2014 4* LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (Alabama signee)

Guest EagleDamnWar

Wish him the best, but I would be worried about this decision if I were him. JHoke tweeted he is a 4.0 student. He has the opportunity to turn a scholarship into a college degree and do something outside of football if it doesn't work out. But at UAT, he will not be too high on the depth chart and we all know how guys get "processed" over there. Would hate to see this guy lose a shot at a quality degree if he doesn't make a move up the depth chart.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who think that SDH "grew up an Auburn fan"... think again. His answers to reporters was that he's a big "Auburn fan" - mainly because that was his only legit offer for some time. (what's he supposed to say?)...

But, when other schools came calling, his allegiance continued to change.

***this is for the people who are upset that another life-long AU fan has committed to bammer. he's not, nor has ever been, a AU fan...

fyi.

For those who think that SDH "grew up an Auburn fan"... think again. His answers to reporters was that he's a big "Auburn fan" - mainly because that was his only legit offer for some time. (what's he supposed to say?)...

***this is for the people who are upset that another life-long AU fan has committed to bammer. he's not, nor has ever been, a AU fan...

fyi.

Exactly.

fyi.

Actually he has said many times Auburn was his childhood favorite. But with scholly limits in places people put way too much stock in that now.

Wish him the best, but I would be worried about this decision if I were him. JHoke tweeted he is a 4.0 student. He has the opportunity to turn a scholarship into a college degree and do something outside of football if it doesn't work out. But at UAT, he will not be too high on the depth chart and we all know how guys get "processed" over there. Would hate to see this guy lose a shot at a quality degree if he doesn't make a move up the depth chart.

ZLet's not fool ourselves. Where ever he may get processed to he would still get a quality FREE education.

fyi.

Actually he has said many times Auburn was his childhood favorite. But with scholly limits in places people put way too much stock in that now.

That's my point... Bone blogged the other day that SDH liked bammer as a youngster...

So, I guess it just depended on what reporter he was talking to...

fyi.

That's my point... Bone blogged the other day that SDH liked bammer as a youngster...

So, I guess it just depended on what reporter he was talking to...

Funnny Bone said that because one of my references is SDH told Bone AU was his childhood team in an article.

FWIW

‏@kkolumbo

@Smuphy fwih, he (SDH) was told on the phone that if he commits elsewhere his spot will be taken (hence the Davis offer) for good.

I like this approach personally. Maybe this is a special case and not really a divergence from the mentality of the previous staff, but I like that when this staff misses on someone we move on and get another to take their place immediately instead of holding scholarships open for people that aren't coming here. Again, one instance doesn't make a pattern, but it makes sense to me after seeing Gus's no-nonsense approach to things that once someone chooses another team, he's not waiting around for them to change their mind.

I bet the word "wait" is a cuss word in Gus's house.

FWIW

‏@kkolumbo

@Smuphy fwih, he (SDH) was told on the phone that if he commits elsewhere his spot will be taken (hence the Davis offer) for good.

I like this approach personally. Maybe this is a special case and not really a divergence from the mentality of the previous staff, but I like that when this staff misses on someone we move on and get another to take their place immediately instead of holding scholarships open for people that aren't coming here. Again, one instance doesn't make a pattern, but it makes sense to me after seeing Gus's no-nonsense approach to things that once someone chooses another team, he's not waiting around for them to change their mind.

I bet the word "wait" is a cuss word in Gus's house.

I am not sure it makes a statement across the board on philosophy. I think it's more a reflection of coaches having graded SDH slightly higher which gives them the opportunity to take Davis immediately and forget SDH. Now if there is a recruit who Auburn likes much better than the next available and feels they can flip the guy I expect the coaches may stay on said recruit.

Last recruiting season, after the new staff came in, we didn't waste any time offering someone else immediately after player #1 committed elsewhere. It certainly looks like a change in philosophy and I like it.

These guys accepting an offer until somebody else offers and then switching, to heck with 'em. Let 'em learn that once they jump off the bus, they aren't getting back on.

Last recruiting season, after the new staff came in, we didn't waste any time offering someone else immediately after player #1 committed elsewhere. It certainly looks like a change in philosophy and I like it.

These guys accepting an offer until somebody else offers and then switching, to heck with 'em. Let 'em learn that once they jump off the bus, they aren't getting back on.

We also tried to get back in on guys we lost. Namely Jarrad Davis and Tre Johnson. So I think it is a case by case basis.

Even if he commits to us now, that other coach will through out a sweet offer to Shaun in hopes of changing his mind.

Even though Shaun committed to the updykes today, I think coach Malzahn should still keep an offer on the table for Shaun and start recruiting him harder then ever.

16l02ec.jpg

We also tried to get back in on guys we lost. Namely Jarrad Davis and Tre Johnson. So I think it is a case by case basis.

I think the coaching change may have had a short term effect on their philosophy. Sure, we tried to coax guys back that didn't know the new coaches but the situation has stabilized so we can afford to play the recruiting game a little tougher.

I think the coaching change may have had a short term effect on their philosophy. Sure, we tried to coax guys back that didn't know the new coaches but the situation has stabilized so we can afford to play the recruiting game a little tougher.

As I said earlier I think it depends more on the differences in the recruits. I think if the coaches like a recruit marginally better that commits somewhere else then they let him go. If a recruit is much higher than the alternative and coaches feel they can be flipped they will keep pushing. Don't forget, they flipped 8 guys in the 2013 class.

Even if he commits to us now, that other coach will through out a sweet offer to Shaun in hopes of changing his mind.

Not happening. Davis took his spot.

Not happening. Davis took his spot.

We got a good one - they got a good one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived