2013 3* P Jimmy Hutchinson commits to AU! (grayshirt)

RunInRed

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He would have red-shirted anyway, he knows where he wants to play and only wants to help the team. he will go on scholarship when Clark and Parkey are looking towards the NFL. A great big WAR DAMN EAGLE to him!

Question, once he signs the greyshirt, can he get on the team in the fall if we have attrition? Or is it a done deal for the spring 2014 semester?

Possibly.... we will have to wait on this to see how things pan out over spring and summer workouts.

Question, once he signs the greyshirt, can he get on the team in the fall if we have attrition? Or is it a done deal for the spring 2014 semester?

Yes, unless it has changed, he can come on the team earlier if there is attrition.

Team player in every sense of the word imo. I just know we give the Turds crap for grey-shirting and I hope there was no deception and the family knew all along that it was a strong possibility that we would not have enough scholarships and this might happen

If we sign 25 tomorrow, I believe that is all we can sign for the year even if some don't qualify.

I was thinking the math equaled 27 possible.

I guess we're worried about running up against the 85 man limit? Not generally a fan of greyshirting, but if he can afford it and wants to be an AU Tiger, I'm honored by his commitment. WDE

If we sign 25 tomorrow, I believe that is all we can sign for the year even if some don't qualify.

I was thinking the math equaled 27 possible.

That is correct.

We currently have 64 on scholarship currently with the 3 JC commits. That leaves 21 spots after the 3 JC guys bringing the total to 24. To sign 27, we have to clear 3 spots, Hutch being the first.

robby, signees don't count against the 85 limit when they sign. They only count when they are enrolled in school and actually attending classes. The 85 limit won't be in question until late May, and by then there will be enough normal attrition to open spaces. We won't be able to get to 85 this year under any circumstances. By my count, after Blakeley, Westerman, Moseley, Lemonier and Mack are subtracted, we currently have 62 on scholarship. We'll lose seven or eight more over the course of spring and summer. We'll be lucky to have 80 to work with, even after signing our max of 27.

There is only one reason to ask Hutchinson to take a greyshirt. We intend to sign 24 tomorrow and after adding the three early guys that will put us at this year's limit of 27. Otherwise Hutch would be signing tomorrow.

I'm really not a fan of the Grey Shirt approach. Dont like the practice no matter how its spun. Just being honest. I hope everything works out for Jimmy at AU.

I have to agree, especially with someone like Hutch who has been committed to us through all that's happened this year. But I do admire his conviction and hope that he can be an inspiration to other recruits and players to be committed to the school you want to play for no matter what.

Another think to not like about greyshirting: The player is under no obligation. If some other school wants him, he can sign with them and be gone.

He's good with it! And yes, his parents will trade 1 semester for 3.5 years in exchange. He will be here come August, if not sooner.

I think the difference between this and what we give Bama crap about is.... we informed him beforehand and asked him if he would be willing to accept it since he probably wouldn't see a lick of the field this season anyway and we have more needs at other positions. He accepted and seems Ok with it. I hope turns out to be a great kicker for us. I think Bama just over signs and loads up on all this talent, and then springs grey shirts on kids who do not want it, aren't expecting it, and could've signed elsewhere.

i am fairly certain that if jimmy waits until january 2014 to enroll,and pays his own way until he re-signs in febuary,he can be reimbursed for the scholarship for the money that he paid....he pays upfront and then gets his money back...pretty sure of this

I don't like it either. He's sounded happy about it, which helps. But he was committed right away. I'll assume there's a fuller version of the story because the way it looks isn't pretty.

I do not regard it as being a team player to slow down your education for a semester, or to pay, for another kid to get your scholarship. There are limits to being a team player. Rooting for this guy.

Archived