Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

If Petrino is the one, it won't be easy to tell the parents that Bobby will watch over and take care of their sons for the next 3 to 4 years. I would not let my son play for him.

This is not a good argument. Considering the former regime.

I agree, parents and athletes wont care where he sticks his wang as long as he puts them in the league and sets them up to be successful on the field.

With some parents, you are right. There will be some mothers, and I would think fathers, that would not want their son being influenced by Petrion for three or four years of their son's life. On this issue, it truly is a two sided coin.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Petrino is the one, it won't be easy to tell the parents that Bobby will watch over and take care of their sons for the next 3 to 4 years. I would not let my son play for him.

I have to adamantly disagree with you.

Chizik was very well respected by parents - granted - he couldn't coach a lick, but was respected by parents.

Petrino would be perceived as a risk by a lot of parents. Whether it be warranted or not.

Chizik had rampant discipline problems and had four guys charged with armed robbery not to mention the admission by Dyer and others that they regularly smoked synthetic MJ. If he was well respected by parents to take care of their little boy it's because they had their heads in the sand. Petrino by contrast had very little in the way of discipline issues at Arkansas.

Chizik was very well respected by parents - granted - he couldn't coach a lick, but was respected by parents.

Petrino would be perceived as a risk by a lot of parents. Whether it be warranted or not.

Chizik might have been very well respected by parents but his failure to run a disciplined program has hurt more kids then anything BP has done.

I'm not asking for a full breakdown but Twitter is blowing up with whatever Rivals posted regarding the Petrino "interview". Can someone hit the highpoints without breaking any rules?

Chizik had rampant discipline problems and had four guys charged with armed robbery not to mention the admission by Dyer and others that they regularly smoked synthetic MJ. If he was well respected by parents to take care of their little boy it's because they had their heads in the sand. Petrino by contrast had very little in the way of discipline issues at Arkansas.

I will agree with you on that.

I was simply making the point that parents who dealt with him had a great respect for him. I personally know 2 kids that were being "soft" recruited by AU and their parents loved the guy. The kids never got a full offer, but they really liked the guy.

I didn't answer it because it's inane...I never even insinuated that anyone else would be a failure just as I never claimed anyone would be a guaranteed success.

Auburn is not JUST a football team, but we are hiring for the coach of the football team. We're not hiring for the chairman of the Board of Trustees, the school president or the dean of the engineering school. Whether you disagree or not, I don't think you dismiss him out of hand without a serious interview.

Inane, you say? Well, its hard to fathom your level of disappointment unless you feel justified in your certainty of failure that anyone else wont measure up. My point is that Auburn is a public funded institution...whether you like it or not, this guy dangerously pushed the envelope in his hiring of his girlfriend. Im betting he wouldn't do that again but missteps of that magnitude have consequences. To ignore it because he is a great football coach is simply not going to happen....ANYWHERE! That you would spin this as comparable to a CEO hire IS inane and extremely ironic..I seriously doubt that any college administraiton is going to touch this guy for a long time. again..wonder why NO other University conducting a coach search elected to give the guy an interview? Odd, huh? The best available in the entire world not getting an interview anywhere but Auburn and even that wasn't good enough to satisify the zealots..LOL

I didn't answer it because it's inane...I never even insinuated that anyone else would be a failure just as I never claimed anyone would be a guaranteed success.

Auburn is not JUST a football team, but we are hiring for the coach of the football team. We're not hiring for the chairman of the Board of Trustees, the school president or the dean of the engineering school. Whether you disagree or not, I don't think you dismiss him out of hand without a serious interview.

Inane, you say? Well, its hard to fathom your level of disappointment unless you feel justified in your certainty of failure that anyone else wont measure up.

It's hard for you to fathom because you evidently don't think that hard. You routinely mangle what I've said then ramble on some tangent about it, so that doesn't exactly shock me that you wouldn't get why I'd be disappointed.

