Oregon Sanctions

jared52

As stated earlier: money talks. Nike U was never going to feel the NCAA's wrath....Phil Knight might get mad and take his money elsewhere. MSU is still viewed as being insignificant and didn't get busted because the NCAA didn't want to look heavy-handed against them and light against other.

I think you have something here. The NCAA made a fool of itself restricting Coach Kelly from coaching a college for 18th months. He is a Pro coach now. You are crazy if you think that another school would have gotten off so easy, say (example) Iowa, Baylor, Kansas, Colorado, and on and on.

Oregon and MSU ....two indications that NCAA is going soft on violations these days...IMO. Good time for folks to turn themselves in and take a few minor self-imposed penalties and get a clean slate.

Makes you wonder if it had been Auburn instead of Oregon and M. St. what the sanctions would have been

Probably about the same thing really. It wasn't the NCAA that was hammering us, it was the media. The NCAA did what they were supposed to do and that was to investigate the Cam situation. They even went so far as to publicly clear him and us, which I've never heard of happening before. The system worked in our favor this time.

The problem with the NCAA is they have put almost every team on probation that has mattered, so every fan base hates them and believes they are target by the "evil empire".

^^^^^ we agree. Cam, hbo, selena roberts, they cleared us publicly on the first 2 and accepted our own findings on the 3rd. During all this the memphis situation fizzled out which tells me we probably were not being too seriously implicated. I think they have been reasonable with us. Like ellitor i feel like they stepped over lines of jurisdiction with Penn St., and maybe too easy on the ducks and cowbells.

+1 to you and gAUlf

Emmert/NCAA has been fair and reasonable to Auburn athletics. Damn near half of the SEC programs in this conference (plus PennSt/OSU/USCw/pending Miami) have been put on NCAA probation within the last decade, AU has come out unscathed.

But what was the probation? Oregon just got busted buying a player. They get no bowl ban and lose one scholarship a year for three years. Three scholarships for buying a player? That is not probation. That is only getting 3/4 of a glass of ice cold milk with your entire pack of chocolate chip cookies. We didn't get into NCAA trouble because we did nothing wrong. There is no reason to praise the NCAA for that IMO.

Without Willie Lyles comming forward and spilling the beans all they had to go on was Oregon's testimony. They can't force outside parties to cooperate. Oregon did a good job of saving it's own skin. The main thing is they are on probabtion for 3 years, not the actual penalties. If they get caught screwing around and get the dreaded repeat violator status...well ask uat how that works out.

They had Willie Lyles public statements. He didn't have to say a word to the NCAA.

http://dailyemerald.com/2011/07/01/willie-lyles-implicates-chip-kelly-in-ncaa-scouting-investigation/

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Chip-Kelly-Oregon-Ducks-cannot-spin-claims-of-Willie-Lyles-allegedly-approved-pay-for-play-070111

Oregon and MSU ....two indications that NCAA is going soft on violations these days...IMO. Good time for folks to turn themselves in and take a few minor self-imposed penalties and get a clean slate.

Makes you wonder if it had been Auburn instead of Oregon and M. St. what the sanctions would have been

Probably about the same thing really. It wasn't the NCAA that was hammering us, it was the media. The NCAA did what they were supposed to do and that was to investigate the Cam situation. They even went so far as to publicly clear him and us, which I've never heard of happening before. The system worked in our favor this time.

The problem with the NCAA is they have put almost every team on probation that has mattered, so every fan base hates them and believes they are target by the "evil empire".

^^^^^ we agree. Cam, hbo, selena roberts, they cleared us publicly on the first 2 and accepted our own findings on the 3rd. During all this the memphis situation fizzled out which tells me we probably were not being too seriously implicated. I think they have been reasonable with us. Like ellitor i feel like they stepped over lines of jurisdiction with Penn St., and maybe too easy on the ducks and cowbells.

+1 to you and gAUlf

Emmert/NCAA has been fair and reasonable to Auburn athletics. Damn near half of the SEC programs in this conference (plus PennSt/OSU/USCw/pending Miami) have been put on NCAA probation within the last decade, AU has come out unscathed.

But what was the probation? Oregon just got busted buying a player. They get no bowl ban and lose one scholarship a year for three years. Three scholarships for buying a player? That is not probation. That is only getting 3/4 of a glass of ice cold milk with your entire pack of chocolate chip cookies. We didn't get into NCAA trouble because we did nothing wrong. There is no reason to praise the NCAA for that IMO.

Without Willie Lyles comming forward and spilling the beans all they had to go on was Oregon's testimony. They can't force outside parties to cooperate. Oregon did a good job of saving it's own skin. The main thing is they are on probabtion for 3 years, not the actual penalties. If they get caught screwing around and get the dreaded repeat violator status...well ask uat how that works out.

