Ben Howland

CameronCrazy

Justin Hokanson is reporting that the rumor is that UCLA will fire head coach Ben Howland tomorrow. If this is true, then we would be beyond crazy to not fire our current coach and go after this guy HARD! He took the Bruins to 2 final fours and recruited the likes of Kevin Love and Shabazz Muhammad to UCLA. What say you?

Wow! Yeah I was not aware of the discipline issues. I assumed he was being fired from the high pressure of coaching at UCLA. Please disregard the OP.

How much would it cost us to go after Tubby at Minn? I was hoping he was going to get the job when CTB got the job (and then didnt show up). He always overachieves and can develop players.

How much would it cost us to go after Tubby at Minn? I was hoping he was going to get the job when CTB got the job (and then didnt show up). He always overachieves and can develop players.

I would love for us to get Tubby! The head coach for Florida Gulf Coast is also looking really good right about now.

Screw Tubby he had one good year go get Howland!!!

I would love to get Howland or Tubby. Tubby resume speaks for itself. He took Minn to the NCAA tourney 3 out of 6 years, NIT 2 years (included a runner up finish). He is more of a development coach and less of a recruiting coach which is what we need with our limitations in recruiting bb.

I am less enthusiastic about Florida GC head coach. I think AU does better with a veteran HC not an up and comer. Pretty soon, AU will be considered a up and coming coach killer position.

Say it with me...first the AD, then the BB coach.

I understand that Minn had not long ago extended Tubby's contract and now they fire him. Obviously, their AD is better at negotiating a contract because his buyout can not exceed $2.5MM! Imagine that, a caoch with an impressive resume that had his team in a tourney most every year and gets that kind of buyout. While JJ negotiates a 7 year contract with an unknown coach that pays $3.5MM if we fire him???

I understand that Minn had not long ago extended Tubby's contract and now they fire him. Obviously, their AD is better at negotiating a contract because his buyout can not exceed $2.5MM! Imagine that, a caoch with an impressive resume that had his team in a tourney most every year and gets that kind of buyout. While JJ negotiates a 7 year contract with an unknown coach that pays $3.5MM if we fire him???

You might want to study Tubby's history.....seems to eventually have problems...even at UK where he could get about any player he wanted just on the school's reputation alone. Another open job is UCLA as someone noted earlier. Found this comment: Virginia Commonwealth's Shaka Smart and Butler's Brad Stevens top the list, according to a person familiar with the athletic department who was not authorized to speak publicly." The prevailing thought is that better schools than UCLA have tried without success to get those guys and chances are zero.

https://twitter.com/...584381265793024

Justin Hokanson is reporting that the rumor is that UCLA will fire head coach Ben Howland tomorrow. If this is true, then we would be beyond crazy to not fire our current coach and go after this guy HARD! He took the Bruins to 2 final fours and recruited the likes of Kevin Love and Shabazz Muhammad to UCLA. What say you?

Auburn needs a coach not a recruiter. If you can't win with UCLA talent you sure as heck are not going to win with the level of talent we can get to come to Auburn.

Tubby has nearly a 70% career winning %. In the past 20 years, he has 19 seasons with 20+ wins. Been to the NCAAs 17 times and the NIT 2. A National Championship, multiple Sweet 16s and Elite 8s, only 1 season in his career with a sub-500 record.

I'll take that with AU basketball....in a heartbeat!!!

Auburn needs a coach not a recruiter. If you can't win with UCLA talent you sure as heck are not going to win with the level of talent we can get to come to Auburn.

Miles Simon (former Arizona assistant) said at lunch on the ESPN tournament breakdown show that basketball in the PAC-10 changed when Howland was hired at UCLA. His teams were much more physical and defensive oriented than the rest of the league. He has won more games in the PAC-10 than any other school during his tenure, won 4 conference championships, and taken his team to 3 final fours while no other PAC-10 has been to the final four during that time. He's also credited for being an excellent X's and O's and scheming coach. The problem was that they hang national chamionship banners at UCLA and not conference championships or final four appearances. And losing the support of alumni like Bill Walton pretty much sealed his fate.

I still think he would be a great hire for Auburn, but I would definitely question his ability to run a strict, disciplined program after reading the SI article posted above.

