National Emergency Blood Need

trout54

Guys, I know this thread will not last on the football forum for long, and I want to start by apologizing to all of the mods and members for posting this off topic subject.

That said, I know how much time I spend here and how much many of you spend here as well.  For anyone that has ever donated blood before, I emplore you to do so again ASAP.  We are currently experiencing emergency level blood shortages throughout the country as we come in to an alcohol excessive holiday week.  With excessive drinking comes an increase in accidents, and therefore an increase in blood needs.  Any of the Community Blood Banks are acceptable.  LifeSouth Community Blood Centers provides in excess of 80% of all blood products in the state of Alabama, and the American Red Cross supplies blood throughout the country. 

As college students, many of you may have donated plasma for pay at some point.  If you are willing/interested in donating to help your local hospitals, it is important to ensure you choose one of the non-profit community blood banks.  Otherwise, your blood will be used for research or cosmetics, not helping your hospitals at all.

Mods - I understand this has nothing to do with Auburn specifically, but it does have to do with "Family" in a roundabout way.  The donation you make can save the life of a friend, neighbor or family member.

As we enter the Independence day week, I wish all of the you the safest of travels and good health to all.  For those that are able, please donate blood soon.  Our hospitals and local communities are relying on us to get through this crisis.

Thank you for reading my rant, however brief it may be posted.

Again, my apologies and appreciation for those willing to help!

And if any of you know people who can make these decisions, tell them to stop charging Hospitals so much per pint. Last I heard it was somewhere near $250 a pint. I have no idea how much a hospital charges the patients. I'm sure it's outrageous though.

FYI, there is always a shortage due to lack of donations. The supply is shorter in the summer months due to the higher volume of patients.

If you happen to have the type O negative then you've got something special.

actually, what is paid for a unit of blood is much less than you suggest, and it is a service fee that covers the collections, testing, and processing of the unit of blood.  the blood products that are supplied to hospitals are provided by non-profit companies.

as for the shortages, collections are historically down during the summer months.  on that point you are correct.  however, it has little to do with increased patient flow, and more to do with less willing donors due to vacations, etc.  During the school year, blood banks rely heavily on students for a large number of their collections.  the increased heat of the summer also makes large companies (in which the employees work in the heat) less apt to host drives.  as a result, you wind up with less products on the shelves of the hospital laboratories. 

This year, however, the need for blood is worse than it has been in at least 6 years.  an awareness needs to be made to have willing donors donate.

Do you have to know your blood type to donate?  I'm 19, and I would love to donate if I can, but I have no clue what my blood type is, and my parents don't know either.  I know it isn't good to not know your blood type, but if I can donate without knowing I would love to. 

Do you have to know your blood type to donate?  I'm 19, and I would love to donate if I can, but I have no clue what my blood type is, and my parents don't know either.  I know it isn't good to not know your blood type, but if I can donate without knowing I would love to. 

Go!!  They can determine what type it is. 

The first time I went to donate (while at AU in fact!) they tested my blood then sent me a card in the mail with my type on it.  O Positive all the way! 

The first time I went to donate (while at AU in fact!) they tested my blood then sent me a card in the mail with my type on it.  O Positive all the way! 

Okay, awesome!  Thanks for the info!  What are some of the recommended places in Birmingham? 

I am giving platelets on Monday, do so about once a month.

I have given about 4 gallons of blood so far, 32 donations. Actually giving blood is good for you. It takes 4 weeks for your body to replace 1 pint of blood. So the next time you donate blood you can replace your blood in 3 weeks and the 3 time you go you can replace your blood in 2 weeks (best you can get). 6 weeks between donations, if I remember correctly.

TIPS: Eat before you donate, if you have a full stomach you will not get dizzy or pass out. I gave blood when I had an empty stomach and I almost passed out. Makes a big difference.

http://www.redcross.org/donate/give/

1-800-733 2767

Call them and they will point you in the right direction, they will call you again when it is time for you to donate again, go get in the habit of giving blood.

I am giving platelets on Monday, do so about once a month.

I have given about 4 gallons of blood so far, 32 donations. Actually giving blood is good for you. It takes 4 weeks for your body to replace 1 pint of blood. So the next time you donate blood you can replace your blood in 3 weeks and the 3 time you go you can replace your blood in 2 weeks (best you can get). 6 weeks between donations, if I remember correctly.