They had Willie Lyles public statements. He didn't have to say a word to the NCAA.

http://dailyemerald....-investigation/

http://msn.foxsports...for-play-070111

Yea, and the more he talked the more he seemed like he couldn't be trusted. He's just a shady character. Taking what he says at face value is like taking Mosely, Goodwin and McGlover the same way. In the case with Oregon it's not what you know, but what can be proven. It's not like we haven't had a few "check the source" moments of our own the past couple of years.

As stated earlier: money talks. Nike U was never going to feel the NCAA's wrath....Phil Knight might get mad and take his money elsewhere. MSU is still viewed as being insignificant and didn't get busted because the NCAA didn't want to look heavy-handed against them and light against other.

I think you have something here. The NCAA made a fool of itself restricting Coach Kelly from coaching a college for 18th months. He is a Pro coach now. You are crazy if you think that another school would have gotten off so easy, say (example) Iowa, Baylor, Kansas, Colorado, and on and on.

The NCAA placing a show cause on Kelly for 18 months is a joke - he's moved on the the pro's and wont suffer a ounce of pain and he basically paid for a player. Now take a look at the show cause the NCAA placed on Bruce Pearl - it was twice as long and all he did was throw a freakin BBQ. :dead:

The inconsistancy of the NCAA is what angers most folks, IMO. PennState got penalized by the NCAA for one mans lifestyle (which was horrendous)... But the NCAA had no jurisdiction to get involved at all in the PSU mess. Another program actually pays for a player, they get a show cause thrown on their former coach who is now in the pro's - they get 1 scholly reduction per year for 3 years and 3 yrs probation, and they aren't allowed to use recruiting services during probation....... WTH?

+1 to you and gAUlf

Yea, and the more he talked the more he seemed like he couldn't be trusted. He's just a shady character. Taking what he says at face value is like taking Mosely, Goodwin and McGlover the same way. In the case with Oregon it's not what you know, but what can be proven. It's not like we haven't had a few "check the source" moments of our own the past couple of years.

I saw on another board where yet another "shady character" is venting his viritrol for a certain program (Vols) all over social media. This particular character already squeeled on the MSU booster that paid the MSU recruit, and now he's throwing all sorts of accusations towards a couple of former Auburn coaches, Thigpen/Martinez. He operates his "recruting services" in Memphis. Byron DeVinner may ring a bell with a few folks on this board. He is scum of the Earth.

The NCAA placing a show cause on Kelly for 18 months is a joke - he's moved on the the pro's and wont suffer a ounce of pain and he basically paid for a player. Now take a look at the show cause the NCAA placed on Bruce Pearl - it was twice as long and all he did was throw a freakin BBQ. :dead:

The inconsistancy of the NCAA is what angers most folks, IMO. PennState got penalized by the NCAA for one mans lifestyle (which was horrendous)... But the NCAA had no jurisdiction to get involved at all in the PSU mess. Another program actually pays for a player, they get a show cause thrown on their former coach who is now in the pro's - they get 1 scholly reduction per year for 3 years and 3 yrs probation, and they aren't allowed to use recruiting services during probation....... WTH?

Yes but that school is funded by Nike. Money is power is this world.

+1 to you and gAUlf

So who exactly are you going to get information from? It is either him or the coaches at Oregon. Who do you think would be more believeable? Oregon got tickled by the NCAA feather for committing cardinal sin #1, buying a player. Giving to a kid you already have is one thing.Oregon robbed a bank and they were punished for jaywalking. Sorry, I just don't see how the punishment for that crime can be defended.

Yes but that school is funded by Nike. Money is power is this world.

I agree - they didn't want to piss off Phil Knight too much. We see that again, it all comes down to $$$

Who is the King of athletic sports apparel & footwear? Too much sponsorship $$ affecting too many programs in too many sports to risk not playing ball with Swoosh U & Lord Knight.

+1 to you and gAUlf

So who exactly are you going to get information from? It is either him or the coaches at Oregon. Who do you think would be more believeable? Oregon got tickled by the NCAA feather for committing cardinal sin #1, buying a player. Giving to a kid you already have is one thing.Oregon robbed a bank and they were punished for jaywalking. Sorry, I just don't see how the punishment for that crime can be defended.

You don't trust either one. What saved Oregon was their willingness to cooperate. And I missed where they actually paid a recruit. I thought they paid Lyles for his services, as did a number of other schools, and he steered them towards visits to Oregon. Is there more to it than that? Probably. But it's difficult for the NCAA to punish what "probably" happened. If they had given Oregon 3 years, loss of 15 schollys and a 2 year bowl ban then some of the same people would shouting where is the proof, the NCAA has too much power, etc.

