Saban

imaolgatiger

Finally, an elite WR that actually understands the bammer offensive scheme!!! I know it's difficult to image bammer being any better over the past several years, but just think what they could have done had they REALLY utilized Julio Jones to his potential. They also had a couple more really good receivers at the same time.

I look forward to Denson, Coates, Louis, Uzomah, Reed, Bray, Stevens and Robinson bring to the field this season. I love the run game, but can't wait to see Auburn be multi-dimensional in moving the ball at will against our opponents.

Very true, no player on UA has scared me as much as Julio. Guy was a complete beast. A game breaker. Really loved when we made him quit in 2010

Amari Cooper? I think he is far better than Julio was as a freshman

I disagree. Julio was ranked ahead of or right alongside AJ Green coming out of HS. Those were two of the best college receivers in recent history. Cooper could end up being more explosive (especially given McCarron's a lot better than McElroy was). However, I think Julio was so good and such a matchup nightmare, I sometimes saw himTRIPLE-teamed.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, an elite WR that actually understands the bammer offensive scheme!!! I know it's difficult to image bammer being any better over the past several years, but just think what they could have done had they REALLY utilized Julio Jones to his potential. They also had a couple more really good receivers at the same time.

I look forward to Denson, Coates, Louis, Uzomah, Reed, Bray, Stevens and Robinson bring to the field this season. I love the run game, but can't wait to see Auburn be multi-dimensional in moving the ball at will against our opponents.

Very true, no player on UA has scared me as much as Julio. Guy was a complete beast. A game breaker. Really loved when we made him quit in 2010

I disagree. Julio was ranked ahead of or right alongside AJ Green coming out of HS. Those were two of the best college receivers in recent history. Cooper could end up being more explosive (especially given McCarron's a lot better than McElroy was). However, I think Julio was so good and such a matchup nightmare, I sometimes saw himTRIPLE-teamed.

Julio was not that good in college. Bama misused him.

Not hyping the bams but I believe most cringed when he caught a come back route. Between injuries and yes they didn't use him as dangerously as they could have but dude was just big. Would love to have somebody of that size sign with good guys. Paging Melvin Ray----- ;) wishful thinking

My point exactly...and when they actually figured out how to get him the ball, he was dominant. Think 2010 Iron Bowl.

I think if Saban were ever to leave, which I seriously doubt it, the only program that he would go to would be Texas. They have more money, better recruiting ground, and they are the alpha school in Texas. Also, competition would be so much easier in the Big 12. He could pretty much write his ticket to the NC game every year.

My point exactly...and when they actually figured out how to get him the ball, he was dominant. Think 2010 Iron Bowl.

The best way to get the ball to him was to run a pick behind him. Think 2009 Iron Bowl.

Total agreement.

The best way to get the ball to him was to run a pick behind him. Think 2009 Iron Bowl.

+1. If you watch replays of their passes there is a defender getting picked by another receiver on most all of them. Is this not illegal in college football?

+1. If you watch replays of their passes there is a defender getting picked by another receiver on most all of them. Is this not illegal in college football?

Depends on the refs.

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking at first just wasn't sure if there is a rule that was directly against it. I imagine in some case it could be offens pass interference

Smart is the heir apparent.

I don't doubt this, but I do wonder how long is Smart going to wait? Muschamp was the "coach-in-waiting" under Brown at Texas, but I think he got tired of waiting on Brown to retire. I don't think Saban is retiring any time soon. What if an "elite" school had a vacancy, say Nebraska or Oklahoma or some school like that. Will Smart continue to wait on Bama?

I don't believe Kirby Smart is waiting on Saban to retire. He's interviewed with a couple of schools if you recall. He's in the enviable position to be able to wait for the right opportunity under the right circumstances. He is well-paid at 'Bama and not likely to get a very large raise if he left for a head-coaching position with a secondary school. He can obviously be at 'Bama for as long as he wants to be there.

But there are risks. What if, for whatever reasons, his defense slips into mediocrity for a year or two? His value would be affected, I think he'll be gone from Alabama within two years, three at the most. He needs to strike while the iron is hot.

I don't believe Kirby Smart is waiting on Saban to retire. He's interviewed with a couple of schools if you recall. He's in the enviable position to be able to wait for the right opportunity under the right circumstances. He is well-paid at 'Bama and not likely to get a very large raise if he left for a head-coaching position with a secondary school. He can obviously be at 'Bama for as long as he wants to be there.

But there are risks. What if, for whatever reasons, his defense slips into mediocrity for a year or two? His value would be affected, I think he'll be gone from Alabama within two years, three at the most. He needs to strike while the iron is hot.

What circumstances would make this happen? As long as NS is there, he will pull in top talent, they will operate under NS's rules and gameplan, and they WILL develop the players into NFL caliber. IMO, there will be no deviation from the standard that NS has set for his staff and his players. It is what it is, and right now it's dang good.

It's not like they have a player or two that impact the overall performance and execution of the entire team, i.e. Cam Newton/Nick Fairley. They don't have flash-in-the-pan seasons with a couple of standout players. They don't have one-hit-wonders that show out and then move on to the pro's and then the team slides to the cellar. They consistantly field solid teams that are in championship contention every single year.

What circumstances would make this happen? As long as NS is there, he will pull in top talent, they will operate under NS's rules and gameplan, and they WILL develop the players into NFL caliber. IMO, there will be no deviation from the standard that NS has set for his staff and his players. It is what it is, and right now it's dang good.

