Projecting starters

tigerbrotha12

For Wash. St game-

Defense

SS- Whitehead

FS- McNeil (Holsey may make some strides)

Star- Garrett

CBs- Davis, Holsey, Mincy, Jones (heard Holsey switched to safety but don't know for sure)

LBs- Mitchell, Frost

DEs- Ford, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Eguae gets the start but Lawson plays significant minutes

DTs- Blackson, Wright

Offense

QB- Going to go with Marshall

RB- Mason

HB- Prosch

TE- Uzomah, Fulse

OL- Robinson, Diamond, Dismukes, Young, Slade

WR- Denson, Coates, Louis, Bray

Special teams

KOS- Parkey

K- Pakey

P- Clark

KRs- Grant, Mason

Pr- Bray

I know I've got more than 11 on both sides of the ball but its just when different formations are mixed up. Feel free to post thoughts or own projections.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the OL will be Robinson, Kozan/Danzey, Dismukes, Slade, Miller

gotta get Young in there.

Robinson, Danzey, Dismukes, Slade, Young

And OP why it Mitchell your starting LB, Frost will definitely be our starter. Other than that agree with everything else.

And OP why it Mitchell your starting LB, Frost will definitely be our starter. Other than that agree with everything else.

Two linebacker positions: the WILL and the MIKE; figure they will start there

And OP why is Mitchell your starting LB, Frost will definitely be our starter. Other than that agree with everything else.

Cass isn't playing MLB he is on the outside, leaving Frost at MLB and Cass to OLB.

Robinson, Danzey (Or Kozan), Dismukes, Slade, Miller (or Young)

Frazier, Mason, Prosch

Louis, Coates, Denson

Ford, Wright, Blackson, Equae (or Carter)

Frost, Holland, McKinzey (or Flowers)

Garrett, Holsey, Davis

McNeal

I don't get why everyone is so high Slade...? Yes, he is a 2 year starter, but he gets beat more times than not. So I would classify Slade as having 2 years of sub-par to average experience, at best. His job is also up for grabs coming out of spring ball. He might start, or he might not... But, I do know that Grimes is high on Danzy, and really high on Kozan! Those could very well be the starting guards... Just sayin.

I don't get why everyone is so high Slade...? Yes, he is a 2 year starter, but he gets beat more times than not. So I would classify Slade as having 2 years of sub-par to average experience, at best. His job is also up for grabs coming out of spring ball. He might start, or he might not... But, I do know that Grimes is high on Danzy, and really high on Kozan! Those could very well be the starting guards... Just sayin.

Slade, Dismukes, and Robinson are for sure starters.

Our whole offensive line's been whooped the last two years; don't put it all on Slade.

There's nothing like experience and continuity when it comes to OL in the SEC.

This must be the reason the op included Mitchell -

Auburn's JaViere Mitchell emerges from limited spring as possible contender at 'Will' linebacker

Print By Joel A. Erickson | jerickson@al.com

AUBURN, Alabama -- A few of Ellis Johnson's position moves since taking over as Auburn's defensive coordinator have paid off handsomely, particularly the shift that has unleashed Justin Garrett as a hybrid safety/linebacker.

Johnson also knows when to admit his first choice may not have been the right one.

After briefly experimenting with the idea that redshirt freshman JaViere Mitchell could make the same transition Garrett, Johnson scrapped his initial plan and moved Mitchell back to the 'Will' linebacker role in Auburn's 4-2-5 defense.

And the second move might have turned Mitchell into a serious contender for playing time next season against Cassanova McKinzy, who played the Will spot throughout the spring but still struggles with his assignments at times.

"I think he’s got a shot to be a starter," Johnson said. "I think he’s got a chance to jump right in the middle of it, s going to be in the two-deep and going to be competing for that job."

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson offers his thoughts on JaViere Mitchell's move back to linebacker and the promise the redshirt freshman showed in limited time there.

Mitchell, a long, lanky player who carries 220 pounds and has plenty of speed, seemed -- a lot like Garrett -- like the perfect candidate to move into the secondary and play Johnson's "Star" position, a hybrid linebacker-safety that brings most of the flexibility to the defense.

Unlike Garrett, though, Mitchell had very little high school experience playing in space. A star at Leeds High, Mitchell racked up 19 sacks as a defensive end, sometimes shifting inside to rush from the tackle position.

