2014 4* LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (Alabama signee)

Guest EagleDamnWar

SDH is not a priority for AU. They, AU, are going to keep the phone lines open but are not recruiting him hard.

So is it safe to say that this is due to attrition by Landrum & Gaston??

No. The staff has always had interest. SDH has reciprocated it some recently. Has more to do with take a very good LB if you can and possibly insurance for Deshaun Davis's injury.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SDH is not a priority for AU. They, AU, are going to keep the phone lines open but are not recruiting him hard.

So is it safe to say that this is due to attrition by Landrum & Gaston??

No. The staff has always had interest. SDH has reciprocated it some recently. Has more to do with take a very good LB if you can and possibly insurance for Deshaun Davis's injury.

Good info. I knew of the interest but it was stated when these two committed that DD took SDH spot..either way, I'd love to have them both.

We are still in picture very much with SDH.

I drive by Carver on the way to work and see the football team on the field Mon - Thurs at 6AM. I want to roll the window down and yell WDE! :big:

I drive by Carver on the way to work and see the football team on the field Mon - Thurs at 6AM. I want to roll the window down and yell WDE! :big:

Why be a want to guy? Be a did that guy.

Soooo is your window not working ? What ?

I drive by Carver on the way to work and see the football team on the field Mon - Thurs at 6AM. I want to roll the window down and yell WDE! :big:/>

For real! Yell it.

You know, I did exactly that one time. People just looked at me funny. If it hadn't been outside of Raymond-James Stadium before the Outback Bowl back during the 09 season, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but people were looking at me as if I'd lost my mind. My father grinned and made the comment that there's just something queer about an Auburn gameday that drew that response to "War Eagle". LOL

You know, I did exactly that one time. People just looked at me funny. If it hadn't been outside of Raymond-James Stadium before the Outback Bowl back during the 09 season, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but people were looking at me as if I'd lost my mind. My father grinned and made the comment that there's just something queer about an Auburn gameday that drew that response to "War Eagle". LOL

That was you yelling down there in Tampa? Oh wow.....

If there ever was a position that we need to "over-recruit" it's linebacker. It's been four years since we signed a good class of linebackers and signing one or two a year simply won't get it done.

From the 2010 class: Holland, still on the job. Owens, better at DE. White, injured and done with football. Curry, vanished is a (smoky?) haze. It looks like a school has to sign three or four to get one that plays through. We probably should sign four every year, for a while at least.

PS: Coach Johnson himself has said the "star" position requires LB skills more than it does safety skills, so let's don't get into the "4-2-5 doesn't need many LB" discussion.

Why be a want to guy? Be a did that guy.

Haha, doing 75mph on the interstate yelling at some kids warming up for football 100 yards from the interstate at 6AM would definitely get some looks...........

Maybe I'll do it on Monday! :big:

I've done that before driving by the practice fields on the first day of spring camp several years while I was in Auburn. I always got a fist pump or similar response. WDE!

I could not agree more about signing more linebackers...especially in the SEC. As soon as one goes out there can not be a drop in play. Owens should have been playing lb all along. Its this weird attitude about getting small guys bigger to play the position. We move safeties to lb but we should moving high school de to lb. Tommy late and Chizik did that...recruiting these small guys and then you have what Bates did which was play out of position his entire career. Now in the NFL he has to relearn everything. Just like when people were saying Evans could be a good defensive end at Auburn but that's the attitude....he's an outside lb not an end.

I could not agree more about signing more linebackers...especially in the SEC. As soon as one goes out there can not be a drop in play. Owens should have been playing lb all along. Its this weird attitude about getting small guys bigger to play the position. We move safeties to lb but we should moving high school de to lb. Tommy late and Chizik did that...recruiting these small guys and then you have what Bates did which was play out of position his entire career. Now in the NFL he has to relearn everything. Just like when people were saying Evans could be a good defensive end at Auburn but that's the attitude....he's an outside lb not an end.

FWIW Coach Johnson said Owens may move back to DE in the fall. And if we don't get Rashaan Evans the staff is content only taking 2 LBs in this class.

FWIW Coach Johnson said Owens may move back to DE in the fall. And if we don't get Rashaan Evans the staff is content only taking 2 LBs in this class.

They may be willing to settle for two if they can't get a third and fourth guy they think can help them, but I don't think "content" is the feeling they'll have. The cupboard is as close to bare at the position as I've ever seen it.