I'm disappointed because not only did we do a sham interview with Petrino, but we did so without having anyone with an equal or superior resume available to pursue. No Bob Stoops, no Jeff Fisher, no one. I'm sorry but based on track record, what's left is a step down. I'm also disappointed because our leadership thinks so little of us that they believe they can pull a stunt like this and placate people. I was already disappointed because our president lacked the courage to give Jacobs his walking papers. All this charade has done is confirm that we lack the leadership at Auburn to do any of this right.

My point is that Auburn is a public funded institution...whether you like it or not, this guy dangerously pushed the envelope in his hiring of his girlfriend. Im betting he wouldn't do that again but missteps of that magnitude have consequences. To ignore it because he is a great football coach is simply not going to happen....ANYWHERE! That you would spin this as comparable to a CEO hire IS inane and extremely ironic..I seriously doubt that any college administraiton is going to touch this guy for a long time.

Once again for the slow of thought...I never said you ignore it. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp for you (and others who keep tossing similar lines out there)?

Inane, you say? Well, its hard to fathom your level of disappointment unless you feel justified in your certainty of failure that anyone else wont measure up.

It's hard for you to fathom because you evidently don't think that hard. You routinely mangle what I've said then ramble on some tangent about it, so that doesn't exactly shock me that you wouldn't get why I'd be disappointed.

I'm disappointed because not only did we do a sham interview with Petrino, but we did so without having anyone with an equal or superior resume available to pursue. No Bob Stoops, no Jeff Fisher, no one. I'm sorry but based on track record, what's left is a step down. I'm also disappointed because our leadership thinks so little of us that they believe they can pull a stunt like this and placate people. I was already disappointed because our president lacked the courage to give Jacobs his walking papers. All this charade has done is confirm that we lack the leadership at Auburn to do any of this right.

My point is that Auburn is a public funded institution...whether you like it or not, this guy dangerously pushed the envelope in his hiring of his girlfriend. Im betting he wouldn't do that again but missteps of that magnitude have consequences. To ignore it because he is a great football coach is simply not going to happen....ANYWHERE! That you would spin this as comparable to a CEO hire IS inane and extremely ironic..I seriously doubt that any college administraiton is going to touch this guy for a long time.

Once again for the slow of thought...I never said you ignore it. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp for you (and others who keep tossing similar lines out there)?

But why did NO other University offer the guy an interview? is that not in the least bit odd to you and make you wonder why you're fighting this fight over a football coach? How you like THAT tangent Titan? LOL

But why did NO other University offer the guy an interview? is that not in the least bit odd to you and make you wonder why you're fighting this fight over a football coach?

I thought Cal and UT are interested.

I agree with TitanTiger on this one -- Auburn missed an opportunity for a great coach this time around. Hopefully the next hire pans out, but I'm skeptical. Auburn's athletic dept is a mess at the moment.

I think its a fair question.....why is it Auburn University's duty to offer a lengthy interview to a guy that has largely been ignored by every University conducting a hiring process for a HFC? He got an interview and thats still not good enough. Heres the deal...all this angst is a result of the prevailing thought that anyone other than BP is more of Auburn settling rather than getting the big named hire. I have no problem with whomever they hire but dont really feel any obligation to give Petrino anything given his recent past. Statements like...Auburn missed an opportunity to get a great coach is a symptom of the thought process of the Petrino crowd..anything else is certain failure

But why did NO other University offer the guy an interview? is that not in the least bit odd to you and make you wonder why you're fighting this fight over a football coach? How you like THAT tangent Titan? LOL

I'd say that 1) there are multiple openings still out there and if it's known that Auburn is his first choice they felt there was no point in talking to him yet or 2) you don't know that he hasn't talked with others already. I'd also say that if it's as you say it was, then don't bother with the sham phone call interview either. Just be a man and say he's not an option.

I think its a fair question.....why is it Auburn University's duty to offer a lengthy interview to a guy that has largely been ignored by every University conducting a hiring process for a HFC? He got an interview and thats still not good enough. Heres the deal...all this angst is a result of the prevailing thought that anyone other than BP is more of Auburn settling rather than getting the big named hire. I have no problem with whomever they hire but dont really feel any obligation to give Petrino anything given his recent past. Statements like...Auburn missed an opportunity to get a great coach is a symptom of the thought process of the Petrino crowd..anything else is certain failure

Certain failure? Not necessarily. Certain disappointment if we hire a coach with a lesser resume? You bet.