Totally agree with the inconsistancy part. GT got creamed and lost a championship for way less. The differnce was the GT admin. gave the players being interviewed a heads up and coached them on what to say. A big no no according to the NCAA. Oregon played ball, which got them a far less stiff penalty.

On the PSU matter the NCAA had to do something. Can you imagine the public outrcy if they hadn't? It was the biggest case of lack of institutional controll since SMU. And for way worse reasons.

Re the Ga. Tech penalty....the crime was generally the same one that got Bruce Pearl. Tech tried to cover it up......and it wasn't BP's BBQ party that got him in trouble and the "show cause"...it was because he contacted those attending (and parents) and told them to lie to the NCAA. The PSU issue got waaay beyond football which gave the NCAA the opportunity / obligation to come down on the whole school. Sure the athletic department got hit hard but the $$$$ fine was against the school because of what top officials did and did not do. Plus....they knew PSU could afford it so why not take it?

Re the Ga. Tech penalty....the crime was generally the same one that got Bruce Pearl. Tech tried to cover it up......and it wasn't BP's BBQ party that got him in trouble and the "show cause"...it was because he contacted those attending (and parents) and told them to lie to the NCAA. The PSU issue got waaay beyond football which gave the NCAA the opportunity / obligation to come down on the whole school. Sure the athletic department got hit hard but the $$$$ fine was against the school because of what top officials did and did not do. Plus....they knew PSU could afford it so why not take it?

Whatever happened to all that money PSU paid the NCAA?

Kinda poetic justice that both MSU and Oregon are both on probation.

Going to the favorite charities of the NCAA Board.....seems I recall they had a list of organizations related to children's issues. Not to minimize the seriousness of PSU's sins but the money (and its intended uses) was a "feel good" thing IMO.

Kinda poetic justice that both MSU and Oregon are both on probation.

Well that, and I chuckle when I think of Urban's first season at OSU. He goes undefeated and due to probation can't play for the big prize. Karma - Karma - Karma

+1 to you and gAUlf

You don't trust either one. What saved Oregon was their willingness to cooperate. And I missed where they actually paid a recruit. I thought they paid Lyles for his services, as did a number of other schools, and he steered them towards visits to Oregon. Is there more to it than that? Probably. But it's difficult for the NCAA to punish what "probably" happened. If they had given Oregon 3 years, loss of 15 schollys and a 2 year bowl ban then some of the same people would shouting where is the proof, the NCAA has too much power, etc.

Albert Means says hello.

+1 to you and gAUlf

they reinstated Cam after we declared him ineligible for a day. They publicly announced the end of the probe with no proof of wrong doings. They publicly dismissed the HBO 4. All this seemed to me as a public favor because they didn't have to do it and usually don't. Maybe they pity us for the bad press.

+1 to you and gAUlf

Albert Means says hello.

Albert Means' coach was paid to get him to sign at one school. Lyles was paid by multiple schools to get kids to vistit. Which is different...i guess.

+1 to you and gAUlf

Albert Means says hello.

Albert Means' coach was paid to get him to sign at one school. Lyles was paid by multiple schools to get kids to vistit. Which is different...i guess.

Well Oregon didn't pay him $25 dimes until after Seastrunk signed with them. So it is exactly the same as the Albert Means thing.

I don't get why you are making excuses for a school obviously paying for players. It's as obvious as the nose on your face. Do schools do it? Yes. Do they deserve to be punished when they get caught? Yes. What exactly is Oregon's punishment for buying player's / getting caught doing it?

+1 to you and gAUlf

Albert Means says hello.

Well Oregon didn't pay him $25 dimes until after Seastrunk signed with them. So it is exactly the same as the Albert Means thing.

I don't get why you are making excuses for a school obviously paying for players. It's as obvious as the nose on your face. Do schools do it? Yes. Do they deserve to be punished when they get caught? Yes. What exactly is Oregon's punishment for buying player's / getting caught doing it?

I guess because it's if 2010 taught me anything is not to go by what espn reports/pushes. I haven't read all aspects in the case, and what I have read the NCAA didn't have much hard evidence to go on.

+1 to you and gAUlf

Albert Means says hello.

I guess because it's if 2010 taught me anything is not to go by what espn reports/pushes. I haven't read all aspects in the case, and what I have read the NCAA didn't have much hard evidence to go on.

This is from Yahoo!. They are the ones who have proven they don't just cover rumor, they do some investigating into a story they cover.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-robinson_scout_details_deal_oregon_kelly_070111

I haven't read that before. Very interesting. I still think all they can prove is Oregon payed a scouting service to try and secure visits. If the NCAA can't prove they were paying recruits for signatures it's kind of hard to nail Oregon to the wall. Did they get off easy? Well duh. But without the proof the NCAA needed there wasn't much more they could do.

Thank you gAUlf for breaking the quote cycle. That is about as bad as I have seen it.

Archived