The "bread & butter" play

StatTiger

One of the frequent plays seen in Gus Malzahn's offense is the power sweep, similar to the version made famous by Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers. It has been a very successful play in the Malzahn playbook with Ben Tate and Michael Dyer recording numerous long TD runs during their Auburn careers. Cameron Artis-Payne benefited from the same play during the 2013 A-Day game, scoring on a 27-yard run.

The play...

A-DayPayneTDrun_zpsc9423d54.jpg

Malzahn has a couple of variations of this play but they all involve both guards pulling on the play and this was the case during the A-Day game. Auburn comes out in a 3-WR set but actually executes the play to the boundary side. Devonte Danzey and Jordan Diamond are the two pulling guards. Diamond crushed the corner and Danzey actually engages two defenders at the same time. The two guards open up a running lane for Payne, who motors 27-yards for the TD.

Different view of same play...

A-DayPayneTDrun2_zps46fb334b.jpg

Another key to this play is the blocking my Ricky Parks (TE) and Sammie Coates (WR). Parks seals the edge by driving the DE inside and Coates seals the corner by taking out the safety cheating up for run support. When this play is properly executed, it normally results in a long gainer.

With Cameron Artis-Payne and Tre Mason, Auburn has two running backs who turn up field quickly, which should result in some big gainers in 2013. When this play is executed properly, it is a thing of beauty. Get a lid on a lid and run it down the alley!

From 2009 and 2010, you can find really nice analysis of the buck sweep specifically (and Malzahn's schemes generally) from Chris Brown of Smart Football at Yahoo's Dr. Saturday and from the Offensive Football blog. It really is a bread and butter play for him and I remembered it fondly when I saw it watching a couple of Arkansas State games last season, especially when he ran it multiple times in a row against one opponent.

A big part of that play was that Danzey was able to block both LBs, Holland and Mitchell, at virtually the same time. Mitchell was late to react and Holland, who was the backside LB on the play, got there first. So when Danzey put a block on Holland, Mitchell was held up just enough to be taken out of the play. But it was a heck of a block by Danzey and showed his quickness to get out there that well.

It's called the Bucksweep. It is a staple of the Wing T offense. Malzahn began his h.s. career as a Wing T coach.

My high school team ran the Wing T, as well; I've been saying since 09 that Malzahn doesn't run a "spread" so much as he runs a Wing T out of the shotgun formation...it's the HUNH part that makes it look so much like a newfangled offense. Now, granted, the Wing T was a predecessor to the Veer, which is essentially what a "spread offense" is in the first place, but there's nobody in major college football that I can think of who runs any offense without incorporating elements of spreading the field. Any time you have a wideout split to either side, that's a spread. Non-spread offenses have two tight ends and four backs (quarterback, fullback, and either 2 halfbacks, 2 wing backs, or 1 of each).

This is why I have so many problems with the widespread use of the term "spread offense". To me, unless your base set includes 4 WRs or 3 WRs and 1 TE, then it shouldn't be designated as anything but what it is. Running the Wing T (or the I, or 1 back and double tight, or whatever else) out of the shotgun doesn't magically change the game of football. There is very little being done, schematically, that hasn't been done for at least 50 years. Even running the HUNH is really nothing more than running the 2 minute drill for 60 minutes.

I continue to dislike any play that developed behind the line of scrimmage. Last year and 2011 were testament to what happens without elite or extremely disciplined blockers.

I continue to dislike any play that developed behind the line of scrimmage. Last year and 2011 were testament to what happens without elite or extremely disciplined blockers.

Or what happens when the Offensive Coordinator isn't allowed to run his offense because of interference by a defensive minded HC... You know, either one.

When this play is executed properly, it is a thing of beauty.

Amen! WDE!

I think all good running plays are that way. I'm kinda old school for my age. Love the ole run it,run it,run it punt it

Not sure i follow. Same play was called in 2010,11, and 12. All that changed,

In my eyes, was discipline and player development. When it works, it works...ie 2010. It didn't work in 11 under malzahn. Nor in 12 with Loeffler. Are you insinuating that Chiz was calling the plays all 3 years?

Or what happens when the Offensive Coordinator isn't allowed to run his offense because of interference by a defensive minded HC... You know, either one.

In my eyes, was discipline and player development. When it works, it works...ie 2010. It didn't work in 11 under malzahn. Nor in 12 with Loeffler. Are you insinuating that Chiz was calling the plays all 3 years?

I am saying that in 2010, Gus controlled his offense, but in 2011, it is known that Chizik told Gus to slow his offense down because our defense couldn't keep up with the pace that our offense was scoring (the defense would still be winded when they had to go back onto the field). In 2012, Chizik did the same thing, trying to micromanage the offense (he started doing this about halfway through the Clemson game). So yes, to answer you question, that is what I am insinuating.

Gus has run this offense for quite a few years now, and it has been very clear that he knows how to run it effectively. I understand that you don't like plays that develop behind the line of scrimmage, but it has obviously been working for him. Last year at Arky State, Gus and Rhett's offense was top 20 in the NCAA even though they played teams like Oregon and Nebraska who had much more talent than they did.

I am saying that in 2010, Gus controlled his offense, but in 2011, it is known that Chizik told Gus to slow his offense down because our defense couldn't keep up with the pace that our offense was scoring (the defense would still be winded when they had to go back onto the field). In 2012, Chizik did the same thing, trying to micromanage the offense (he started doing this about halfway through the Clemson game). So yes, to answer you question, that is what I am insinuating.

Gus has run this offense for quite a few years now, and it has been very clear that he knows how to run it effectively. I understand that you don't like plays that develop behind the line of scrimmage, but it has obviously been working for him. Last year at Arky State, Gus and Rhett's offense was top 20 in the NCAA even though they played teams like Oregon and Nebraska who had much more talent than they did.

Yep and they didn't score a touchdown against Oregon until they had posted 50 points on them late in the 2nd quarter and didn't score an offense touchdown at all on Nebraska. As Gus himself said though, and i'm paraphrasing, When my offense is good it is really good but when it is bad it is really bad.

Yep and they didn't score a touchdown against Oregon until they had posted 50 points on them late in the 2nd quarter and didn't score an offense touchdown at all on Nebraska. As Gus himself said though, and i'm paraphrasing, When my offense is good it is really good but when it is bad it is really bad.

I will reiterate- Oregon was at one point last season the #1 team in the nation and would have played for the BCSNC if they had not choked and lost to Stanford in OT. They had much more talent than Arky State, and the fact that Gus & Co kept the margin under 20 points is a testament to the coaching staff they had IMO.

And as we know now, Oregon was cheating, so idk if they should be used as a reference :P

As my son would say:

"Boom wacka shocka"

Archived