2013 5* QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State signee)

TigerWar

I agree with TW above.  We are one injury away from a severe QB pinch.  Without knowing how the ZP situation will play out, we are just guessing anyway.  I trust the coaches will not leave us in a bind on this.

Every team is one injury away from a severe QB pinch. If we lose one we still have two maybe three with Pike this year. Next year we have another QB coming in so next year if we lose one to injury we would have between 2-4 backups depending on Pike and Mosely. IMO Mosely stays he is an Auburn man.

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think the cross state rivals would have been in a pinch last year, nor LSU or Oregon.  Looking back on our undefeated seasons of the past 20 years, one common trait is superb QB play.  It could be argued that those are the only 3 seasons where we had superb QB play for the entire season (97 could be included too i suppose although the MSU game was a bloody nightmare).  It is very important that Auburn has that.  The only two on the roster that exhibited superb QB play in HS were CM and KF.  Obviously, KF had more HS accolades.  At this point, ZP cannot be counted on to fetch a cup of coffee (sad truth until we see otherwise) and he was not a superb QB in HS.  As a matter of fact, he did not participate in his HS finale because of discipline issues.  Going into 2013, it is possible that we have only KF or CM and behind them we would have JW (whom from all accounts is working hard on his craft to improve everyday.  Nevertheless, we are all fooling ourselves if we are holding him in as high esteem as KF based on HS careers).  After that we would have a pool of true freshman.  I would prefer to see that pool expanded should ZP never make it back to campus.     

I think bama would have been in big trouble if McCarron went down and Oregon the same if D. Thomas went down.  LSU - not so much, they were winning despite awful QB play.  Do you think a freshman B. Cox could have stepped in for Campbell in 04 and had the same results?  What about Trotter or Mosely in '10?

'10 would have been N. Caudle. He would have been decent in my opinion.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No i don't believe UAT would have missed a beat without McCarron.  Sims would have been fine for them.  I think Bryan Bennett could have stepped in and filled the gap well for Darron Thomas.  No I don't think that Cox (as a FR) could have replaced Campbell and I don't think anyone could have filled Cam's shoes, period. 

My intentions with the comment above was to illustrate QB play at Auburn in the past 20 years.  We have only been privy to a few great years imo and we almost always have a drop for a year after one of the better QBs leaves the program (except the bowden years from 93-97).  I would hope to stop that trend by recruiting more quality QBs in the future.  At this point, with whatever shakes out between KF and CM (5 career starts between them), we have unproven, untested and not too highly regarded prospects behind them.  While recruiting services are not always accurate, qb ratings are a little easier for them to gauge than say OL/DL. 

I agree with TW above.  We are one injury away from a severe QB pinch.  Without knowing how the ZP situation will play out, we are just guessing anyway.  I trust the coaches will not leave us in a bind on this.

Every team is one injury away from a severe QB pinch. If we lose one we still have two maybe three with Pike this year. Next year we have another QB coming in so next year if we lose one to injury we would have between 2-4 backups depending on Pike and Mosely. IMO Mosely stays he is an Auburn man.

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think the cross state rivals would have been in a pinch last year, nor LSU or Oregon.  Looking back on our undefeated seasons of the past 20 years, one common trait is superb QB play.  It could be argued that those are the only 3 seasons where we had superb QB play for the entire season (97 could be included too i suppose although the MSU game was a bloody nightmare).  It is very important that Auburn has that.  The only two on the roster that exhibited superb QB play in HS were CM and KF.  Obviously, KF had more HS accolades.  At this point, ZP cannot be counted on to fetch a cup of coffee (sad truth until we see otherwise) and he was not a superb QB in HS.  As a matter of fact, he did not participate in his HS finale because of discipline issues.  Going into 2013, it is possible that we have only KF or CM and behind them we would have JW (whom from all accounts is working hard on his craft to improve everyday.  Nevertheless, we are all fooling ourselves if we are holding him in as high esteem as KF based on HS careers).  After that we would have a pool of true freshman.  I would prefer to see that pool expanded should ZP never make it back to campus.     

I think bama would have been in big trouble if McCarron went down and Oregon the same if D. Thomas went down.  LSU - not so much, they were winning despite awful QB play.  Do you think a freshman B. Cox could have stepped in for Campbell in 04 and had the same results?  What about Trotter or Mosely in '10?

'10 would have been N. Caudle. He would have been decent in my opinion.

I can't believe I made that mistake  :-[

No i don't believe UAT would have missed a beat without McCarron.  Sims would have been fine for them.  I think Bryan Bennett could have stepped in and filled the gap well for Darron Thomas.  No I don't think that Cox (as a FR) could have replaced Campbell and I don't think anyone could have filled Cam's shoes, period. 

