2013 5* QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State signee)

TigerWar

My greatest fear on the QBs is what if KF wins the starting job, Mosley decides to transfer and then KF gets hurt during the season. Then what are we going to do? I dont see Pike being ready to play this season. All indications are that he is talented but raw. Even JJ is supposed to be a bit raw from what i read in terms of his drop back passing ability. After KF, these other QB options do not have the pedigree that KF had coming in.

Based on that, i wouldnt mind seeing the coaches going after Christian, but only if they talk to JJ first since they supposedly told him they were not taking any more QBs.

I would not be surprised if the rumor about our coaches telling JJ he would be our only QB signee was an excuse made up by some fans for why AU missed out on some other top QB targets.  The only people that would really know that info is the coaches and JJ.  And maybe it has been confirmed and I didn't see it but until JJ or the coaches talk about that agreement then it is just another internet rumor.  Besides the last I looked we already have another committed QB recruit and I'm pretty confident that JJ knows.

At the time JJ commuted there were 3qbs on roster, not mentioning Wallace. I can see this being a factual statement. The only QB I would say AU missed may have been Bateman. AU wanted JJ and JJ wanted AU...the key for this season will be Moseley and what he does if he is not the starter......I will say I trust the coaches have a better approach on the depth chart as it related to QB. I fully expect Zeke back by Aug 1....jmho

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the chances that Zeke will still be a part of this team come 9/1/12?

"Ask again later"

I use the Magic 8 Ball for a lot of my more difficult life decisions too.

Here's the the quote from May 20:

“(Loeffler) said I’m the ‘chosen one,’” Johnson said. “He said they told the other four or five quarterbacks that they were talking to that I’m the chosen one. I’m the only quarterback that they’re (signing). They’re not going to take any other quarterbacks.”

And here's the whole article from Jay Tate at The Montgomery Advertiser:

http://madvertiserblogs.com/HABOTN/2012/05/20/auburn-looks-to-montgomery-for-a-qb/

Here's the the quote from May 20:

“(Loeffler) said I’m the ‘chosen one,’” Johnson said. “He said they told the other four or five quarterbacks that they were talking to that I’m the chosen one. I’m the only quarterback that they’re (signing). They’re not going to take any other quarterbacks.”

And here's the whole article from Jay Tate at The Montgomery Advertiser:

http://madvertiserblogs.com/HABOTN/2012/05/20/auburn-looks-to-montgomery-for-a-qb/

Ahh first time I have seen that version. Sounds like coach speak considering at the time at least some of those other 4 or 5 QBs had already committed to other schools.  But I can see where the coaches would need to clear up any misgivings with JJ before offering another QB.  Thanks for digging that up.

What are the chances that Zeke will still be a part of this team come 9/1/12?

"Ask again later"

I use the Magic 8 Ball for a lot of my more difficult life decisions too.

:laugh: :laugh:

If that's what was said, it has to be honored.  A lot riding on Zeke getting his act together and Wallace developing.  Not worried about Clint.  He'll do his best, which is probably better than last year.

If that's what was said, it has to be honored. 

Not always true, as we all know things have changed since that conversation.  Like said, you almost don't want your commit to be the guy affected by another in the same position to come in in the same class.  Competition! 

If that's what was said, it has to be honored.  A lot riding on Zeke getting his act together and Wallace developing.  Not worried about Clint.  He'll do his best, which is probably better than last year.

Well since he said that we already have signed another QB, so... I'm not sure what to think about what Johnson said. There are a number of explanations.

No way. Things have changed with our QB situation, and it's Chizik's job to put the best team on the field to win championships. If there is a risk of us losing Mosley to transfer and/or Pike, then Johnson will have to understand that we can't get by with only 1 true QB in this class.

No way. Things have changed with our QB situation, and it's Chizik's job to put the best team on the field to win championships. If there is a risk of us losing Mosley to transfer and/or Pike, then Johnson will have to understand that we can't get by with only 1 true QB in this class.