Trying to play a safety-type position left Mitchell obviously uncomfortable.

"We gave it long enough to see if he was natural there or if he needed to move back inside," Johnson said. "We decided he needed to move back inside, the first practice he was in there he looked like he’d practiced just as long as any other linebacker I had."

Playing the "Will" allowed Mitchell to use some of the skills he learned at Leeds. Always fast, Mitchell's speed is an asset going sideline-to-sideline in coverage, and his pass-rush ability fits perfectly at the "Will," which carries more blitzing responsibility than the "Mike."

Two days later, Mitchell suffered a concussion, a freak injury earned working with the first team when Garrett, the team's biggest hitter in the spring, accidentally popped Mitchell under the chin as they converged on a running back.

Mitchell was forced to miss a full week.

"I moved him back, I'm not so sure he wouldn't be one of my two starters inside, but he had the concussion, and it took four practices away from him," Johnson said. "I still think he's going to be in the mix for that Will linebacker job."

At 6-foot-2, Mitchell has the frame to add weight over the summer.

But Johnson wants his linebackers to be careful to put on weight without losing their explosive qualities. Sometimes, a linebacker puts on too much weight and suffers a drop in what Johnson calls "contact speed," an ability to drop their hips and explode into the tackle.

Obviously, an SEC linebacker takes a pounding in the box, but Johnson plans to rotate players inside.

"He's a physically strong linebacker," Johnson said. "I think he's big enough and strong enough and physical enough and durable enough. ... He tackles about as well as any other linebacker. If he can get bigger, it's always better, as long as you don't lose the ability to change direction."

Mitchell recovered from the concussion in time to finish the spring, but his real chance to make a move will come once practices start at the end of the summer.

After all, the redshirt freshman made a heck of an impression in only a handful of practices this spring.

Johnson is eager to see what Mitchell can do when given the chance to play linebacker full-time.

"He was making tackles and doing some things naturally fundamentally and then he got the concussion and he had a week out and he stepped back a bit," Johnson said. "I think he’s got a chance to jump right in the middle of it. He's going to be in the two-deep and going to be competing for that job."

Turns out Mitchell was in the right place all along.

I think Cassanova will be the starter, but Ellis Johnson needed something to light a fire under his butt hence that article. Then again, Johnson seems to be very, very high on JaViere.

A few excerpts from the article -

And Mitchell's move back from star to will linebacker might have turned Mitchell into a serious contender for playing time next season against Cassanova McKinzy, who played the Will spot throughout the spring but still struggles with his assignments at times.

Johnson on Mitchell: "I think he’s got a shot to be a starter," Johnson said. "I think he’s got a chance to jump right in the middle of it, he's going to be in the two-deep and going to be competing for that job."

"I moved him back to will, I'm not so sure he wouldn't be one of my two starters inside, but he had the concussion, and it took four practices away from him," Johnson said. "I still think he's going to be in the mix for that Will linebacker job."

On offense: just doing the OL for right now.

OL

1: Robinson, Kozan, Dismukes, Slade, Young

2: Coleman, Danzey, Faryike, Diamond, Miller

On defense: just doing the LBs and Ss.

S

1. Whitehead and Holsey/ King

2. Holsey/ King and DMc

LB

1. Frost and Cass

2. Flowers and Jake/ Jav

AUBURN TWO-DEEP OFFENSE *(Basically this entire offense is returning in '14)

Quarterback: Nick Marshall, JR. Runningback: Tre Mason, JR.H-back:Jay Prosch, SR.

Kiehl Frazier, JR. Cameron Artis-Payne, JR. Ricky Parks, RSFR.

Wide Receiver:Jaylon Denson, JR. Flanker: Trovon Reed, JR. Slot: Quan Bray, JR.

Sammie Coates, SO. Ricardo Louis, SO. Corey Grant, JR.

Tight End: C.J. Uzomah, JR. Left Tackle: Greg Robinson, JR. Left Guard: Alex Kozan, RSFR.

Brandon Fulse, JR. Shon Coleman, RSFR. Devonte Danzey, SO.

Center: Reese Dismukes, JR. Right Tackle: Patrick Miller, SO. Right Guard: Chad Slade, JR.

Tunde Fariyike, JR. Avery Young, SO. Jordan Diamond RSFR.