Proves that you either still are too dense to get it or just have a habit of willfully misrepresenting those who think differently than you. Neither is a flattering option for you.

If he is hired, be ready for this to happen at some point. A bigger offer comes his way and Petrino will take it and leave in mid-season and in the middle of the night. Mean while, we are left hanging high and dry with egg on our face again.

If he is hired, be ready for this to happen at some point. A bigger offer comes his way and Petrino will take it and leave in mid-season and in the middle of the night. Mean while, we are left hanging high and dry with egg on our face again.

It's fairly well known that Auburn is the job he's wanted for quite a while. This isn't Louisville and it isn't the crazy nut fair he inherited in Atlanta where he couldn't even bench a couple of star players to instill some team discipline because ownership wouldn't let him. Hell, he probably would have been at Arky for several more years had the affair not come out.

I'm not asking for a full breakdown but Twitter is blowing up with whatever Rivals posted regarding the Petrino "interview". Can someone hit the highpoints without breaking any rules?

See the last couple of pages on The Word on The Search thread

Proves that you either still are too dense to get it or just have a habit of willfully misrepresenting those who think differently than you. Neither is a flattering option for you.

Don't bother. He refuses to understand that if you care about Auburn, you care about the process. Giving respect to highly qualified candidates and their supporters is the proper way. It has nothing at all to do with if the man gets the job. You are not going to give a face to face to Bobby Petrino but give one to the other 4 including Chad Morris ? please

I'm admittedly a supporter of hiring BP, however, I don't think it was BP or bust. I think GP or CP would have been great hires and I would have been equally as happy with those hires. I do feel AU has settled if they hire KS or GM. I'm disappointed in always seeming to settle. If money is "no issue" then why not hire THE guy opposed to a guy. I don't pretend to know what is going to happen and I will support our coach, I'm just disappointed if rumors are true that we never swing for the fenses. I honestly feel we are conceding.

Weren't someof the same things said about the great sabanator when the turds hired him?

I laugh at the stupidity of the remarks!

Don't know if already posted, but Low reports that Gogue will simply not sign off on Petrino.

http://espn.go.com/b...in-sec-searches

Summary:

"There have been reports that former Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino is on Auburn's list, but multiple sources have told ESPN.com that Petrino is not a serious candidate. Auburn's president, Jay Gogue, simply isn't going to sign off on Petrino, and at this point, Petrino is going to have a hard time breaking back into the SEC."

Don't know if already posted, but Low reports that Gogue will simply not sign off on Petrino.

Summary:

"There have been reports that former Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino is on Auburn's list, but multiple sources have told ESPN.com that Petrino is not a serious candidate. Auburn's president, Jay Gogue, simply isn't going to sign off on Petrino, and at this point, Petrino is going to have a hard time breaking back into the SEC."

I have heard several people, that know a whole lot more about the behind the scenes stuff at Auburn than I do, say the same thing. I think Petrino is a solid coach and would support him if we hire him. I can also understand Dr. Gogue's line of thinking also. BP has nobody to blame but himself for getting into the situation he is in.

Summary:

I have heard several people, that know a whole lot more about the behind the scenes stuff at Auburn than I do, say the same thing. I think Petrino is a solid coach and would support him if we hire him. I can also understand Dr. Gogue's line of thinking also. BP has nobody to blame but himself for getting into the situation he is in.

I don't know if this point has been made in the 267 pages of this thread but the reason Petrino will not be hired, regardless of qualifications, is because there is no way Dr. Gogue, Mac, Bo and Pat sign off on a hire that will absolutely polarize the fan base. We have enough problems as it is.

If we don't hire BP now, we will probably hire him away from a smaller school in 2-3 years.

If AU shafts him this time, he should tell the PTB to kiss his royal behind if we come calling in the next few years.

Archived