My intentions with the comment above was to illustrate QB play at Auburn in the past 20 years.  We have only been privy to a few great years imo and we almost always have a drop for a year after one of the better QBs leaves the program (except the bowden years from 93-97).  I would hope to stop that trend by recruiting more quality QBs in the future.  At this point, with whatever shakes out between KF and CM (5 career starts between them), we have unproven, untested and not too highly regarded prospects behind them.  While recruiting services are not always accurate, qb ratings are a little easier for them to gauge than say OL/DL.   

Gotcha.  I would like to see the talent pool expanded too, as long as it doesn't take away other positions of need.  More competition is always a good thing.

We all have great hopes for the upcoming season, but we also have one very big achilles heel: quarterback.  I will go ahead and say what I believe others are thinking;  if KF doesn't pan out ability-wise ( which I don't think will happen), or even worse, if he goes down ( this IS a contact sport), we will be, at best, an average football team.  There are a lot of reasons Scott Loeffler is our OC, not the least of which is his QB evaluation and mentoring.  Things change daily in big-time college football, so a promise to JJ two months ago ( and I'm not at all sure it was worded exactly as it is being reported), has to be re-visited, and can be done without a cloud of dishonesty.  We may have already been looking around before the PSU news.

Well said, but I don't think we are an average team if Frazier goes down, not with the playmakers surrounding the QB position. If the O-line give Clint the time to do so, then he can be a ball distributor and make the team dynamic...we just wouldn't be as good in that case as we are with Frazier, IMO.

We're very average with any qb quarterback under center other than KF. He brings a whole new dimension to the offense. Our qb situation is scary.

Can't agree with that. The QB to replace Frazier might be average, but the talent at every single other position on the field is outstanding. If you think that has to make for an average team, then I don't know what else to tell you.

:believe:

According to Rivals, Auburn will not be looking to sign Hackenberg.

That's perplexing.

We already have two commits at QB.  Frazier has at least two more years left.  Zeke (>50% chance he comes back) is also in the mix.  Qb is not a position of need.  This is all from rivals who have contacts with coaching staff. This is not my opinion.

We see things much differently. IF KF goes down, we really aren't in great shape. We have promised a young man a shot at QB, but from everything I have read he will probably end up at another position. I just don't see how QB is not a position of need for us. This young man will not be on campus until KF is a Jr., which may be his last year with us. By signing just one QB a year , and then having the ZP sitaution, well that can put you in a hole real quick.

Let's say we fast forward to next season with Frazier (Jr), Pike (soph), Wallace (soph), and two freshman in Johnson and Smith.  If Frazier gets hurt, pike would get the backup regardless of who we have as our freshman.  Pike would be a much better option then any of the Freshman QB even if it was Hackenberg.  Then say Pike does bad or gets hurt, then you have either Wallace or Johnson.  (Assuming Smith ends up somewhere else).  In the coaches mind, Johnson is equally as good as Hackenberg or maybe better.  It would take 3 QB to go down before we end up with Wallace or Smith taking the reigns.  At that point, Hackenberg would be helpful.

Now if Pike doesn't return there could be trouble with our QB depth.  I think the coaches would rather save the last spot for a position more in need

What position are we in need of more than QB? IMO none other than LB which is being addressed emphatically in this 2013 class.

I don't see any way we would not take a committment from Hackenberg, we missed out on all our top QB recruits and then got a safe committ from JJ, who I think has the physical tools to be a good QB one day, but simply isn't on the same level as Hackenberg or our other recruits we missed out on.

On another note, I would be blown away if Wallace ever takes a snap under center in a game.

I don't see any way we would not take a committment from Hackenberg, we missed out on all our top QB recruits and then got a safe committ from JJ, who I think has the physical tools to be a good QB one day, but simply isn't on the same level as Hackenberg or our other recruits we missed out on.

On another note, I would be blown away if Wallace ever takes a snap under center in a game.

Did u see the coaches board for who the number one QB prospect was? Exactly who did Auburn miss on? ...and were either if these alleged misses that much better than Johnson..I know Rettig went to LSU after JJ committed here, and Bateman went to UA a month or so before JJ committed......I just don't know who AU missed on...but I know JJ had been on Auburns radar since he was a sophomore...

Did u see the coaches board for who the number one QB prospect was? Exactly who did Auburn miss on? ...and were either if these alleged misses that much better than Johnson..I know Rettig went to LSU after JJ committed here, and Bateman went to UA a month or so before JJ committed......I just don't know who AU missed on...but I know JJ had been on Auburns radar since he was a sophomore...

KKolumbo did some great work with the QBs we wanted......I suggest you reade his article and follow it blindly.

Guys, this isn't a discussion about Hackenberg.  This is a discussion about if AU should take another QB or not.  I know the topics are related, but can we make these separate threads mods? 

Hayden Rettig who committed to LSU only did so after Jeremy committed to us. I was told he really wanted to come to Auburn.

I think many are missing the point on Pike. He has been suspended or disciplined at least three times in the last 12 months. Whether he comes back to the team this time is somewhat irrelevant. What we should be considering is given his discipline issues do we think he will be at Auburn long term--which logically is very doubtful at present.