AUBURN TWO-DEEP DEFENSE

Defensive End: Dee Ford, SR. Defensive Tackle: Jeffrey Whittaker, SR. Defensive Tackle: Gabe Wright, JR.

Craig Sanders, SR. Ben Bradley, SO. Angelo Blackson, JR.

Defensive End: Carl Lawson, TRFR. Mike Linebacker: Chris Frost, SO. Will Linebacker: Cassanova Mckinzy, SO.

Kenneth Carter, SR. Jake Holland, SR. JaViere Mitchell, RSFR.

Star: Justin Garrett, JR. Boundary Cornerback: Chris Davis, SR. Field Cornerback: Jonathan Mincy, JR.

Robenson Therezie, JR. Ryan White, SR. Jonathan Jones, SO.

Field Safety: Jermaine Whitehead, JR. Boundary Safety: Joshua Hosley, SO.

Ryan Smith, SR. Brandon King, JR.

I simply edited my post from changing 2 DEEP to TWO-DEEP and it shifted all of the formatting to the left-hand side. The starters are in a larger font while the backups for each position are underneath them but shifted to the left a little sheesh.

Young's going to have to prove he's 100% full speed and healthy before I put him over Miller, though I think Young is one of the most talented guys on the team. Remember, Miller was very highly recruited, too - he very well could be starting for LSU right now, so he's no slouch.

OL: GRob, Kozan, RD, Slade/Diamond, Pat/Avery

QB: Nick

RB: Tre/CAP

HB: Prosch

TE: C.J.

WR: Jaylon, Ricardo, Quan

DE: Dee, Carter, Key, Carl

DT: Gabe, Angelo, BBradley, Jeff

LB: Kris, Javy/Cass

Star: Justin

CB: Davis, Mincy

S: King, Holsey

Robinson, Danzey (Or Kozan), Dismukes, Slade, Miller (or Young)

Frazier, Mason, Prosch

Louis, Coates, Denson

Ford, Wright, Blackson, Equae (or Carter)

Frost, Holland, McKinzey (or Flowers)

Garrett, Holsey, Davis

McNeal

Nick Marshall, Mason, Prosch

And OP why is Mitchell your starting LB, Frost will definitely be our starter. Other than that agree with everything else.

Cass isn't playing MLB he is on the outside, leaving Frost at MLB and Cass to OLB.

I know that! FYI, Cass and Mitchell are competeing for Will LB.

Our whole offensive line's been whooped the last two years; don't put it all on Slade.

How do you know Slade is a "for sure" starter? That's my point... Nobody's job is secure. That includes Greg Robinson. The only OL I would pencil in as a starter, is Reese...

Trust me when I say, Grimes is high on guards Danzy and Kozan. Kozan is his favorite, by far! So that's gonna leave somebody out... Don't be surprised to see Danzy and Kozan at the guards is all I'm saying. There are no "for sures" yet.

How do you know Slade is a "for sure" starter? That's my point... Nobody's job is secure. That includes Greg Robinson. The only OL I would pencil in as a starter, is Reese...

Trust me when I say, Grimes is high on guards Danzy and Kozan. Kozan is his favorite, by far! So that's gonna leave somebody out... Don't be surprised to see Danzy and Kozan at the guards is all I'm saying. There are no "for sures" yet.

Because Danzy and Kozan are battling for one of the guard spots according to Grimes, specifically the LG position with Kozan being the leader there.

And if you don't think Greg Robinson's position as 1st team OT isn't secure then I'm not gonna continue this debate any longer because it would be a waste of my time.

You win. I lose.

Based on last season Robinson would seem like a lock but not too much would surprise me with this line. If we are basing this projection on last season, Young (healthy) easily beats out Miller and I hope someone beats Slade. I don't think I ever remember this many 4 and 5 star rated guys battling for our O-line spots. Those star rankings are null and void now but we couldn't have asked for much better recruits at the time they signed. I think Gus will find a combination that will move the ball and give a QB a fighting chance. I'm very optimistic is this group as a whole.

According to Rivals, Auburn signed the #1 nationally ranked OL class in 2010, the #5 OL class in 2011, and the #2 OL class in 2012 and though there has been some attrition, you're starting to see the outstanding offensive line recruiting for Auburn translate into a star studded two-deep along the line, which is very, very encouraging.

Archived