotta see it on the field at that point.  i suspect we will be markedly better up front and in the back.  i still worry about our LB's next year.  guess we should let them finish this year first.  (i predict a top 40 d next year and top 20 in 2013)

a few more relevant bullet points regarding Ted Roof defenses in the last 10 years. these numbers are from '01-'10

*given up 40+ 29 times

those stats are telling, but you forgot to mention they were mainly compiled while at Duke and Minnesota, neither of which are juggernauts.  Its convenient to use these stats to further your point, it's even more convenient to forget to mention the little fact of why they are so bad.

I would have used his stats from the better teams he coached at but there werent any. wonder why that is? its not like I just hand picked from the bad pile, kinda like you do with your responses. why didnt you address the point I made about his stint at Ga Tech? those were his best defenses out of his entire career and they were barely top 25. sorry you dont like the facts but dont blame me, I dont like them either. I am just delivering the info. 

As far as addressing his stint at GT, here you go.

After spending the first season coaching the Yellow Jackets linebackers, Roof was promoted to defensive coordinator. He was nominated for the 2000 Broyles Award, an annual honor given to the nation's top assistant coach, when his defense finished the season ranked 12th in the nation in rushing defense and 20th in scoring defense. The following season, the Yellow Jackets were again one of the top defenses in the nation, ranking 23rd nationally in total defense and 32nd against the run.

Barely top 25? Are you saying CTR has to have a top 20 defense before you'll support him?  What number would you need us to reach before you admit he's a good coach? Is there one?  As far as the best years of his career, yes, you are right, those Defenses were much better than his at Duke, Minnesota, and the three patchworked squads at Auburn...Although, his rush D last year was top 15.   With regards to not liking facts, you are mistaken, I love facts, but try using all of them though, not just the ones that make your argument seem relevant.

I'm not really sure anyone thinks he is doing a "great" job. I may be wrong on that. I think it's more of an understanding that he has kind of had one arm tied behind his back thus far. Next year will be the test that tells me whether, in my opinion, he should stay or go.

I'm likewise on the fence, but I have thought this for three years. "Next year will be the test...."

true ... but the funny thing is, after that 43 points given up, it was the defense who ended up winning us that game (silly statement, i know).  but i would argue that the beginning of the year, our defense played soft, "dont give up the big play" defense per chizik, not roof.  our offense was also run at the beginning of the year with an attempt at ball control, "protect the defense" kinda philosophy.  i would not argue that we had breakdowns on the d, but i would argue that it was more personnel related and not as much coaching.

i will not argue that we have an "elite" defensive combination of coaching, players and scheme (which factors in the effect the offense has on the D).  I, too, want to see defensive improvement next year.  3 full recruiting classes.  gotta see it on the field at that point.  i suspect we will be markedly better up front and in the back.  i still worry about our LB's next year.  guess we should let them finish this year first.  (i predict a top 40 d next year and top 20 in 2013)

This is the reason I think CTR deserves to be here next year.

here's a little more.

Roof left Georgia Tech to become the defensive coordinator at Duke for the 2002 season. Roof's instruction brought marked improvement to the Duke Blue Devils defense, which led the ACC in rushing defense after finishing ninth in the league the previous year. From 2001 to 2002, the Blue Devils moved from ninth to fifth in the ACC and from 113th to 58th nationally in total defense.

Under just one season of Roof's tutelage, the Gophers made tremendous improvements to give up 160 yards fewer passing yards per game and over 135 fewer total yards when compared to the previous year's 119th ranked defense. Besides the nation's worst total defense, Roof also inherited a squad which had ranked 115th in pass defense, 114th in rushing defense and 109th in scoring defense in 2007. Roof's defense made strides throughout the season and finished ranked in the top-25 in both sacks and tackles for loss, after being ranked 103rd and 116th the previous season. Root's defense created 31 turnovers, second most in the Big Ten and 11th nationally. They were seventh in the nation causing fumbles, fueling the team's 16th ranking in turnover margin. Overall, the scoring defense improved to 61st, rushing defense to 69th, total defense to 79th and pass defense to 93rd.

I am just delivering the info.

*given up 40+ 29 times

DOH!!!

here's a little more.

Roof left Georgia Tech to become the defensive coordinator at Duke for the 2002 season. Roof's instruction brought marked improvement to the Duke Blue Devils defense, which led the ACC in rushing defense after finishing ninth in the league the previous year. From 2001 to 2002, the Blue Devils moved from ninth to fifth in the ACC and from 113th to 58th nationally in total defense.

Under just one season of Roof's tutelage, the Gophers made tremendous improvements to give up 160 yards fewer passing yards per game and over 135 fewer total yards when compared to the previous year's 119th ranked defense. Besides the nation's worst total defense, Roof also inherited a squad which had ranked 115th in pass defense, 114th in rushing defense and 109th in scoring defense in 2007. Roof's defense made strides throughout the season and finished ranked in the top-25 in both sacks and tackles for loss, after being ranked 103rd and 116th the previous season. Root's defense created 31 turnovers, second most in the Big Ten and 11th nationally. They were seventh in the nation causing fumbles, fueling the team's 16th ranking in turnover margin. Overall, the scoring defense improved to 61st, rushing defense to 69th, total defense to 79th and pass defense to 93rd.

thank you for adding a little perspective to this debate.  going from 109th in scoring D to 61st is good coaching.  when only the 61 is thrown out there it is misleading ... adding the "from 109th" to the sentence changes the connotation.

Everybody needs to stop wishing for the defensive glory years because those aren't coming back until we also return to the years of boring offense.  Maybe Roof isn't the best DC possible for for our situation, but it would be hard to find a DC who would be better and would stick around more than two years.

