2013 5* QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State signee)

TigerWar

If this kid wants to come to AU, I can't imagine us not taking him unless he is another Pike off of the field.  You just don't pass on talent like this especially if it comes knocking on your door.

wde

He is not, CH is very much squared away off the field.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all of the kids we are recruiting are competitors.  I don't think that JJ would decommit if we signed another QB.  I would hope that all of these kids don't want starting jobs handed to them, you have to earn them.  Isn't that what the coaches say?  The great thing about our staff is that the best players play, period.  If I was a QB committed to AU and they decided to sign another guy, that wouldn't bother me at all.  You have to beat out your competition for the starting gig, regardless of what their perceived ability is when they sign.

I'm hoping JJ will allow us to take former Penn State players if they want to transfer and wants to end up at Auburn.

This is why you're my favorite poster on here.

I hate it when posters play favorites.....  :'(

MSG, you're one of my favorites.  ;D

well, someone who I trust with recruiting knowledge along the atlantic coast, claims that Mitch was told he will be the only QB in the USCe class. On top of that, he says that Hackenberg is not the type of QB that Spurrier typically likes. Spurrier likes more of the football brainiac kids with decent tools, in his perfect world. This person says that Hackenberg is the prototype QB of what Loeffler would be looking for (a kid with elite tools for him to groom into an elite QB), and that Auburn would be crazy to turn away Hackenberg, under any circumstance.

Just thought I'd share info from an outsider's perspective with knowledge of that area....

^^^This^^^ But what is your personal opinion kk? Bird? Ell? we have to take him if he wants to come right?

For me the answer is yes IF Pike does not come back. Otherwise I believe in honoring current agreements with players and recruits so then I would say no even thought I like Hack better than JJ and ZP.

I'm hoping JJ will allow us to take former Penn State players if they want to transfer and wants to end up at Auburn.

That's very thoughtful bird.

but I thought I ...............you cheater.

We all have great hopes for the upcoming season, but we also have one very big achilles heel: quarterback.  I will go ahead and say what I believe others are thinking;  if KF doesn't pan out ability-wise ( which I don't think will happen), or even worse, if he goes down ( this IS a contact sport), we will be, at best, an average football team.  There are a lot of reasons Scott Loeffler is our OC, not the least of which is his QB evaluation and mentoring.  Things change daily in big-time college football, so a promise to JJ two months ago ( and I'm not at all sure it was worded exactly as it is being reported), has to be re-visited, and can be done without a cloud of dishonesty.  We may have already been looking around before the PSU news.

JJ has already articulated that he will take visits, one of which will be to LSU.  You shop, we shop and stuff....

Penn ST fans say he is gone. 247 elite 11 article posters say with four year bowl sanctions 0% he stays..

By the way he was runner up for MVP.

According to Rivals, Auburn will not be looking to sign Hackenberg.

Let's wait a month on that.

Let's wait a month on that.

I see nothing incorrect about the statement...as long as it states "according to Rivals" :laugh:  :laugh:

That is very a strong if not odd statement by Rivals. Considering our current QB depth and CH's great showing at camps it would make sense to offer him. It would be outlandish to believe that every current commit will sign in Feb and that we won't have room for ESPNs number 1 rated HS QB.

That's perplexing.

We already have two commits at QB.  Frazier has at least two more years left.  Zeke (>50% chance he comes back) is also in the mix.  Qb is not a position of need.  This is all from rivals who have contacts with coaching staff. This is not my opinion.

That's perplexing.

We already have two commits at QB.  Frazier has at least two more years left.  Zeke (>50% chance he comes back) is also in the mix.  Qb is not a position of need.  This is all from rivals who have contacts with coaching staff. This is not my opinion.

I read the same thing. Hoke also said he expects Pike and Rose to return. Hoke said if we pursue any Penn State players that it would be young OGs and Centers.

Bryan Matthews also said we are done at QB for 2013.

That's perplexing.