It's not like they have a player or two that impact the overall performance and execution of the entire team, i.e. Cam Newton/Nick Fairley. They don't have flash-in-the-pan seasons with a couple of standout players. They don't have one-hit-wonders that show out and then move on to the pro's and then the team slides to the cellar. They consistantly field solid teams that are in championship contention every single year.

^^^^^This^^^^^^^

And the only way to stop the above is to field a team that is just as talented, and develop them into NFL caliber players, and play smashmouth defense, and have an offense that can score 40+ points if it needs to, or can shut down the opposition and win the 7-3 type games. Bammer has done this, consistently, over the past several years. I look forward to Auburn becoming this type of team again, and making Saban's life miserable, but we're not there yet. How quickly we get there will speak volumes to our coaching staff's ability to develop players, and we all know they can recruit talent with the best of them.

Saban is the bully. A bully rules everything around him for as long as he is the top dog. Once a bully is put in his place, they usually move on so that they can become the bully again. Until we, or another program, step up and put bammer in their place, Saban will be content to be worshipped by the toothless masses, and win NC after NC, whether earned, backed into, or bought. He has the NCAA in his pocket, the media in his pocket, and calls all the shots in Tuscaloosa. He was consulted on who they hired for a basketball coach, for pete's sake! If he is going to leave, it will take someone pushing him out, and we all know that the NCAA is too scared to do it.

^^^^^This^^^^^^^

And the only way to stop the above is to field a team that is just as talented, and develop them into NFL caliber players, and play smashmouth defense, and have an offense that can score 40+ points if it needs to, or can shut down the opposition and win the 7-3 type games. Bammer has done this, consistently, over the past several years. I look forward to Auburn becoming this type of team again, and making Saban's life miserable, but we're not there yet. How quickly we get there will speak volumes to our coaching staff's ability to develop players, and we all know they can recruit talent with the best of them.

Saban is the bully. A bully rules everything around him for as long as he is the top dog. Once a bully is put in his place, they usually move on so that they can become the bully again. Until we, or another program, step up and put bammer in their place, Saban will be content to be worshipped by the toothless masses, and win NC after NC, whether earned, backed into, or bought. He has the NCAA in his pocket, the media in his pocket, and calls all the shots in Tuscaloosa. He was consulted on who they hired for a basketball coach, for pete's sake! If he is going to leave, it will take someone pushing him out, and we all know that the NCAA is too scared to do it.

We have a few other "bully's" in this conference that have been punking AU around for damn near a decade that I'd personally like to thwart first, >>> UGA & LSU. Once AU fields a team that can man up and put their bicks in the dirt we will have the muscle to go after the biggest bully of them all.

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking at first just wasn't sure if there is a rule that was directly against it. I imagine in some case it could be offens pass interference

It's actually called so rarely that coaches don't mind taking a chance. But yes, it is illegal.

Yep. Every time they rolled him up on the side lines, I said they are going to break him, they will make him quit. He wasn't the only one who the AU D broke that day, either.

The best way to stop a great player is to hit them as hard and as violently as you possibly can at every opportunity given.

I just never saw Julio being that scary of an opponent. He was too inconsistent and seemed to always have a bad attitude on the field. Always jumping up to get in a defender's face after being tackled. Seemed like people got in his head to easily. Amari Cooper is a way scarier opponent. Never seems rattled, fast, great hands/routes, consistent.

I just never saw Julio being that scary of an opponent. He was too inconsistent and seemed to always have a bad attitude on the field. Always jumping up to get in a defender's face after being tackled. Seemed like people got in his head to easily. Amari Cooper is a way scarier opponent. Never seems rattled, fast, great hands/routes, consistent.

Because they use Cooper better. If Bama had Nuss for OC when Julio was there then Julio would have been SCARY!

Julio was never the type of WR he could have been because he played at Alabama. Run the ball and play great D is what they do. If he was at Oklahoma St. he would have been a better Dez Bryant. Julio is that good as much as I hate to say it but his college choice made him only an average WR statistically. Either way he turned that mediocre college stat line into a top 10 draft pick which is what players ultimately want.

I remember AUs D keyed in on him well but to say when he caught a pass you didn't tense up juuuuuust a little?? Come on man I call BS. AU played him well but I recorded the 2010 Ironbowl the other day and that guy was scary when he got the ball. Even when injured.

Not comparing but there are some players that get the ball and it looks like they are taking 5 yard steps at a time. Kinda like all the Bo highlights. You give him space and he was nasty. Julio had that kind of feature. He scared me because he could break less than perfect tackling and cover some ground after the catch--- Cooper is scary because if you put it there, he will catch it... We really need another Emory Blake to step up this year

Julio was never the type of WR he could have been because he played at Alabama. Run the ball and play great D is what they do. If he was at Oklahoma St. he would have been a better Dez Bryant. Julio is that good as much as I hate to say it but his college choice made him only an average WR statistically. Either way he turned that mediocre college stat line into a top 10 draft pick which is what players ultimately want.

I thought he had hands of stone. Thought the Falcons were pulling a typical Falcon move trading away all they did to get him. That shows what I know.

I remember AUs D keyed in on him well but to say when he caught a pass you didn't tense up juuuuuust a little?? Come on man I call BS. AU played him well but I recorded the 2010 Ironbowl the other day and that guy was scary when he got the ball. Even when injured.

Pretty much the way I looked at JJ: Scary dangerous, but inconsistent and defensible.

Archived