Why?  Because it would be career suicide for a DC to work opposite Malzhan.  Only way to get a defensive coaching superstar is to get them when they are unproven, and once they were remotely successful they'll jump at any DC job on a ball control non-hurry-up team.

If Roof is good enough to help Auburn win games, then he is exactly what we need for long term stability.  Evidence suggests that he is helping Auburn win games. 

The only better long term situation I can imagine is Chizik taking over the defense and getting another position coach.

Why?

I don't agree with that concept.  I believe that we controlled the ball at least evenly, if not more last year and in the last few games, this year.  I don't agree that the defensive philosophy is dictated by the offense.  You either make the tackles and stop the other team or you don't.

*given up 40+ 29 times

After spending the first season coaching the Yellow Jackets linebackers, Roof was promoted to defensive coordinator. He was nominated for the 2000 Broyles Award, an annual honor given to the nation's top assistant coach, when his defense finished the season ranked 12th in the nation in rushing defense and 20th in scoring defense. The following season, the Yellow Jackets were again one of the top defenses in the nation, ranking 23rd nationally in total defense and 32nd against the run.

Barely top 25? Are you saying CTR has to have a top 20 defense before you'll support him?  What number would you need us to reach before you admit he's a good coach? Is there one?  As far as the best years of his career, yes, you are right, those Defenses were much better than his at Duke, Minnesota, and the three patchworked squads at Auburn...Although, his rush D last year was top 15.   With regards to not liking facts, you are mistaken, I love facts, but try using all of them though, not just the ones that make your argument seem relevant.

so what part of that refutes any point I have made? his total defense was ranked 23rd, that'd qualify as barely top 25 just like I said. he had a top 15 rush defense once at GT and once last season. thats decent and thats ALL he has EVER accomplished. as far as your question, YES I believe it isnt too much to expect AU to have a top 25 defense. if he cant accomplish that with the level of talent we have historically been able to attract then no I am not in support of his efforts. we will not consistently be competitive in the SEC without it. I realize everyone is gonna poitn to last year, thats fine. get back to me the next time we see a once in a generation talent like Cam Newton that will save our butts like last year. lets use all the facts that got us that crystal instead of the ones that prop up Ted Roof.

Personally, I don't care where the defense is ranked nationally.  I'd be fine with a top three SEC defense.  Next year is the year where we'll have depth and experience on our side.  There will be no excuses this time next year, IMO.

Why?

I don't agree with that concept.  I believe that we controlled the ball at least evenly, if not more last year and in the last few games, this year.  I don't agree that the defensive philosophy is dictated by the offense.  You either make the tackles and stop the other team or you don't.

Because faster paced offenses have defenses that are on the field for more snaps.  More snaps against means more opportunities to give up yardage.

If team A's defense is on the field 70 times because its offense scores quickly or goes 3 and out quickly and team B's defense is on the field 35 times because their offense has long time consuming drives, then team A has 2 times the opportunity to give up yardage.  Therefore, if the defenses were the same, then the one paired with a faster offense will fair less favorably than the one paired with a ball control offense.

here's a little more.

thank you for adding a little perspective to this debate.  going from 109th in scoring D to 61st is good coaching.  when only the 61 is thrown out there it is misleading ... adding the "from 109th" to the sentence changes the connotation.

but was it coaching or did he just reap the benefits of those players being a year older and more experienced? those excuses we love to use to prop up the Roof are a double edged sword. next year if we rank 50th in total defense we will still be pitiful but by your standards we will have seen marked improvement since right now we sit at 74th. fair or not, its a results oriented business he is in.  

*given up 40+ 29 times

so what part of that refutes any point I have made? his total defense was ranked 23rd, that'd qualify as barely top 25 just like I said. he had a top 15 rush defense once at GT and once last season. thats decent and thats ALL he has EVER accomplished. as far as your question, YES I believe it isnt too much to expect AU to have a top 25 defense. if he cant accomplish that with the level of talent we have historically been able to attract then no I am not in support of his efforts. we will not consistently be competitive in the SEC without it. I realize everyone is gonna poitn to last year, thats fine. get back to me the next time we see a once in a generation talent like Cam Newton that will save our butts like last year. lets use all the facts that got us that crystal instead of the ones that prop up Ted Roof.

The point is your ten year window you gave is skewed by two of the worst defenses in the country.  The facts I provided showed the dramatic improvement by both defenses, not in spite of CTR, but because of CTR. 

but was it coaching or did he just reap the benefits of those players being a year older and more experienced? those excuses we love to use to prop up the Roof are a double edged sword. next year if we rank 50th in total defense we will still be pitiful but by your standards we will have seen marked improvement since right now we sit at 74th. fair or not, its a results oriented business he is in.  

That depends, was he only playing true freshman, red-shirt freshman, and sophomores?  If yes, then the extra year would account for a lot of the improvement.  If not, and he had upperclassman that have gone through college off seasons which also had game experience, the it is obvious it would be the coaching.

yes, you helped me make my point.  i said elsewhere (maybe earlier in this thread) that alot of folks dogging roof now will think him a better coach next year when the talent is better/more experienced and a great coach the year after 4 full recruiting classes.  i think he is a good coach now and will think of him as a good coach then.

Why?

Because faster paced offenses have defenses that are on the field for more snaps.  More snaps against means more opportunities to give up yardage.

If team A's defense is on the field 70 times because its offense scores quickly or goes 3 and out quickly and team B's defense is on the field 35 times because their offense has long time consuming drives, then team A has 2 times the opportunity to give up yardage.  Therefore, if the defenses were the same, then the one paired with a faster offense will fair less favorably than the one paired with a ball control offense.

But if you look at last year and this year, when our O is clicking, we are winning the TOP battle.  Again, I think you are either making the tackles and stops or not.

Archived