We already have 1 1/2 commits at QB.  Frazier has at least two more years left.  Zeke (>50% chance he comes back) is also in the mix.  Qb is not a position of need.  This is all from rivals who have contacts with coaching staff. This is not my opinion.

FIFY

That's perplexing.

We already have 1 1/2 commits at QB.  Frazier has at least two more years left.  Zeke (>50% chance he comes back) is also in the mix.  Qb is not a position of need.  This is all from rivals who have contacts with coaching staff. This is not my opinion.

FIFY

Who is the 1/2?

That is very a strong if not odd statement by Rivals. Considering our current QB depth and CH's great showing at camps it would make sense to offer him. It would be outlandish to believe that every current commit will sign in Feb and that we won't have room for ESPNs number 1 rated HS QB.

Auburn coaches could care less about rankings and recruiting site evals.  However, Auburn was high on Hackenberg before he committed to Penn State.  If Zeke ends up not coming back then you never know. 

Well if it looking at CH means losing JJ and possibly SDH I say we don't do it. But that means HEAVY recruiting on the QB position next year.

That's perplexing.

FIFY

Who is the 1/2?

I think it's safe to say there is at least a 50% chance that Jason Smith ends up somewhere else on the field, similar to the Ryan White situation from a few years back.

Auburn coaches could care less about rankings and recruiting site evals.  However, Auburn was high on Hackenberg before he committed to Penn State.  If Zeke ends up not coming back then you never know. 

Whether they care or not, the rankings, plus his showings in camps are both great indications of his talent level.  I just find our current lack of depth scary when looking at one or two years from now.  JJ could turn out to be the next great QB or he might not.  But having great depth and competition for playing time seems like a good idea to me.  There is Zeke and we all hope the best but he had to know after his HS issues that he needed to be on good behavior yet he messed up again anyway.  I am sure everyone hopes he gets it turned around but nobody knows what he is going to do.  Course I don't get paid to coach but it is fun to speculate.

That's perplexing.

FIFY

Who is the 1/2?

I think it's safe to say there is at least a 50% chance that Jason Smith ends up somewhere else on the field, similar to the Ryan White situation from a few years back.

That's what I thought you were getting at.  He is still a QB for now though.

That's perplexing.

We see things much differently. IF KF goes down, we really aren't in great shape. We have promised a young man a shot at QB, but from everything I have read he will probably end up at another position. I just don't see how QB is not a position of need for us. This young man will not be on campus until KF is a Jr., which may be his last year with us. By signing just one QB a year , and then having the ZP sitaution, well that can put you in a hole real quick.

That's perplexing.

We see things much differently. IF KF goes down, we really aren't in great shape. We have promised a young man a shot at QB, but from everything I have read he will probably end up at another position. I just don't see how QB is not a position of need for us. This young man will not be on campus until KF is a Jr., which may be his last year with us. By signing just one QB a year , and then having the ZP sitaution, well that can put you in a hole real quick.

To me, the crux of our "need" at QB hinges squarely on the Zeke Pike situation. Our coaches interest in Hackenberg, or lack thereof, speaks a lot to how the expect the Pike situation to play out. If we truly aren't interested, then I think it's safe to assume that the coaches expect Pike back.

That's perplexing.

Let's say we fast forward to next season with Frazier (Jr), Pike (soph), Wallace (soph), and two freshman in Johnson and Smith.  If Frazier gets hurt, pike would get the backup regardless of who we have as our freshman.  Pike would be a much better option then any of the Freshman QB even if it was Hackenberg.  Then say Pike does bad or gets hurt, then you have either Wallace or Johnson.  (Assuming Smith ends up somewhere else).  In the coaches mind, Johnson is equally as good as Hackenberg or maybe better.  It would take 3 QB to go down before we end up with Wallace or Smith taking the reigns.  At that point, Hackenberg would be helpful.

Now if Pike doesn't return there could be trouble with our QB depth.  I think the coaches would rather save the last spot for a position more in need

Archived