100% agree. The situation is different and when things change, CGC must make changes in order to prepare the team. I do not doubt what JJ was told, at the same time, it's a different ballgame now.

Totally agree.  A lot has changed already since CSL made that comment.  Pike sent home, Mosley transfer possible.... As a coach, you do what's best for the team.  If we see the need to add another Qb due to attrition, they will have no choice but to snag another Qb in this class.  

First of all it is almost August no way Clint will transfer this year. So this year we have KF, Clint and Wallace another QB signing this year won't help this year. So the real question is what will happen next year. From what I have read Wallace though a walk-on has shown out well so next year we should have a proven starter KF, and two QB's Mosely and Wallace who will each have a year in the new system under their belt, you will have an extremely talented but raw freshman and we might have Pike.

All I have ever heard about Mosely is that he is an Auburn man, Hackenberg may be ESPN's #1 but Rivals has him around number 8 and not that much higher than our current commit. While I am sure our coach's will talk with him if he is available  I doubt he will be a priority at this time.

We are in the Doldrums of summer waiting for the season to start and with all the sparetime people have we are creating a tempest in a teapot over our QB situation.  If things actually change (not fan conjecture) Mosely announces he is leaving that could change things till than I am going back to waiting for the first practice to give us something real to talk about and the first game which I think could be the game that decides how good this team will be. A solid O-line performance and a dominant D-Line performance would set this team up for the year.

First of all it is almost August no way Clint will transfer this year. So this year we have KF, Clint and Wallace another QB signing this year won't help this year. So the real question is what will happen next year. From what I have read Wallace though a walk-on has shown out well so next year we should have a proven starter KF, and two QB's Mosely and Wallace who will each have a year in the new system under their belt, you will have an extremely talented but raw freshman and we might have Pike.

All I have ever heard about Mosely is that he is an Auburn man, Hackenberg may be ESPN's #1 but Rivals has him around number 8 and not that much higher than our current commit. While I am sure our coach's will talk with him if he is available  I doubt he will be a priority at this time.

We are in the Doldrums of summer waiting for the season to start and with all the sparetime people have we are creating a tempest in a teapot over our QB situation.  If things actually change (not fan conjecture) Mosely announces he is leaving that could change things till than I am going back to waiting for the first practice to give us something real to talk about and the first game which I think could be the game that decides how good this team will be. A solid O-line performance and a dominant D-Line performance would set this team up for the year.

Wallace is not a walk on

We all have great hopes for the upcoming season, but we also have one very big achilles heel: quarterback.  I will go ahead and say what I believe others are thinking;  if KF doesn't pan out ability-wise ( which I don't think will happen), or even worse, if he goes down ( this IS a contact sport), we will be, at best, an average football team.  There are a lot of reasons Scott Loeffler is our OC, not the least of which is his QB evaluation and mentoring.  Things change daily in big-time college football, so a promise to JJ two months ago ( and I'm not at all sure it was worded exactly as it is being reported), has to be re-visited, and can be done without a cloud of dishonesty.  We may have already been looking around before the PSU news.

Well said, but I don't think we are an average team if Frazier goes down, not with the playmakers surrounding the QB position. If the O-line give Clint the time to do so, then he can be a ball distributor and make the team dynamic...we just wouldn't be as good in that case as we are with Frazier, IMO.

We're very average with any qb quarterback under center other than KF. He brings a whole new dimension to the offense. Our qb situation is scary.

No.  A promise is a promise, if it was made.  I would never accept one from anybody with the proviso that it is off ifg "things change".  Who is to say when things change.   

I agree with TW above.  We are one injury away from a severe QB pinch.  Without knowing how the ZP situation will play out, we are just guessing anyway.  I trust the coaches will not leave us in a bind on this.

