2013 5* QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State signee)

TigerWar

Guest jrljr

well, someone who I trust with recruiting knowledge along the atlantic coast, claims that Mitch was told he will be the only QB in the USCe class. On top of that, he says that Hackenberg is not the type of QB that Spurrier typically likes. Spurrier likes more of the football brainiac kids with decent tools, in his perfect world. This person says that Hackenberg is the prototype QB of what Loeffler would be looking for (a kid with elite tools for him to groom into an elite QB), and that Auburn would be crazy to turn away Hackenberg, under any circumstance.

Just thought I'd share info from an outsider's perspective with knowledge of that area....

^^^This^^^ But what is your personal opinion kk? Bird? Ell? we have to take him if he wants to come right?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes to recruiting kids take the most talented kids ( with character to match) and let them compete....making promises to a recruit telling them your the only qb rb ect we will take will only hurt you in the long run

I have yet to see any shred of evidence that Auburn is pursuing CH. All i've seen so far is wishful thinking among the Auburn fanbase. We have other needs in this class if we are going to compete for more championships than stockpiling QBs.

AU has one legit D1 QB currently on the team right now. "Stockpiling" is a bit of a strech here.

Exactly. I remember not too long ago we were all wondering why the coaches wanted Cam. We thought we were stacked at QB with Caudle, Rollison, and Trotter.

I have yet to see any shred of evidence that Auburn is pursuing CH. All i've seen so far is wishful thinking among the Auburn fanbase. We have other needs in this class if we are going to compete for more championships than stockpiling QBs.

AU has one legit D1 QB currently on the team right now. "Stockpiling" is a bit of a strech here.

Exactly. I remember not too long ago we were all wondering why the coaches wanted Cam. We thought we were stacked at QB with Caudle, Rollison, and Trotter.

Hey now, don't use facts in this discussion.  :P

That statement is very true. Cam was a quick fix we desperately needed early in this staff's tenure. I would like to think that we are in better shape every where after three great recruiting classes than we was when Cam was signed. I would love to get as many great players as we can get to compete for championships. To say we absolutely need CH, would be saying that our QB recruiting has been poor since 2010, and that our coaches were wrong about Frazier, Pike, JJ, Jonathan Wallace, and so on.

I am still kinda frustrated we didn't get Wilson last year. I absolutely want this kid if he wants to be a Tiger. We don't have a proven QB right now on the team. I believe Frazier will become one this season but after that it's a crapshoot. However I will say I am a huge Jeremy Johnson fan. I love to sign instate kids that grew up AU fans but Hackenberg is good and would be a shame to miss on him.

Sidebar: It is absolutely incredible the elite talent interested in Auburn. I imagine there is plenty of top talent we have had to turn away. This is a good problem to have

That statement is very true. Cam was a quick fix we desperately needed early in this staff's tenure. I would like to think that we are in better shape every where after three great recruiting classes than we was when Cam was signed. I would love to get as many great players as we can get to compete for championships. To say we absolutely need CH, would be saying that our QB recruiting has been poor since 2010, and that our coaches were wrong about Frazier, Pike, JJ, Jonathan Wallace, and so on.

I will say it if others will not.  Pike is possibly out of the program permanently.  JJ isn't even on campus until 2013.  Wallace was a signing day surprise, so we don't know much about him at this point.  Frazier has a world of potential and could possibly leave the program after the 2013 season (not saying he will).  Mosely is a solid Auburn man, but he will be out of the program after 2013.  Rollison left the program.  Trotter left the program.  Cam left the program.  I think QB recruiting is of utmost importance.  my $0.02.

I will say it if others will not.  Pike is possibly out of the program permanently.  JJ isn't even on campus until 2013.  Wallace was a signing day surprise, so we don't know much about him at this point.  Frazier has a world of potential and could possibly leave the program after the 2013 season (not saying he will).  Mosely is a solid Auburn man, but he will be out of the program after 2013.  Rollison left the program.  Trotter left the program.  Cam left the program.  I think QB recruiting is of utmost importance.  my $0.02.

:bow:

Nail, meet hammer!

Imagine if Trotter wasn't around for the bowl game last year, do we win that game?

We all have great hopes for the upcoming season, but we also have one very big achilles heel: quarterback.  I will go ahead and say what I believe others are thinking;  if KF doesn't pan out ability-wise ( which I don't think will happen), or even worse, if he goes down ( this IS a contact sport), we will be, at best, an average football team.  There are a lot of reasons Scott Loeffler is our OC, not the least of which is his QB evaluation and mentoring.  Things change daily in big-time college football, so a promise to JJ two months ago ( and I'm not at all sure it was worded exactly as it is being reported), has to be re-visited, and can be done without a cloud of dishonesty.  We may have already been looking around before the PSU news.