Hint: Listing names that have never looked or played like an all-SEC candidate at LB does not mean we're in good shape at that position. All that is is listing names of guys that have not yet, and may never, help us win big games.

They may be willing to settle for two if they can't get a third and fourth guy they think can help them, but I don't think "content" is the feeling they'll have. The cupboard is as close to bare at the position as I've ever seen it.

Hint: Listing names that have never looked or played like an all-SEC candidate at LB does not mean we're in good shape at that position. All that is is listing names of guys that have not yet, and may never, help us win big games.

Just relaying what Bryan Matthews said. He said it came from the coaches. You can take it how you like.

Flowers, Cass, and Frost will play much different this year. Not many guys on the team played SEC caliber last year. #itsanewday

I think Flowers is going to surprise some people. He hasn't been all hyped up like some and with a dad that played in the NFL you know he KNOWS the game. He may end up starting by game 4-5 IMO.

I think Flowers is going to surprise some people. He hasn't been all hyped up like some and with a dad that played in the NFL you know he KNOWS the game. He may end up starting by game 4-5 IMO.

The AU coaches think Flowers is going to be a star LBer in the SEC. Saying that Im told AU is going to take three HS LBers and maybe one JUCO.

The AU coaches think Flowers is going to be a star LBer in the SEC. Saying that Im told AU is going to take three HS LBers and maybe one JUCO.

With Deshaun's injury that is very possible

Three HS guys and one JUCO seems about right. The only way we settle for two is if we can't sign a decent third and fourth prospect. The position is in dire need due to years of under-recruiting.

For example, last year we had four lined up that would have made AU's LB class the nation's #1. However, the coaching change caused three of them to look elsewhere. To make an omlet you have to break eggs and the coaching change was necessary. But it was unfortunate that we lost three top LB prospects from our position of greatest need.

Just relaying what Bryan Matthews said. He said it came from the coaches. You can take it how you like.

There are two or three times every year when the coaches are quoted as saying something that doesn't make any sense. Maybe they did say it, maybe it was heard wrong but in any case when I hear something that defies common sense, such as "we'll be contented to take only two linebackers this year" I just file it away as one of the several similar instances of BS we'll hear over the course of 12 months.

That is why I am so pumped about Moncrief, I think he is going to be a stud in this system. I think we have our star right now in Garrett. It is a great idea for a position in that you can have 3-4 hybrid guys that you can play depending on what the offense is putting on the field. It is a field adjustment position. We need as many of those 4-5 star players as we can get.

There are two or three times every year when the coaches are quoted as saying something that doesn't make any sense. Maybe they did say it, maybe it was heard wrong but in any case when I hear something that defies common sense, such as "we'll be contented to take only two linebackers this year" I just file it away as one of the several similar instances of BS we'll hear over the course of 12 months.

i agree ... Also if we don't get what we "want" then the coaches have only 3 things to say

1. We are happy with what we got

2. We were shooting for better but this will have to do

3. We suck at recruiting, nobody likes us and we should shut down the program.

Here's guessing that they will go with #1

• 3 weeks later...

If the mutual interest grows between SDH and Auburn throughout the season and we are able to flip him, what LB position would he be recruited to play? Would the scenario below be correct?

Tre - MLB

R.Evans - Star

D. Davis - WLB

SDH - WLB (Insurance plan for D. Davis' injury)

If the mutual interest grows between SDH and Auburn throughout the season and we are able to flip him, what LB position would he be recruited to play? Would the scenario below be correct?

Tre - MLB

R.Evans - Star

D. Davis - WLB

If we get Evans the chances are slim right now Auburn looks at SDH with more than passing interest. If we don't get Evans and therefore pursue SDH and get him the liely position scenario is

Tre MLB, SDH MLB, Davis Will. Also it is to be noted if we do not get Evans the staff is ok with only signing 2 LBs in this class at the moment.

Tre - MLB

R.Evans - Star

D. Davis - WLB

If we get Evans the chances are slim right now Auburn looks at SDH with more than passing interest. If we don't get Evans and therefore pursue SDH and get him the liely position scenario is

Tre MLB, SDH MLB, Davis Will. Also it is to be noted if we do not get Evans the staff is ok with only signing 2 LBs in this class at the moment.

That would be two guys LISTED as LB's. Moncrief and Clark (Should he hop on board and IMO he will) could both be LB's as well as S's should the need arise IMO.

Archived