TIPS: Eat before you donate, if you have a full stomach you will not get dizzy or pass out. I gave blood when I had an empty stomach and I almost passed out. Makes a big difference.

http://www.redcross.org/donate/give/

1-800-733 2767

Call them and they will point you in the right direction, they will call you again when it is time for you to donate again, go get in the habit of giving blood.

Thanks for all the info! 

I give as often as I can, and another benefit is your giving covers you and your immediate family should any of you ever be in the unfortunate situation of needing blood.  The hospital will not charge you for the blood if you are a donor.

there are many upsides to giving blood if you can get past all the personal questions they ask. if you had to pay for all the tests they run at the docs office it would cost you a tidy sum. and they will contact you if something is wrong. also giving blood makes you create new blood also which is a good thing. i have been giving since 81. give if you can.

A negative and I give 2-4 times a year. Giving this weekend

Hard to know the best place in Birmingham for you since it's a pretty big city and I only know of those in my area. My office typically holds blood drives every so often, so that is usually my best option ;)

However, I have been to the donation center on Valleydale Rd near I-65. The shopping center with Jefferson's, right next to Lowe's.

Also, there is a new Red Cross Center on Caldwell Mill Rd. right next to Bruster's Ice Cream. I believe both places will allow you to make an appt. or just walk in.

Good luck!

Hard to know the best place in Birmingham for you since it's a pretty big city and I only know of those in my area.  My office typically holds blood drives every so often, so that is usually my best option  ;)

However, I have been to the donation center on Hwy 119 near I-65.  The shopping center with Jefferson's, right next to Lowe's.

Also, there is a new Red Cross Center on Caldwell Mill Rd. right next to Bruster's Ice Cream.  I believe both places will allow you to make an appt. or just walk in.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll definitely be able to check into one or two of those!

A negative and I give 2-4 times a year. Giving this weekend

Me too.  I'll go this weekend.

Oops... my first post should have said Valleydale near I-65 instead of Hwy 119.  I went back and corrected it.

Also, on my way home I saw a sign in front of the Red Cross Donation Center on Caldwell Mill Rd that says "Urgent Plea"

for Alabama, Georgia, and Florida donors, I do recommend LifeSouth, as they are the major suppliers of blood in those states (Alabama i know with certainty......83% last year).  Visit their website for a location or blood drive being held near you.  http://www.lifesouth.org/.  For any other state, I only know of Red Cross.  If you are uncertain, you can call your local hospital laboratory and ask them who provides their blood.  This is the safest way to ensure you are contributing to the "Local" supply.

As for donations, I give platelets every two weeks.  Whole blood donations can be made every 56 days, Double red blood cell donations made every 112 days, plasma donations every 28 days, and platelet donations every 14 days (not to exceed 24 per year). 

Being a male, i do not have a natural "blood letting" ability as females.  That said, donating platelets every two weeks not only saves multiple lives (I donate a triple), but it has also dramatically decreased my cholesterol count (the results of which i get 24 hours after I donate).  Normally, my cholesterol runs around 275 when unmedicated.  with medication it comes down to around 190.  the combination of medication and platelet apheresis has my cholesterol howevering in the 115 range.  it literally generates clean, virgin blood.  Not too bad of a trade off in my opinion.

Okay, awesome!  Thanks for the info!  What are some of the recommended places in Birmingham? 

If your in downtown Birmingham, UAB has a collection office on the second floor North Pavilion close to the Starbucks. Parking is validated if you wish. Not sure if it's open on weekends.

Just to keep this from sinking to the second page.  GIVE BLOOD PLEASE!

I give several times a year and just gave about three weeks ago.

I have been giving blood for years. A+ here. But I'm ineligible at the moment for a tattoo. But as soon as my time is up, I'll be at it again.

As for Where, any red cross, Life south, or just call your local hospital, they should be able to tell you where the closest donation center/mobile donation bus is in your area.

Blood is always in short supply so give often and save lives. When you give you usually can also sign up to be a "bone marrow doner" as well. Don't neglect to do this, as it could save a life as well as your blood.

War Eagle!

Archived