He just seems like he has burned out to me. He did a great job at Pitt and his 1st few years at UCLA but since then he has struggled at a place that it is hard to struggle at. Maybe a year off to recharge his batteries will do him well.

Miles Simon (former Arizona assistant) said at lunch on the ESPN tournament breakdown show that basketball in the PAC-10 changed when Howland was hired at UCLA. His teams were much more physical and defensive oriented than the rest of the league. He has won more games in the PAC-10 than any other school during his tenure, won 4 conference championships, and taken his team to 3 final fours while no other PAC-10 has been to the final four during that time. He's also credited for being an excellent X's and O's and scheming coach. The problem was that they hang national chamionship banners at UCLA and not conference championships or final four appearances. And losing the support of alumni like Bill Walton pretty much sealed his fate.

I still think he would be a great hire for Auburn, but I would definitely question his ability to run a strict, disciplined program after reading the SI article posted above.

The guy has been living in LA (not Lower Alabama). Hard for me to imagine him in Auburn.

Good coach, but Ben Howland is the Gene Chizik of discipline in college basketball. Read: http://espn.go.com/l...ccording-report

Another piece on Ben Howland.....very interesting if you read the entire write-up. Basically he got on the wrong side of some leading AAU coaches, some of whom did not like his coaching style because it would not "showcase" their players for the NBA. Back to the AAU business again. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130325/ucla-ben-howland/?sct=hp_t11_a6&eref=sihp

You ain't right in the head! Or else you didn't look at Tubby's record before popping off. He's had more than 20 good years by Auburn standards.

I would take literally anyone who could at least let us sniff the tournament every other year. Tubby or Howland would be great hires.

He just seems like he has burned out to me. He did a great job at Pitt and his 1st few years at UCLA but since then he has struggled at a place that it is hard to struggle at. Maybe a year off to recharge his batteries will do him well.

I was listening to a guy on the Dan Patrick Show this morning. Some college bball writer. He said Howland pissed off some AAU coaches. Also Howland pulled a scholly from a Cali kid, at the last minute, who had been committed to UCLA since the tenth grade. This pissed off more AAU coaches. The AAU coaches, in Cali., basically black balled Howland and told recruits to go to other schools. The guy also said Howland is not a players coach and really didn't have relationships with the kids. It sounded to me like Howland is a good teacher, and a good x's and o's guy, but lacks in all of the other area's of coaching and development of the person.

You ain't right in the head! Or else you didn't look at Tubby's record before popping off. He's had more than 20 good years by Auburn standards.

I have seen several people poo-poo Tubby. People either don't pay attention or say it because they heard somebody else say it. That just boggles my mind. 18 twenty win seasons in 21 years of coaching. Never a hint of corruption with his programs. There ain't a darn thing wrong with that.

Doing a little research on him I ran across this............In 2005, he joined Roy Williams, Nolan Richardson, Denny Crum and Jim Boeheim as the only head coaches to win 365 games in 15 seasons or fewer.

We should be so lucky to have a guy that is as bad a coach as Tubby is.

There is no opening at Auburn guys. Get over it. Like it or not we have Barbee for at least one more year. And all of the guys you all have mentioned to me have enough baggage to slow up the process other than the FGCU coach. All I know about him is he is winning right now and is said to have a hot wife.

I unfortunately agree auclong.....Barbee is our coach right now and I fear will be next season too. AU spent too much money buying the football staff out of their contracts to spend another $3.5MM on CTB. Baseball is likely to be in the same position after this season.

The FGCU coach is the flavor of the month. I don't think that is what AU needs for our next coach. We need a mature coach that can come in and rebuild the program.

And yes, Amanda Marcum is smokin' hot!!!

There is no opening at Auburn guys. Get over it. Like it or not we have Barbee for at least one more year. And all of the guys you all have mentioned to me have enough baggage to slow up the process other than the FGCU coach. All I know about him is he is winning right now and is said to have a hot wife.

There's no "it" to get over. We all pretty much know Barbee will have at least one more year. We're discussing daydreams here. List Tubby Smith's alleged "baggage" when you get a chance, ok?

Archived