Auburn's Roster next year

AuburnNTexas

Returning Players

Wallace 5'10 PG Walk on (Only Point Guard)

Denson 6'2"   SG

Chubb   6"10" C

Payne   6'6"    PF

New Players

Adamu  6"8"  PF

Dixon-Tatum  6"11"  C

Granger  6'7"  PF

Grrene    6"3"  SG

Johnson  6'5"  SG/SF

Price       6'5"  SF/SG

May pick up another player or two

My Prediction for Starting Team next Year - at least at start of the year

Chubb C

Sullivan SG

Price SF

Denson\Wallace PG

Payne F

I don't know enough about Dixon-Tatum to pick him ahead of Chubb.

Our biggest weaknesses will be lack of experience, PG and Center.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see

Sullivan PG

Price SG

Johnson SF

Chubb C

Payne F

These are my best guesses with the Turnover since last year. What are your picks?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noel Johnson also returns. My prediction for the first game is:

1. Wallace

2. Sullivan

3. Denson

4. Payne

5. Chubb

Or

1. Wallace

2. Sullivan

3. Payne

4. Chubb

5. Dixon-Tatum

^^^^ This ^^^^

I like your second choice as we get a little more size on the floor and PF is really the position Chubb Should be playing.

My personal choice:

Wallace

Price

Sullivan

Johnson or Granger (depending on which is more ready. I want the freshmen to play early and a lot because we arent getting anywhere in the postseason with this team anyways.)

Dixon-Tatum (tons more athletic than Chubb, just needs experience)

If none of the incoming players are starting by SEC play then we are in trouble. I am expecting a pretty good season but that prediction is based on some of this years class being ready to contribute in a big way. I don't believe the players on last years roster are good enough to carry this team to a tourney bid.

Can Denson not play point? I Like Wallace as a spark off the bench but he is a pretty big offensive liability to be starting at PG.

no Denson's ballhandling and passing arent good enough for point and i like him better as a wing anyway.

Not trying to knock Chubb down, but Auburn will never ever win more than 8 SEC games a year if Chubb is center for us no matter how good the other 4 players are on the court. JMO

Not trying to knock Chubb down, but Auburn will never ever win more than 8 SEC games a year if Chubb is center for us no matter how good the other 4 players are on the court. JMO

No denying Chubb is not a great Center but he is better than a lot of people give him credit for. Since getting here he has gotten bigger and stronger every year. He has added some offense to his game he has blocked some shots. Even though he is not a great rebounder he does a better job of blocking out his man then people give him credit for. Often he doesn;t get the rebound but neither does his man.  If we had a true power forward who was a monster on the boards with the other three pieces we could win more then 8 SEC games with Chubb. 

Since we have never even had two all star type players on the court with him at the same time it is hard to judge how good he could be.  Our offense has settled for long range jump shots if we were consistently slashing to the basket forcing his man to help out then he would look a lot better getting cheap rebounds and put backs as he would be uncovered.

Good players make other players look good. Good players around him would make Chubb look a lot better. One reasan Kossai didn't get more PT was he didn't beat out Chubb with all his limitations. A freshman we all thought would be able to be an impact by second half of the season still could not beat out Chubb.

Give Chubb the credit he is due for the hard  work he has put in.  Based on past performance he will be better this year than last year. As I have said before he would be an ideal backup Center or Power Forward but I am glad we have him and glad that he has put in the effort to get better every year.

No denying Chubb is not a great Center but he is better than a lot of people give him credit for. Since getting here he has gotten bigger and stronger every year. He has added some offense to his game he has blocked some shots. Even though he is not a great rebounder he does a better job of blocking out his man then people give him credit for. Often he doesn;t get the rebound but neither does his man.  If we had a true power forward who was a monster on the boards with the other three pieces we could win more then 8 SEC games with Chubb. 

Since we have never even had two all star type players on the court with him at the same time it is hard to judge how good he could be.  Our offense has settled for long range jump shots if we were consistently slashing to the basket forcing his man to help out then he would look a lot better getting cheap rebounds and put backs as he would be uncovered.

Good players make other players look good. Good players around him would make Chubb look a lot better. One reasan Kossai didn't get more PT was he didn't beat out Chubb with all his limitations. A freshman we all thought would be able to be an impact by second half of the season still could not beat out Chubb.

Give Chubb the credit he is due for the hard  work he has put in.  Based on past performance he will be better this year than last year. As I have said before he would be an ideal backup Center or Power Forward but I am glad we have him and glad that he has put in the effort to get better every year.

Good post Tex.  However Chubb will continue to be maligned and bashed for another year unless he is victim of attrition before the fall.  I'm not sure if anyone is immune from that possibility.  I agree with the blockout statement.  Chubb had several nice nice blockout moves that went for naught. No one was there to get the rebound. I think Rob is being coached to do this due to his big body and lack of quickness.  But sometimes its best to just go for the ball.

Most of those projections look a lot like the team that finished last season.....so, how will we be better than last season?  I just can't see the improvement but perhaps I'm missing something.

Most of those projections look a lot like the team that finished last season.....so, how will we be better than last season?  I just can't see the improvement but perhaps I'm missing something.

Well more experience = better play. Playing together longer = jelled team = better play. and lastly, a couple of new incomers, such as Tatum and Price, should bring a lot to the team.

But lost KG plus Langford and Ward are gone.  Sorry, I just don't see the improvement. 

