Question about RPI

What range of RPI does a team need to have at the end of the season to be considered for the NCAA tournament? I guess it depends on the team's record, but I'm just wondering what the NCAA regional selection committee looks for in RPI

Road wins against ranked teams help the most. Out of conference road wins help if they are against ranked teams. (We didn't schedule any OOC games against teams that were likely to be ranked) Losses to low-ranked teams hurt the worst.

If you are looking for a firm number, I think that varies so much from year to year that a definitive number can't be named.

In Auburn's case, we pretty much have to win four of our final five games or else make a big run in the SEC tournament.

Our most recent (5/7/13) RPI ranking is 50th. As far as where it needs to be to get in, that's very subjective. There will be 64 teams in the NCAA tournament of which thirty conference champions will be automatic qualifiers. There are currently a combined twenty teams from the SEC and ACC in the top 64 RPI ranking. You can do the 'cipherin', but if every automatic qualifier were in the top 64 (and there are no upsets from any of the conference tournaments) then we're in.

As far as our chances after Saturday night's loss at UF: If we win all four of our remaining conference games we will be squarely on the bubble. The heavy stat in our favor would be that we would have won 10 of our last 11 games (and our RPI would likely jump up into the low 40's). If we lose one of those conference games and finish with 13 wins, the odds are not good. Finish with 12 wins in the SEC and we're out, in my opinion.

Our most recent (5/7/13) RPI ranking is 50th. As far as where it needs to be to get in, that's very subjective. There will be 64 teams in the NCAA tournament of which thirty conference champions will be automatic qualifiers. There are currently a combined twenty teams from the SEC and ACC in the top 64 RPI ranking. You can do the 'cipherin', but if every automatic qualifier were in the top 64 (and there are no upsets from any of the conference tournaments) then we're in.

As far as our chances after Saturday night's loss at UF: If we win all four of our remaining conference games we will be squarely on the bubble. The heavy stat in our favor would be that we would have won 10 of our last 11 games (and our RPI would likely jump up into the low 40's). If we lose one of those conference games and finish with 13 wins, the odds are not good. Finish with 12 wins in the SEC and we're out, in my opinion.

Does conf. tourney play affect an RPI or is tourney play just eye candy/style points?

RPI, by definition, is style points.

"The committee may consider comparing data of individual teams, including, but not limited to, overall record, Division I record, overall RPI rank, non-conference record and RPI rank, conference regular-season record and conference tournament results, road record and RPI, last 15 games’ record, its record against teams ranked 1-25, 26-50, 51-100, 101-150 and below 150 in the RPI, head-to-head record, common opponents’ record and input from regional advisory committees."

http://collegebaseball360.com/2012/05/23/2012-ncaa-college-baseball-tournament-selection-process-101/

The final RPI ranking is released after the conference tournaments.

Thanks very much for the info. It sounds like we still have a good chance to get in, providing we win games down the stretch and in the SEC tourney.

I am convinced the SEC brass believes the conference is entitled to 10 teams in the tournament. In my opinion it will only be 9 this year, and if so the last spot will come down to Auburn, UK and aTm. Kentucky currently has the highest RPI of that group at 30 and has one game left with Vandy and three at Mizzou.

Good analysis there! It's easier to see what might/should happen with wins/losses than it is to predict future RPI standings.

Yeah, not official, but the wins over Florida on the road are a big bump. Here's another pseudo RPI that has us at 35 http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

Official RPI is on the NCAA website http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1

I think the ncaa one is rankings in general, not rpi rankings. Either way, it just doesn't seem like it's as bad as many people have made it out to be

The team made some solid strides since the Missouri disaster, the Troy loss not looking quite as bad, and Ole Miss and UF wins a big help. Yep...a few folks on this board are probably going to be disappointed when AU slips into an NCAA regional.

I think the ncaa one is rankings in general, not rpi rankings. Either way, it just doesn't seem like it's as bad as many people have made it out to be

NCAA website has a drop down menu under the date that will toggle NCBWA, Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball, USA Today Coaches rankings as well as the RPI ranking. The link provided on the previous post is (as stated) the official NCAA recognized RPI ranking which is updated once a week on Tuesday. That most recent RPI has us at 50, which is up from 58 and was posted prior to the weekend series with Florida.

NCAA website has a drop down menu under the date that will toggle NCBWA, Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball, USA Today Coaches rankings as well as the RPI ranking. The link provided on the previous post is (as stated) the official NCAA recognized RPI ranking which is updated once a week on Tuesday. That most recent RPI has us at 50, which is up from 58 and was posted prior to the weekend series with Florida.

Ah, I see, thanks for the info, I'm guessing its probably, then, a tad higher than 50 now due to the Win over Samford in the midweek as well as the Florida series win

Honestly the more I look back at our schedule, the more I think we'll get in a regional unless we get swept by Arkansas and have a terrible showing in the SEC tourney. Look at our season in a nutshell -- We got swept by Vanderbilt and LSU to start the season but that's really nothing to cry about considering how good they are (#1 and #4)...we also lost a series at Miss St (#10) which is also acceptable. Our only BAD series was at MIzzou where we took 1 of 3...but we more than made up for it with series wins against Ole Miss and at Florida. Round it out with series wins against Georgia, at TX A&M, and taking 2 of 4 on the season from a decent Alabama team.

We scheduled some Patsy's for OOC but our SEC schedule was tough enough to cancel it out. The only blemish I see is a couple of bad OOC losses but beyond that, I think we are a NCAA tourney team. That is unless we finish weak.

Yeah, not official, but the wins over Florida on the road are a big bump. Here's another pseudo RPI that has us at 35 http://www.boydsworl...currentrpi.html

Official RPI is on the NCAA website http://www.ncaa.com/...ngs/baseball/d1

True but warrennolan.com uses the exact formula the NCAA does. While the NCAA updates theirs once or twice a week. warrennolan.com is updated approx 30 minutes after every game. This is one of the best resources I use during baseball season to stay up to date on Auburn and the SEC.

Archived