Even if Zeke does come back, he'll be in coach Chizik's dog house for a long while. That being said, I don't think he'll on the Plains 3 years. I hope I'm wrong and he gets his head on right so he can become a "true Auburn man."

We all have great hopes for the upcoming season, but we also have one very big achilles heel: quarterback.  I will go ahead and say what I believe others are thinking;  if KF doesn't pan out ability-wise ( which I don't think will happen), or even worse, if he goes down ( this IS a contact sport), we will be, at best, an average football team.  There are a lot of reasons Scott Loeffler is our OC, not the least of which is his QB evaluation and mentoring.  Things change daily in big-time college football, so a promise to JJ two months ago ( and I'm not at all sure it was worded exactly as it is being reported), has to be re-visited, and can be done without a cloud of dishonesty.  We may have already been looking around before the PSU news.

Well said, but I don't think we are an average team if Frazier goes down, not with the playmakers surrounding the QB position. If the O-line give Clint the time to do so, then he can be a ball distributor and make the team dynamic...we just wouldn't be as good in that case as we are with Frazier, IMO.

We're very average with any qb quarterback under center other than KF. He brings a whole new dimension to the offense. Our qb situation is scary.

Can't agree with that. The QB to replace Frazier might be average, but the talent at every single other position on the field is outstanding. If you think that has to make for an average team, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Not that it matters or is relevant to this thread but I see where TigerWar is coming from. I think that the QB play is so crucial every year but esp with this relatively inexperienced O. If we don't have the added dimension that KF brings, I too am very concerned about us being able to move the ball. I'm hopeful that CSL has  helped improve his passing performance and he will be the man.

I have full confidence in this staff to build a consistent winner. They won a championship in their 2nd season, so they know what it takes to get the job done.

They are bringing in the right players to win with. We as fans just have to trust that.

Since the NCAA has ruled that PSU commits or existing players can go any where they want and the team that receives them can exceed the 85 player limit, then why would we not take a look to see if there is any talent that we could use immediately or in the case of recruits we could use to build for the future...... IMO JJ is solid to AUB and JS will not be QB (unless ZP does not return) but will play another position. That leaves the ZP drama and CM, we are weak at QB and we need to capitalize on opportunities like this they do not come along very often...

Since the NCAA has ruled that PSU commits or existing players can go any where they want and the team that receives them can exceed the 85 player limit, then why would we not take a look to see if there is any talent that we could use immediately or in the case of recruits we could use to build for the future...... IMO JJ is solid to AUB and JS will not be QB (unless ZP does not return) but will play another position. That leaves the ZP drama and CM, we are weak at QB and we need to capitalize on opportunities like this they do not come along very often...

The 85 limit exemption is only for team that get current PSU players on the roster. Teams that take current PSU commits are still bound by the 85 limit...To answer your question, many teams will shy away from from taking current PSU players because the NCAA put in a safeguard to keep teams from hoarding the PSU by the over/under proportional rule they put in for this unique situation. In taking PSU players this year how many over 85 they are then they have to be that number under 85 next season. For example, if a team takes 5 PSU players and are at 90 then they have to be at 80 scholly players next season. I do not believe there is a team out there willing to handicap themselves that badly.

Hopefully Christian will visist Auburn and fall in love with everything he sees. Then after he gets back home, he'll give us his commitment.

The 85 limit exemption is only for team that get current PSU players on the roster. Teams that take current PSU commits are still bound by the 85 limit...To answer your question, many teams will shy away from from taking current PSU players because the NCAA put in a safeguard to keep teams from hoarding the PSU by the over/under proportional rule they put in for this unique situation. In taking PSU players this year how many over 85 they are then they have to be that number under 85 next season. For example, if a team takes 5 PSU players and are at 90 then they have to be at 80 scholly players next season. I do not believe there is a team out there willing to handicap themselves that badly.

Well that certainly clarifies things a bit... I am with you on this, maybe we should just review their 2013 recruits.  However, I still feel that QB is major hole for AUB right now and if CH is interested I feel the coaches will entertain him as a possible target.

New article by ESPN on Hackenberg.  Will visit PSU and talk to Coach O'Brien.  Will have a decision by August 7th in regards to his commitment at PSU.  Would not name schools he is interested in.  Also says the Hackenbergs "felt a bit of shock" by the sanctions.

New article by ESPN on Hackenberg.  Will visit PSU and talk to Coach O'Brien.  Will have a decision by August 7th in regards to his commitment at PSU.  Would not name schools he is interested in.  Also says the Hackenbergs "felt a bit of shock" by the sanctions.

It's a little late to put the cat back in the bag now. Of course he could add a few schools.

SIAP, but I was looking on the rivals page for CH and it still has him as a commit to PSU but in the box it has us with Medium interest but still no offer. I, for one, want to add this kid, I think he would look great in O&B!

Archived