2013 5* QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State signee)

TigerWar

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still feel for the players,coaches,and fans who had nothing to do with this disgusting act. I understand the university needs to be punished,but at the sametime this is gonna set that football program back for years. The NCAA was in a tough spot with this one,but I do think this is the only way it could be handled

Expect Hackenberg to open it up now that PSU is on a 4 year Bowl Ban.

A 4 year bowl ban would be tough to walk in on as an initial counter, that's for sure.  You would have to really want to play for PSU and nobody else, to do that as a high profile player.

... and then there is the 4 years of a 15 limit on initial counters.

If we aren't confident that Pike is coming back or if Moseley is planning to transfer if he doesn't win the job, then we need to try and sign this kid.

Otherwise, we keep our word to Jeremy Johnson and only take him as our true QB for the class. Johnson is a stud with a huge arm, huge frame, and huge upside.

I don't really want us to make any rush decisions here if we decide to look at PSU players. I love JJ and the way our recruiting is going so far, I don't want this PSU scenario to become a distraction that will mess up our recruiting chemistry for the 2013 class.

If the coaches consider taking him then they know more about our quarterback situation with Pike and Mosley than we do.

If the coaches consider taking him then they know more about our quarterback situation with Pike and Mosley than we do.

^^^this^^^  If we pursue, then there is a reason.

If I was Pike, I would be on the road to Auburn right now, hoping that when I got there, Coach Chizik would give me 2 minutes to beg him to come back today. 

I'm not even sure why Mosley would be relevant to taking another qb. He would be a senior during Johnson/Hackenberg's freshman (rs at that) year.  :dunno: 

I am probably wrong..mainly b/c I am approx 40% football retarded and I drink ALOT.  But in my opinion (unless some disaster occurs), I don't think Moseley and/ or Pike will play large roles in Loeffler's offense moving forward.  Again, just my opinion. 

If I was Pike, I would be on the road to Auburn right now, hoping that when I got there, Coach Chizik would give me 2 minutes to beg him to come back today. 

This would not be a very good idea.

I have yet to see any shred of evidence that Auburn is pursuing CH. All i've seen so far is wishful thinking among the Auburn fanbase. We have other needs in this class if we are going to compete for more championships than stockpiling QBs.

I definitely think this will be ran by JJ with the coaches before anything happens. QB is the one position I don't mind/blame recruits for wanting to be the only one taken at their position. Basically every other position you can rotate in and get some good reps regardless of if you are not the starter. QB is obviously not the case, if you aren't starting you are riding the pine. I don't think the coaches will risk losing JJ even if they knew for sure they were going to get this kid. I would love to have him though because he is a good kid with loads of talent.

I have yet to see any shred of evidence that Auburn is pursuing CH. All i've seen so far is wishful thinking among the Auburn fanbase. We have other needs in this class if we are going to compete for more championships than stockpiling QBs.

AU has one legit D1 QB currently on the team right now. "Stockpiling" is a bit of a strech here.

AU has one legit D1 QB currently on the team right now. "Stockpiling" is a bit of a strech here.

That is a matter of opinion. If that is indeed true, our staff has recruited poorly at the QB position.

Christian himself was quoted as saying that he wants to play in a bowl and if that's taken away at PSU then he stated he's going to open his recruitment back up and the first two schools he's going to call is USCe and Auburn, so not sure that a bunch of grown men are sitting around pulling this stuff out of their butt.

See above.

Beat me to it.

If we aren't confident that Pike is coming back or if Moseley is planning to transfer if he doesn't win the job, then we need to try and sign this kid.

Otherwise, we keep our word to Jeremy Johnson and only take him as our true QB for the class. Johnson is a stud with a huge arm, huge frame, and huge upside.

^^^TRUE^^^  Don't be surprised if AUB is talking to CH...

Christian himself was quoted as saying that he wants to play in a bowl and if that's taken away at PSU then he stated he's going to open his recruitment back up and the first two schools he's going to call is USCe and Auburn, so not sure that a bunch of grown men are sitting around pulling this stuff out of their butt.

Yes but technically that is him interested in Auburn but not Auburn necessarily interested in him, which was the point in the post you quoted.

Guest jrljr

I'm pulling for JJ every bit as the next guy, but I just don't see how we can afford to tell the #1 ranked QB in the nation,  thanks but no thanks, we're good here. when you get to the SEC you have to put your big boy pants on. Surely JJ is NOT that fickle. I would personally be concerned if HE were.

Yes but technically that is him interested in Auburn but not Auburn necessarily interested in him, which was the point in the post you quoted.

With our current quarterback depth, potential projects at the position and the recent Pike developments, I'd be willing to bet a lemonade that Auburn's very interested, but I've been terribly wrong before. By the way, I don't think the #1 qb in the nation is going to mention Auburn unless they have shown him any interest in the past.

This would not be a very good idea.

Ha!  You think he has a better chance staying on the team by staying home, while the nation's #1 QB recruit may be inclined to sign with Auburn?

With our current quarterback depth, potential projects at the position and the recent Pike developments, I'd be willing to bet a lemonade that Auburn's very interested, but I've been terribly wrong before. By the way, I don't think the #1 qb in the nation is going to mention Auburn unless they have shown him any interest in the past.

I don't know...Dropping team names is what many recruits do best. Don't get me wrong. I am very interested in CH but I am not going to assume our coaches feel that way until it is reported.

well, someone who I trust with recruiting knowledge along the atlantic coast, claims that Mitch was told he will be the only QB in the USCe class. On top of that, he says that Hackenberg is not the type of QB that Spurrier typically likes. Spurrier likes more of the football brainiac kids with decent tools, in his perfect world. This person says that Hackenberg is the prototype QB of what Loeffler would be looking for (a kid with elite tools for him to groom into an elite QB), and that Auburn would be crazy to turn away Hackenberg, under any circumstance.

Just thought I'd share info from an outsider's perspective with knowledge of that area....

Archived