Auburn's Roster next year

AuburnNTexas

To me the three big keys are:

1.) Finding a post player that can score

2.) Someone that is a threat from the outside

3.) Cut down turnovers

We aren't gonna be successful if we have to rely on Sullivan and Denson for all the scoring. We need Chubb or Dixon or someone in the post to be a threat. Personally I see the same thing as last season. A team with a bunch of new faces but no scary scoring threats that is gonna have to play near flawless basketball to win games. I just hope we can actually keep the guys we signed for more than a year

All offense. We also need guys who can

1) Guard the post

2) Force bad shots from beyond the 3 point line

3) Rebound

True I guess that's because offense to me has been our huge weakness over the years. I actually thought we played tough defense last season seeing the low scoring games. But that last point is very important. You gotta rebound. I honestly just don't see how we are gonna be any better this year than last year unless one or two of these freshman put together a very impressive first season. But seeing how every year we hype up some guys that never do anything and are gone by next season I am gonna hold off till I see them play

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me the three big keys are:

1.) Finding a post player that can score

2.) Someone that is a threat from the outside

3.) Cut down turnovers

We aren't gonna be successful if we have to rely on Sullivan and Denson for all the scoring. We need Chubb or Dixon or someone in the post to be a threat. Personally I see the same thing as last season. A team with a bunch of new faces but no scary scoring threats that is gonna have to play near flawless basketball to win games. I just hope we can actually keep the guys we signed for more than a year

All offense. We also need guys who can

1) Guard the post

2) Force bad shots from beyond the 3 point line

3) Rebound

So basically we need good basketball players...

:laugh: :laugh: Well said!

Center-Chubb, Dixon Tatum (hopefully Jordan Dickerson too)

PF- Adamu, Granger

SF- Payne, N. Johnson, S. Johnson

SG- Sullivan, Denson, Price

PG- Wallace, Greene Jr.

Hm you think Payne over Johnson? I really wish we could get Sullivan and Denson on the floor at the same time. If one of them could shift over to PG more often I think the offense would get a nice boost.

PF- Adamu, Granger

PG- Wallace, Greene Jr.

Hm you think Payne over Johnson? I really wish we could get Sullivan and Denson on the floor at the same time. If one of them could shift over to PG more often I think the offense would get a nice boost.

that wasnt a depth chart i was just listing the players. I would have Payne over Shaq Johnson dont know about him over Noel Johnson though it could go either way. Denson and Sullivan can easily and have been on the floor together you just pust Denson at SF and run a zone on defense.

PF- Adamu, Granger

PG- Wallace, Greene Jr.

that wasnt a depth chart i was just listing the players. I would have Payne over Shaq Johnson dont know about him over Noel Johnson though it could go either way. Denson and Sullivan can easily and have been on the floor together you just pust Denson at SF and run a zone on defense.

You don't think Denson or Sullivan could shift over to play point?

PF- Adamu, Granger

PG- Wallace, Greene Jr.

There is no way Denson could run point imho. He is way too reckless and not careful enough with the ball. And correct me if I am wrong AUBB, but I think at times Sullivan has been the point sometimes, just not for long stretches in a game. Sullivan is a much better fit as a wing/SG.

PF- Adamu, Granger

PG- Wallace, Greene Jr.

There is no way Denson could run point imho. He is way too reckless and not careful enough with the ball. And correct me if I am wrong AUBB, but I think at times Sullivan has been the point sometimes, just not for long stretches in a game. Sullivan is a much better fit as a wing/SG.

Correct Denson isn't a good enough ball handler or passer for point but love him as a slasher. We need Frankie shooting the ball not passing it.

PF- Adamu, Granger

PG- Wallace, Greene Jr.

Correct Denson isn't a good enough ball handler or passer for point but love him as a slasher. We need Frankie shooting the ball not passing it.

I was afraid of that.  I was just curious because that would give the option of not taking some height off of the floor by moving Denson to SF. 

Everybody forget about Brian Greene? He's a PG, and he'll probably start from Day 1.

we have been talking about him and no he wont start from day 1. maybe later in the year but a true frosh will not start over an experienced senior from day 1.