The coached would be crazy not to take CH. Let's be honest, Pike might not come back, and if he does, he will never play a serious down at AU more than likely with JJ and KF (and maybe JW too) on the roster with good potential. We know Moslely doesn't have the athletic tools to make us a true contender (no knock against Mosely, JMHO), so I don't see any logical reason why you would turn down one of the best if not the best HS QB's in the nation. QB has not been our best position to say the least since Jason Campbell in '04 other than that one season in '10... JMHO   :dunno:

We all have great hopes for the upcoming season, but we also have one very big achilles heel: quarterback.  I will go ahead and say what I believe others are thinking;  if KF doesn't pan out ability-wise ( which I don't think will happen), or even worse, if he goes down ( this IS a contact sport), we will be, at best, an average football team.  There are a lot of reasons Scott Loeffler is our OC, not the least of which is his QB evaluation and mentoring.  Things change daily in big-time college football, so a promise to JJ two months ago ( and I'm not at all sure it was worded exactly as it is being reported), has to be re-visited, and can be done without a cloud of dishonesty.  We may have already been looking around before the PSU news.

Very well articulated pop

The coached would be crazy not to take CH. Let's be honest, Pike might not come back, and if he does, he will never play a serious down at AU more than likely with JJ and KF (and maybe JW too) on the roster with good potential. We know Moslely doesn't have the athletic tools to make us a true contender (no knock against Mosely, JMHO), so I don't see any logical reason why you would turn down one of the best if not the best HS QB's in the nation. QB has not been our best position to say the least since Jason Campbell in '04 other than that one season in '10... JMHO   :dunno:

Are you saying that Daniel Cobb was not the last best QB AUB had????    ;D

Kind of hard to argue with that logic! I agree!

Guest jrljr

I have NO DOUBTS about Kiehl, kid is a stud. We NEED this kid though. I pray JJ becomes an All-American as well but things happen.

Well said, but I don't think we are an average team if Frazier goes down, not with the playmakers surrounding the QB position. If the O-line give Clint the time to do so, then he can be a ball distributor and make the team dynamic...we just wouldn't be as good in that case as we are with Frazier, IMO.

JJ has already articulated that he will take visits, one of which will be to LSU.  You shop, we shop and stuff....

I had a hard time believing JJ when he said that he would be the only QB in this class, Just did not seem like something that the coaches would say. I'm sure something changed in the translation from coach speak to recruit speak. But even if its true then possible changes in our current QBs would make the statement null and void and JJ should understand that.

I'm hoping JJ will allow us to take former Penn State players if they want to transfer and wants to end up at Auburn.

JJ has already articulated that he will take visits, one of which will be to LSU.  You shop, we shop and stuff....

LSU more than likely wont take JJ considering they already have 2 QB commits.

I'm hoping JJ will allow us to take former Penn State players if they want to transfer and wants to end up at Auburn.

CH is not enrolled at PSU. He is a recruit in the class of 2013 and can change his commitment like the rest of them.

If this kid wants to come to AU, I can't imagine us not taking him unless he is another Pike off of the field.  You just don't pass on talent like this especially if it comes knocking on your door.

wde

This is why you're my favorite poster on here.

I hate it when posters play favorites.....  :'(

I had a hard time believing JJ when he said that he would be the only QB in this class, Just did not seem like something that the coaches would say. I'm sure something changed in the translation from coach speak to recruit speak. But even if its true then possible changes in our current QBs would make the statement null and void and JJ should understand that.

Had Pike already been sent home when JJ committed?

I have a feeling our coaches may have said something like "we only plan to take one QB" or "you are  the only QB we planned to take". Circumstances change, plans change.

What if KF had gotten a freak Knee injury playing BB after Pike left, would that mean we still only should take one QB?

This is just the nature of big time high stakes recruiting. That is why I am hesitant to throw ethical stones at other schools when a player says they promised him he would be the only RB, LB, etc.

To paraphrase another saying, recruiting is like Making Sausage, lots of people like the end product but few would want to see it being made.

Had Pike already been sent home when JJ committed?

I have a feeling our coaches may have said something like "we only plan to take one QB" or "you are  the only QB we planned to take". Circumstances change, plans change.

What if KF had gotten a freak Knee injury playing BB after Pike left, would that mean we still only should take one QB?

This is just the nature of big time high stakes recruiting. That is why I am hesitant to throw ethical stones at other schools when a player says they promised him he would be the only RB, LB, etc.

To paraphrase another saying, recruiting is like Making Sausage, lots of people like the end product but few would want to see it being made.

No, Pike hadn't been sent home yet.  It would be foolish for our coaches to ever say "you're the only qb we are taking in this class" simply because of situations that may occur like Pike's.  Things change in the recuiting process.  For numbers sake, if Pike indeed won't be back, we may have to consider the possiblity of taking CH. 

Archived