2013 3* P Jimmy Hutchinson commits to AU! (grayshirt)

RunInRed

The risk is JH may decide to take a better offer. Then we lose the No. 1 rated punter. I wasn't all that impressed with the consistency of our punting last year. It was hard to be too critical when the other areas of our performance were worse.

Unlike many here, Im fine with kids who dont want to come to Auburn. What Auburn does need above all else is kids that dowant to be there! If he gets a "better offer" whatever that's supposed to mean and decides to accpet it....best of luck to him! Still...next!

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This kid may not have helped our "rankings", but he is a HUGE weapon against teams like aTm where 8 yards could be what our D needs. This guy is as important as any.....especially if he shows consistency.

The risk is JH may decide to take a better offer. Then we lose the No. 1 rated punter. I wasn't all that impressed with the consistency of our punting last year. It was hard to be too critical when the other areas of our performance were worse.

Unlike many here, Im fine with kids who dont want to come to Auburn. What Auburn does need above all else is kids that dowant to be there! If he gets a "better offer" whatever that's supposed to mean and decides to accpet it....best of luck to him! Still...next!

I don't think the risk is there with Hutchinson. He tweeted an image of his greyshirt offer, with a caption to the effect of "waiting for this day my whole life". He loves Auburn, and if you read Ellitor's explanation above, it makes sense what he is doing.

I don't think the risk is there with Hutchinson. He tweeted an image of his greyshirt offer, with a caption to the effect of "waiting for this day my whole life". He loves Auburn, and if you read Ellitor's explanation above, it makes sense what he is doing.

Yet people come n here second guessing the strategy with all kind of imagined scenarios about him "getting a better offer" and going elsewhere.I guess some folks cant be happy unless they're wringing their hands.

It's hard for me to see a kid being happy with paying a semester's tuition. But I don't know his situation. If he knew to expect this for months, then I'm ok with it.

He is not paying for a semester. He is waiting to enroll on Scholly next January.

Yet people come n here second guessing the strategy with all kind of imagined scenarios about him "getting a better offer" and going elsewhere.I guess some folks cant be happy unless they're wringing their hands.

The kid is ranked the nation's #1 punter. It's not that hard to imagine another program offering him a full scholarship immediately and a chance to play this year instead of hanging around his house playing video games until January of 2014. That would constitute a "better offer" to me.

The kid is ranked the nation's #1 punter. It's not that hard to imagine another program offering him a full scholarship immediately and a chance to play this year instead of hanging around his house playing video games until January of 2014. That would constitute a "better offer" to me.

Not if he truly loves Auburn as much as he says he does....And before anyone says recruits say stuff like that all the time they don't mean, IMO Hutch does not fit that profile.

Not if he truly loves Auburn as much as he says he does....And before anyone says recruits say stuff like that all the time they don't mean, IMO Hutch does not fit that profile.

I agree. Remember several weeks ago when he must have found out about the grey shirt from our coaches, he was very upset. Other commits were asking him about it on Twitter. It was pretty intense. He could have left then and did not.

My brother-in-law has a son that is a great kicker. All these kickers know each other. He knew what was going on with Hutch and Ohio State along with some other programs called on him, but he stuck with us. That says a lot.

I agree. Remember several weeks ago when he must have found out about the grey shirt from our coaches, he was very upset. Other commits were asking him about it on Twitter. It was pretty intense. He could have left then and did not.

My brother-in-law has a son that is a great kicker. All these kickers know each other. He knew what was going on with Hutch and Ohio State along with some other programs called on him, but he stuck with us. That says a lot.

Great info! Thanks!

If he gets one and feels its better for him and decides to accept it...i wish him the very best. Kids that would rather be someone besides Auburn need to go where they feel they need to be. I have no problem with that and I dont see why anyone else would. Worry about something thats worth worrying about

It's hard for me to see a kid being happy with paying a semester's tuition. But I don't know his situation. If he knew to expect this for months, then I'm ok with it.

He is not paying for a semester. He is waiting to enroll on Scholly next January.

Thanks. I asked about this before. Fine with that!

• 4 months later...

In case people are not checking the enrollment thread I created this one for max exposure to the good news. It will be merged with the enrollment thread in a few days after the word gets out.

Jimmy Hutchinson ‏@Kicker_8813m

Happy to announce that I'm apart of the 2013 class again and will be reporting to Auburn Aug. 1st #WDE #Auburn #Tigers

Here is a free story on Hutch getting in with quotes from Hutch. Link

AUBURN | Auburn football added one more piece to their 2013 signing class on Thursday, as Harrison (Ga.) kicker Jimmy Hutchinson officially enrolled and re-joined the Tigers' incoming class.

"It's official now," Hutchinson told AuburnSports.com Thursday night. "I'm really pumped and I'm glad I can show them what I can do and compete."

Hutchinson will report to Auburn on August 1.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound Hutchinson originally committed to Auburn in February of 2012 and was set to sign with the Tigers in February of 2013, but things changed.