No.  A promise is a promise, if it was made.  I would never accept one from anybody with the proviso that it is off ifg "things change".  Who is to say when things change.   

Nobody but JJ should be understanding if the coaches want another QB if Zeke does not come back.

We don't have room in this class to take another QB.  Everyone is going overboard on the ranking of Hackenberg.  IMO, coaches won't show interest unless something happens with Pike.

We don't have room in this class to take another QB.  Everyone is going overboard on the ranking of Hackenberg.  IMO, coaches won't show interest unless something happens with Pike.

That has always been the case and something may happen or be known in a few weeks.

:thumbsup:

That has always been the case and something may happen or be known in a few weeks.

:thumbsup:

Wallace is not a walk on

I checked my facts and found out he was a late switch from UCF  and sign with Auburn last year. Thank you for keeping me straight. While not as highly rated as many others all I have read is that he has worked really hard and has shown promise. He is a legitimate option if Pike does not come back and we are not hurting as much as many seem to think.

I agree with TW above.  We are one injury away from a severe QB pinch.  Without knowing how the ZP situation will play out, we are just guessing anyway.  I trust the coaches will not leave us in a bind on this.

Every team is one injury away from a severe QB pinch. If we lose one we still have two maybe three with Pike this year. Next year we have another QB coming in so next year if we lose one to injury we would have between 2-4 backups depending on Pike and Mosely. IMO Mosely stays he is an Auburn man.

Every team is one injury away from a severe QB pinch. If we lose one we still have two maybe three with Pike this year. Next year we have another QB coming in so next year if we lose one to injury we would have between 2-4 backups depending on Pike and Mosely. IMO Mosely stays he is an Auburn man.

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think the cross state rivals would have been in a pinch last year, nor LSU or Oregon.  Looking back on our undefeated seasons of the past 20 years, one common trait is superb QB play.  It could be argued that those are the only 3 seasons where we had superb QB play for the entire season (97 could be included too i suppose although the MSU game was a bloody nightmare).  It is very important that Auburn has that.  The only two on the roster that exhibited superb QB play in HS were CM and KF.  Obviously, KF had more HS accolades.  At this point, ZP cannot be counted on to fetch a cup of coffee (sad truth until we see otherwise) and he was not a superb QB in HS.  As a matter of fact, he did not participate in his HS finale because of discipline issues.  Going into 2013, it is possible that we have only KF or CM and behind them we would have JW (whom from all accounts is working hard on his craft to improve everyday.  Nevertheless, we are all fooling ourselves if we are holding him in as high esteem as KF based on HS careers).  After that we would have a pool of true freshman.  I would prefer to see that pool expanded should ZP never make it back to campus.     

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think the cross state rivals would have been in a pinch last year, nor LSU or Oregon.  Looking back on our undefeated seasons of the past 20 years, one common trait is superb QB play.  It could be argued that those are the only 3 seasons where we had superb QB play for the entire season (97 could be included too i suppose although the MSU game was a bloody nightmare).  It is very important that Auburn has that.  The only two on the roster that exhibited superb QB play in HS were CM and KF.  Obviously, KF had more HS accolades.  At this point, ZP cannot be counted on to fetch a cup of coffee (sad truth until we see otherwise) and he was not a superb QB in HS.  As a matter of fact, he did not participate in his HS finale because of discipline issues.  Going into 2013, it is possible that we have only KF or CM and behind them we would have JW (whom from all accounts is working hard on his craft to improve everyday.  Nevertheless, we are all fooling ourselves if we are holding him in as high esteem as KF based on HS careers).  After that we would have a pool of true freshman.  I would prefer to see that pool expanded should ZP never make it back to campus.     

I think bama would have been in big trouble if McCarron went down and Oregon the same if D. Thomas went down.  LSU - not so much, they were winning despite awful QB play.  Do you think a freshman B. Cox could have stepped in for Campbell in 04 and had the same results?  What about Trotter or Mosely in '10?

Archived