Everybody forget about Brian Greene? He's a PG, and he'll probably start from Day 1.

we have been talking about him and no he wont start from day 1. maybe later in the year but a true frosh will not start over an experienced senior from day 1.

You should play the guy who gives you the best chance of winning and makes his teammates better regardless of class.

You should play the guy who gives you the best chance of winning and makes his teammates better regardless of class.

yes i agree and at the beginning of the season experience will give you the best chance to win until Greene Jr. figures out how to play in D1 and SEC.

Barbee is going to demand that his incoming guys play SEC quality defense.  With so few scorers on the AU squad, the team will not able to give up cheap baskets to the opposition.    So, how many scorers in HS ever learn (or have) to play defense? 

JMO, but can't see any of the new guys playing many minutes until they can play agressive defense.

Barbee is going to demand that his incoming guys play SEC quality defense.  With so few scorers on the AU squad, the team will not able to give up cheap baskets to the opposition.    So, how many scorers in HS ever learn (or have) to play defense?   

JMO, but can't see any of the new guys playing many minutes until they can play agressive defense.

We have four returning players from a below .500 team.We also have the third best recruiting class in the SEC Behind Kentucky and Florida.The minutes will be there for the newcomers.We will have to wait and see if any of these Freshmen are up to the task of playing D1 and SEC defense.I say they will get their chance.If we want to get better we should put the young guys on the floor and learn early.

I basically agree....was just responding the comments that some of the incoming frosh would start from Day 1. Can't see that happening.  As noted, they likely get some playing time but done in such a way that the team's defensive effort does not suffer...much.

I basically agree....was just responding the comments that some of the incoming frosh would start from Day 1. Can't see that happening.   As noted, they likely get some playing time but done in such a way that the team's defensive effort does not suffer...much.

Yeah I agree with this until they learn how to play defense in D1 they aren't going to get starter minutes.

IMHO  two or three of the Newcomers will be starters.That is because they will outplay the returners on the floor.Like I pointed out before we are not returning a juggernut of a team.Some of these guys are upgrades.We were ranked 281st in the country in Points per game,200th in assist per game,and 254th in field goal pct. all not very good.Some of these kids are just better players then the returners regardless of experience.You want to have your best against there best.We are talking Championships here not survival.WDE!!!!!

IMO

Beginning of the season I could only see one true Freshman starting (Price) and that is a maybe.  I do see others getting significant minutes from start of the season.  As the season progresses I think Greene next becuase he is already here and from what I have read he is working hard to earn a spot.

Everybody expects Chubb to get beat out at Center - every year we expect it, yet he comes in a little bigger a little stronger and a little better each year and manages to stay as the starter. I was one of the ones predicting he would lose his starting role last year (Shows you what I know). Dixon-Tatum has potential to beat him out but last I heard he is still not on Campus the longer he is not on campus the smaller chance he has of beating out Chubb.

There is a huge difference in being a "stud" in HS where the incoming frosh were faster and bigger than the opposition.  No matter what some people think about our returning players, they are physically stronger than the frosh and have been playing against the men playing for other SEC schools.  It's a big step up for the frosh and I expect our current players will end up starting the season.   

Our best shooters were as follows (in order):

Kenny G

Frankie S

Chris Denson(really good inside)

Noel Johnson (looked really good at the end of the year... could replace kenny imo)

Robb Chubb (wasn't a great shooter in play, but lead the team in free throw % most of the year (around 85%). You can't underestimate the value of free throws!)

Varez Ward (was supposedly a good shooter and definately has potential. However, he never looked THAT impressive and missed a lot of easy shots)

Allen Payne(looked good toward the end of the season)

Who leaves off this list? Kenny (who could be replaced by Noel) and maybe Varez Ward (who didn't even shoot that well last season). Anyone else that is leaving spent most of the time riding the bench last season. Even Kouassi had limited play time and was extremely inconsistant.

Barbee brought in a really impressive recruiting class and turned a pretty weak team into a decent team last season (who nearly beat UK!). Now with this recruiting class, he has more talent than he did last year. The only position of concern right now is pg. If Ward ends up returning, that won't even be a problem.

I have every reason to believe we should be much improved next year.

Archived