Nobody shoots anywhere near 50% and other than Sullivan, most can't hit foul shots either.  Who is going to score? 

But lost KG plus Langford and Ward are gone.  Sorry, I just don't see the improvement. 

Nobody shoots anywhere near 50% and other than Sullivan, most can't hit foul shots either.  Who is going to score?   

Just try to be optimistic.  The coaches feel good about the group coming in and feel confident about the SR leadership.  Frankie is a scorer, Denson can take it to the hole every now and then, Chubb showed a few spurts last year, Greene is in the gym 25 hours a day....just be confident, happy days are headed our way. 

As Stewie Griffin once said, "Whether you believe you can or believe you can't...you're right!"

Sullivan- 38%

Denson- 46%

Chubb- 45%

Payne- 41%

Wallace - 45%

Johnson- 25% (was injured which hurt his %)

looks like everybody shoots close to 50% on the team and you arent going to find many teams where most players shoot over 50%. the team will be improved this year Langford and Ward arent very hard to be replaced. Who is going to score? thats easy! Sullivan, Denson, Chubb, N. Johnson, Price, Greene Jr. and Payne can all score with guys like Wallace, Shaq, Tatum, Granger and Adamu chipping in here and there.

To me the three big keys are:

1.) Finding a post player that can score

2.) Someone that is a threat from the outside

3.) Cut down turnovers

We aren't gonna be successful if we have to rely on Sullivan and Denson for all the scoring. We need Chubb or Dixon or someone in the post to be a threat. Personally I see the same thing as last season. A team with a bunch of new faces but no scary scoring threats that is gonna have to play near flawless basketball to win games. I just hope we can actually keep the guys we signed for more than a year

3.) Cut down turnovers

We aren't gonna be successful if we have to rely on Sullivan and Denson for all the scoring. We need Chubb or Dixon or someone in the post to be a threat. Personally I see the same thing as last season. A team with a bunch of new faces but no scary scoring threats that is gonna have to play near flawless basketball to win games. I just hope we can actually keep the guys we signed for more than a year

We need a scorer a guy who finds a way to score (Pull up jumper off dribble not just 3 pointers, drive to the rack, get fouled and make foul shots).  This will probably have to be one of the new guys.

3.) Cut down turnovers

We need a scorer a guy who finds a way to score (Pull up jumper off dribble not just 3 pointers, drive to the rack, get fouled and make foul shots).  This will probably have to be one of the new guys.

Greene Jr. is great at that pull up jumper. im telling yall and i have been all along this could is going to be a steal.

3.) Cut down turnovers

All offense. We also need guys who can

1) Guard the post

2) Force bad shots from beyond the 3 point line

3) Rebound

Sullivan- 38%

Denson- 46%

Chubb- 45%

Payne- 41%

Wallace - 45%

looks like everybody shoots close to 50% on the team and you arent going to find many teams where most players shoot over 50%. the team will be improved this year Langford and Ward arent very hard to be replaced. Who is going to score? thats easy! Sullivan, Denson, Chubb, N. Johnson, Price, Greene Jr. and Payne can all score with guys like Wallace, Shaq, Tatum, Granger and Adamu chipping in here and there.

There is a world of difference between shooting 40-42% in a game and shooting 48-50%....could be worth 15-20 points per game.

Just for the record, last season AU ranked 254th in the NCAA in FG shooting and 293rd in FT shooting.

And one last point...nearly 75 TEAMs shot better as a team than our best individual shooter did from the field.

Just saying that AU has a long way to go.  I was one of the sunshine pumpers that thought 20 wins last season was a cinch....but frankly, we have too many weaknesses....and I don't see the solutions yet. 

3.) Cut down turnovers

1) Guard the post

3) Rebound

So basically we need good basketball players...

Sullivan- 38%

Denson- 46%

Chubb- 45%

Payne- 41%

Wallace - 45%

There is a world of difference between shooting 40-42% in a game and shooting 48-50%....could be worth 15-20 points per game.

Just for the record, last season AU ranked 254th in the NCAA in FG shooting and 293rd in FT shooting.

And one last point...nearly 75 TEAMs shot better as a team than our best individual shooter did from the field.

Just saying that AU has a long way to go.  I was one of the sunshine pumpers that thought 20 wins last season was a cinch....but frankly, we have too many weaknesses....and I don't see the solutions yet. 

Nobody said we were going to be good, but we should be better when the freshmen learn the system and the speed of the game. Depending on our OOC schedule, we could have an above .500 record which was better than last year and the year before. Even though we are losing KG, Langford, and Ward, the returning players should be better and the incomers should contribute a bunch. Langford was hurt most of the season last year and Ward was being paid to mess up, so those losses shouldn't be that big of a deal. As long as we keep getting better, there is really nothing else we can ask for considering the situation Barbee started with. And i know all that attrition, etc., but i think Barbee has learned and has this program on the right track. 

3.) Cut down turnovers

1) Guard the post

3) Rebound

So basically we need good basketball players...

Lolz. Pretty much. I personally think that the attrition of this past year will certainly delay us taking the next step, but I still believe that it will happen. Barbee is still trying to claw and scratch his way to the best recruiting classes that he can get, and until you get the snowball rolling you'll hit some bumps along the way because you have to take more risks on people. Just remember though, in basketball one great player really can make the difference in the outcome of a season. I think that all of our starters will take another modest step forward this year, and the record will improve again. We may not win the national championship, but as long as we improve every year I will be happy.

Archived