Head coach Gus Malzahn arrived in December and quickly evaluated the scholarship numbers and formulated new plans to complete the Tigers' 2013 class.

Hutchinson was given the opportunity to grayshirt and arrive at Auburn in January after the fall semester, instead of being a part of the 2013 class and enrolling this summer.

That was Hutchinson's plan.

"I accepted that and was planning on doing that 100 percent. I wasn't looking anywhere else," said Hutchinson. "I was just going to kick and workout before January. I was O.K. with waiting."

But things changed again for Hutchinson earlier this summer when numbers opened up and Hutchinson was given an opportunity to enroll and arrive in Auburn in August.

He was elated to hear the news from Auburn's special teams coach Scott Fountain.

"I was really excited that things are back to how they were," said Hutchinson.

Hutchinson was the nation's No. 6 overall kicker by Rivals.com, a ranking that combines place kickers and punters. Hutchinson was recruited to Auburn as a punter.

Signee Daniel Carlson was recruited as a place kicker and enrolled at Auburn last week.

"My goals are to compete and learn from Steven (Clark) and come in my sophomore year and start, maybe compete during my freshman season," Hutchinson said.

That is awesome. Glad he didn't have to greyshirt but it's cool that he wants to come here so bad he'd do it. Can't question Jimmy's loyalty to AU. Congrats dude!

Does this mean that Earnest Robinson and/or Jason Smith are definitely going prep or JUCO?

Does this mean that Earnest Robinson and/or Jason Smith are definitely going prep or JUCO?

Yes. Though ellitor says otherwise, there was no reason to ask Hutch to grayshirt earlier and then take him in now except for the attrition that's occurred since signing day last February. Nothing has changed except for all the attrition. By my count if Robinson doesn't make it in we will have dropped 12 since the end of last season. Since a certain amount of attrition is predictable I was puzzled from the start as to why we'd give the nation's top punter a chance to choose another school. Thankfully, he stuck with Auburn.

Thinking back, I seem to remember a whole bunch of comments about how smart it was to greyshirt Hutch because of blah-blah-blah. It didn't make any sense to me then and it still doesn't today. If it made sense to hold him out those message board reasons would still hold today. So those reasons were not valid, leaving the question of roster spots being the only explanation for the change.

The coaches apparently wanted a number of vacancies held open and now the attrition has exceeded that number and Hutch is in. Good!

PS: Jason Smith is definitely headed to prep school and Robinson is in all likelihood headed for JUCO, if that's what you were concerned about.

Yes. There was no reason to ask Hutch to grayshirt earlier and then take him in now except for the attrition that's occurred since signing day last February.

Mikey is right. They staff had a plan and we woreking on there own numbers. Here is a free story on Hutch getting in with quotes from Hutch. It will be posted in the OP also. Link
AUBURN | Auburn football added one more piece to their 2013 signing class on Thursday, as Harrison (Ga.) kicker Jimmy Hutchinson officially enrolled and re-joined the Tigers' incoming class.

"It's official now," Hutchinson told AuburnSports.com Thursday night. "I'm really pumped and I'm glad I can show them what I can do and compete."

Hutchinson will report to Auburn on August 1.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound Hutchinson originally committed to Auburn in February of 2012 and was set to sign with the Tigers in February of 2013, but things changed.

Head coach Gus Malzahn arrived in December and quickly evaluated the scholarship numbers and formulated new plans to complete the Tigers' 2013 class.

Hutchinson was given the opportunity to grayshirt and arrive at Auburn in January after the fall semester, instead of being a part of the 2013 class and enrolling this summer.

That was Hutchinson's plan.

"I accepted that and was planning on doing that 100 percent. I wasn't looking anywhere else," said Hutchinson. "I was just going to kick and workout before January. I was O.K. with waiting."

But things changed again for Hutchinson earlier this summer when numbers opened up and Hutchinson was given an opportunity to enroll and arrive in Auburn in August.

He was elated to hear the news from Auburn's special teams coach Scott Fountain.

"I was really excited that things are back to how they were," said Hutchinson.

Hutchinson was the nation's No. 6 overall kicker by Rivals.com, a ranking that combines place kickers and punters. Hutchinson was recruited to Auburn as a punter.

Signee Daniel Carlson was recruited as a place kicker and enrolled at Auburn last week.

"My goals are to compete and learn from Steven (Clark) and come in my sophomore year and start, maybe compete during my freshman season," Hutchinson said.

I am very happy for Hutch. I was tough on him when AU asked him to Greyshirt. He has become close friends with Carlson and others. I know he is happy to be a part of the same class. I think going through fall practice and being a part of the team will really help, and make him comfortable. Our kicking game is in good shape.

I have never cared about a punter like this that I can remember. Hutch is going to be an important member of this team for the next few years.

Maybe Gus & Co. happened to see film of Clark's "work" last season and decided we may need Hutch sooner rather than later.

Archived